Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I just logged on to compare returns. Daughter number 1, about a 40% return lifetime. Daughter number 2 is 80%. It's all in the timing.

GWM: Market timing your baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lol at the title

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

omnibobb posted:

New to financing and stuff, how do I go about refinancing?

~10K car loan in April, $202 a month payments for 60 months at about 7.25%

I have been paying the minimums while I've been paying off my higher % credit off.

The current plan is credit card will be paid off this month freeing up $200. It was a joint credit card debt with the ex-wife, so I have been paying $100 less a month in child support as it's "her half". So the plan has been that extra $100 will go to the car for about $300 a month.

I plan on it being at about $8K by the end of the year. I'm estimating being able to throw another $1K at it come tax time, and another $3K come April FAFSA payment.

So, knowing how life works, I'm shooting on realistically having it down to $5K in April, 50% paid off in a year.

The only other debt I have is about $2K to a family member at 0% who doesn't really care how quick I pay it back as long as I'm paying something. I currently throw her $50 a paycheck and then a couple hundred when I receive a big payment like FAFSA. I also watch her dog about 1 weekend a month for $100.

So, do I just contact a credit union and let them know what I owe and that I'm looking to refinance?

Hoo boy, this couldn't possibly go wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

omnibobb posted:

The current plan is credit card will be paid off this month freeing up $200. It was a joint credit card debt with the ex-wife, so I have been paying $100 less a month in child support as it's "her half". So the plan has been that extra $100 will go to the car for about $300 a month.

BWM: Doing anything different than the court ordered.

If she agrees to go halfsies on it she needs to cut you a check back for the $100 and note "Credit Card Repayment" on the memo line. You need to get current with your child support asap.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Since we're on BWM cars, a friend I know bought a new car (a Chevy Volt, I think?) and somehow has an interest rate of like 17% on it. :psyduck: I worked out the math and he's going to end up paying a ton more than the purchase price on it (and that's before you factor in depreciation).

I ended up buying a cheap beater car earlier this year for $3.5k and it's needed about $1.5k in various repairs so far, with potentially more coming soon. :saddowns:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pig slut lisa posted:

lol at the title

I haven't been following. What it referencing

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pig slut lisa posted:

lol at the title

Mega agreed.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Guest2553 posted:

Where you 100% equities or something?

Pretty close, since the general wisdom is to be more aggressive early on when saving for retirement and gradually shift to more conservative investments.

I was in index funds and not individual stocks, but dumping in my first two years of contributions just in time for the S&P 500 to poo poo the bed with a -37% annual return was a hole that took a while to dig out of.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I used to be sooooo BWM with cars when I was in college. First car I bought was a Chrysler Crossfire for around $18k at 17%. Traded it in 1 year later for $8k. I constantly have to stop beating myself up on decisions I made in my early 20s.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
The best part about the millennial generation is that the "haves" who were able to graduate and get good jobs despite the lovely 2008-2010 economy not only out earned their un- and underemployed cohort peers but also got their retirement savings career started on the ground floor of one of the biggest bull markets and real estate booms in history. So if you managed to get a job out of college or professional school during the recession, start a 401k and buy a house at all time low interest rates, your net worth is probably going to completely run away from everyone else over the next decades even now that employment has more or less recovered (nevermind that millions of people are now mostly employed in the lovely Gig Economy™ where you're pretty much on your own for retirement savings)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's the better Harley analogy: they are the Bose speakers of motorcycles. Expensive, crappy, and bought by people who don't know better or choose to remain ignorant

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
My friend who inherited a good amount of money from a grandparent bought his homeless dad a brand new $35k Harley.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
lol thanks for biting

I think the Corvette's a fine car and that the engineers have done great work optimizing the execution of the decisions made. HD has done likewise (though on far longer engineering cycles) and their v-twin does progress in terms of power and efficiency, executing the decisions made better. Yeah, mostly it's marketing claptrap that drives their demand, and I'd never own an HD personally, but to the same extent someone can rationalize a Corvette for a particular set of designed criteria, likewise a person can rationalize an HD for a particular set of designed criteria.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Here's the better Harley analogy: they are the Bose speakers of motorcycles. Expensive, crappy, and bought by people who don't know better or choose to remain ignorant

Or Beats. Perfectly serviceable and even enjoyable, but expensive, gaudy, and literally made larger and heavier than they need to be because 'quality'.

And now we're back to an Apple product.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

H110Hawk posted:

BWM: Doing anything different than the court ordered.

If she agrees to go halfsies on it she needs to cut you a check back for the $100 and note "Credit Card Repayment" on the memo line. You need to get current with your child support asap.

Hold up, there is no court order, and child support is all paid up.

We worked together and agreed to 600 a month for child support and that I'd take care of the joint credit (which she doesn't have access too). Once joint credit is paid off, 100 of that will revert to her. This has been going on for 2 years now and there is 0 issue and should be done next week.

edit: to clarify, divorce paperwork says we agree to 500 a month and verbally I'll be giving her the extra 100 once the debts paid off. Money wise, everything about the divorce was very amicable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I eat out way too much

It's me. I'm bad with money :negative:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alan Smithee posted:

I eat out way too much

It's me. I'm bad with money :negative:

I had to travel for work and they will pay for travel expenses and tolls, but they won't pay for food.

I ate out every day for lunch and dinner for a month and spent less than $170 for the entire month.

Got Chic-Fil-A gift cards at Walgreens with Chase Freedom 5% cash back. Ordered a grilled chicken entree and sauce every day and occasionally got a free meal coupon on the receipt. I also lost 12 pounds.

It might be BWM though because cardiac surgery from the insanely high sodium content is expensive.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 21, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chase Freedom 5% cash back

Seriously man, do you make commission for this poo poo?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Seriously man, do you make commission for this poo poo?

5% apparently.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just do it for the love of the game, son.

Leaving money on the table is BWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

omnibobb posted:

Hold up, there is no court order, and child support is all paid up.

edit: to clarify, divorce paperwork says we agree to 500 a month and verbally I'll be giving her the extra 100 once the debts paid off.

That is not how your previous post read. This sounds way more kosher.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

H110Hawk posted:

That is not how your previous post read. This sounds way more kosher.

Yeah, I see how I worded that poorly

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The best part about the millennial generation is that the "haves" who were able to graduate and get good jobs despite the lovely 2008-2010 economy not only out earned their un- and underemployed cohort peers but also got their retirement savings career started on the ground floor of one of the biggest bull markets and real estate booms in history. So if you managed to get a job out of college or professional school during the recession, start a 401k and buy a house at all time low interest rates, your net worth is probably going to completely run away from everyone else over the next decades even now that employment has more or less recovered (nevermind that millions of people are now mostly employed in the lovely Gig Economy™ where you're pretty much on your own for retirement savings)

I'd say the people who were just coming into their 30's with nice jobs they held onto in 2008 had it the best, they "lost" what was for most a fairly small amount in retirement accounts and had this huge investment opportunity staring them in the face just as their salaries are starting to take off. Sure, people who mosied into $150k jobs straight out of college had it great in that period too, but there were a lot more people out of college who needed to take a few steps up the ladder before they had good incomes and no student loan debt.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just do it for the love of the game, son.

Leaving money on the table is BWM.

Back when you could order cash from the US mint and get free delivery people were putting thousands of dollars on bonus cards and then paying off the charge with the cash before the APR hit leaving them with their bonus points for basically nothing. Rinse. Repeat.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This is called "churn" or "manufactured spend" and is still apparently a real thing done by real people including members of this very forum. It is, however, a great way to jeopardize your credit standing as if you're a blatant offender different card companies can cause some real headaches for you.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is called "churn" or "manufactured spend"
No these are two distinct things. Manufactured spending is a method employed by some churners but not necessary at all. Churning just means you open and close cards for the sign-up bonuses.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No these are two distinct things. Manufactured spending is a method employed by some churners but not necessary at all. Churning just means you open and close cards for the sign-up bonuses.

A-ha! Trap sprung!

Serious edit: the glossary on the different methods to reap credit card rewards points is enormous, and there are threads if you're actually more interested than me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

A-ha! Trap sprung!
The trap of reading the credit card rewards thread? :confused:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The trap of reading the credit card rewards thread? :confused:

Yes, not just reading but comprehending.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm not even sure what sort of argument you're trying to make here. Credit card rewards = bad? It's a general credit card rewards thread.

Not everyone in that thread is churning, and not everyone who is churning is doing manufactured spending.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Once we eliminate regulation around credit cards and banking all of this will be legal and it'll rely on the individual to outsmart the credit companies and there will be no repercussions for anyone!

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What are you trying to say with these last couple of posts? Are you trying to be humorous here? I can't even tell.

I'm sure most of know what credit card churning is all about so it can't be that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I had to travel for work and they will pay for travel expenses and tolls, but they won't pay for food.

I ate out every day for lunch and dinner for a month and spent less than $170 for the entire month.

Got Chic-Fil-A gift cards at Walgreens with Chase Freedom 5% cash back. Ordered a grilled chicken entree and sauce every day and occasionally got a free meal coupon on the receipt. I also lost 12 pounds.

It might be BWM though because cardiac surgery from the insanely high sodium content is expensive.

how the hell did you lose weight by being the Jared Fogle of Chic Fil A :stare:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Whoa now, there are some pretty significant behavioral details attached to that name now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Ultimately just calories in vs. calories out for losing weight. May not be healthy, but if you burn more than you eat you will shed pounds regardless of how lovely it is.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The best part about the last few pages of this thread is someone assuming you'll get 8% ROI in the market.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Alan Smithee posted:

The grilled chicken is actually quite healthy except for the high sodium.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
This thread reminds me of the episode of Veep where Mike has tons of debt because he bought a boat and has no way to actually pay it. He eventually stops stressing about it and buys a brand new Jeep or Hummer or something like that because he's never going to get out of debt so he may as well just enjoy himself.

He of course later realizes that 100k+ of debt is a bad and freaks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Back on the baby clothes comment from a couple pages back, I am generally pleasantly surprised how nice the cheap baby clothes are. Like, Carters is super freaking cheap and seems totally good.

• Locked thread