Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The ringer has a lot more chaff than grantland did but it's not really trying to do the same thing and there's still quite a bit of good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the way i see it someone leaving espn is like most people leaving wwe, they'll never be bigger than the brand

simmons understandably thought he could break the trend, but it's not working out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SalvationArmyUS/status/810686519937761280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lol even the salvation army is owning rovell

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jackie D posted:

Is the ringer WCW or TNA in this analogy

It's a pale imitation that needs to be taken out now before Billy Corgan gets involved.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The first person served was Darren.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

The first person served was Darren.

:thurman:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Congratulations Rovell, you made me want to high five the Salvation Army. Not many people have the skill to pull that off.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I hadn't heard this story

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/811248068398026752

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's loving amazing

E: AA has some clips from the funeral and his final interview. Really bittersweet stuff

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
great news billy simmons wrote some more stupid poo poo about basketball

https://theringer.com/battle-of-the-nba-unicorns-bdf6c4a7b331#.pwyicmjch

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

C. Everett Koop posted:

Why does this article never end.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

C. Everett Koop posted:

It starts off by making fun of a black player's last name ("Giannis Antempokonokokoakkokookookoko") and large chunks of it take place either in the future (Most Realistically Ridiculous Statistical Ceiling in 2022) or in what-if alternate universes. Also, the obligatory Bird worship, random shots at Kobe, creepy girlfriend analogies, self-praise for his blackjack prowess, and forced pop culture references ("like he’s one of the Game of Thrones dragons").

Simmons is back, and in prime form.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my eyes glazed over and I had to stop 6 paragraphs in

How many (times) can this (loving) hack put (things) into parenthesis (?)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FMguru posted:

It starts off by making fun of a black player's last name ("Giannis Antempokonokokoakkokookookoko") and large chunks of it take place either in the future (Most Realistically Ridiculous Statistical Ceiling in 2022) or in what-if alternate universes. Also, the obligatory Bird worship, random shots at Kobe, creepy girlfriend analogies, self-praise for his blackjack prowess, and forced pop culture references ("like he’s one of the Game of Thrones dragons").

Don't forget a plug for his stupid terrible book, with an amazon link!

And the amount of parentheticals is completely unacceptable for a professional writer.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This is actually the most stereotypical Simmons column. He invents an incomprehensible metric or term or category that no one cares about and then spends 3000 words debating which people best fit into it. It inherently generates content because the very premise is so loosely defined and fungible. This would be reasonable (albeit hack-ish) formula if it didn't always just fold in on itself and confirm the initial idea. So instead of just saying "Giannis is a really unique player, Porzingis is pretty unique too, and Embiid is so raw we have to wait and see" he has create a series of speculative questions that are designed to confirm his initial opaque observation.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I did appreciate the sick Giannis dunk vids he links to, even if I've seen them all before.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bill simmons' writing got significantly worse once he took himself seriously

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bill simmons rules and if you get upset about his dumb, incomprehensible writing instead of relishing every lovely simmonsy thing he does then you got owned by him

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

R.D. Mangles posted:

bill simmons rules and if you get upset about his dumb, incomprehensible writing instead of relishing every lovely simmonsy thing he does then you got owned by him
yeah it's tremendous entertainment

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

I like his incomprehensible writing when he keeps it to about 2000 words, as opposed to the 8000 word alternative universe train wrecks he's writing. I get bored if it goes on too long.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

straight up brolic posted:

yeah it's tremendous entertainment

The fact is that people here take his weirdo words and pretend to get upset at how dumb they are and then they immediately turn around and start using his classification system to rate players for the next 5 pages. You've all been rused

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'd kick bill Simmons rear end. It wouldn't even be hard for me because of how strong I am.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FMguru posted:

Dude we all make fun of Giannis last name because tis a jumble of every letter. His nickname is the alphabet. Greek is hard yo. As someone with a last name with too many consonants and not enough vowels it's just gonna happen. I feel like you're reaching a lot with that criticism, of all the lovely stuff I could believe about Simmons I don't think he's a racist at all

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ramadu posted:

Dude we all make fun of Giannis last name because tis a jumble of every letter. His nickname is the alphabet. Greek is hard yo. As someone with a last name with too many consonants and not enough vowels it's just gonna happen. I feel like you're reaching a lot with that criticism, of all the lovely stuff I could believe about Simmons I don't think he's a racist at all

I agree with this for the most part but it's literally his job to know the names of players. Plus he has access to advanced technology that allows him to copy and paste words into his word processor. Even then, it could still be funny if it wasn't a joke people made like 3 years ago. The most offensive part is how out of date the joke is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ramadu posted:

His last name is Nigerian, not Greek, but I agree.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Henchman of Santa posted:

His last name is Nigerian, not Greek, but I agree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Antetokounmpo

According to this it's greek? Idk I was just going off where he was born!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
His parents immigrated to Greece. Antetokounmpo is the spelling on his Greek passport, but the original is apparently Adetokunbo which led to a lot of confusion around draft time. I think he's said he doesn't care.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

His parents immigrated to Greece. Antetokounmpo is the spelling on his Greek passport, but the original is apparently Adetokunbo which led to a lot of confusion around draft time. I think he's said he doesn't care.

Yeah I've seen him mention a time or two that it doesn't bug him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charles Farrell did a great piece on Bernard Hopkins for deadspin

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

The fact is that people here take his weirdo words and pretend to get upset at how dumb they are and then they immediately turn around and start using his classification system to rate players for the next 5 pages. You've all been rused

Bill Simmons's dumb theories are constantly taken seriously the second either another poster or Zach Lowe says them without openly quoting him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FS1 actually responded to the Skip Bayless facebook comment thing, and Ben Koo tore into both them and Sporting News. Koo clearly has some beef with Horowitz.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

The extremely high chance that a hockey player has (recently) done something disgusting into the Stanley Cup should preclude anyone ever wanting to drink from it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ChickenMedium posted:

The extremely high chance that a hockey player has (recently) done something disgusting into the Stanley Cup should preclude anyone ever wanting to drink from it.

Counter-argument: I'd drink bathwater out of the Cup just to say that I drank out of the Stanley Cup, so ymmv.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
For real I don't even really like hockey but if you are around the cup and don't either eat or drink out of it that seems like a massive missed opportunity

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mike modano fed his dogs out of the cup

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

the talent deficit posted:

mike modano fed his dogs out of the cup

and then his poor dogs starved to death during the lockout because he could no longer afford to feed them

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Counter-argument: I'd drink bathwater out of the Cup just to say that I drank out of the Stanley Cup, so ymmv.
Yeah seriously. When you get the chance to do cool poo poo with cool poo poo like that you don't even think twice. I once got the chance to handle a gold medal from the 1980 U.S. Hockey team and to be honest when that kind of stuff is in your hands you don't really think about things like "Am I making an rear end out of myself right now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm calling the following tangentially sports-related since it's always written for Deadspin. With that out of the way, it's time for what is annually one of their most entertaining articles: What Did We Get Stuck in Our Rectums Over the Last Year?