Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Stairmaster posted:

Also why is sean schmmel doing a batman voice for black goku instead of just using the SSJ4 voice.

Because at point of recording he had no idea what Goku Black was like at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Well if the scouter said it then it must be true.

Yeah, actually. It's a plot point that the villains trust their scouters completely but the heroes are capable of HIDING their power. The amount of power we see someone show is by no means their ceiling but it's a level of power they have.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the scouter was always accurate to whatever someone's power was at the time, freeza's goons and the saiyans just didn't understand the concept of not being at full power all the time

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It makes it unrelated to the point he's making because most of Super has been related to the overall draft that Toriyama drew up for the series.

Cool.

So was the DBZ anime.

Also I'm loving the logic: "Scouters always underestimate power therefore they must be overestimating Krillin's power on Namek."

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I want Frost to get a Piccolo style redemption story where one of the many orphans he took in for good PR still believes in him.

I actually genuinely liked that the twist to Frost isn't being good Frieza but good PR Frieza, but dude's different enough from Frieza that I'd also enjoy a redemption arc for the guy.

Can't say I liked the manga version of this as much. Staring Zamasu down so hard he vaporises feels a lot more menacing than an energy beam that turns him into a dust.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Cool.

So was the DBZ anime.
except the bits that are not in the pre-existing manga which the anime was an adaptation of, such as the bit being referred to.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mangas arent even real, if you think about it. Trust only what you hear, read nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Mangas arent even real, if you think about it. Trust only what you hear, read nothing.

what if you read the manga aloud

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

I'm not sure why he isn't just re-using his frieza voice except talk like a good british person instead of evil.

Also why is sean schmmel doing a batman voice for black goku instead of just using the SSJ4 voice.

They had like one episode with Black in it to go off of

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

what if you read the manga aloud

I hate the manga for the same reason I hate the subbed anime: I am completely illiterate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ok but get this

what if you had someone else read it aloud for you

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok but get this

brilliant. outstanding. wonderful.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok but get this

Do they read him as Granny Goku, or Superhero Goku?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also I'm loving the logic: "Scouters always underestimate power therefore they must be overestimating Krillin's power on Namek."

Strange argument but I'm sure you have your reasons for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok but get this

only if they're reading the japanese manga i dont want any of this dub manga garbage

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Schrodinger's Krillin: Krillin can't be proven to be weaker or stronger than someone unless directly punched.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Toriyama is my uncle and he reads me dragon ball stories when I got to sleep.

Also he told me fake namek is canon

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Cool.

So was the DBZ anime.

Maybe you don't quite get it. The original script for Dragonball was the manga. The anime was made because it was popular, but to stretch out time they had to make filler sequences. These filler sequences sometimes contain incorrect or outright false information about what is later established in the series. Like there are filler examples that contradict later occurrences in the anime. That is why as a rule, we ignore the anime only additions, because otherwise we'll be discussing constantly in circles about contradictions and false information.

Dragonball Super is being done as an anime first, manga second sort of way. This is because Toriyama has most input on the anime this time around, while the manga only receives certain input, which is why we have discrepancies such as the manga not having any SSJBlue kaioken.

If we don't conform to this assumption, we're only going to argue in circles. At least if you are making an argument involving fillers make it specifically clear.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goku and Piccolo getting their driver's license is 110% canon however.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's more like they're concurrent things and considering that Toyotaro and the anime both have input from Toriyama, anything that features in both can be considered important and anything else can be considered more on the level of the filler episodes like fake namek or whatever in terms of importance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

arale is stronger than goku and vegeta

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

You know what I want to see? the original drafts of the manga before Toriyama's editors told him to ditch 19 and 20 and make Buu and whatnot. I wonder what that looks like plotwise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pureauthor posted:

Because at point of recording he had no idea what Goku Black was like at all.

I wish there was some sort of secret, deleted recording with Schmmel trying to voice a Black Goku.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

You know what I want to see? the original drafts of the manga before Toriyama's editors told him to ditch 19 and 20 and make Buu and whatnot. I wonder what that looks like plotwise.

they didn't exist because Toriyama was infamous for putting work off to the last minute and writing off the cuff.

He would introduce a thing, his editors would react, and he'd either change it or rebel against it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

arale is stronger than goku and vegeta

Yes, this is canon.

Forever and ever the DB Wiki will have to deal with the fact that a tiny joke robot is much stronger than Vegeta.

It is great.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Tfs not having cell as the #2 villain just for some forced db nostalgia over king piccolo is stupid

Getting mad over internet lists is stupid too but you know

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this is canon.

Forever and ever the DB Wiki will have to deal with the fact that a tiny joke robot is much stronger than Vegeta.

It is great.

At least Arale acknowledged their strength this time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the culminator posted:

Tfs not having cell as the #2 villain just for some forced db nostalgia over king piccolo is stupid

Cell is a lovely villian with zero motivation.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Cell is a lovely villian with zero motivation.

his motivation is perfect

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kild posted:

his motivation is perfect

King Piccolo effectively changed the tone of the entire series.

He deserves to be higher.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea piccolo is where the shift from early dragon ball to dragon ball z started

perfect cell's a fun bad guy tho

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Piccolowns.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Cell was involved in a lot more major moments. King Piccolo is obviously top 5, But having him above Cell is really only because of this whole "well nobody actually cares about db more than Z but we have to pretend to"

Cells personality, design, fights, voice acting in every dub were all much better

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Do we still celebrate a Cell Day? No? Then fuc u

the culminator posted:

well nobody actually cares about db more than Z

I do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the culminator posted:

Cell was involved in a lot more major moments. King Piccolo is obviously top 5, But having him above Cell is really only because of this whole "well nobody actually cares about db more than Z but we have to pretend to"

Cells personality, design, fights, voice acting in every dub were all much better

I care about Dragonball more than DBZ, in no small part because I think it does humor better, I think it juggles a large cast better and its fight choreography tends to be more creative and depend less on transformations and infinite regeneration.

This also isn't nostalgia because like most people here I watched Dragonball Z long before I watched Dragonball.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 21, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't say that cell has more major moments than king piccolo tbh and piccolo starts a lot of things that get used for the rest of the series

like piccolo causes the first major character deaths in the series, for example

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the culminator posted:

Demon King Piccolo should rightfully be the second place. I'd argue first place, but Freezer's impact on the series is far too great to ignore if only through the creation of SSJ.

Demon King Piccolo is the first DBZ-style villain, who had true global schemes, and his actions resulted in the deaths of most of the cast. He even killed the Dragon after getting his wish, something unprecedented.

His sheer impact and role in Goku's life is second only to Freeza. Vegeta will likely get second place, but he really shouldn't since most of his role is just that of Rival.

Vegeta is basically the second Piccolo but done over again, and only able to keep up with Goku as he has been through the fact that he is also a Sayian.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Team four star and his list

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ImpAtom posted:

King Pickle-clowns.

Just kidding, Piccolo does own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom