Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If I'm going to make and balance house rules of that scope I might as well make a brand new game (which, in fact, is what I'm doing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The Big Bird Daemon has always been a grab bag thematically. He's about planning and scheming and secrecy and building up advantage till the moment is perfect, which is why he has weird illuminati/spy/mystery/mage cults. Get the knowledge, get the power, get the nobles and politicians and officials in your fold. It's all under control. Join us and learn the true path to power.

Buuuuut...he's also about none of those cults and organizations knowing about one another, knowing the big picture or working together. Those cults and organizations will meet, and they will clash. So, Big Blue is also about infighting, sedition, blackmail, sabotage, foiled plots and carefully planned operations going off the rails to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Dr. Claw, Skeletor and Cobra Commander could probably take these chumps while fighting with one another.

That's an ok concept for a Chaos dude there. P solid, covers a lot of ground, has a strong theme. Despite his vast cunning and knowledge, Flappy McGee's chaotic nature always finds a way to sabotage him. Birds have a long association with knowledge and wisdom in human lore, birds delivered messages over long distances for a very long time, flight represents a power man does not have that he would do anything to attain, etc. As the Keeper of Secrets, the bird thing works.

This dude that's about secrecy is also about highly visible mutations (not that the other Chaos chums don't seem to be, but it's apparently his bailiwick) which is self sabotaging, yes, but not really on theme. A third eye, a birthmark that grows to become a Chaos glyph, a sixth finger, and more subtle mutations would be on theme, but wouldn't show up on minis, really.

Then uh, flying mushroom flame throwers and day-glo wizards on hover boards and I dunno, maybe some Egyptian Space Marines or something?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

those tzeentch heads would look rad on some flagellant bodies for mordheim cultists

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
While I'm not a fan of AOS I applaud games workshop for adding some diversity to the sigmarite range.

Stormbringer Warwyches :getin:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

TTerrible posted:

While I'm not a fan of AOS I applaud games workshop for adding some diversity to the sigmarite range.

That's a weird way to spell Sisters of Battle Seraphim.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Where did those nine Skaven find three human masks?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

:thejoke:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hah! I was on my phone so I only saw the picture super tiny. I didn't notice the bolt pistols. I miss my Sisters, of Battle and of Sigmar.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

grassy gnoll posted:

Where did those nine Skaven find three human masks?

the mk2 skaven suits have boob pate with eye holes so the other two can see. that way nobody argues over who is the head :kimchi:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I kinda dig the actual models, even if they're just bare-minimum updated sisters (the sisters as a concept look good, sue me), but gently caress, gaming pieces can't be covered in fiddly, thin, easily breakable crap, especially not when the entire model rests on it!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The 9 dice rule sounds fluffy and fun and I like that they are supporting each chaos god with a book, cultists, etc. I wonder if there will be a new Lord of Change kit?

Having painted 9 of the winged Stormcast, they are very sturdy. Snapping the wings is more of a risk than damaging the oath papers. The papers hold the miniatures up well and bend slightly to resist breaking. Best to paint them as a sub assembly. The real downside of wide-winged models is getting them in base contact with anything else. The "measure from the model" rule favors Prosecutors and measure from base runs into problems when you run them. Their wings cause issues with unit coherence, whereas with measure from model you get a nice spread in their coherence.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 22, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Shitposting aside for a second I think that pool of dice idea is cool and good. Better than just change = random tables and rerolls.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

spectralent posted:

I kinda dig the actual models, even if they're just bare-minimum updated sisters (the sisters as a concept look good, sue me), but gently caress, gaming pieces can't be covered in fiddly, thin, easily breakable crap, especially not when the entire model rests on it!

Yeah, they're not bad as display pieces, but they're not great as gaming figures. More than the fragility, I'd be concerned with storage. At least when I buy a model with big ol wings or something, I can magnetize them so that storage is easier.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, some of my tanks have trouble fitting into a case and they're just boxes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

I feel like he's going for an unkind comparison here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TTerrible posted:

GW are the undisputed kings of 'models what will break in transit' range

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the battle corsets.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Business Gorillas posted:

the mk2 skaven suits have boob pate with eye holes so the other two can see. that way nobody argues over who is the head :kimchi:

This post is a delight and a treasure.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Is it just the tiny pic on my phone or are those two seraphim just a mirror of each other with a weapon swap?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Not a viking posted:

Is it just the tiny pic on my phone or are those two seraphim just a mirror of each other with a weapon swap?

They're similar but they're not the exact same model.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Too bad this isn't plastic sisters, and just a character that they removed from the latest codex to add into a campaign book as an excuse to sell more books to people who want to run an army that they have had for a very long time, further fragmenting the game into a piece of poo poo of multiple versions of the same unit depending on what exact combination of books you bother to buy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, those bodyguards are totally mirror images of each other. The details of each are slightly different, but the poses are basically identical just with their weapon hands switched around. Just look at the angles of their legs and arms.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You're not wrong.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
To be fair, they are twins in the fluff so :shrug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

To be fair, they are twins in the fluff so :shrug:

lol

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
AOS FAQ got updated https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/12/22/faq-update-for-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Notable changes:
-Tomb Herald errata means they are longer immune to damage if they are near another Tomb Herald
-Ring of Immortality now costs points to set up the model after it dies, making it nearly useless
-Clarifications on setting up Sylvaneth Wyldwood
-Clarified that "a few moongrot grots have nets" means 3 in 20
-Basic rules for victory don't apply in Pitched Battle (ie. you don't lose the game if you get wiped off the table or deploy everything in reserve)
-Zombies can't be merged into groups of 300 any more
-Can't use movement phase abilities in other phases even if it says "move as if it was the movement phase" it just means you can make a normal move (ie. move characteristic, run, retreat)

Pawl fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 22, 2016

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

So the dude at my LGS let me know that nobody plays 40k or AOS at sub 1500 points. He also said that 40k is way more competitive, and popular, than AOS but that AOS is more chill/casual. Is this accurate? I like the fantasy theme more than the spaceguns of 40k.

I'm brand new to the hobby so the prospect of having to build a 1500 point army before I can play ia kinda a bummer. Was banking on kill team being at least a little popular.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
You could always try one of the skirmish games like Infinity or Deadzone (both are sci-fi though)

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm pretty all in on Nurgle.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I'm all for skirmish; I have no interest in painting 50+ guys for a single army ever again. Luckily, there are a lot of options these days though. I went with Dark Age, which is kinda far-future Mad Max. Frostgrave is skirmish fantasy; it's got some major problems, but its heart is in the right place. There's also Wrath of Kings or Malifaux.

Injuryprone posted:

I'm pretty all in on Nurgle.

Get some Nurgle guys (if you must) and build a Frostgrave warband. Frostgrave encourages you to use whatever models you like.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Injuryprone posted:

So the dude at my LGS let me know that nobody plays 40k or AOS at sub 1500 points. He also said that 40k is way more competitive, and popular, than AOS but that AOS is more chill/casual. Is this accurate? I like the fantasy theme more than the spaceguns of 40k.

I'm brand new to the hobby so the prospect of having to build a 1500 point army before I can play ia kinda a bummer. Was banking on kill team being at least a little popular.

Generaly you'll find people are willing to cut some stuff from their forces to fit a 1000pt bracket, expecially if they're a chill bunch.

If you're going in Nurgle, the Nurgle Daemons SC box should place you at just a few points shy of 1000pts, as will the Slaves to Darkness box.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Oh wow that's awesome, for some reason I thought that was only 500.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

I think the Nurgle SC box is exactly 500 points if ScrollBuilder is right.

AoS seems to be more chill in comparison to 40k, but that's only from seeing games of 40k at the store. It isn't as popular though.

I've played under 1500 points, some armies don't scale super well under 1500 is probably why that was mentioned.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Do Skaven have a full army yet? Does Gamers Workshop have league play again? Just curious

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My mistake, it does amount to 500, but even so it's easy enough to play a decent game at that scale. AoS players on a whole seem like a pretty chill bunch, doubt people would scoff at playing lower-point games with someone just getting into the game.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Do Skaven have a full army yet? Does Gamers Workshop have league play again? Just curious

Skaven have a full army, you can mix and match them Fantasy style or go all in on one of the Clans. Want an all Jezzail/Stormfiend/Warp Lightning Skyre army? Now you can.

As for League Play, I'm not sure about store-level Leagues but they are running tournies for AoS and are throwing a lot of support behind AoS events at larger Wargaming tournies. Would be nice to see League Play stuff though.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Is any Nurgle batallion vastly superior to the others?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess I don't understand the desire to play a bad game at a cost and size you're not interested in just because there are a handful of models you find aesthetically appealing. You can get a handful of those models and do other things with them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd be bummed as heck if I lived in a town where the only wargaming options at my FLGS were 40K and AOS and nobody was willing to use their GW models in other games to try them, or even got offended at the very idea of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xarbala posted:

I'd be bummed as heck if I lived in a town where the only wargaming options at my FLGS were 40K and AOS and nobody was willing to use their GW models in other games to try them, or even got offended at the very idea of it.
There's a bunch of true believers in my uni LGS that do.

Like, I'd understand if the bases mattered like in X wing or infinity, but these are generic fantasy and sci fi minis that are being culled for generic ruleset games. :psyduck: Someone straight up told me frostgrave was worse than AOS when they're both p much on the same level of "casual appropriateness" wrt their ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I would love to see the logic behind saying Frostgrave is worse than AoS.

• Locked thread