Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Also so far my favorite character is the horse guy who is trying to rock the business hoodie and gauntlets look.

Horseman is easily the best character we've seen so far. Hes one of the least visually offensive of these horrors we've come across and he hasn't had enough dialogue to make us hate him yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I want to say that Bojack Horseman is the most pointless character in the game, but he's not. The only other character he interacts with is Velasquez, and he never actually voices an opinion. He exists solely for Velasquez to jabber nonsense at him.

there is a character in this game more pointless than this

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

I want to say that Bojack Horseman is the most pointless character in the game, but he's not. The only other character he interacts with is Velasquez, and he never actually voices an opinion. He exists solely for Velasquez to jabber nonsense at him.

there is a character in this game more pointless than this

Well, we already met Kila. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Traced from animal movie" is fursona 101.
The next step is palette swaps then full on sparklebeasts

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Horseman has a design that wouldn't look super out of place in a normal low fantasy setting.

Then there's Dazz, who I actually stopped and stared at for a second in disbelief.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's pretty hilarious that Klace's own brother had to find out he's dead via eavesdropping band members in a limo.

A limo he apparently lives in and never leaves.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Is Dazz the genderswapped male design? The outfit would make more sense then just kidding nothing in this game makes sense

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Seyser Koze posted:

Is Dazz the genderswapped male design? The outfit would make more sense then just kidding nothing in this game makes sense

Yep. I poked around to see what the original Dazz looked like, and frankly it's pretty much the same except no giant pair of hooters

e: modding this game is more amusing than it has any right to be

inthesto fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 21, 2016

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Blarghalt posted:

Part of me wishes I could have come here on my own. Instead -- I'm being dragged around by these two.
I'm not sure if coming to this planet alone is a great idea. There is a non-zero chance that the gangs around here engage in cannibalism.

I mean I only have Zootopia to go on so to speak, but wouldn't a starving animal society do this as the norm? Would it be cannibalism unless they were the same species? I imagine it would be a faux pas but in the case of desperation but then again, I'm fairly certain I'm describing someone's unspeakable fetish so gently caress thinking about this silliness.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nobody in furry stories ever thinks about food chains.

Too much of a buzzkill.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(Though there is that one Bojack episode)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well they eat

Well
https://youtu.be/5ZtSjN65nnQ

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Instead of Bojack Horseman, Dusk's design makes me think of this:

"Parts of a deity make the world" is a fairly common thing in creation myths, actually. We're a jotun's armpit sweat to the Norse. The Hindu caste system is based off of which part of the body people are made from.

Blarghalt posted:

I've never played Persona 4; where does the myth get dropped in the game?

Like they said, the protagonist's Persona is Izanagi. P4 focuses on Izanagi's visit to the underworld instead of the creation of the world itself, though. I doubt the part where Izanami dies by giving birth to a fire god is going to come up in M\M unless Dazz gets cremated alive.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

A humble guitarist? Now I know this is science fiction. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because guitarists swear fealty to singers in real life, that is a thing that happens.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Why are we supposed to give a crap about these characters we've never met, exactly?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The poster early in the thread drew lines showing the variety of viewpoints on the character art, and how twisted and out-of-perspective they are. Take a look at Bojack's nose there, and try to figure out how curved it has to be to see both nostrils , but only one eye.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

It's everything I could have hoped for.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

GeneX posted:

Why are we supposed to give a crap about these characters we've never met, exactly?

In a normal story, this is the point by which the audience is supposed to understand the stakes. That is, either 1) we know the protagonist well enough to be invested in what happens to them, or 2) an external conflict is revealed and we're invested in what happens with that. Or both! Both is fine! Neither is not so good.

So in Major Backslash Minor, what are we supposed to care about?

Is it the fate of the protagonist? Well, Rabies is a complete cipher. We don't know his background from before the game started, he doesn't have any particular wants or needs, he has no connection to any of the other characters (if he has friends/relatives they're all back in Furry America), and such characterization as we can glean from his narration boils down to "is confused". We might fear for his personal safety, or accept him as an Arthur Dent everyman -- except the very first thing in the game is a reveal that Rabies is Supa-Special (and, I think, can't die?). So no tension or identification there.

Moreover, to the extent the story is about Rabies and his experiences, none of these Earth scenes about Klace matter at all. Rabies is not on Earth anymore.

So are the stakes found in a conflict in the setting? There's a better case for that, because there's clearly some conflict happening on Terra. (Not so much Earth -- there were the deaths, but we know what's causing them now.) There's a king and he's got a plan of some sort, and there's a noble who wants to be mayor, and these two people are at odds in some fashion. But we don't know what this means. Are King Furry and Furry Trump good or bad people? Good or bad rulers? What are the consequences to Terra if Furry Trump usurps the king, or if he fails to do so? There doesn't need to be a clear-cut good guy and bad guy, but we do need to know enough about the stakes to be able to have an opinion on it. And, again, if the plot is about political intrigue on Terra, then there's no purpose to the Earth scenes we continue to be subjected to.

In short, this is the part of the story where we need to be knowing and feeling some concrete things. You can't propel a narrative on ambiguity -- it makes for a great setup, but fairly quickly you need something real to happen that drives events and audience interest.

In the case of this Rocker and Dazz scene, for instance, we learn (eventually) that some sort of ritual ... thing is planned for the end of the tour. And that's kind of interesting! Even if only because it's so weird and unusual, it's kind of interesting and it has the feel and shape of a plot element. The only problem is we have no idea what it's supposed to mean, or how this ritual is going to change things, or impact whatever we imagine is the story at this point. Basically, if you're going to introduce a scene like this, the audience should know enough about what's going on to be able to say "Ah, but if they do that then that means ... and then this will happen ... and then ..." and that's what drama is and we're just not getting it. If this scene deserves to exist at all, it needs to be moved to later in the story when the audience knows enough to understand why it's significant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mechanical Ape posted:

So are the stakes found in a conflict in the setting? There's a better case for that, because there's clearly some conflict happening on Terra. (Not so much Earth -- there were the deaths, but we know what's causing them now.) There's a king and he's got a plan of some sort, and there's a noble who wants to be mayor, and these two people are at odds in some fashion. But we don't know what this means. Are King Furry and Furry Trump good or bad people? Good or bad rulers? What are the consequences to Terra if Furry Trump usurps the king, or if he fails to do so? There doesn't need to be a clear-cut good guy and bad guy, but we do need to know enough about the stakes to be able to have an opinion on it. And, again, if the plot is about political intrigue on Terra, then there's no purpose to the Earth scenes we continue to be subjected to.

A really common way to handle all this is to show only one side of the disagreement in the setting where we've plopped our protagonist down, so you come to sympathize with the people he's fallen in with; but then events transpire such that you get the other side of the story from the opposing faction or whatever, and then you see how maybe that side is actually more logical and maybe he isn't a tyrant after all and the other guys have it all wrong or whatever. And then for super extra points you find out that the opposing faction actually was hiding some horrible secret and you were with the good guys from the beginning after all! Or whatever. Either way it keeps you guessing, keeps you on your toes, and makes your brain work at a level of involvement that ensures you're invested in the story.

This is such a common pattern that like 30% of Star Trek episodes follow it to the letter.

It's not difficult, is what I'm saying. Klace is ripping off story ideas from video games, but without actually studying how these stories are being constructed. The result is a bunch of haphazard greatest-hits elements that he apparently expects are what make a story, when really the story is just what hangs off an underlying skeleton you barely see and only can come to recognize if you're paying attention.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mechanical Ape posted:

In the case of this Rocker and Dazz scene, for instance, we learn (eventually) that some sort of ritual ... thing is planned for the end of the tour. And that's kind of interesting! Even if only because it's so weird and unusual, it's kind of interesting and it has the feel and shape of a plot element.
I'll take a wild stab in the dark and guess this is going to be used to resolve whatever ripped-off crisis waits at the end, quite possibly working as a reverse ritual to bring all of ineptly teleported victims back just in time for Klace to Save Everyone With Power Of J-Pop.
...gently caress. Did the guy play FFX-2?

e: With regards to the above, well, we already he knows gently caress all about mythology and what that's about so story structure is probably waaay out of his level.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 21, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

...gently caress. Did the guy play FFX-2?

You know the answer, deep in your heart.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
according to my copy of The Hero With a Thousand Faces, we should have a Refusal of the Call coming up soon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FractalSandwich posted:

The Hero With a Thousand Faces

which anime is that

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
you might be more familiar with the light novel adaptation, Bokura no Yūsha wa Ichiman-men ga Aru!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Really Pants posted:

which anime is that

All of the ones that aren't romantic comedies and even some of those, too

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Really Pants posted:

which anime is that

I think that's the alternate title of Star Wars.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Instead of Bojack Horseman, Dusk's design makes me think of this:

I would've gone with that demon dude from Dragon Quest V first, but I guess that works too.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

Black Mage Knight posted:

So how is that jacket staying closed like that? I was going to suggest double sided tape but, you know, furry.

Velcro

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

according to my copy of The Hero With a Thousand Faces, we should have a Refusal of the Call coming up soon
Campbell was not prepared for this degree of laziness.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
We already refused the call by saying we weren't interested in maid cafes.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The hero's journey usually isn't a drunken loop the loop with time out for an incoherent ramble about quantum mechanics.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Seyser Koze posted:

We already refused the call by saying we weren't interested in maid cafes.

Reminder that by saying we weren't interested in Maid Cafes we apparently are locked out of the true ending, assuming OP wasn't joking.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Akratic Method posted:

I'm not googling in-depth, but it does come with the hilarious listed feature "Almost EVERY NPC LIES to you at some point in the game!"

Wow! I fuckin love being lied to, better pony up that $15.

Edit: a Steam review is titled "The 'Birdemic' of visual novel games." :parrot:

There's actually a reason for that: There was a backlash against the author when certain things characters said turned out not to be true, with several people going "THE GAME LIED TO ME" and the author responding "uh no those people lied to you"

So now it's right out there: Characters lie!

I honestly find Fading Hearts pretty interesting. The prose isn't good, and the mechanics certainly aren't, but the... structure of the plot, if that makes sense? I think with some polishing and expanding, it COULD have been good. I'm imagining the fierce calculations of Long Live The Queen. If you're going to make a stats-raising game, go all the way with it, y'know?

Regarding the game the thread is actually about : Are these graphics mods going to made available for those who have the game, after the LP is done?

I don't have it, of course. But y'know. Maybe someone does.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Reminder that by saying we weren't interested in Maid Cafes we apparently are locked out of the true ending, assuming OP wasn't joking.
No, no. Pretty sure the OP said it's the other way around; saying yes to the maid cafe locks you out of the true ending.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Either one is as dumb as the other, so

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Maid cafes are places of great power and it makes sense that they'd be involved in the bifurcation points for timelines that end in the death of all worlds (or whatever bullshit this game will come up with).

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
I was so waiting for this game to get torn apart here. Such a thing of lazily written schlock, you'd think Klace was more concerned with wordcount and writing his rear end off about pretentious things without realizing to give the main character a voice, other characters that aren't just flat stereotypes, or really anything other than to shoehorn in a bunch of random fursonas and a plot that tries to string together a bunch of loose concepts from the author's favorite video games and media into this absolute blob. And have the outright contempt to fight pretty much anyone would try and put this out by himself. If anything, it makes me happier that I'm putting my own sweet time in my game.

You guys are barely at the start, I've seen this all the way through. As the person who is apparently this game's Jim Sterling, the stuff going on around the game was the icing for what was actually happening in the game. And now it's gotten an Android port, with no name choice or music at all. So you can furry trash while on the road, on an even more ludicrously pared-back visual novel.

Gotta say, never thought I'd be going straight from a Baldur's Gate LP thread to this.

EDIT: Also, the entire existence of the personality questionnaire and its placement in chapter 2 is the creator's reaction to the complaint that there is a lack of real expression for the main character in chapter 1. Rather than dig down and actually address the core issues, the guy just shoehorned a personality quiz in a nonsensical place in hope of shutting those up. Only to pretty much use only the gender from that quiz. That's game design from someone who completely lacks passion for the field.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 23, 2016

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Geomancing posted:

The poster early in the thread drew lines showing the variety of viewpoints on the character art, and how twisted and out-of-perspective they are. Take a look at Bojack's nose there, and try to figure out how curved it has to be to see both nostrils , but only one eye.

I had to quit doing those. Amateur gently caress-ups like that get me irrationally angry, and I spent more and more time berating and yelling at my monitor. This game isn't worth that kind of effort; it deserves a disappointed sigh and a dejected shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Every single character speaks with the same literary voice and it's driving me NUTS.

• Locked thread