Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

How is it that YOU FUCKERS talk about METROIDVANIAS every week and I have to find out about SLAIN: Back from Hell from Penny Arcade's First 15?!?!!!

It's not a metroidvania, it's more like a classic Castlevania game. It was also really loving bad at launch but eventually got patched into something decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

because people had a really bad first impression of Slain when it first came out and it only got patched later

Oh. Okay.

edit: Castlevania games don't belong under the metroidvania umbrella? what the gently caress?

It's cool, the PSStore crashed when I tried to buy it just now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Snak posted:

How is it that YOU FUCKERS talk about METROIDVANIAS every week and I have to find out about SLAIN: Back from Hell from Penny Arcade's First 15?!?!!!

Because games that are bad on release tend not to get another chance from most people. See also: The Division, most early access games

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Stux posted:

thats called a ps vita/android phone/any windows or mac laptop + a ps4

I haven't heard of anyone use those combos seriously, though. Yes, even the PS Vita.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would use remote play on vita more if it had L2/R2 buttons

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I used our Vita for remote play once, got frustrated at the input lag and just said gently caress it

Is Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness worth 20 American dollars? Given the caveat that yes, I do enjoy stupid anime bullshit

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rexroom posted:

I haven't heard of anyone use those combos seriously, though. Yes, even the PS Vita.

It also adds network poo poo as a latency-inducing failure point, while the Switch has all the stuff running the game in it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

should I have heard of it? I see mostly meh reviews

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I used our Vita for remote play once, got frustrated at the input lag and just said gently caress it

Is Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness worth 20 American dollars? Given the caveat that yes, I do enjoy stupid anime bullshit

If you've seen and liked the anime probably, otherwise nah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rexroom posted:

hello its me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol if you think i will let a small detail such as not being home stop me from playing persona 5 when it comes out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It ironically would be more interesting to me if it didn't so hard into camp and attempts at comedy. An actual serious take on the ridiculous "gritty dystopian cyberpunk mushroom kingdom" concept would kind of be admirable. Instead they sort of use the humor to be like "heh, isn't this idea dumb? If you don't like it it's because we're being ironic", which is insufferable.

I never got a sense of irony from the movie, it always felt very sincere to me.

oddium posted:

100 foot robot golf

What ended up being bad about this? I mean, I thought it looked slow and not that fun but I'm curious what someone who actually played it has to say about it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Ah yes, the famous Gamer's Paradox.

The Wii-U might actually be the only Nintendo console I will never own. Not by choice, though, but rather because I became Poor after completing university and grad school and could never secure a permanent job and moved around a lot.

It makes me very sad actually because I want to play so many of those games. By the time (if ever) my girlfriend and I can get permanent gigs it'll probably be so late that there wouldn't be much point in getting one anymore.

I don't get this logic. If you're just thinking of Splatoon and maybe Mario Maker then sure but Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze and W101 aren't going to suddenly become less amazing just because it's 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

I don't get this logic. If you're just thinking of Splatoon and maybe Mario Maker then sure but Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze and W101 aren't going to suddenly become less amazing just because it's 2017

That is true, yes, but I was thinking of a hypothetical time way beyond 2017 because I am that cynical over our ability to obtain secure employment and pay off debts (essential before getting video game consoles). Though Wii-U services might last a long rear end time. Isn't the Shop Channel still active on the original Wii?

And yes, Splatoon and Mario Maker factored heavily into it, though I suspect they will get sequels/updates on future systems.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

What ended up being bad about this? I mean, I thought it looked slow and not that fun but I'm curious what someone who actually played it has to say about it.
It's bad compared to Tiger Woods or Hot Shots but it's okay for an indie golf game with some weird gimmicks and a bit of jank. It's also really geared for multiplayer and never attracted a community so you need to bully a friend into playing it or it'll seem pretty flat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
SLAIN: Back from Hell is pretty fun so far, but I never played much Castlevania, so probably the gameplay is not up to snuff. Great soundtrack so far, though. Also, executing a boss after the fight and then headbanging as a giant fountain of blood continually gushes from their neck is pretty cool.

edit: also, fuckin lol

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 21, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The only good golf games are Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour for GameCube and Microsoft Golf for Windows 95

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

That is true, yes, but I was thinking of a hypothetical time way beyond 2017 because I am that cynical over our ability to obtain secure employment and pay off debts (essential before getting video game consoles). Though Wii-U services might last a long rear end time. Isn't the Shop Channel still active on the original Wii?

And yes, Splatoon and Mario Maker factored heavily into it, though I suspect they will get sequels/updates on future systems.

That's fair. I still play my SNES regularly though :shobon: And yeah you can still buy stuff through the Wii storefront (so OB64 in bed is sorta doable)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tropical Freeze is so amazing, I think I like it more than Mario 3D World

Pikmin 3 is also epic

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

I still play my SNES regularly though

I would too if I still had it around. Someday I'll take it from my parent's attic and ship it back here (or wherever we are by that time), along with my N64 from my in-law's garage, and buy flash carts for them. Gaming goals.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Void is finally back on Steam again after a long time of being unvailable.

It's a good game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ugh man.. all this talk about the Wii U and I keep forgetting to buy it. I know you guys will say buy it, believe me I wanna.

But I'm gonna be unemployed soon and taking a break from QA because all the crunch hours(also surprise I was QA for Telltale) so I want to save up much as I can. :v:

One of these days I will get a Wii U.

Sigh.. one day Bayonetta 2. One day.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So apparently my parents need more gift suggestions, what are some good games I may want to get

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

So apparently my parents need more gift suggestions, what are some good games I may want to get

Stardew Valley

Quell

Crimzon Clover World Ignition

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lizard Wizard posted:

super mario bros

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lizard Wizard posted:

smt4A

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ask your parents for Onechanbara Z2: Chaos - 'Banana Split' Edition

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pandemic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SEGA has the best promo material these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UhT_AXorI

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

A gift card

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Boo this man.gif

edit: Sorry I just think gift cards are just tacky. Like I get the gist, oh hey get what you want with this but it just screams lazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

SEGA has the best promo material these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UhT_AXorI

Oh my god. That's great.

Also, I need to set money aside for this. It will be my first Yakuza game.

Actually, I probably won't get it, because I need to focus on school this semester. I'll probably get it when I graduate.

Dumb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neat (man the pre-lite ds designs were ugly)
https://twitter.com/VanamoMedia/status/811692127759413248

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Stux posted:

also its down to like £6.99 now in the uk isnt it just at sale level prices constantly now

Still $29.99 in the US PS store, which isn't bad but with the amount of stuff I have sitting there untouched waiting until either PSN shuts down or it goes on sale is a better option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Boo this man.gif

edit: Sorry I just think gift cards are just tacky. Like I get the gist, oh hey get what you want with this but it just screams lazy.

The problem is when you have parents like mine whose idea of Christmas gift hints are "oh you know I don't really want anything I'll like whatever you get me" while also being lovely about letting you know what they already have.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shindragon posted:

Boo this man.gif

I had to do two out of seven gifts as gift cards this year 'cos i just didn't have a goddamn clue :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gift cards make literally zero sense given that cash is a thing that exists. Especially prepaid debit gift cards.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Still $29.99 in the US PS store, which isn't bad but with the amount of stuff I have sitting there untouched waiting until either PSN shuts down or it goes on sale is a better option.

yeah id wait, i doubt atlus is going to just leave it at that price forever seeing how they love doing price drops constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

precision posted:

Gift cards make literally zero sense given that cash is a thing that exists. Especially prepaid debit gift cards.

you can't spend cash online grandpa

• Locked thread