Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cat Mattress posted:

Stormcloaks are led by a charismatic blowhard

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So I'm about to start a playthrough with SSE for the first time.

Thanks for someone's suggestion to use SkyUI 2.2 which lacks the SKSE dependency.

Also I'm going to use both Morrowloot SE and Summermyst which seem to have a leveled list incompatibility. SSEEdit examination reveals it's pretty much just leveled lists for mage robes. Morrowloot deletes all of the higher level entries in it, so I made a patch by copying the list from Summermyst and deleting the higher level entries. There are also some orc weapon related things in Summermyst but I do not understand how Morrowloot changed those exactly so I'm not touching those.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Inverness posted:

So I'm about to start a playthrough with SSE for the first time.

Thanks for someone's suggestion to use SkyUI 2.2 which lacks the SKSE dependency.

Also I'm going to use both Morrowloot SE and Summermyst which seem to have a leveled list incompatibility. SSEEdit examination reveals it's pretty much just leveled lists for mage robes. Morrowloot deletes all of the higher level entries in it, so I made a patch by copying the list from Summermyst and deleting the higher level entries. There are also some orc weapon related things in Summermyst but I do not understand how Morrowloot changed those exactly so I'm not touching those.

Morrowloot also changes what weapons and armors vendors sell plus changes how the player can make them. Orcish is the highest 'common' material you are going to find in a post-morrowloot world, finding Ebony and up is hard. I don't see any conflicts with Summermyst specifically.

Hey! How come people don't love the Dwemmer/Dwarven poo poo as much as they should in Skyrim? There is this not-English speaker dude named mahty that's made all sorts of neat probably-not lore-friendly Dwarven things. I took this one and swapped out Nighteye effect on the first head gear. If only we could get the Power Armor system from Fallout 4 into Skyrim :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I know, but alas, the closest thing appears to be The Aetherium Armor and Weapons Compilation. Oh well.

I love the Dwemer masks, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I know, but alas, the closest thing appears to be The Aetherium Armor and Weapons Compilation. Oh well.

I love the Dwemer masks, though.

Which Agents are GO! has thoughtfully converted just for us

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Imperials represent the weakened status quo, and their side is represented in Skyrim by a woman, Elisif the Fair. Stormcloaks are led by a charismatic blowhard with a very inflated opinion of himself who wants to deport immigrants and build a wall along Skyrim's southern borders.

Charismatic is a hell of a long stretch, for both Ulfric and Trump.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno, I think his speech when you first walk into his throne room is quite good. It makes me wish the Stormcloaks had, er, any redeeming features at all. I mean unless you think imperialism is still imperialism after literally 500+ years of peaceful rule as equal citizens.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Magmarashi posted:

Charismatic is a hell of a long stretch, for both Ulfric and Trump.

Probably means in more of the uh, less-informed sort of way. Trump/Ulfric simplify down the 'problems' of whatever there is while ignoring the other huge problems.
"Stand with me so we can worship Talos again"
Yeah until the Thalmor swoop in and destroy them at the drop of a hat. The Empire only survived the Great War because the Emperor made some wicked-smart/lucky gambles that paid off and the best outcome was the White Gold Concordant.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
They shouldn't have outlawed Talos worship if they didn't want a rebellion, you imperial sympathizers!!!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
So I'm pretty deep into my first non-vanilla Skyrim playthrough using SSE. One crash in 80 hours played, with the standard group of visual improvement mods installed (SMIM, Flora Overhaul, Realistic Water Two, Total Character Makeover, Vivid Weathers). Only occasional framerate drops in areas with too much flora outside.

I went One-handed / Light Armor / Destruction / Alteration, with Ordinator & Apocalypse. The Alteration and Enchanting skill trees in Ordinator have a lot of great perks for weapon combat (Spellstrike owns), but a few of the Apocalypse spells (Rift Bolt, Ocato's Recital, Spell Twine) feel a little cheap. Spell Twine in particular can make it really hard to die when you're binding a 50 pt healing spell to whatever you're casting in your off hand.

I guess I just need to ramp up the combat difficulty or install one of the 'realistic' combat mods. Still, combat is a hell of a lot more fun this go-around than it was in vanilla.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Anyone have any reviews of the Ordinator perks mod? It does seem a bit overwhelming.

I was considering using the Better Vanilla Perks mod instead.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I can't give you a review other than to say it owns. It's the best option for SE.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

I can't give you a review other than to say it owns. It's the best option for SE.

It makes destruction magic viable and fun

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

...certainly the SA approved option.
You can also check out TTRSO if Ordinator doesn't seem like your cup of tea.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So I'm pretty deep into my first non-vanilla Skyrim playthrough using SSE. One crash in 80 hours played, with the standard group of visual improvement mods installed (SMIM, Flora Overhaul, Realistic Water Two, Total Character Makeover, Vivid Weathers). Only occasional framerate drops in areas with too much flora outside.

I went One-handed / Light Armor / Destruction / Alteration, with Ordinator & Apocalypse. The Alteration and Enchanting skill trees in Ordinator have a lot of great perks for weapon combat (Spellstrike owns), but a few of the Apocalypse spells (Rift Bolt, Ocato's Recital, Spell Twine) feel a little cheap. Spell Twine in particular can make it really hard to die when you're binding a 50 pt healing spell to whatever you're casting in your off hand.

I guess I just need to ramp up the combat difficulty or install one of the 'realistic' combat mods. Still, combat is a hell of a lot more fun this go-around than it was in vanilla.

Wildcat is good.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is morrowloot ultimate good for sse ? I've never playedw ith morrowloot at all and I have bunches of extra armors so idk how it would play anyway?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Wildcat is good.

On that note, I've tried Smilodon which is supposedly the SSE-optimised successor to Wildcat, but that one turned out to be kind of annoying. The new combat AI boils down to enemies always holding block forever and instantly interrupting any power attacks you try. The rest of it seems decent, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not using Wildcat (or any of the other direct combat-altering mods) but I can attest that, between some unholy combination of ASIS, Revenge of the Enemies, High Level Enemies, Immersive Creatures and the various 'extra stuff' mods by EnaiSaion (which, thanks to ASIS, the enemies are getting too, I think), Skyrim still feels like a dangerous place to my level 40+ character. A little too dangerous in some ways; bandits and such will totally one-shot me if I'm not careful, but since I'm playing a stealth/illusion focused character that's pretty much exactly the experience I was after. (Skyrim: The Dark Project, basically). Frenzying an army of bandits to death and sneak-attacking the leftovers is sooooo much fun. (And even more so with that perk that makes undead and such vulnerable to mind-affecting spells.)

It does lead to some odd incongruities, though; it's kind of hilarious when (as happened to me the other day) I'm having a nice relaxing fight against two elder dragons at once only for it to all go pear-shaped because a giant cave bear showed up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Perestroika posted:

On that note, I've tried Smilodon which is supposedly the SSE-optimised successor to Wildcat, but that one turned out to be kind of annoying. The new combat AI boils down to enemies always holding block forever and instantly interrupting any power attacks you try. The rest of it seems decent, though.

Ordinary one-hand/shield users can be dealt with thanks to the timed block mechanic: just bait them into taking a fast swing by stepping close and hitting block right before you're in range. Works nearly every time, and even shield bashes are affected by timed blocks. You definitely need to be able to take a hit or two though, because otherwise even a parried attack hurts like hell. The problem is power attacks, though Quick Reflexes is the best perk in the game for a very good reason so go ahead and get it anyway. Nothing like baiting some idiot into a power attack, then moving past the swing and power-stabbing them in the rear end in slo-mo.

It's pretty hosed up though that even with my collection of mods, the most dangerous enemies are boss-level humanoids using a dagger/shield combination. Hell, I've noticed boss bandits deliberately not using their enchanted one-handers because the dagger alone hits like a warhammer.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Inverness posted:

Anyone have any reviews of the Ordinator perks mod? It does seem a bit overwhelming.

I was considering using the Better Vanilla Perks mod instead.

To build on what I said earlier, Ordinator builds in a ton of flexibility. Each tree has multiple themed branches that allow you to specialize in different playstyles even within the same skill.

Light armor is a good example. The standard Skyrim tree is super simple: multiple perks to incrementally increase armor rating and mobility. In Ordinator, there are two main branches of perks: one is entirely based around unarmed combat. The other has a series of intertwined perks that give bonuses to mobility and evasiveness (including a cool reactive dodge ability in Evasive Leap) along with perks that increase your armor and stamina regen in response to taking hits that makes face to face combat in light armor more viable.

The are also a series of perks centered around Wardancer, which gives you a damage bonus for avoiding unblocked hits for 10+ seconds in combat.

It's complicated, I realize, but it's all laid out on the mod page. I'd recommend reading through the perks for whatever skills are relevant to your playthrough. If inspiration hits for a cool build, I'd give it a try. I think it makes combat a lot more fun. Also be sure to check out the perks for lockpick and smithing for a wild 'Machinist' build straight out of Arcanum.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I played the first Helgen encounter yesterday on my new game. It made me realize I had forgotten to install a combat mod. I do not like damage sponge enemies, though I can understand how that can make up for poor AI in many cases.

I installed Smilodon and replayed the same encounter and realized I was getting only a fraction of the experience due to how enemies were going down faster. That irritated me too so I went and made a patch to boost the experience multiplier for all skills that gain experience based on damage dealt/received/healed and it seems to be working for me so far.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what's the best mod to slow down experience gains for SSE? Normally I'd use a custom uncapper ini but that doesn't work yet. I like mid-early game skyrim a lot and if I do a single guild to the end I'm usually a superpowered god

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Apparently I got the remastered Skyrim for free on steam. Last time I played Skyrim was years ago, and I vaguely recall that there was an easy way to load mods from the steam client, but I'm not seeing that for the remastered version.

Please help because I am a literal 5 year old irl.

I don't go too crazy, just quality of life mods, perk reworks, and stuff that makes combat less terrible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Industrial Meat Package posted:

Apparently I got the remastered Skyrim for free on steam. Last time I played Skyrim was years ago, and I vaguely recall that there was an easy way to load mods from the steam client, but I'm not seeing that for the remastered version.

I don't go too crazy, just quality of life mods, perk reworks, and stuff that makes combat less terrible.

Steam mods are dead for SSE, you now go through bethesda.net and it's even worse than Steam Workshop!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

KakerMix posted:

Steam mods are dead for SSE, you now go through bethesda.net and it's even worse than Steam Workshop!

Huzzah! Everybody wins!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Industrial Meat Package posted:

I'm useless at doing mods, but the Nexus Mod Manger was easy enough for me.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

NMM and LOOT are what I'm using at the moment.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Inverness posted:

NMM and LOOT are what I'm using at the moment.

Same here, haven't had any weird issues.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KakerMix posted:

Bethnet does work, though i can't disagree with this assessment of its quality. It's a good curating tool in that if you grab the top fifteen mods you should have a good selection.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what's the best mod to slow down experience gains for SSE? Normally I'd use a custom uncapper ini but that doesn't work yet. I like mid-early game skyrim a lot and if I do a single guild to the end I'm usually a superpowered god

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1251/

There is a 1/2 exp variant. It works well enough.

Just note that it will multiply all XP gains as far as I know, so even skill books are likely to be worth only 1/2. Skill trainers seem to work OK. Would recommend using the remove perk console command after about level 40, if you're still playing the same character.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I have decided to try and finish Skyrim for the first time, despite owning it across several platforms. I own the SSE version, so I thought I might try modding for the first time.

HOO BOY.

I've modded on the Dragon Age series, The Sims 4, and save file edits on Mass Effect on the 360, but this seems super complicated? I'm following https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/beginners_guide_sse so far, but judging from some of the comments in this thread, it looks like most Goons don't use Wyre? I haven't actually installed any mods yet, I just downloaded about 40 cool ones from the top downloads on the Nexus.

Any suggestions as to what kind of mods I should start with? i.e., texture replacements first, then face and hair etc.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I recommend using a mod manager, either Wrye bash, that updated mo, or NMM. The OP gives a pretty good rundown of modding that still mostly applies to SSE. At the bare minimum, I recommend all of EnaiSiaions SSE mods (the apocalypse spells guy), all of Arthmoor's mods (the unofficial patch dillweed) and all of TrainWizs SSE mods (The Wheels of Lull guy.)

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

vivisecting posted:

I have decided to try and finish Skyrim for the first time, despite owning it across several platforms. I own the SSE version, so I thought I might try modding for the first time.

HOO BOY.

I've modded on the Dragon Age series, The Sims 4, and save file edits on Mass Effect on the 360, but this seems super complicated? I'm following https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/beginners_guide_sse so far, but judging from some of the comments in this thread, it looks like most Goons don't use Wyre? I haven't actually installed any mods yet, I just downloaded about 40 cool ones from the top downloads on the Nexus.

Any suggestions as to what kind of mods I should start with? i.e., texture replacements first, then face and hair etc.

Oooookay I downloaded a bunch of mods and I think everything is working, but can someone look at my load order and tell me if I'm doing some stupid poo poo before I drop 40 hours into a playthrough that will end up breaking? http://pastebin.com/BmhdT5qM

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Did you run it through LOOT for that load order? Did it throw any warnings? Seems ok to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

vivisecting posted:

Oooookay I downloaded a bunch of mods and I think everything is working, but can someone look at my load order and tell me if I'm doing some stupid poo poo before I drop 40 hours into a playthrough that will end up breaking? http://pastebin.com/BmhdT5qM

Doesn't look like you've run this through LOOT, you def. want to do that.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Did you run it through LOOT for that load order?

Do this.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

If by run through LOOT, you mean click "sort plugins" then "apply," then I did that every other mod I installed, but it didn't change the load order, I had to change it manually in NMM.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

vivisecting posted:

If by run through LOOT, you mean click "sort plugins" then "apply," then I did that every other mod I installed, but it didn't change the load order, I had to change it manually in NMM.

Make sure NMM is closed/exited before you "sort plugins" on LOOT. After you click apply, then start up NMM and it should have the load order corrected.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vivisecting posted:

Also make a merged patch in tesvedit.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Can somebody explain how to mod out the horrible alteration armor effects in Cutting Room Floor?

I've been trying to gently caress around in tesedit but i get this error:

Background Loader: Fatal: <Exception: "Cutting Room Floor.esp" requires master "Skyrim.esm" to be loaded before it.>

i have tried loading the skyrim.esm as well as the mods .esp

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ok so it turns out the mod i used to remove the lovely effects from cutting room floor actually didn't work because some other mod is using the same effect now

ffs lol