Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EightFlyingCars posted:

I'm trying to build a Doubles team that leads with a Prankster Whimsicott using Tailwind and a pretty standard Alolan Marowak who opens with Protect. But I'm drawing a blank as to what to fill the rest of the team out with. I'm considering a Starmie for Water and Ice attacks and Rapid Spin support, but maybe I could do better? What else could I try?

Is this for VGC or just general doubles? Lots of stuff is banned in VGC that is still allowed in normal doubles.

Regardless, an easy way to to figure out more stuff to add to your team is to cover the weaknesses of your core pokemon. Right off the bat you've got the 4x poison weakness on Whimsicott, so you'll want pokemon that are resistant to it for switch ins. Metagross is a steel type that really benefits from tailwind, so it would naturally be a good choice. However it shares a weakness to ground with Marowak. So if you did run them, you'd definitely want something immune to ground to cover your weaknesses better. Metagross would also have a dark weakness shared by Starmie, but that's not nearly as much of a problem as a shared ground weakness.

Starmie itself I'm not sure what to do with. I don't see anyone really using it but I'm not sure why myself. I wouldn't bother with rapid spin though; entry hazards almost never come up in doubles. Rapid spin would only really help with leech seed from Celesteela but its not worth carrying it just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

I'm trying to build a Doubles team that leads with a Prankster Whimsicott using Tailwind and a pretty standard Alolan Marowak who opens with Protect. But I'm drawing a blank as to what to fill the rest of the team out with. I'm considering a Starmie for Water and Ice attacks and Rapid Spin support, but maybe I could do better? What else could I try?

doubles I don't think you need rapid spin since you're very unlikely to find any hazards (there just not enough switch outs). You could try weather pokemon- a rainteam with gastrodon with water drain and muddy water, marowak, whimsicott, then maybe togedamaru? Marowak and Whimsicott can fit pretty much anywhere. Trick room could work? or you can do what everyone else does and run a Tapu and a UB

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Note Block, are you around to trade?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I can't believe my Muk didn't KO that scarfed Tapu Lele with poison jab. What's even the chances on that?"

quote:

252+ Atk Muk Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 164-194 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

"Wait what? That can't be right. Did I take that much out of my muk's attack IV or-"

:stare: :stare: :stare:

:suicide:

I have no idea how long its been like this. It can't have been that long since I've still been winning games with it, but the last time I remember messing with its stats was like a week ago.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
You know, I figured breeding a level 1 female Litten and setting it up to trade for a level 1 any gender Rowlet would be a fair trade. GTS seems to disagree. I guess I need to ask for a Mew like everybody else.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Theta Zero posted:

You know, I figured breeding a level 1 female Litten and setting it up to trade for a level 1 any gender Rowlet would be a fair trade. GTS seems to disagree. I guess I need to ask for a Mew like everybody else.

It'll trade. Take it off and re-deposit it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's also way easier to do trade and item evolutions with other goons, because you can publicly shame them if they steal your cool strong evolved friend :colbert:

(I have literally never heard of anyone getting their Alakazam or whatever stolen like that but the mental image was funny to me so I had to say it)

Hey were you the guy who stole my Alakazam?! :argh:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dienes posted:

It'll trade. Take it off and re-deposit it.

I swapped to searching for a Popplio and I immediately got it.

I can give you a male one if you just want a Litten in general.

I'm 0387 - 8790 - 2453

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Theta Zero posted:

I swapped to searching for a Popplio and I immediately got it.

I can give you a male one if you just want a Litten in general.

I'm 0387 - 8790 - 2453

Oh, I'm good - I snagged all the starters. Thanks, though!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I was very anti-alolan muk, until I realized that Bangarang would be a really great name for one. Now I want one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Theta Zero posted:

For some reason no one seems to go for starter for starter trades on GTS. Or at least none of the ones I tried. I ultimately ended up getting the other two starters off of wondertrade at random when I was just screwing around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ignite Memories posted:

I was very anti-alolan muk, until I realized that Bangarang would be a really great name for one. Now I want one.

Alolan Muk is really cool and strong. He's also like the only knock off user in Alola which is important because holy gently caress Porygon 2

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-502938801

Also features me killing my own pokemon in an attempt to stop Celesteela from getting a beast boost :regd09:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2016

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Drawing pokemon terribly makes a terrible day better :3:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Where are these incredible walk animations coming from? Data mining?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Alolan Muk is really cool and strong. He's also like the only knock off user in Alola which is important because holy gently caress Porygon 2

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-502938801

Also features me killing my own pokemon in an attempt to stop Celesteela from getting a beast boost :regd09:

The official Pokemon website said that in the regionals, people were Leech Seeding their own Pokemon so the opponent's Celesteela couldn't Leech Seed them.

I don't understand this meta.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yup. Most likely we're gonna see walking pokemon return in the Switch version/sequel to SM.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pakled posted:

Yup. Most likely we're gonna see walking pokemon return in the Switch version/sequel to SM.

I can't wait to walk around with my babies

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sorry guys but I'm clearly the best artist of you all.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

here's the first 151: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Sq4bP3-P0

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Data mining Sun/Moon, finding unused walk animations for a cut following feature.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

What third pokemon do people usually use on their battle tree teams after dragonite/aegislash? Setting up a team and it's been a while since I've used a non-gimmick team. (last time was in BW2 using truant durant back when it was busted)

Also is there a particular Hidden Power I need on Aegis or what other move do I run alongside Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball/Kings Shield?

Yukari fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 22, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just PP stalled a Rayquaza to death with an Eerie Impulse / Charm / Super Fang / Recycle Dedenne

I feel like the king of assholes

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I haven't finished a Pokémon game since Red and I enjoy Sun quite well. I decided to do something what my 8-year-old self didn't do and try to complete the Dex. I still have no friends who played Pokémon as well, but I looked up basics of trading in Festival Plaza and I can 'request' Pokémon to trade with, so I assume it's feasible (and not soul-suckingly long) to finish the dex without having to find a real life Pokémon playing friend??

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yep. Your best bet is getting something rare or hard to get like castform or marnie, breeding a bunch then putting them up and asking for stuff in return.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Avalerion posted:

Yep. Your best bet is getting something rare or hard to get like castform or marnie, breeding a bunch then putting them up and asking for stuff in return.

I'm sorry, my knowledge of pokémon past Gen 1 is through reading Pokémon Special. I've googled this and all I get is one of Nurse Joy's daughter.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

toanoradian posted:

I'm sorry, my knowledge of pokémon past Gen 1 is through reading Pokémon Special. I've googled this and all I get is one of Nurse Joy's daughter.

he means mareanie

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Sweet, I've got Mareanie already. And I've also got a Ditto, so I can just start making some eggs, yeah? Probably gonna need Castform too, gonna have my podcasts on the ready.

How can I make my offerings 'better'? I imagine no one's gonna trade me the Moon-exclusive UBs or the Legendaries for some normal Castform/Mareanie

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

toanoradian posted:

I imagine no one's gonna trade me the Moon-exclusive UBs or the Legendaries for some normal Castform/Mareanie

Your imagination sucks and is wrong

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

After breeding a Dratini and turning it into Dragonite for Battle Tree I decided to level a couple Dratini I had left by means of Poke Pelago. Took them out of there at level 53, leveled them twice to become Dragonite and then used them on the GTS to trade for Solgaleo, Guzzlord and legendary prism guy whose name I can't think of right now. Those trades all happened within 15 minutes.

So even for those Pokemon that you can't breed there are still plenty of possible trades you can pull off.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 22, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

toanoradian posted:

Sweet, I've got Mareanie already. And I've also got a Ditto, so I can just start making some eggs, yeah? Probably gonna need Castform too, gonna have my podcasts on the ready.

How can I make my offerings 'better'? I imagine no one's gonna trade me the Moon-exclusive UBs or the Legendaries for some normal Castform/Mareanie

Nope! They totally will. Version exclusive trades should go through in like, 5 minutes. Rare Pokemon or evolved forms might take more like 10-20. Legendaries? Let it sit overnight, but chances are you'll get it.

When I was filling out my Alola Dex with Castform trades, they were going through as fast as I checked them. It was nuts.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hey, is there a way to easily test out pokemon battles? I want to check if a perfect IV/EV Scizor could one-shot a mimikyu with bullet punch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

google pokemon damage calc

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mierenneuker posted:

legendary prism guy whose name I can't think of right now.

Necrozma, comes from necro (death) + prisma (prism)

So basically death prism :toot:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tired Moritz posted:

Hey, is there a way to easily test out pokemon battles? I want to check if a perfect IV/EV Scizor could one-shot a mimikyu with bullet punch.

https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 260-308 (103.5 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mimikyu: 198-234 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swords dance:

+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mimikyu: 392-464 (124.8 - 147.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

The Mattybee posted:

Your imagination sucks and is wrong

Silver Falcon posted:

Nope! They totally will.

Oh wow. I imagine the longer I wait the less true this will be, so I'll need to hurry and catch Castform and find out what pokémon I need to trade, including those who evolve only through trade like Haunter or Graveler. finally gonna get gengar

Mierenneuker posted:

After breeding a Dratini and turning it into Dragonite for Battle Tree I decided to level a couple Dratini I had left by means of Poke Pelago.

You can use Poké Pelago to level up pokémon?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 260-308 (103.5 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mimikyu: 198-234 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swords dance:

+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mimikyu: 392-464 (124.8 - 147.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

with choice band it's a 70% chance to ohko. life orb is still 2hko though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

toanoradian posted:

those who evolve only through trade like Haunter or Graveler. finally gonna get gengar

You can trade a Haunter in-game for an Alolan Graveler that will evolve into Alolan Golem!

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/ingametrades.shtml

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

AlphaKretin posted:

Swords dance:

goddamn Scizor, ya poo poo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

goddamn Scizor, ya poo poo.

His saving grace his gen seems to be lovely availability of Bullet Punch (which he can learn), and also the fact he can learn Brutal Swing, but otherwise Scizor took a bit of a fall.

Maybe going mega would help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

well he still looks insanely cool. good on you scizor