Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hivac posted:

On an unrelated note, is GC any good? The graphics and mechanics look weird but the cast list is tempting

GC is stunningly average. The Parts system is a cool idea but poorly utilized, as is the G-Gen style capture system. (Literally the only really good use of it is in allowing you to save Bernie by cutting his Zaku's limbs off.) The series list is strong and there's some genuinely fun moments of crossover but it's otherwise basically a Very Average SRW with pretty bad graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hivac posted:

On an unrelated note, is GC any good? The graphics and mechanics look weird but the cast list is tempting

Well its got a translation up to stage 20-something so you may as well give it a shot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I just want to hear Takehito Koyasu totally hamming it up, the screaming from Morikawa is an added bonus.
Fair enough.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

My dream cast is R-Type in a SRW.

R-Type Tactics exists.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well its got a translation up to stage 20-something so you may as well give it a shot.

How is the translation? I hear /m/ put forth a pretty concerted effort on it. Any good screencaps or anything?

Edit: Also today I learned Yoshitaka Amano has a book of GoShogun art???

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 22, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i'm mildly surprised so many people want GGG back, and with more focus on it. after alpha 3 i feel like i've had enough of that series for a lifetime, but that's not to say people can't have favourites!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
While Super Schmup Wars sounds great, I want the plot of R-Type in a typical SRW. The BYDO are a pretty scary enemy.

Schwarzwald posted:

R-Type Tactics exists.

Yes, and I loved it. I wish the second game, Operation Bitter Chocolate, had been translated.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Luceid posted:

i'm mildly surprised so many people want GGG back, and with more focus on it. after alpha 3 i feel like i've had enough of that series for a lifetime, but that's not to say people can't have favourites!

GGG is one of those series I simply can never get enough of - it just hits all the right spots for me.

Getter Armageddon and Dendoh are other such examples for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, and I loved it. I wish the second game, Operation Bitter Chocolate, had been translated.

Everything I've heard about Bitter Chocolate sounds fantastic. Here's hoping it gets a fan translation, someday.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Discussing Gaogaigar in SRW brings me right back around to Tekkaman Blade again, because of how it was handled in W. I feel like those two series didn't belong together, even with their superficial similarities like civilian contractor outer space development companies getting access to superheroes outside the world's military hierarchy. After watching Blade, I feel like for that series to really work and keep its level of grittiness intact, it needs to be dark. You can't have an uplifting plot on the scale of Gaogaigar without sacrificing the gritty and dark tone that drove Tekkaman Blade.

It's a show where the whole world is all but overrun by alien life that's even altering their ecosystem and rendering huge swathes of land unlivable. Nobody can stand up to the aliens except Tekkaman Blade and the couple of Sol Tekkamen still left, and even then, Blade has a hard 30 minute limit and cannot fight indefinitely like he does in SRW. In the latter parts of the show, Blade's transformations start to take a heavy mental toll on him, and the Space Knights are driven to question if they should be sending him out at all, given what it's doing to him. In a setting where Mazinger and Grendizer are right around the corner, there's no reason for this dilemma to exist - Blade can feasibly just sit back and let the rest of the super robot army do their thing, meaning a lot of that plot drive and tension is just lost.

Basically, I think if Tekkaman Blade did get a prime-time slot again, they shouldn't use GGG or other really positive shows. They should use similarly toned series like original Dancougar and Shin Getter Robo Armageddon, maybe one of the grittier Mazinger incarnations like Mazinkaiser vs. the Great General of Darkness (this is an excuse for me to get The Gate of the Hell as BGM).

I'm sorry to anyone who read all the way to the end of my long fanfiction opinions

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 22, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I already got BOTH my dream shows in a single game (Galient and Gorg), and they both were really solid in their own right with pretty good animations all things considered, so I'm pretty much set for the foreseeable future as to wanting series in the games.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Now I want a SRW but exclusively about heroes with time limits, or other bizarre limitations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Now I want a SRW but exclusively about heroes with time limits.

This is a wonderful idea

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I found out about Mechander in whatever Compact they were in and it sounds awful.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Schwarzwald posted:

Now I want a SRW but exclusively about heroes with time limits, or other bizarre limitations.

Just play OGs and go for every single SR point. That will have ask the time limits and bizarre limitations you want.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

finally, a game for star driver

edit: random q but does anyone have a link to the old thread?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 22, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Isn't Tauburn the only one without a time limit?

e: here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Isn't Tauburn the only one without a time limit?

e: here
Yeah, but doesn't Tauburn still have to break into that time limit to fight?

God, Star Driver was weird.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Captain Earth had a time limit thing too IIRC, but only when they were on Earth piloting the smaller robots IIRC.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I still think it's hilarious that people asked, apparently in complete seriousness, if we somehow extended the scene in one episode where the two main characters fight and then pant at each other for 42 consecutive seconds, beyond the raw broadcast.

The answer is no.

If they make a Star Driver Super Robot Wars, I expect that entire scene to be voiced in real time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they would have a Super Shounen Anime Wars.

I mean, combine the casts of Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto and maybe Hero Academia and that's a large-sized SRW cast right there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

I mean, combine the casts of Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto and maybe Hero Academia and that's a large-sized SRW cast right there.
They actually tried something like this back in the NES era.

That's Famicom Jump II. No idea if its any good or not, and I doubt it's available in English.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Pureauthor posted:

Considering the humongous casts of shounen jump series, I'd expect it to be a cross of Alpha 3 and Jump Ultimate Stars, where you've got leader characters and support characters.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I still want to see Xenogears (not Saga) in SRW. It'd fit right in with the likes of Xabungle and Turn A Gundam and After War Gundam X.

Xenogars fits in with most of Alpha Gaiden, is what I'm saying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

put hunter x hunter in it and give me a secret to recruit the phantom troupe

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I still want to see Xenogears (not Saga) in SRW. It'd fit right in with the likes of Xabungle and Turn A Gundam and After War Gundam X.

That's a pitch I did once.

Super Robot Wars X
Xenogears
Combat Mecha Xabungle
Turn A Gundam
After War Gundam X
G no Reconguista
Megaman Legends
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Megaman Legends 2
Getter Robo Armageddon
Big O
SDF Macross
Mobile Fighter G Gundam

...I think that was the roster.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Had a strange bug in GGG where Chara Soon somehow lost her Cyber-Newtype Skill and got two Counterattack skills (at level 2 and 3).

Edit: Found out it seems to be tied to appearance, as I worried. I wonder if its the first level up, because I prefer Chara Soon from the first half of ZZ over the second half (same goes for Mashymre).

Edit 2: Well, she does not gain counterattack on level 2 or 3 with the other appearance so I'll need to do more testing but this is rather disappointing. That appearance is fully bugged and I hope they patch it.

ZuljinRaynor fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2016

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

My dream SRW would go low tech, and feature Ace Combat Zero. If you deploy Cipher, Pixy deploys for free.

I think it'd fit pretty well with FMP, and the finale would loving rule.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
My dream SRW is starting off with a bunch of Yokoyama manga, then a sequel with Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
My dream SRW has the ending to the rebuild Eva films.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I personally just want G-Reco in cause all the mobile suits were just so good-looking. Gorgeous grunts and cool elite units for days, with a progression in power and technology in step with the escalation of conflict.

Also Steer yelling dialogue from the Megafauna.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'd want Xenogears AND Xenosaga. Having Ziggy and KOS-MOS punch robots waaaay too big for them would be great. And the ESes would own.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a pitch I did once.

Super Robot Wars X

No Megaman X? Pfft.

Seriously though I want more human-sized units punching above their weight class.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No Megaman X? Pfft.

Seriously though I want more human-sized units punching above their weight class.

Metal Gear Rising in a SRW game please.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Had a strange bug in GGG where Chara Soon somehow lost her Cyber-Newtype Skill and got two Counterattack skills (at level 2 and 3).

Edit: Found out it seems to be tied to appearance, as I worried. I wonder if its the first level up, because I prefer Chara Soon from the first half of ZZ over the second half (same goes for Mashymre).

Edit 2: Well, she does not gain counterattack on level 2 or 3 with the other appearance so I'll need to do more testing but this is rather disappointing. That appearance is fully bugged and I hope they patch it.

I haven't played Genesis, but it's fairly normal in G Gen for characters to have different appearances that gain different skills and have different stats/tension. Usually the two ZZ Cyber Newtypes(Mashymre and Chara) have a first half appearance without Cyber NT and a second half appearance with Cyber NT and different skills. Another example is Allenby from G Gundam, who typically has a normal appearance and a Berserker Allenby appearance with a wholly red tension bar and different skills.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Kanos posted:

I haven't played Genesis, but it's fairly normal in G Gen for characters to have different appearances that gain different skills and have different stats/tension. Usually the two ZZ Cyber Newtypes(Mashymre and Chara) have a first half appearance without Cyber NT and a second half appearance with Cyber NT and different skills. Another example is Allenby from G Gundam, who typically has a normal appearance and a Berserker Allenby appearance with a wholly red tension bar and different skills.

Hmm... should she get Counterattack twice, though? Like I got it at level 2 and level 3. I didn't want to keep experiment​ at that time because I was kinda panicking (like I just spent a lot of time to unlock Chara after all and I did not want her to be broken). In GGG it seems like appearance is just visual (since you can swap it at will when forming your group) and I did not notice any stat changes or anything like that. I may be wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Metal Gear Rising in a SRW game please.

No, Metal Gear 1 and 2. So you can have Big Boss as a villain and this as Snake's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIjT-LhNwg

Snake's schtick is that he can pilot any non-pilot locked mecha, much like in the games he can use any weapon he finds.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's what I always thought MSF or Diamond Dogs should have as a gimmick if they ever make it into an SRW game, since Peace Walker and MGSV have you stealing vehicles and stuff anyways.

It's like, Big Boss can ride a Mass Produced Great Mazinger he ballooned somewhere, why not.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Hmm... should she get Counterattack twice, though? Like I got it at level 2 and level 3. I didn't want to keep experiment​ at that time because I was kinda panicking (like I just spent a lot of time to unlock Chara after all and I did not want her to be broken). In GGG it seems like appearance is just visual (since you can swap it at will when forming your group) and I did not notice any stat changes or anything like that. I may be wrong.

Chara Soon, Mashymere, and Riddhe all have stat changes with their costume changes. They may not be the only ones, but they're the ones I remember off the top of my head.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My dream SRW is one that comes out on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In SRWJ, is this thing about not deploying the Zeorymer unless required to get the Great Zeorymer some kind of glitch or is it an intended mechanic?

• Locked thread