Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
heads piled high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Grats on the $60 you got since I went to sleep.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Judging by the backer trend in the last 24 hours, it seems this campaign is on the fast track to the chopping block.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Your indie gogo claims state of the art 3D graphics, the screenshots look like 2002-2004 state of the art. Are they just place holder graphics? It's okay to use a Playstation 1 style graphics it can add to the charm but if you are claiming state of the art these are not 8k in your face wow graphics.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Hey, if someone donated $35k they could get their Guillotine OC put in the game

the dream of Thermidor with Guillotines is still alive

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

randombattle posted:

Does it have to be myself in the game or can I just put Johnny Fiveaces in if I pay 35,000 american dollars?

Also come on.

Come on. It's a beat em up. What is this. You took 3 months and you called it a beat em all?

beat 'em off style gameplay, looks like

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I just came here to share my favorite song with my favorite thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm All The Improper Capitalization In The Campaign Page

Also Someone Just Backed The $300 Tier So You Guys Can Suck It

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:eyepop: GOKU IS IN THIS GAME TOO?!?!?!?!?!?!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

How Rude posted:

Hey, if someone donated $35k they could get their Guillotine OC put in the game

the dream of Thermidor with Guillotines is still alive

Unless you actually look like a guillotine, you would have sprung a 35k$ trap.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Looks like famous band At The Drive-In is getting in on the ground floor in both guillotines and random miscapitalization!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-NYWzd7JW8&t=86s

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

New Zealand can eat me posted:

:eyepop: GOKU IS IN THIS GAME TOO?!?!?!?!?!?!

He had the 35K

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

vanisher posted:

He had the 35K

Mr. Satan did give him a bunch of money at the start of Dragon Ball Super!

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
The art style is cute, the 3D models, while not AWFUL are no where near professional and clash with the art style which is more prominent in your advertising so far. The story is being touted as a major selling point but we have almost no example of writing quality or direction aside from Japanese/French voice acting and what seems to be the only scene organized so far which is the Tavern (I'm assuming it's a mock up and the only gameplay made that looks playable).

How do things function outside of combat? Is there a fully explorable 3D world a la traditional JRPGs, or does it take more of a date sim/Phoenix Wright approach of location selection with backdrop+character+textbox? How far along is the game in production (if you were to estimate) and how much of it is solely dependent on reaching the crowd funding goal?

Good luck. Game development is hell.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the icon they have for mac support is literally the osx 10.3 install disk

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
which came out in 2003

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Btw if anybody is curious I'm the anonymous backer that pledged $300. It's definitely not one of the developers' moms.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Gimbal lock posted:

Unless you actually look like a guillotine, you would have sprung a 35k$ trap.

does it count if I sexually identify myself as a guillotine

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
your game looks like poo poo

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
eddie is the only one who shows friendly sincerity the rest of you look like you hate doing this (except the artist couldnt see her face)

why the hate man

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kelp Me! posted:

Btw if anybody is curious I'm the anonymous backer that pledged $300. It's definitely not one of the developers' moms.

why

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Crusher posted:

The art style is cute, the 3D models, while not AWFUL are no where near professional and clash with the art style which is more prominent in your advertising so far. The story is being touted as a major selling point but we have almost no example of writing quality or direction aside from Japanese/French voice acting and what seems to be the only scene organized so far which is the Tavern (I'm assuming it's a mock up and the only gameplay made that looks playable).

How do things function outside of combat? Is there a fully explorable 3D world a la traditional JRPGs, or does it take more of a date sim/Phoenix Wright approach of location selection with backdrop+character+textbox? How far along is the game in production (if you were to estimate) and how much of it is solely dependent on reaching the crowd funding goal?

Hi,

The art in the game is exactly as previously shown in the screenshots so one is free to like it or not, maybe you were expecting to see MOE type of graphic but we want to bring something more "realistic" in the style, sorry if it does not please you, also keep in mind those are not the final models and we will refine them as the development is progressing . This is not a mock up, video and screenshot are made using the real game engine, of course it is an alpha version of the engine, not totally implemented with all the features yet since we need the funding to do so. If you check the indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, you will see that our estimated date of delivery is December 2017, how far we are so far, we would say, enough to have this technical demo and engine up and running, now we need to add the game content and dialogues out of the story-line. The game is not a full open world, it is a world made of several 3D locations (mostly in Paris, but some in the surroundings), you can picture it as in the style of a Jeanne D'Arc.

Thank you for your warm wish, game development is not something new for us but we agree that it is a hard work to do because of all the platforms, market fragmentation and cost inflation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I believe in the cause, ok??

hyperdevbox posted:

Hi,

The art in the game is exactly as previously shown in the screenshots so one is free to like it or not, maybe you were expecting to see MOE type of graphic but we want to bring something more "realistic" in the style, sorry if it does not please you, also keep in mind those are not the final models and we will refine them as the development is progressing . This is not a mock up, video and screenshot are made using the real game engine, of course it is an alpha version of the engine, not totally implemented with all the features yet since we need the funding to do so. If you check the indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, you will see that our estimated date of delivery is December 2017, how far we are so far, we would say, enough to have this technical demo and engine up and running, now we need to add the game content and dialogues out of the story-line. The game is not a full open world, it is a world made of several 3D locations (mostly in Paris, but some in the surroundings), you can picture it as in the style of a Jeanne D'Arc.

Thank you for your warm wish, game development is not something new for us but we agree that it is a hard work to do because of all the platforms, market fragmentation and cost inflation.

Hey man for all intents and purposes this definitely looks like you guys' first full-fledged game, even if it isn't it doesn't really reflect well on the developers as a whole when you get so defensive when people criticize your artwork/assets. Remember, you're representing your entire studio on a public forum!

Also "realistic" style is not even remotely what I get from either the artwork or the in-game assets, sorry. People are probably going to expect a very anime-type game because your characters basically look like what Japanese animators think 18th-century white people look like.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I was really excited for new screenshots. I'm not sure I want to donate, now - is the game even still being worked on?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
You guys have barely rendered a single tavern with like 3 character models and have precisely 0 gameplay footage. In fact your gameplay explanations consist largely of crude, borderline unintelligible sketches, rather then actual in-game demonstrations of gameplay. Just a heads up that this doesn't exactly inspire someone to help you reach your quarter of a million dollar goal.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

randombattle posted:

Come on. It's a beat em up. What is this. You took 3 months and you called it a beat em all?

So apparently, in French, the term is "Beat them all" LOL.
I just changed the English to "Beat 'em up".

Thank you!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Worth it to hang out with Ron in an exclusive Tokyo club tbqh.

hehe thank you.

The Crusher posted:

From our CEO:

Hi,

The art in the game is exactly as previously shown in the screenshots so one is free to like it or not, maybe you were expecting to see MOE type of graphic but we want to bring something more "realistic" in the style, sorry if it does not please you, also keep in mind those are not the final models and we will refine them as the development is progressing . This is not a mock up, video and screenshot are made using the real game engine, of course it is an alpha version of the engine, not totally implemented with all the features yet since we need the funding to do so. If you check the indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, you will see that our estimated date of delivery is December 2017, how far we are so far, we would say, enough to have this technical demo and engine up and running, now we need to add the game content and our dialogues of the story-line. The game is not a full open world, it is a world made of several 3D locations (mostly in Paris, but some in the surroundings), you can picture it as in the style of a Jeanne D'Arc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hyperdevbox posted:

From our CEO:

Hi,

The art in the game is exactly as previously shown in the screenshots so one is free to like it or not, maybe you were expecting to see MOE type of graphic but we want to bring something more "realistic" in the style, sorry if it does not please you, also keep in mind those are not the final models and we will refine them as the development is progressing . This is not a mock up, video and screenshot are made using the real game engine, of course it is an alpha version of the engine, not totally implemented with all the features yet since we need the funding to do so. If you check the indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, you will see that our estimated date of delivery is December 2017, how far we are so far, we would say, enough to have this technical demo and engine up and running, now we need to add the game content and our dialogues of the story-line. The game is not a full open world, it is a world made of several 3D locations (mostly in Paris, but some in the surroundings), you can picture it as in the style of a Jeanne D'Arc.

You made the same post twice in a row get it together man!

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
$487 on the first day not bad! :coolspot:

You have my full spiritual support but unfortunately I don't believe in keeping my money in banks so I can't send you the $35,000 I would otherwise donate.

Also OP you should put your kickstarter address on your first post in the thread. Just a protip.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DropsySufferer posted:

$487 on the first day not bad! :coolspot:

You have my full spiritual support but unfortunately I don't believe in keeping my money in banks so I can't send you the $35,000 I would otherwise donate.

Also OP you should put your kickstarter address on your first post in the thread. Just a protip.

Thank you!
Changed :rock:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You guys have barely rendered a single tavern with like 3 character models and have precisely 0 gameplay footage. In fact your gameplay explanations consist largely of crude, borderline unintelligible sketches, rather then actual in-game demonstrations of gameplay. Just a heads up that this doesn't exactly inspire someone to help you reach your quarter of a million dollar goal.

Sorry but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, are you a game developer ? What have you done so far ? NO , it is not "rendered" like rendered in a 3D software and YES, it is full realtime gameplay recorded on PC, if you took the time to check our pitch video before posting, you would have seen gameplay footage played on a big TV screen running strong at 60 fps. As for asking the crowd to fund a game development, it is the main concept of the crowdfunding, if you want to buy a complete game, browse the steam catalog ^^

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hyperdevbox posted:

Sorry but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, are you a game developer ? What have you done so far ? NO , it is not "rendered" like rendered in a 3D software and YES, it is full realtime gameplay recorded on PC, if you took the time to check our pitch video before posting, you would have seen gameplay footage played on a big TV screen running strong at 60 fps. As for asking the crowd to fund a game development, it is the main concept of the crowdfunding, if you want to buy a complete game, browse the steam catalog ^^

:allears:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Why do i get the feeling that they're account sharing?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kelp Me! posted:

You made the same post twice in a row get it together man!

The second time the CEO said it tho

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Say, you mention that there are features missing from the rendering engine that you guys are awaiting further funding on to tackle. What kind of features are we talking about?

Also, our friend is accurate (despite you claiming that his lack of game dev experience makes his opinion null amd void): just because the game is running in realtime doesn't mean it isn't being rendered -- key word being realtime. You're touting that what you currently do have is running at 60 fps, but that doesn't mean much without context of the hardware you're running on and, more importantly, what the job is.

Prokhor Zakharov said that what you are currently showing of the game (a fairly spartan room with a handfull of characters idling and/or moving a bit) isn't a whole lot to go on for pledging money. The fact that this is running at 60 fps should at the very least be expected: his whole point is that there isn't much going on, so why would the system be taxed by that?

Also, for the record and since it looks like it matters for some reason, I am a game dev with many AAA releases under my belt.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hyperdevbox posted:

if you want to buy a complete game, browse the steam catalog ^^

So you guys spent 4 months preparing the kickstarter page and you release a $30 game pitch that's nowhere near completion or early access... On the biggest games sale week of the year? You can be sure that browsing steam is exactly what people will do.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gimbal lock posted:

Say, you mention that there are features missing from the rendering engine that you guys are awaiting further funding on to tackle. What kind of features are we talking about?

Also, our friend is accurate (despite you claiming that his lack of game dev experience makes his opinion null amd void): just because the game is running in realtime doesn't mean it isn't being rendered -- key word being realtime. You're touting that what you currently do have is running at 60 fps, but that doesn't mean much without context of the hardware you're running on and, more importantly, what the job is.

Prokhor Zakharov said that what you are currently showing of the game (a fairly spartan room with a handfull of characters idling and/or moving a bit) isn't a whole lot to go on for pledging money. The fact that this is running at 60 fps should at the very least be expected: his whole point is that there isn't much going on, so why would the system be taxed by that?

Also, for the record and since it looks like it matters for some reason, I am a game dev with many AAA releases under my belt.

In general it does matter to know about what you are talking about and/or criticizing about if you do not want to be seen as a troll. I agree, all 3D games are "rendered" by the GPU, it does become realtime gameplay if you do have some kind of interactivity with the game like we have, Prokhor Zakharov claim that we have 0 gameplay is simply false, I just pointed that ! The hardware used during the recording was a notebook + nvidia geforce gt640m, 1920x1080 HDMI out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

hyperdevbox posted:

Sorry but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, are you a game developer ? What have you done so far ? NO , it is not "rendered" like rendered in a 3D software and YES, it is full realtime gameplay recorded on PC, if you took the time to check our pitch video before posting, you would have seen gameplay footage played on a big TV screen running strong at 60 fps.

No I'm not a game developer, but I do make a comfortable living with creative endeavors, and if I went to my publisher with half a paragraph scrawled on a torn-out sheet of notebook paper and said, "Hey this should give you a great idea of the 90,000 other words I'll (probably) write, please forward me $250,000 and I'll (maybe) finish it at some point." then I'd be laughed out of her loving office. A big part of what I do is knowing how to market myself and my work, something you could stand to take a few lessons on. Crowdfunding has gotten more and more contentious over the years as there have been a number of very high profile, very public failures, and to come in here with little to no pedigree, little to no actual game to show, and just some vague descriptions of your core gameplay mechanics, doesn't make me want to give you money. Like, why is this even a crowdfunding campaign? Did you guys get turned down by conventional publishers, and if so, why? Why do you need so much money? Have you guys maybe considered scaling your game back a bit (eliminating voice work alone would save you a loving ton of money)?

You haven't given a lot of information, you've given bizarre answers to very basic questions, and now you pull out the ol' "WELL WHAT HAVE YOU CREATED" chestnut (literally the go-to defense for the creatively bankrupt). Then you follow it up with the equally antique "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT." Be careful with those and make sure you blow the dust off them before you put them back in the museum.

hyperdevbox posted:

As for asking the crowd to fund a game development, it is the main concept of the crowdfunding, if you want to buy a complete game, browse the steam catalog ^^

This is exactly what I'm gonna do and the fact that I am should really worry you because otherwise a tactical rpg would be right in my wheelhouse ^^

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hyperdevbox posted:

In general it does matter to know about what you are talking about and/or criticizing about if you do not want to be seen as a troll. I agree, all 3D games are "rendered" by the GPU, it does become realtime gameplay if you do have some kind of interactivity with the game like we have, Prokhor Zakharov claim that we have 0 gameplay is simply false, I just pointed that ! The hardware used during the recording was a notebook + nvidia geforce gt640m, 1920x1080 HDMI out.

I think that you're the one who's missing the point here. Game dev frameworks are dime a dozen these days and loading character models and textures into something that has zero game logic behind it is rather easy. You guys never interact with the game in the video. And since the "gameplay" demonstration at no point shows anything resembling your own code running at the background, would it hurt that much to show, for instance, the player character attacking someone and demonstrating any semblance of damage calculation? Wouldn't that be pretty much an essential requirement for a Proof of Concept, and even more for a crowdfunding pitch? It kinda makes it look like you guys don't have the development resources to see this project through even if you somehow hit the crowdfunding goal.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

So you guys spent 4 months preparing the kickstarter page and you release a $30 game pitch that's nowhere near completion or early access... On the biggest games sale week of the year? You can be sure that browsing steam is exactly what people will do.

You must be mistaken We have NO Kickstarter campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

I think that you're the one who's missing the point here. Game dev frameworks are dime a dozen these days and loading character models and textures into something that has zero game logic behind it is rather easy. You guys never interact with the game in the video. And since the "gameplay" demonstration at no point shows anything resembling your own code running at the background, would it hurt that much to show, for instance, the player character attacking someone and demonstrating any semblance of damage calculation? Wouldn't that be pretty much an essential requirement for a Proof of Concept, and even more for a crowdfunding pitch? It kinda makes it look like you guys don't have the development resources to see this project through even if you somehow hit the crowdfunding goal.

I am not missing any point, you do ! If you think that a game framework will do a game for you without any need of being a game developer and invest time in coding and money resources in assets then I am sorry you are living in a dreamland, but please show me I am wrong, pretty easy for you isn't it ? Post an exact similar gameplay video made by you using your favorite game framework and with your original character design, I just cannot wait to see your "0 gameplay" for next week ^^

• Locked thread