Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Carcer posted:

Have you considered an army of steam tanks?

Does anyone have trip reports about massed Waywatchers vs Steam Tank(s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
No, but surely the waywatchers would get run down before they can kill the tanks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just ran it, in an evenly costed fight the tanks get wrecked, killed by focused AP fire before they ever get in melee range (the tanks are slightly faster but by skirmishing back you can keep them away long enough). In a straight 20 v 20 it's really tight, but without campaign ammo buffs the waywatchers run out before they can kill all the tanks. I ran both tests on a map with no forests and the tanks starting on a hill though so the terrain favoured them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Did you play the tanks, waywatchers, or both?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Carcer posted:

Did you play the tanks, waywatchers, or both?

Just the WW.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well, your input is almost certainly the deciding factor then.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Vermintide was on sale, and I decided to give it a go before I burned out on the RTS. All it did was make me want Skaven in the game more badly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Swiftshiver deepscout things will flatten unarmored armies no joke, wow. RIP, Skarsnik.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

What do all the different arrows mean, anyway? I just ended up building whatever because it didn't matter at all by the time I had access.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Corrode posted:

What do all the different arrows mean, anyway? I just ended up building whatever because it didn't matter at all by the time I had access.

One is armor piercing, one is poison, one is fast firing (I think.)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

wiegieman posted:

One is armor piercing, one is poison, one is fast firing (I think.)

Hagsbane are poison, Starfire are fire, and Swiftshiver are anti-infantry with reduced range.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Corrode posted:

Hagbane: Poison, applies a fairly significant debuff to pretty much every combat-relevant stat and speed. Great for kiting things around.

Starfire: Armour-piercing and flaming attacks. Almost the full damage is converted into AP damage, so they're pretty great.

Swiftshiver: Fires two arrows at once, but at a reduced range.

Additionally, all the advanced arrow types count as magical damage, so they're also good against ghosts and stuff. Hagbane and Starfire are direct upgrades to the default versions, so just take them as soon as you've unlocked them. Swiftshivers are a little more situational, but so powerful that they're probably worth it all the time anyhow.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Perestroika posted:

Hagbane: Poison, applies a fairly significant debuff to pretty much every combat-relevant stat and speed. Great for kiting things around.

Starfire: Armour-piercing and flaming attacks. Almost the full damage is converted into AP damage, so they're pretty great.

Swiftshiver: Fires two arrows at once, but at a reduced range.

Additionally, all the advanced arrow types count as magical damage, so they're also good against ghosts and stuff. Hagbane and Starfire are direct upgrades to the default versions, so just take them as soon as you've unlocked them. Swiftshivers are a little more situational, but so powerful that they're probably worth it all the time anyhow.

Starfire actually do 4 less damage (~17%) than regular and hagbane arrows so they are only worth taking if you know you are going to need the AP.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Oh God four damage?!?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
better than getting flagellated by dwarven beards

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Lunethex posted:

better than getting flagellated by dwarven beards

Starfire isn't actually that great against Dwarfs because they're resistant to the magic damage. Gotta spring for the Waystalkers or Hawkriders for that.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Starfire actually do 4 less damage (~17%) than regular and hagbane arrows so they are only worth taking if you know you are going to need the AP.
Source
Each point of armor is ~.75% reduction in damage unless you're at the extremes.

So Starfire beats Hagbane or standard as long as the target has more than 25 armor or so. Which means Starfire equals or beats Hagbane unless you're fighting a Flagellant style 0 armor unit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rygar201 posted:

Oh God four damage?!?

When we're talking 4 out of 23 over the course of all the arrows being fired by 60 archers it's not insignificant.

Xae posted:

Source
Each point of armor is ~.75% reduction in damage unless you're at the extremes.

So Starfire beats Hagbane or standard as long as the target has more than 25 armor or so. Which means Starfire equals or beats Hagbane unless you're fighting a Flagellant style 0 armor unit.

Thanks for the link, that's good information. So it's probably safe to say that starfire is generally better, unless you are fighting magic resistant enemies or all low armor enemies like flagellants, night goblins, non-bestigor beastmen line infantry, or savage orcs.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is there a good effortpost on what to do with Wood Elves in the grand campaign? I thought I remembered someone mentioning conquering the forest by force early by using ambushes at the Oak map. I tried that, and the first other wood elf faction came with two full stacks of high tier troops on turn 12 to my stack of eternal guard without shields and glade guard. rip me. I reloaded and just looked at all of the other wood elf armies in play and they all have poo poo from the last couple of tiers of buildings in their armies on turn 12. On normal. I don't think this is going to work out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My basic MO is to jump around taking small settlements around the forest and building up a stack or two. Don't get into too many wars at a time, and don't worry about trying to hold outposts; just burn down towns that are easy to take for the gold and experience. While this is going on. If you want the other LL, try to build up an alliance with the other 'big' woodelf faction. Just stay at peace with the others. Keep an eye on the other elves. When they look weak (their stacks are out of the forest, basically), swoop in with your armies and take their settlement.

Once you're not confined to the single settlement, you're really on the gravy train. You can conquer the rest of Athel Loren from there. If you hold the whole forest, that's a strong enough economic base to basically win the game. You can slowly expand from there, taking outposts and building alliances.

Remember that while Amber is your long term goal, you don't need it now. Just burn down easy cities and take their stuff. You get ridiculous $$ for it. I think I've got 30k from a single sack and loot! Further, woodelf leaders have incredibly strong red skill trees. Even a little experience goes a long way to helping you win those combats.

A further note: Durthu has a far easier start than Orion, imo. The dwarves he starts at war with have their hands full with crooked moon and are a lot less dangerous than the brettonians and beastmen that will immediately jump down Orion's throat.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 22, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aurubin posted:

Vermintide was on sale, and I decided to give it a go before I burned out on the RTS. All it did was make me want Skaven in the game more badly.

This is a really good decision fyi.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'd dig it if the skaven mini campaign included abusing Ubersreik in some way.

just as a settlement on the map for you to burn down unceremoniously

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, I think I hit the jackpot with my Greenskin campaign. 45 turns in and I control everything south of Kharaz-a-Kharak and rake in a positive cashflow with three stacks running around. The one small greenskin tribe south of Barak Varr hold two minor province and besides them all I'm now at war with is the main stuntie faction, which have confederated Zhufbar and Barak Varr. The dwarf faction down south hugely overextended and allowed me to gobble them up except for their capital... which was immediately snatched by the Crooked Moon mutineers, but that allowed me to stab them in the back and wipe their weakened stack right after they had taken the place followed by an easy siege of Eightpeaks. Meanwhile, the remnants of those same dwarves pushed in the poo poo of the savage orcs just as the savage orcs pushed in Wurrzag's poo poo, causing him to be willing to confed with me. And with the pressure off thanks to the dwarves, he pushed back, took down the savage orc faction and then wiped the stunties, too.

Wurrzag's trait is kinda interesting. More expensive savage orcs, but they get like 35% physial resistance. Gotta have to experiment a bit with that. Also, the AI is still GREAT at building its generals. Wurrzag was at level 5 when I got him... with all points invested into his yellow melee branch. :downs:

Greenskin vs Dwarves early on is a loving nightmare. I had a few battles where my entire army went to shambles and I only won because Grimgor reacted by rolling his eyes at all these stupid gits and proceeded to do the job by himself. :orks101:

Also, all-gobbo aries with a Night Goblin Big Boss in charge are hilariously killy for their upkeep, and Nasty Skulkers are one of the very few early units that can put in work against the stunties.

Magni fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 22, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its the other way around, Wurrzag gets CHEAPER Savage Orcs AND that resistance buff.

Edit: Huh. Just saw that Wurrzags skill "Fury of Da Prophet!" is bugged. Its supposed to grant magical attacks for his army but now its blank. Thought it was a mod (mine was the first one i suspected) but after turning all mods off its still not working.

The latest patch must've broken it. Guess i'll have to fix it!

Edit 2: Lol the skill is blank even on their database website!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 22, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

fnordcircle posted:

Update: I still hate facing wood elves in the campaign because it's so goddamn bloody.

That's all.

I played Morghur and the Wood Elves engaged their hateboner for me early and chased me across the realm and never let up. I decided to fix this by playing as One-Eye instead and burned all of Athel Loren down early. Felt good and since no one anywhere can ever fix it, it stayed a horrible corrupted mess till the end. Felt extremely good.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
And the Fix for "Fury of Da Prophet!" is up:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823188521

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gejnor posted:

Its the other way around, Wurrzag gets CHEAPER Savage Orcs AND that resistance buff.

He does if you choose to play as him, but if you confederate him (as was done there) the savage orcs are more expensive instead for some reason.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Charity Spring posted:

He does if you choose to play as him, but if you confederate him (as was done there) the savage orcs are more expensive instead for some reason.

Almost sounds like a bug, but it could be intentional i guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Right, I've thought for the longest time that once all's said and done that the Empire would have the most difficult start in this game. Unfortunately, CA's decision to put Skarsnik's start in the western mountains sunk that notion the moment Wood Elves got added.

Holy *poo poo* are you in a bad spot there: everyone hates you (with good reason), you fight a very diverse cast of enemies that will tax your army composition abilities, and your terrain advantage (non-Dwarfs get bogged down at the mountain range entrances) is gone with the Wood Elf DLC putting a massive Underway-capable enemy right at your figurative back.

I think I should've gone for that victory before the DLC hit...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why when raiding in light forest am I getting bare snow maps when attacked (as planned)?

My half dryad half glade rider army needs at least one thicket ffs.

Tilea's cheating knows no limit.

edit: Had to move onto grassland to find trees (and plenty of them).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 22, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

toasterwarrior posted:

Right, I've thought for the longest time that once all's said and done that the Empire would have the most difficult start in this game. Unfortunately, CA's decision to put Skarsnik's start in the western mountains sunk that notion the moment Wood Elves got added.

Holy *poo poo* are you in a bad spot there: everyone hates you (with good reason), you fight a very diverse cast of enemies that will tax your army composition abilities, and your terrain advantage (non-Dwarfs get bogged down at the mountain range entrances) is gone with the Wood Elf DLC putting a massive Underway-capable enemy right at your figurative back.

Skarsnik is easy as poo poo on VH now. The Wood Elves are scary if you let them get scary but it's also pretty easy to just use them as an ATM. With how cheap your gobbos are you can have three stacks just from holding the Grey Mountains and the region to the south. Wait til they have nobody in the area, underway in and sack Waterfall Palace and Fingol's place and you just made 40k. You'll probably need two stacks for each spot,but you can do it with three using one non-sieging army as a flex to help with both battles. Your goblins get massive massive buffs and you can just drown them early and continue sacking their settlements. You should probably move in on them very soon after they confederate. I'm at turn 100 or so on my Skarsnik campaign now and control pretty much everything but the southern badlands. Spider Riders are really great against elves.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 22, 2016

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Doesn't she normally were a giant butterfly hennin? All the art of seen of her has that.

Here's hoping she will be a rare case of a caster LL that is complete garbage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Working as intended, IMO. We all know Skarsnik and Gobbla are the hardest of the hard, and a little thing like having angry beards, frilly krauts, and homicidal shrubbery show up on your doorstep day one isn't going to stop him from coming out on top.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I dont know posted:

Doesn't she normally were a giant butterfly hennin? All the art of seen of her has that.
I think you're referring to the old art and model.

I'm pretty sure this was her 6th edition model.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 22, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

drat, that horse is swole.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Aw booh. I was hoping for the old model/art.

This one gives off more of a classical sorceress vibe, and since the Fae Enchanctress has a tendency to turn people into frogs I was all ready to play a fake french knockoff of Maleficent. :sigh:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah they're focusing on 8th edition which works out well in some cases, not others

For instance, Wild Riders on stags and not elven steeds is kind of lame, though why watching them *sproink* into the rear of a formation is pretty funny

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
With elven steeds they'd just be another poncy elf on a poncy horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, what, the stags own.

• Locked thread