Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kevin O'Connor is actually pretty good, especially if you're struggling to find Zach Lowe articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The Harden/Ginobili comparison makes more sense to me now that Harden is winging insane passes everywhere and sometimes out of bounds because his teammates can't keep up with them

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Put 👏 Ben 👏 Wallace 👏 in 👏 the 👏 hall 👏 of 👏 fame 👏

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

Spacebump posted:

Larry Nance Jr. might be planning on participating in the dunk contest.
https://twitter.com/Larrydn22/status/811662621682307072

In Larry Nance news:

https://twitter.com/Larrydn22/status/811634710485016577?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Which also gave me an excuse to post this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOGUgdeD45f/

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

straight up brolic posted:

Harden does all of these things. He has the best over the shoulder pass/wrap around in the NBA

chunkles posted:

The Harden/Ginobili comparison makes more sense to me now that Harden is winging insane passes everywhere and sometimes out of bounds because his teammates can't keep up with them

I should note I haven't watched much of the Rockets this year, but have previously felt that two lefty euro steppers was a facile comparison. Maybe Dantoni Harden plays more like Ginobili but he's always seemed very methodical to me. He plays the most efficient possible high usage ball, which you could never say about Manu shot selection wise even when it worked out in terms of actually going in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Put 👏 Ben 👏 Wallace 👏 in 👏 the 👏 hall 👏 of 👏 fame 👏

4-time DPOY, 5 time all-nba, 6 time all defense NBA should be enough. I value defensive anchors quite a bit but I imagine his resume would be strong enough, and you have the narrative of that Pistons Championship squad to help out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

I should note I haven't watched much of the Rockets this year, but have previously felt that two lefty euro steppers was a facile comparison. Maybe Dantoni Harden plays more like Ginobili but he's always seemed very methodical to me. He plays the most efficient possible high usage ball, which you could never say about Manu shot selection wise even when it worked out in terms of actually going in.

what more you want man?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Webber isn't in the HoF (returning nominee), which is surprising to me considering how extremely lenient the hall has been towards "Do we still remember him? Put him in"

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

Tracy Mcgrady, Mugsy, and Ben Wallace are up for Hall of fame

Muggsy should get in just for having his dick get checked out by Larry David on Curb

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I think ginobli had better handles then Harden, and the only important thing they had in common was that people struggle to reconcile their production with their athletic abilities.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Tracy Mcgrady, Mugsy, and Ben Wallace are up for Hall of fame

Is Mugsy Bogues inch for inch the best player in NBA history? or is that Spud Webb

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Femur posted:

I think ginobli had better handles then Harden, and the only important thing they had in common was that people struggle to reconcile their production with their athletic abilities.

Are you implying Harden isn't athletic? He's an incredibly gifted athlete

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is Mugsy Bogues inch for inch the best player in NBA history? or is that Spud Webb

It's Nate rob

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

4-time DPOY, 5 time all-nba, 6 time all defense NBA should be enough. I value defensive anchors quite a bit but I imagine his resume would be strong enough, and you have the narrative of that Pistons Championship squad to help out.
Despite playing at a hilariously slow pace, those Carlisle/Brown pistons teams were very modern player-wise

1. Rim protector/rebounder who can switch on everybody
2. Point guard who can make threes off the dribble and had a nice drive and kick game
3. SG who runs endlessly off screens although he shot 2's rather than 3's
4. PF who could shoot threes really well, was really long and athletic, could finish pick and rolls
5. A freakishly long small forward who could guard anyone and make shots

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Lockback posted:

what more you want man?

I have to post the Fisher/Martin flop that was IMO, possibly the best flop ever. They don't make em like they used to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYwPLnye1k

DeimosRising posted:

I feel like he started off fairly mechanical in OKC and his first year in Houston. It was basically a three or eurostep to free throws, like the fine wine of Ginobili's game distilled down to strong moonshine, and his game has slowly opened up to where he now plays as varied or more than Ginobili did. Stepback jumpers from anywhere, shoulder passes, post ups. Also I should go back and watch some old Ginobili videos as a refresher, but I feel like he plays less frantic than Ginobili and sometimes will just slow down and dribble around like three guys at a trot or somehow do an iso stepback where he creates a foot of separation by shuffling his feet a little.

Basically it's not a bad comparison as these things go but Harden has changed a lot over the past few years

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Isaiah Thomas lies when he says he's 5'9" so he's definitely the statistical champ. He's about the same height as Spud, maybe an inch or two taller

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Time posted:

Are you implying Harden isn't athletic? He's an incredibly gifted athlete

So was ginobli. but I meant perception wise. Like they are seen as crafty instead of being superior to their piers straight up.

Ginobli was maligned as lucky and flopper, and Harden with flopper, and game doesn't work in playoffs. The underlining criticism is that they do not deserve their numbers through dominance, physical in this case since we are talking sports. I believe this is the underlining basis for their comparison.

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 22, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

Webber isn't in the HoF (returning nominee), which is surprising to me considering how extremely lenient the hall has been towards "Do we still remember him? Put him in"

Chris Webber is an interesting case wherein his college run is almost enough to put him in the hall of fame but also enough to keep him out due to all the controversy around it and lingering media resentment towards the Fab Five.

He might get in now or might never get in, I have no idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also was a massive malignator except for the Sac run.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

chunkles posted:

the back surgery kinda hosed up his career but it's hard to watch harden/capela run pick and rolls and think the rockets being offensively unwatchable was anything but a result of his insistence on being a big time post scorer.

or Scott Brooks being a truly poo poo-tier coach

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Just wanna say these last couple of pages have been highly entertaining. Y'all are the finest basketball minds on the whole world wide web

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Time posted:

It's Nate rob

The difference between Mugsy and Nate Rob in height is the same as the difference between Nate Rob and Russell Westbrook. Between Chris Paul and Andre Iguodala. Between Iguodala and Steven Adams.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

I doubt he could play center now.

So he'd be a PF who couldnt shoot ie he wouldnt play on most teams.

I guess Ben Wallace is a good comp but Wallace was waaaaaay bigger.

Nah, he would be Dwight Howard without the immaturity issues. This may have been brought up, but I'm still catching up to the thread.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

or Scott Brooks being a truly poo poo-tier coach

I don't know what that has to do with the quoted post but you're wrong scotty is a solid coach who is very good at player development

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ill take a worse shooting but better passing Dwight as a russel comp. that seems fair.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I mean it's also a deliberate thing, Harden's been talking about patterning his game after Ginobili since he was in high school at least.

Also I'll go back and correct myself, Manu was probably a top 10 player somewhere between 2006-2008.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's not even at 10% of his ONR though (objective nutmeg rate)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AvZQzj7CA
hah, this is actually kind of what I'm thinking of. Manu's got that LeBron thing, they'll move the ball and I'll be a bit "oh I had no idea that was possible."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmBVeRH5u9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZKAg3WxN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoPkUAGYiQ
Harden makes a lot of very pretty outlets and things doesn't quite do that. Yet? Also Manu has way more rings than Harden so Harden's inferior in every way :(

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

Nah, he would be Dwight Howard without the immaturity issues. This may have been brought up, but I'm still catching up to the thread.

How do you know this about maturity? Comparing some 80 year old to an 18?

Do you think he was genius enough to coach/play at once, or that he was unimportant enough that even half his attention didn't affect poo poo?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
More that Russell didn't immediately punch every Boston fan on sight for calling him monkey, friend of the family, or worse.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's Barkley according to BBR. With Wilt or Chris Paul in 2nd.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

He also was a massive malignator except for the Sac run.

But remember how good that team was lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That Kings team was so god drat fun. Mike Bibby, Chris Webber, Peja, Vlade, Turkeyglue...iconic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

That Kings team was so god drat fun. Mike Bibby, Chris Webber, Peja, Vlade, Turkeyglue...iconic

Doug Christie's wife too

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

NickRoweFillea posted:

Don't forget a young Gerald Wallace languishing away on the bench who would come in for 8 minutes every other game, do a sick dunk or whatever, then go back to the end of the bench

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And White Chocolate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Hb-hpkDYc
That era of the Kings was one of my all time favorite teams

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

But remember how good that team was lol

Yeah I saw them live in Philly twice and was just blown away by the sophistication of it all. Good poo poo.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

More that Russell didn't immediately punch every Boston fan on sight for calling him monkey, friend of the family, or worse.

that is the cultural norm.

Even if he developed the ability to dunk as much as Dwight, there is no evidence that he wouldn't also develop the inability to say no to underage pussy that comes with scoring.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNZQpuLf5c&t=34s

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dejan Bimble posted:

Tim Hardaway (5'10") or Calvin Murphy (5'9')

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's definitely Earl Boykins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

im sorry to bring this up for the 9000th time but lol that the Thunder traded Harden for nothing. Remember how hyped Thunder fans were on Jeremy Lamb and Kevin Martin for like 2 months?

• Locked thread