Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a modifier to marriage acceptance "prefers a matrilineal marriage" that already exists in the game when trying to arrange a standard marriage with a female ruler or heir - you could probably edit that to always trigger for your custom culture group, even for unimportant women. It's not an absolute "this marriage will not happen" modifier like cross-religion marriages, but it means that the AI will have to like you more than usual or strongly benefit in some other way to accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
My Christen neighbor had a holy war declared on him by a Muslim ruler and I joined his war as an ally and I now see that he is actually being attacked by two different Muslim rulers but I can't figure out how to join the other war and now he is being destroyed by the other Muslim attacker I can't join in against.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's a survey about DLC if you want to give your opinion

Some answer choices are limiting. 5/10 survey.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The DLCs from Charlemagne on have all been really good, huh?

And I really wish there was a way to say "there's nothing really wrong with this feature, actually it's great, but I feel like it's got masses more potential still to unlock".

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Not a great survey but it did make me realize that despite owning all of the DLC I haven't actually touched a lot of it. And there's no option for "I have no opinion on this or haven't used it".

I know some devs read this so to add to my responses the biggest complaint about the DLC for me was that the Rajas map expansion was mandatory and came with a significant performance hit for me. Ironman is unplayable after ~300 years due to minute long save times every 6 months (which is super frequent at speed 4-5).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah i marked map expansion as "undesired," and i wish i could have marked the performance optimization that followed later on with positive feedback, too

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I only wish I could badmouth Chuck further after admitting I didn't own it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I hope my feedback helps guide development in a positive direction :)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Give me like five more radio buttons to the left for Map Expansion and twenty or so to the right for New Events.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frogfingers posted:

I think he was just really, really sick and was talking about The Last King of Scotland.

This is all actually an episode of Black Mirror.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

Ironman is unplayable after ~300 years due to minute long save times every 6 months (which is super frequent at speed 4-5).

The speed increase in the most recent patch has made the game run so well that I only ever do Ironman now. If you're still on 2.0 or whatever the pre-RoI patch was, you should give 2.6 a try.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
ROFL at the ban and kick subtext for CK2 multiplayer :D

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

IAmThatIs posted:

ROFL at the ban and kick subtext for CK2 multiplayer :D

you wanna share with the class? i've never touched multiplayer and i suspect that's true of many of us

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Apparently the only way to see it is to have someone join a game you hosted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's something to do with how "we here at paradox interactive know not everyone on the internet is grown up enough to be on it" and sassy poo poo like that

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm starting to get a WEIRD glitch where a certain group of troops will refuse to move. I'll right-click and they won't go anywhere. Splitting troops off until I get it down to the smallest group that's stuck works just fine, everyone else can move. But the only way to get those guys to move is to disband them and raise them again.

Kind of sucks when it's in enemy territory during a "win this or game over" war or when it's during multiplayer...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man going down the line and thinking about every expansion on its own is just making me realize i've dipped my toes into basically everything but republics(and india but yawn to that), i should fix that maybe

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm starting to get a WEIRD glitch where a certain group of troops will refuse to move. I'll right-click and they won't go anywhere. Splitting troops off until I get it down to the smallest group that's stuck works just fine, everyone else can move. But the only way to get those guys to move is to disband them and raise them again.

Kind of sucks when it's in enemy territory during a "win this or game over" war or when it's during multiplayer...

I had a similar problem, but they got stuck to an allied stack and followed them around. I couldn't do anything but disband them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Same here, I have to save and reload to be able to move.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due and the upcoming Monk DLC are just so much better than what came before. More events and depth for everyone, less gimmick gameplay for gimmick religions/cultures!

I'd rather choose removing everything east of Persia than expand the map more. Off-map interaction with distant cultures via events is fine.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due and the upcoming Monk DLC are just so much better than what came before. More events and depth for everyone, less gimmick gameplay for gimmick religions/cultures!

I'd rather choose removing everything east of Persia than expand the map more. Off-map interaction with distant cultures via events is fine.

I think I played Raja's once and then never bothered touching it again. Same with Sunset Invasion, which I think I got in a bundle at some point. Did anyone even ask for Sunset Invasion, or did Paradox just think it was a good idea for no real reason?

I think that any DLC that adds more roadblocks to you being able to just romp all over the map at will without little hinderance and adds more events and things to do in between wars is great, certainly I feel that Way of Life, Conclave and Reapers Due have all helped in that regard massively, previously it was extremely easy to retain a large empire indefinitely, just be divvying up your territory correctly and placing it under the rule of vassals who loved you. You only had to keep a few people happy and remove any of their successors who were "unsuitable" for the position.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 22, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tindahbawx posted:

Did anyone even ask for Sunset Invasion, or did Paradox just think it was a good idea for no real reason?

It was specifically designed to make the west of the map as potentially unstable as the east by adding an equivalent to the Mongols. Whether or not anyone asked for that, it still wasn't "just because".

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Nobody really asked for it, but the tears of the pubbies were so legendary (and I like crazy ideas like that, shake up the world) that it was very much worth it to me.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nobody really asked for it, but the tears of the pubbies were so legendary (and I like crazy ideas like that, shake up the world) that it was very much worth it to me.

Also at the time there was a bunch of super weird racist poo poo going on about people excited about conquering the natives so im kinda okay with the gently caress you that came out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you were around at the time, the devs badically siad that they came up and programmed most of Sunset Invasion in their free time/work breaks/as a side project.

India is a lot of fun to play in when you just want a break from the Muslim clown car, Horde clown car and rading vikings clown car. The Dharmic religions also have a ton of flavourful events, and you can enjoy playing around with the Silk Route without the aforementioned clown cars. It's also a nice change of playstyle to conquer all of India without OP religious CBs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

Did anyone even ask for Sunset Invasion, or did Paradox just think it was a good idea for no real reason?

It's a gameplay thing, if you actually play CK2 long enough for the Mongols to show up(which no one does anymore because you start in like loving 769 now holy poo poo) they completely skullfuck everyone on the Eastern side of the map, which makes playing over there interesting because your big fatty empire actually might have to deal with a threat. Meanwhile anyone on the Western edge gets to sit around jerking off about Jesus until 1450 basically unmolested.

Sunset is basically just "hey the later stages of the game are boring if you play in the West, what if we sent someone to knock over everyone's sandcastles"

It basically accomplished its goal but it annoyed a bunch of people because that was the first thing that CK2 did that didn't really pretend to be at all historical. I mean now we have loving Satan giving people their testes back and immortal god horses and poo poo so that ship has basically sailed, not to mention the fact that maintaining a big empire is a lot harder now that you can't have a standing army of 100,000 fanatically loyal shock troopers who cost no upkeep sitting around to kick rebels in the dick and you can't replace all the nobles with bishops and your council gets to actually vote on things.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

kingcom posted:

Also at the time there was a bunch of super weird racist poo poo going on about people excited about conquering the natives so im kinda okay with the gently caress you that came out.

...at the time?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

I mean now we have loving Satan giving people their testes back and immortal god horses
Hm, I think I need to go back to CK2 some more.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

cock hero flux posted:

It basically accomplished its goal but it annoyed a bunch of people because that was the first thing that CK2 did that didn't really pretend to be at all historical. I mean now we have loving Satan giving people their testes back and immortal god horses and poo poo so that ship has basically sailed, not to mention the fact that maintaining a big empire is a lot harder now that you can't have a standing army of 100,000 fanatically loyal shock troopers who cost no upkeep sitting around to kick rebels in the dick and you can't replace all the nobles with bishops and your council gets to actually vote on things.

People still got really mad when I told them Satanists could use dark magic in Mystics :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I had this the other day when I accidentally retreated while the other side was retreating. Won the battle but my army did the forced retreat and wouldn't take new orders like it got flagged as retreating but never cleared the flag because it shouldn't have been.

But as mentioned save and reload seems to clear it. Less convenient in multiplayer.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

People still got really mad when I told them Satanists could use dark magic in Mystics :shrug:

I'll be honest, the silly stuff does get a bit exhausting at times. How comprehensive is the fantasy events toggle?

"You were a historical strategy game once! Historical!"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Reminder that Darkrenown's text is a direct quote from one Paradox Forum poster's reaction to Sunset Invasion. That meltdown was really beautiful to watch.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'd rate that rant as a top-5 all-time.

I love the black magic poo poo though, I think it adds to the atmosphere.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Yeah, Sunset invasion is the best DLC they've made so far. When it came out I was really wishing they'd do something later on like an Amazon invasion from Africa or Atlantean who could strike any coastline but would usually focus around Italy. But sadly this was not to be.

Edit: Or the bear invasion from the north.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Skeletons.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sunset Invasion is the best idea hampered by the sort of design corner the game has worked itself in where the AI can't be counted on doing anything interesting without an unbeatable 100-200k blob of event troops.

Magic is weird but awesome because we've been simulating peasant misery for just about 5 years now and even the Witcher peasants get a bit of magic to lighten up their painful inevitable death.

I might be getting controversial here but I like it most when its played straight and least when reinforcing in jokes. Like not every horse counselor needs to default to Glitterhoof. I'd settle for culturally adapted translations of Glitterhoof.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

zedprime posted:

I might be getting controversial here but I like it most when its played straight and least when reinforcing in jokes.

:same:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cock hero flux posted:

Speak for your own council, amateur. Mine hasn't been empowered in over 300 years.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Skeletons.

I wish I got this long running joke. :smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jedit posted:

Speak for your own council, amateur. Mine hasn't been empowered in over 300 years.
Empowered council is the best way to glue large realms together without rushing viceroys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

• Locked thread