Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Captain von Trapp posted:

Yeah, characters have made jokes before, but as far as I know this is the first straight up pun.

Vader has been sarcastic a lot
- "Apology accepted, Captain Needa"
- "We would be honored if you would join us"
- "Then perhaps you can tell him yourself"
but so far the only character indulging in puns has been C-3PO during the arena battle on Geonosis.
- "I'm quite beside myself"
- "This is such a drag"

Although I seem to remember a bit from the Revenge of the Sith script that was thankfully unused in the final film but I think made it into the novelization.
When Anakin goes to kill the Separatist leaders on Mustafar, there's an exchange along the lines of
"But Lord Sidious promised to leave us in peace!" to which Vader replies "No, he said he'd leave you in pieces"

There isn't an eyeroll emoticon big enough for all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
When he was choking Krennic he really should have said, "NOW this is pod racing!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like Sassy Vader, it underlines his campier qualities.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We need more Sassy Vader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

PiedPiper posted:

I hear a lot of people say "Apology accepted, captain Needa" is a similar joke, but I couldn't agree less. I've always seen that line as a reminder to everybody present at the scene: "Please don't let me down, you see how this ends." I can totally see it as spontaneous.

The line about aspirations is too... elaborate maybe? It's like Vader came up with it a long time ago and was just waiting for the right moment.

I thought it made sense in the context of the scene as it plays out.

The entire time Vader is wondering about Krennec's motivations for coming there, gleaning more and more out of him as the conversation goes on. Krennic reveals over the short time that he's only there to get credit for something going well for once, and then oversteps his boundaries by essentially whining about Tarkin and wanting his position of command.

In that situation I totally believe Vader would revel in an elaborate pun while putting Krennec in his place.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TraderStav posted:

It's hard to explain, but I did notice that his helmet was more 'disconnected' from the outfit than in previous movies? If that makes any sense? As if it was more over the cape. Maybe I just never noticed it before, but it seemed like it was either bigger or the cape/armor was smaller.

He had the same look in Star Wars:

Since this movie was a love letter to Star Wars in the best way, they kept the original (cheaper and cheap looking) Vader costume since that is what Vader was wearing at the time.

There are tons of comparisons of the different Vader costumes. The R1 Vader looks like Star Wars Vader.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The biggest quirks of the IV Vader mask are the red eyes, the more angled brown line, the small chin triangle. They cleaned it up in subsequent movies, ultimately making the III mask super perfect and symmetrical. Counting on someone here to add Little Orphan Ani lines to Vader's corridor massacre.

"I'll try spinning, that's a neat trick"

edit: also it's not confirmed but since we are in the VIII spoiler thread, it appears the Celebration badges may be our first look at Finn and Rey from VIII.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like Sassy Vader, it underlines his campier qualities.

I'm not saying you can't have a compelling campy villain, but camp generally implies a level of winking ironic self-awareness that's not especially compatible with an escapist Wagnerian space fantasy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: Ignore.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Funny how the titles have remained Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi after all these years. A New Hope never stuck.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

When he was choking Krennic he really should have said, "NOW this is pod racing!"

haha

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly can't tell what the authors of this were trying to do with blind monk and heavy FPS class guy. Like were they supposed to be a couple? was the movie queer baiting? Was the movie just scripted so weird a friendship came off as romantic? Like heavy was cradling monk in his arms saying they'd see eachother again in force heaven by the end.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly can't tell what the authors of this were trying to do with blind monk and heavy FPS class guy. Like were they supposed to be a couple? was the movie queer baiting? Was the movie just scripted so weird a friendship came off as romantic? Like heavy was cradling monk in his arms saying they'd see eachother again in force heaven by the end.

I think it was a bit of cowardice on their part not to make it explicit but they were lovers and it was pretty nice I thought

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's pretty standard war movie stuff.

It could definitely be read as them being lovers, for sure, but even if you don't it's not out of the ordinary.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

ITT if theres no penetration its Cowardice.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

ITT if theres no penetration its Cowardice.

yeah this is clearly what i meant instead of that disney are too protective of the star wars brand to deal with the backlash from morons that there would be if they were explicitly said to be a couple

it is unambiguously a good thing to have a gay couple in star wars, it would have been a better thing if the mouse wasn't too chickenshit to have it be explicit

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"How can we capitalize on the Chinese market?"

That's it. They worked out really well given their restraints.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Two long-time friends who were once fellow Guardians of the Whills remain friends despite one of them, Baze, losing his faith in the Force-based religion while Chirrut continues to believe (he's blind but he can "see," in this sense). As the movie progresses we see Baze scoff at Chirrut's prayers, but the monk continues in this fashion regardless. He even shows his competence at a couple points (that "seeing" idea again, but different this time), with the latter being his final act. After avoiding dozens of blaster bolts and activating the crucial switch for Bodhi's communications array, he finally runs out of luck. Baze is devastated by Chirrut's death, yet moved by his act of bravery (and the unbelievable manner in which it occurred) he starts praying again after all those years and fights on until his last.

They could easily be friends or lovers, and it doesn't matter whch one you think it is. That's what interpretation is about.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Would've been less awkward if they pulled a Forrest Gump and just green-screened Kennick in Ep 4's Tarkin scenes

James Earl Jones sounds like he himself has to take a deep pull from an oxygen mask before doing his Vader lines.

And people bitching about Chirrut using the Force as a plothole consider this: The Force is the ur-example used of something that makes something happen just for the hell of it so shhhhh

It's a drat shame we know what happens to the Death Star because goddamn was it used to terrific effect

I appreciated the death star laser hitting Krandall on the tower with pinpoint accuracy and I want to think it was the will of the force that that happened

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Given that the Force is a hippy reinterpretation of Zen and Chan is the Dao, having a wuxia hero makes total sense.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shbobdb posted:

"How can we capitalize on the Chinese market?"

That's it. They worked out really well given their restraints.

Did it do any pandering to China beyond literally allowing an Asian in the movie at all?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did it do any pandering to China beyond literally allowing an Asian in the movie at all?

Wuxia master and Big Gun Badass both appeal very strongly to key demographics in the Chinese population.

Edit: Don't mention that he's Zatoichi

Edit2: Don't mention that they are a Zatoichi pastiche.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 22, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just don't tell me he has made jokes like that before when he hasn't. Some loving truth benders in here.

You can like something that has faults. You can admit to those faults and still like it in spite of those faults. But to bend the truth impedes our ability to honestly talk about the films.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I appreciated the death star laser hitting Krandall on the tower with pinpoint accuracy and I want to think it was the will of the force that that happened

P sure that was Tarkin's intent, actually.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I might just be imagining things, but I'm sure Tarkin gave a tiny smug little smile when he ordered Krennic's death by superlaser

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's funny that, to those two this was basically just a workplace dispute

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

rear end Catchcum posted:

Just don't tell me he has made jokes like that before when he hasn't. Some loving truth benders in here.

Watch The Clone Wars series, brougham.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Filthy Casual posted:

Watch The Clone Wars series, brougham.

Why would anyone do that.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's actually really good?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Rogue 7 posted:

It's actually really good?

I'll take your word for it, brougham.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's loving awesome.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If anyone wants to post Vader making a pun in the clone wars cartoon would love to see it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll take your word for it, brougham.

No really. Clone Wars and Rebels are both great. Clone Wars has a few episodes (out of like 95) that aren't all that great, but the majority are excellent Star Wars tales. Rebels is almost always great.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

If anyone wants to post Vader making a pun in the clone wars cartoon would love to see it.

Nah, its time for you to do the work for a change. Except it won't be work, because TCW is great and, unlike the movies, provides reasons to root for the prequel cast.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
No. No more people making claims and not backing them up. Rogue One had a terrible Vader joke. It's bad. Get over it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like to imagine Vader had a huge grin on his nasty rear end face as he gave the line, whereas he was just unhappy and grimly going about his business when slaughtering all the hat dudes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I did not like Vader joke. Darths do not mug.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked it because it was campy like Star Wars is as points.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like to imagine Vader had a huge grin on his nasty rear end face as he gave the line, whereas he was just unhappy and grimly going about his business when slaughtering all the hat dudes.

Yeah seriously I pictured Vader having a dry cracked burnt bemused smile the entire time he was dealing with Kendall, just thinking geez these guys should just get a room and get it over with already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

No. No more people making claims and not backing them up. Rogue One had a terrible Vader joke. It's bad. Get over it.

I find your lack of taste disturbing.

• Locked thread