Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I hope every star war movie from here on out had a death star as its central plot point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

rich probably smells really strongly of deodorant.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

They'll do the Star Trek Beyond thing and make the super weapon a swarm of really tiny weapons this time, like they're so loving clever.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Baronjutter posted:

That little bat faced guy at the cantina? He's seen having a drink passed to him and really wanting it, so clearly this is a defining trait of the character and entire species. You see his race is obviously addicted to a special drink they need to drink to survive, but when they don't have quite enough they become incredibly force sensitive. Or something. I don't know we HAVE to come up with something based on minor things we saw in the movies and misinterpreted!!!

I like where you're going with this so I looked it up. According to Wookiepedia

Wookiepedia posted:

...They all had an instinctive fear of drowning in water. Many Chadra-Fan that left their homeworld went to arid planets, in order to escape any chance of drowning...
...They regarded very few things as permanent, seeking only to enjoy themselves in the moment...
...Chadra-Fan, if left alone, suffered from strong depression that would kill them in a matter of weeks. Thus, Chadra-Fan were not very picky when it came to friends and preferred complete strangers to loneliness...
...They were also a jovial race, who almost always got on well with others...
...Chadra-Fan, thus, could be found with various criminals because they were so unobservant or accommodating...

The fans will not rest until we know why there was a little bat alien sitting at the alien bar.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that the Prequels did pretty well was introduce us to different types of environments. Yeah, Lucas brought us back to Tatooine too many times, but he still showed us a weird underwater bubble city, a beautiful Renaissance Italy-style city with waterfalls, a sleek floating city on a stormy ocean planet, and gave us glimpses of other places like a planet with giant glowing mushrooms, etc. Attack of the Clones also had those weird monsters in the arena, especially the spider-like one with the long neck. So far, we haven't seen anything like that in the new Star Wars movies. Just more desert planets, rocky planets, forest planets, whatever. And the monsters have just been boring tentacle things with no distinctive outline. The Prequels weren't afraid to get weird and even though not everything worked out, i still respect Lucas for trying different poo poo.

I hope we eventually get a Star Wars movie that really shows us new and unique stuff. Entirely new characters and scenarios that have nothing to do with the originals. Like make a movie that takes place a hundred years after RotJ and all of the original characters are dead, the galaxy is in a completely different situation now with no Empire, no Republic, etc. And just have new characters that aren't Jedi or rebels or imperials. Make a Star Wars movie about some space pirates and maybe they stumble upon some ancient Jedi or Sith artifacts and have an entirely new story unravel.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Make a movie where this time the good guys build a death star.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope they make 8 more movies about 8 more death stars and they all make $2 billion just because it will bother you.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Nanomashoes posted:

They build the LifeStar... its like the star trek genesis machine... built for good but can also be used for evil

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
i want both sides to have ten death stars and then the death stars all fight

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
until this new movie I never even thought about the Deathstar moving at light speed...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

until this new movie I never even thought about the Deathstar moving at light speed...

How did you think it got from Alderaan to Yavin IV?

Dylan McKay posted:

I'm actually down for this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

If Force Awakens had some balls, the Republic would have built that super-death star and the remains of the Imperials would be the new rebels.

It never did make any sense to me whatsoever why the legitimate government was the resistance in that movie.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

WampaLord posted:

How did you think it got from Alderaan to Yavin IV?

I'm actually down for this.

I get it now... but I swear I'd even considered it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The rebels will construct two thousand death stars to fight the empire, but the empire will have their new secret weapon. Death star star death star. A death star that kills death stars by shooting death stars.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
theres 8 deathstars and they combine their lazers to destroy galaxies... these new deathstars are egg shaped because spheres are so played out

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Minimalist Program posted:

The worst thing about him is that he has that supreme insecure nerd way of speaking where you can tell by his inflections and speech patterns that he's modeled his entire personality on how people speak in sitcoms.

You seem to know a lot about this...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dylan McKay posted:

really the only place to take it at this point.

that, or weaponizing planets directly.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
Last night Jay and rich were in my dreams.

We were on top of the sears tower in Chicago. The had broken in through the roof and were telling me to jump over this ledge to another platform and go through a hole cut in the ceiling.

I didn't do it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Dicky mouse posted:

Last night Jay and rich were in my dreams.

We were on top of the sears tower in Chicago. The had broken in through the roof and were telling me to jump over this ledge to another platform and go through a hole cut in the ceiling.

I didn't do it.

*chicago bears tower.

you should have jumped.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paladinus posted:

The rebels will construct two thousand death stars to fight the empire, but the empire will have their new secret weapon. Death star star death star. A death star that kills death stars by shooting death stars.

it should be called "Death's Star" that sounds so bad rear end, also its like a call back to the original

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

That wasn't a dream, it was a test to see if you get to break out of this universe and go into the parallel one that's full of adventure with all your favorite people and you failed.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

dreezy posted:

*chicago bears tower.

you should have jumped.

when did sears sell it?

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

Jay likes some of the worst loving movies. They are all hacks. Yup.

Regardless, the first half of Rogue One is boring as all hell. It's a loving slog to get through.

Let's say you're a fan of the movie. Let's say you buy the blu-ray when it comes out and you watch it again. Then what happens when you watch it a third time? I'll put good money down on you skipping to the third act, because nothing in the first and barely anything in the second act is relevant or even particularly interesting.

This is a really great point.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

eSporks posted:

A star wars 7 Samurai might work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksJTPdNNQB4

It's been done.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe someone could make a weapon that explodes stars. They could call it the sun crusher and have be the size of a large school bus with a hyperspace drive that is actually a force powered crazy person. The sun crusher is also nigh invulnerable because.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
What if we had a weapon that would blow up the whole galaxy.

We could call it....

The Guardian. Of the Galaxy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oohhboy posted:

Maybe someone could make a weapon that explodes stars. They could call it the sun crusher and have be the size of a large school bus with a hyperspace drive that is actually a force powered crazy person. The sun crusher is also nigh invulnerable because.

They already had a Death Star that drained stars. And then blew up five unnamed planets at once.

That was so dumb, either one of those is a big enough threat, don't do both.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
In the world of Hollywood it is only a matter of time until we get an unironic plot about stopping the villains friendship and happiness device.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

They already had a Death Star that drained stars. And then blew up five unnamed planets at once.

One of my issues with TFA is (yes I know the novel tried to paper over it) is that we still had the rebellion, which I viewed as fanservice they just should have just had them try to get to the new republic and fight the first order. hell set the politics as a 30 year cold civil war and be done with it.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I kind of viewed the First Order as an ISIS uprising. They filled the void the Empire left behind, and the New Republic did jack poo poo to prevent it. They could have easily drew upon that concept a little more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Archaic posted:

I kind of viewed the First Order as an ISIS uprising. They filled the void the Empire left behind, and the New Republic did jack poo poo to prevent it. They could have easily drew upon that concept a little more.

I'd have much preferred them a sort of fascist threat brewing in the outer rim, obsessed with the imagery of the empire but unable to field many capital ships, let alone super weapons. Instead they do hit and run attacks, propaganda against the new republic, bully minor independent systems. They are a threat, but they don't have the galactic resource pool to build a loving death-star sized superweapon. Show them behaving more like the rebels, a whole switcharoo thing with the new republic having a hard time chasing them down and focused more on their own domestic front, rebuilding and establishing a new democratic order and all the internal shitshow that goes along with that.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The new Valerian movie is looking good.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Force Awakens is bad but BB-8 is cute and likeable comic relief.

Rogue One is good and K2-so is really good comic relief.

The prequels were insanely bad and had a cartoon rabbit stepping in the poopie.

These are the only good opinions but yours are still valid, friends.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

*cough*EU*cough*

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Force Awakens was good on the strength of its characters and writing
Rogue One was dull but not terrible because it lacked these things
The prequels were absolute dogshit that failed in every way on every level
In My Opinion

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Imagine four Death Tards on the edge of a cliff...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Imagine four Death Tards on the edge of a cliff...

ya i watch red letter media too

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I was listening to their commentary track for Return of a Jedi and what the hell is Mike talking about when he says there are like no "pop-culture thing" in Empire compared to the other two Star Wars movies? Empire has like a ton of stuff both that was turned into toys and which in many ways has become a part of pop culture, non-comprehensive list follows:

- Imperial prove droids
- Snowtroopers
- Snowspeeders
- AT-ATs
- Wampa monster
- "Go to Dagobah"
- Tauntauns
- "Use your harpoons and tow-cables"
- Millennium Falcon in asteroid field
- Asteroid worm monster
- Darth Vader choking Imperial officers at the drop of a hat (he chokes exactly one guy in IV and does not kill him)
- Darth Vader's chamber
- Bounty hunters
- Cloud City
- Frozen in carbonite
- "No, Luke, I am your father"
- Yoda
- Force cave
- Super Star Destroyer
- Imperial March theme

And a whole lot more. I don't really see how in any way Empire has less things that are like part of pop-culture in it than the other two. I think Mike was making an argument about the movie itself being more remembered rather than a bunch of stuff in the movie that people know and can reference on its own, or something like that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Abrams Wars2 better have ewoks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
They must have had a horrible theater experience because i barely registered a lot of the stuff that seemed to grate on them. The ATST didn't even jump out at me since they just explained the empire had locked the city down due to recent attacks. Most of the complaints seem to have been explained at some point in the dialogue. The only parts that i disagreed with was having c3po and r2d2 as well as the 2 bar guys in the movie at all. They could have been absent with no impact to the story. Also, the test audience was dumb for demanding the lava vader scene. It would have been fine to keep vader in dialogue only or have him on the death star or imperial shuttle. Lava vader was some prequel callback nonsense. If they really needed extra vader they could have had him murder forrest whitaker before cassien could, making him second guess his orders in the rest of the film.

• Locked thread