Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
:getin: or :frogout:
This poll is closed.
:boom: 38 17.35%
yes 34 15.53%
no 18 8.22%
maybe 22 10.05%
paging pagancow 40 18.26%
all of the above 24 10.96%
:same: 43 19.63%
Total: 77 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

totally worth it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Funhilde posted:

I won't be able to work on my gift until after January 6th. I did do a little bit of a search on Adafruit to try to figure out what I have and I found some but not all of it.

That's fine, no pressure! It's supposed to be fun.

Here is a decent reference to get you flashing the built-in LEDs within a few minutes! You don't need to do any soldering yet to get started with the software.

If you're not using Windows you can skip the step about installing drivers.

Go copy and paste that code from the tutorial into the Arduino IDE, then mess around with it. Make the built-in LEDs flash faster or slower, or different colors--even try to break it. There's no risk of breaking anything permanently, so be brave (when you have time). Playing with it will be the fastest way to learn.

Those LEDs on the red circuit boards are just standard white LEDs, not fancy "Neopixels". If you want to play with them without writing code first, you can use those alligator clips to hook one to the Flora's 3.3V pad, and another wire to the Flora's ground pad. Those LEDs already have resistors in series (the little black squares soldered to the board) so you don't need to put your own in. Oh, and if they don't turn on, switch the wires. They're directional but wiring them backwards won't damage anything.

Here's beginner tutorial about LEDs that you can skim at first and then re-read if necessary. They go into a lot of detail that might not be useful yet.

Once you've played around with the LEDs and the battery pack, consider wiring them to the Flora and using code (based off the previous tutorial) to flash them on an off.

E: I changed the above slightly because the LEDs could get damaged being run directly from the battery pack

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 21, 2016

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

meatpotato posted:

That's fine, no pressure! It's supposed to be fun.

Here is a decent reference to get you flashing the built-in LEDs within a few minutes! You don't need to do any soldering yet to get started with the software.

If you're not using Windows you can skip the step about installing drivers.

Go copy and paste that code from the tutorial into the Arduino IDE, then mess around with it. Make the built-in LEDs flash faster or slower, or different colors--even try to break it. There's no risk of breaking anything permanently, so be brave (when you have time). Playing with it will be the fastest way to learn.

Those LEDs on the red circuit boards are just standard white LEDs, not fancy "Neopixels". If you want to play with them without writing code first, you can use those alligator clips to hook one to the Flora's 3.3V pad, and another wire to the Flora's ground pad. Those LEDs already have resistors in series (the little black squares soldered to the board) so you don't need to put your own in. Oh, and if they don't turn on, switch the wires. They're directional but wiring them backwards won't damage anything.

Here's beginner tutorial about LEDs that you can skim at first and then re-read if necessary. They go into a lot of detail that might not be useful yet.

Once you've played around with the LEDs and the battery pack, consider wiring them to the Flora and using code (based off the previous tutorial) to flash them on an off.

E: I changed the above slightly because the LEDs could get damaged being run directly from the battery pack

sweet thanks!
Didn't feel pressure but just noticed there was more than just the basic flora kits that you gave me. :) I've got to figure out what I want to make for myself that will utilize it all!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
crazy little taste the malory

and then probe me fore it lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

thank you for confirming that bump_fn is in fact shorthand for bump fuckin

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Valeyard posted:

Santa, I have received your package just now (part 1) and will post about it tonight :tipshat: thank you very much!

you have very neat writing and very neat wrapping skills

i was waiting on some stuff to be deliverd and also for the UPS guy to come today so when the door went I wasnt expecting the secret santa delivery

Has part 2 arrived yet? its the best part and I sent them both at the same time :ohdear:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Roosevelt posted:

text me

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Roosevelt posted:

this is canon now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hello suffix

The tracking # for your package said:
"An attempt has been made to deliver the shipment, but the recipient/address was not found. The shipment can be collected at your pick up point."

Have you received the notification of the missed delivery? If not, report in the thread so your Santa can forward the pickup information for you.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
my gift arrived at customs :pray:

edit: oh actually it's on route to customs

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 21, 2016

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

looked like function to me ?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

aaaawwww shiiiiit son

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:tfrxmas:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

aaaawwww shiiiiit son

mine's gettin close too :f5:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thats it

mine hasn't posted in here but it shows as being picked up and signed

kinda lame to not even acknowledge it :catstare:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think in several cases people have jobs that keep them away from home and you end up with neighbours, spouses and hobos signing for the packages

I didn't hear back from my GBS santee for over a week

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I didn't hear back from my GBS santee for over a week

run this motherfucker out on a rail

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Someone unboxed the first handmade giant dildo already, only an idiot would want to miss out on that kind of opportunity

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

holey moley they're all wrapped up, maybe I should actually wait until xmas day??

I opened them up the other night,

(same)

but had to wait until today to check the disk because I left the USB floppy drive at work

squidward will judge me and my operating system preferences

YOSPOS BITHC

green POS is best POS

here's a better picture of that sweet wrapping paper, btw:

I suck at IRL basketball, so this should help me practice

um yeah Lego loving rules

F-14s rule

gotta get footage of this hovering around

and also find some AAA batteries for my new 386 radio

forgot to take pictures of the lightbulb, which despite being dim is perfect for ambient light in my bedroom

wat

having not read the .doc on the floppy yet, I was weary to plug unidentified USB devices into my computer, so I sacrificed my MacBook instead:

they're both a lot brighter than I expected

need to buy a new tip for my soldering iron lol. cool stickers too. speaking of VHS,

where the heck am I gonna find a working tape deck so I can rip this for the 'POS?? actually it's on youtube, so I'm going to keep this in its 28-year-old shrinkwrap for posterity

Thanks for all the rad gifts, Samuel L. ACKSYN! hope you have a merry yosmas as well

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
that is very nice

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Kuvo posted:

also arch linux is werid

I had to install enlightenment because gnome 3 ran like dogshit

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Annual Gift Panda posted:

gnome 3 is dogshit

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gnome 3 is fine and good

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

gnome 3 is fine and good

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Symbolic Butt posted:

gnome 3 is fine and good

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

samuel l acksyn for president

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

flakeloaf posted:

samuel l acksyn for president

for real, holy poo poo

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

for real, holy poo poo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hello Samuel L ACKSYN

your santa says to be on the look out for your gift on friday

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

OPEN THIS FIRST.txt contained a 12 digit key, which upon entering into steam on my desktop pc, revealed a copy of universe sandbox. definitely trying this out after work

this game is pretty

also it lets me simulate how i hope 2017 turns out
https://i.imgur.com/VHF016X.mp4

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I am a terrible Santa and only just sent out the first two portions of my gift today (Priority Mail though so it should get there on Friday). The third, and booziest part will ship within the next day or two, and should arrive just in time for post-family-gathering heavy drinking.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
flying spaceman needs to be a flying dildo instead

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Migishu posted:

flying spaceman needs to be a flying dildo instead

i always liked the flying gently caress

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
went to the mail room and what have we here?

immediately, it is Canadian a f:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lots of Canadian goodies inside!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

C.H.O.M.E posted:

not a single coffee crisp in sight

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
in Canada smarties are like m&ms, cookies taste like breakfast syrup, and you eat dehydrated ketchup. weird, but good. thanks!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

:jackbud:

C.H.O.M.E posted:

:jackbud::jackbud::jackbud::jackbud::jackbud::jackbud::jackbud::jackbud:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thanks chome :( sorry for getting antsy :(

hope you enjoy :D im glad the glass thing didnt break

the bbq sauce has birch syrup from BC in it so it'll be pretty sweet on whatever you put it on

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Vintersorg posted:

thanks chome :( sorry for getting antsy :(

hope you enjoy :D im glad the glass thing didnt break

the bbq sauce has birch syrup from BC in it so it'll be pretty sweet on whatever you put it on

no problem at all! I had not checked the mail in a couple days so it may have been sitting there. when I got the reminder I got that kid on Christmas morning feeling and checked it as soon as I got home. I will have to try the BBQ sauce on some pork or chicken soon!

super good gift, thanks vintersorg!

• Locked thread