Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would never buy a Wii U, but if I had one, I would never sell it. There are games on it that I want to play, and, since I would never buy one, selling it would mean I could never play them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Snak posted:

I would never buy a Wii U, but if I had one, I would never sell it. There are games on it that I want to play, and, since I would never buy one, selling it would mean I could never play them again.

You should buy one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Wii U has the best exclusives out of any of the current gen consoles + is extremely good

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I just looked it up and Tokyo Mirage Sessions was released in December 2015. Paper Mario Color Splash was the only notable Wii U release in 2016, and even that has problems with simple combat and Toads Toads Toads.

I mean, yeah it has good exclusives, but it's got a very shallow pool of games to choose from compared to PS4 or XBone. There are more good games not available on the Wii U than vice versa.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 21, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TMS was this year in the US.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Regy Rusty posted:

TMS was this year in the US.

So it was. I thought so, but a cursory look at Google messed me up.

I should be clear and say I own a Wii U and I like that I have it. It collects a lot of dust but it also has cool games unavailable elsewhere. I even spent a lot of time trying to make Wii Fit U a part of my life. But it's a supplement to another console or PC if you really enjoy video games.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 21, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii U/3DS had thin amount of software this year because Nintendo moved all their development teams over to Switch, leaving only the small teams to work on stuff like Mario Party Toad Whatever, Boxboxboy, etc

Even Color Splash is by IntSys who outside of Paper Mario usually handles niche-ier stuff like TBS games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Bloodborne on Wii U?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the Wii U doesn't have a million good games, but it does have a few games that are millions of good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Is Bloodborne on Wii U?
no but Splatoon outsold Bloodborne which still is crazy

That is in no way relevant but I always think of that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you angle the gamepad right you could probably play it off the reflection of the tv running bloodborne

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the best game on the 3DS came out this year, yes I'm talking about Picross 3D: Round 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

devtesla posted:

the best game on the 3DS came out this year, yes I'm talking about Picross 3D: Round 2
You are correct, except it was the best game on any platform

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

devtesla posted:

This is true

I figured I was done with it but I've been casually slowly replaying it to get all rainbow gems. I can't get enough.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Skipping the Wii and getting a Wii-U was an incredibly good choice. Nintendo is usually pretty good about backwards compatibility and their first-party games age very well, so it's a good company to buy a system from every other generation imo

EDIT: Bayonetta 2 and Mario Maker are fantastic

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 21, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wizard on a water slide posted:

Dude I have no loving idea. I played through that game twice and wondered exactly the same thing the second time. It's so quick that as the player I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be an early glimpse of the wendigo, a dumb movie effect Josh was using to try and jumpscare them, or something else entirely.

It's the second of those two things. You can see him setting it up later when he flashes back

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wizard on a water slide posted:

Skipping the Wii and getting a Wii-U was an incredibly good choice. Nintendo is usually pretty good about backwards compatibility and their first-party games age very well, so it's a good company to buy a system from every other generation imo

EDIT: Bayonetta 2 and Mario Maker are fantastic

Bayonetta 2 + 1 HD is an amazing bundle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wonder how much it'd cost me to get a wii u again

I seem to enjoy doing this to myself, this 'selling consoles because i need cash but then i want the consoles back' thing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Fun fact: that's not my av

My av is just this

lol

I keep thinking you're rocking a sexy Raiden when I glance at your whole situation, then I'm like "Oh yeah it's Joseph."

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can still get a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo for $200, or $215 with Mario 3D World

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I also wonder if I'd still have access to the three or four games I bought digitally on that thing

Probably not knowing Nintendo's hilarious online infrastructure but I'm prepared to be surprised

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

I love the mario brothers movie and nobody will be able to convince me that it isn't a great movie. It's just a fun, dumb, silly movie and it takes the material and does interesting poo poo with it that I adore. It's great.

It ironically would be more interesting to me if it didn't so hard into camp and attempts at comedy. An actual serious take on the ridiculous "gritty dystopian cyberpunk mushroom kingdom" concept would kind of be admirable. Instead they sort of use the humor to be like "heh, isn't this idea dumb? If you don't like it it's because we're being ironic", which is insufferable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am waiting for Golden to go on sale, gonna play the heck out of it.

Golden is great but I think another big Vita sale would be unlikely at best

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Wii U was good for 2014 and 2015 and then it just sort of died.

The Switch will do exactly the same thing, a handful of good first party stuff for a couple of years. Nintendo are hosed as a home console manufacturer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

devtesla posted:

too easy imho

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

yeah that's twice as much as I would care enough to pay for one. I'm not saying it's not a fair price, I'm just saying I picked PS4 and it has been worth it. I don't have the budget to spend 200 dollars for the opportunity to spend more money on games. Plus, hopefully, if I don't play too many video games, I'm going to graduate from college after the spring semester and get a real job. So maybe sometime after that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

The Wii U was good for 2014 and 2015 and then it just sort of died.

The Switch will do exactly the same thing, a handful of good first party stuff for a couple of years. Nintendo are hosed as a home console manufacturer.

imo it's dependant on whether 3DS/Vita development shifts to the switch or they all evaporate and move to mobile

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Snak posted:

Ah yes, the famous Gamer's Paradox.

The Wii-U might actually be the only Nintendo console I will never own. Not by choice, though, but rather because I became Poor after completing university and grad school and could never secure a permanent job and moved around a lot.

It makes me very sad actually because I want to play so many of those games. By the time (if ever) my girlfriend and I can get permanent gigs it'll probably be so late that there wouldn't be much point in getting one anymore.

Motto posted:

imo it's dependant on whether 3DS/Vita development shifts to the switch or they all evaporate and move to mobile

Nintendo has absolutely crushed the handheld market since the Game Boy and that doesn't seem to be changing. Their performance with consoles has been making GBS threads beds since the N64 (with the exception of the Wii, but they were tapping different markets with that one). The Switch being semi-mobile is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting to see from them and I would not be surprised if they drop home console development altogether in the near future.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 21, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Really Pants posted:

Golden is great but I think another big Vita sale would be unlikely at best

also its down to like £6.99 now in the uk isnt it just at sale level prices constantly now

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

also its down to like £6.99 now in the uk isnt it just at sale level prices constantly now

I mean that's more than I'd pay for a sandwich

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v65UBwzRM5Q

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Switch is already a portable that you can plug into the TV so Nintendo can pretend they're not dropping the home console market.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

Is Bloodborne on Wii U?
Sure is... on videos in the Youtube app

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

The Switch is already a portable that you can plug into the TV so Nintendo can pretend they're not dropping the home console market.

Yeah exactly. This is why I described it as "semi-mobile" instead of just outright calling it a handheld. It literally is just a handheld system with HDMI-out, but it's still heavily marketed as a home console.

Edit: Well, it is still far too bulky to be "literally just a handheld." It's clearly not meant to be carried around with you in the same way a DS is, but that seems to be the direction they're going. Be on the lookout for the Switch Slim in 2019!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 21, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

The Vita TV was a nonportable that you had to plug into a TV so Sony could pretend they're not dropping the handheld market

Okay I guess I can't quite shoehorn that in there

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The Nintendo Switch is the ultimate TV off gamepad - this time without having to fear you're out of range of the console.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rexroom posted:

The Nintendo Switch is the ultimate TV off gamepad - this time without having to fear you're out of range of the console.

thats called a ps vita/android phone/any windows or mac laptop + a ps4

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
MS seriously needs to let their streaming out of the Win10 ghetto, at least on phones and tablets.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How is it that YOU FUCKERS talk about METROIDVANIAS every week and I have to find out about SLAIN: Back from Hell from Penny Arcade's First 15?!?!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

because people had a really bad first impression of Slain when it first came out and it only got patched later

• Locked thread