Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Yeah my experience with mummy was that you're playing that dangerous early game for a much longer period of time because you're a lovely mummy, but still I got a MuFi win on my belt (with Xomscumming AND Gozag, but eh, I was curious if that would work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

a day ago or so someone on tavern was talking about how losing these makes mummies awful, and said "Now mummies have only two gods viable on 15 rune games; Gozag and Nemelex."

What, did they forget Ru?

Nice win!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its obviously not impossible to win without a wand of heal wounds but pretending it doesn't change much is silly. Also I don't get why people are acting like its impossible to get heal wounds wands when if you prioritized wands with acquirement scrolls you would often get them. Mummies are absolutely a case where I'd use every acquirement scroll on wands ASAP because having a source of heal wounds simply makes the game much safer.

I guess I can't argue with it being a "crutch" but that can apply to a lot of stuff. If everyone was expected to play 100% optimally constantly then you'd never need a source of healing past the early game on any character.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 22, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
True enough, Internet Kraken.

Putting aside some assumptions of my own, any ideas if there are any planned changes related to the the whole wand changes other than consumable spawn rate and changes to those who can't quaff potions? I.E. Any new wands (or rebalancing the power of remaining ones) or gadgets incoming to fill the void? Or are they just getting pulled and balanced around the removal?

Since I'm actually back in the game and not feeling burnt out anymore (1000+ ogres and failed tournaments will do that), I suppose I might get back onto the mailing list or at least read the development plan.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Not to add fuel to the version war, but, 0.12.2 guy chiming in with a 0.19.1 trip report:
code:
1870834 VROOM the Minotaur Barricade (level 27, 257/273 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Dec 18, 2016.
             Was an Elder of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 21, 2016!

The game lasted 04:31:45 (61548 turns).

VROOM the Minotaur Barricade (Minotaur Fighter)     Turns: 61548, Time: 04:31:45

Health: 257/273    AC: 50    Str: 36    XL:     27
Magic:  31/31      EV: 21    Int:  8    God:    Qazlal [****..]
Gold:   3335       SH: 40    Dex: 15    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    a - +7 broad axe (freeze)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    N - +1 gold dragon scales
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    e - +1 large shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    w - +2 hat {Int+3}
rElec  .          Reflect  +    K - +2 cloak
rCorr  .          Harm     .    Z - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR     +++..      Rnd*Tele +    C - +1 pair of boots
Stlth  ..........               n - +4 amulet of reflection
                                P - ring of Robustness {AC+8}
                                O - ring of see invisible

@: mighty, repel missiles
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, magic resistance 1, strong 1, teleportitis 1,
MP-powered wands
a: Upheaval, Elemental Force, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
Highlight of the run was definitely getting teleportitis from an orb of fire shortly after entering Zot:5, then getting teleported 2 spaces from the Orb before I had even entered the main chambers. After changing my pants I grabbed the Orb, popped a teleport scroll and spammed Disaster Area until it kicked in (which is why you can see I didn't have it at the end of the run).

This was character #12, including 4 Human Wanderers (one of them I accidentally blew up with an immolation scroll) and a SpEn I returned to the surface with because I picked the wrong combo.
After I stopped messing around with silly combos and decided to go seriously for the Orb (or at least as seriously as you can with Qazlal) it took 3 characters. The first died in 44 seconds to a goblin with a dagger of venom. The second I got killed lazily fighting through Vaults:5 because I was bored and I felt like even if this one died, I could just ascend the next one.

There's some cool stuff in this version but I think I'll stick to 0.12.2 unless I want to play a race/religion that came out afterward. I'm sure the changes were less noticeable over time but compared, this version seems more simplistic and less realistic/immersive. If my winning run was in 0.12.2 I would have straight up died twice after getting Abyssed two separate times in Zot, except both times I was able to just find a nice corner and fight it out. A lot of the terror, uncertainty, and strangeness of the Abyss is lost when turtling is a valid strategy. I also don't really feel like it's a challenge, or like I'm actually in the dungeon outsmarting its obstacles, when I can walk around carrying 68 tomahawks of returning and giant stacks of every useful potion I've ever come across. Weight limits and item destruction force you to make meaningful choices about what you choose to carry around, whereas now if you're gonna carry one of something you may as well carry every single one you have. I should point out that the seeming redundancy of teleportation, hasting, and heal wounds wands is the direct result of those removals - in 0.12.2 I'm excited to find a wand of teleportation because scrolls can be destroyed, and hasting/heal wounds wands replace heavy stacks of rare potions that can also be destroyed. The streamlining of identification, especially for scrolls and wands, also takes a lot of flavor out of the early game.

I think I'll try to ascend a Sludge Elf Transmuter next, see if I can do it in less than 50 attempts. Too bad Evaporate got removed recently.

e: v but I like nausea.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 22, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think you should at least try 0.13 for no nausea, gargoyles, and a bunch of other stuff.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Item destruction sucked and I'm glad it's gone. Hell, I'm glad jellies can't eat items anymore. Creating a stash in lair and dropping everything because I saw an ice beast was tedious.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoyed item destruction massively and thinks crawl is lesser of a game without it. But then I also love Sil, which apparently is equivalent to drawing a line in the sand when it comes to certain crawn devs ;p I really do wonder what type of game crawl would have been if Henzell hadn't abandoned it; his vision was really driving and prolific, and I see a lot of his experimental gameplay ideas lambasted, but things like 'victory dancing' where revised in later games (eg Garden of Coloured Lights) to amazing effect.

Regarding dpeg, his opinions here are to be valued, not everyone is trawling through (or even party-to) the private dev logs for trunk. The backlash seems most ppl idolizing him as all crawl devs, since forever, in single form and lashing out at it. It's nice when other RLs are able to have all discussion sit in a single forum (Sil) with devs, old hands, and newbies all chewing the fat. Don't chase him away, please and thank you.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Regarding dpeg, his opinions here are to be valued, not everyone is trawling through (or even party-to) the private dev logs for trunk.

I totally agree, and I'd like to suggest people back off just a tad. dpeg is not the type to take offense but it's still unseemly.

Let me change the subject by pointing out that even though PF hates ranged Crypt 3 clearly disapproves of my skill choices thus far and would REALLY like for me to give it a try:

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

LordSloth posted:

any ideas if there are any planned changes related to the the whole wand changes other than consumable spawn rate and changes to those who can't quaff potions? I.E. Any new wands (or rebalancing the power of remaining ones) or gadgets incoming to fill the void? Or are they just getting pulled and balanced around the removal?
At your service: https://sourceforge.net/p/crawl-ref/mailman/message/35534171/
This is a digest of several hours of ##crawl-dev discussion. As you can see, some of the items have been addressed. I think the rods->wands change has a good chance to make it, too.

edit: I never use the web interface for c-r-d because I get and save the emails. The whole thing looks very 90s, no question about it. Thank god it's the last bit connecting us to SauceForge.

dpeg fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 22, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

define xomscumming

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

MuFi^Oka 15 rune

I am honestly more concerned about losing the wand of hasting for mummies over heal wounds. You had Oka, which compensates for this on the melee side. I saw Finesse was used 35 times at 25-27; when did you feel it was necessary for surviving the encounter over just spending excess piety on a reasonable threat?

Again, I feel these wand changes are good (except Mennas and Ereshkigal should probably be looked at for being sources of silence faster than the player with the lack of wand teleport), because their existence just meant you had an extremely high stock of those resources the moment you found the wands thanks to recharging. I think the mummy outcries are more of the same of mummies being complete trash and continuing to spiral further due to quality of life changes and reasonable nerfs removing their advantages and crutches as collateral while leaving their disadvantages the same. They should probably just be renamed to Refuse or something appropriate to indicate that it is a joke species.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mennas's silence is at least temporary, so you can get a tele scroll in when it wears off if that's seriously your only option. Silent spectres' perma-silence has only ever been a problem for me in zigs.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

define xomscumming

Choose CK/worship Xom, find a safe place like Temple or a portal vault where nothing OOD can spawn (or just do it on each dungeon floor on the way down and leave when you spot something bad), hold 5 until Xom gives you enough gifts, optionally abandon for another god. If you get a good attack rod, you can take out the OOD spawns for a giant boost in early XP One of the few remaining niches of being unable to starve, but Vampire can do it better and also has less of a desire to do it in the first place.

code:
259117 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Mennas's silence is at least temporary, so you can get a tele scroll in when it wears off if that's seriously your only option. Silent spectres' perma-silence has only ever been a problem for me in zigs.

They're really dangerous if they show up with tormentors. For a melee guy that combo isn't a huge deal as long as you have a wand of digging/disintegration to make a murderhole but for a caster that could easily spell death.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Remove wands of digging and disintegration.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Remove wands of digging and disintegration.

You jest, but one or both are probably next on the chopping block.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

omg

I knew that -tele bardiche would kill me, but not for this reason. I tried to blink with it still equipped. It didn't let me blink obviously, but my next key press was under the assumption that I would have blinked. There wasn't a "force more message" prompt or whatever for the cancelled blink. So I took a step and got killed. It's my own fault for not playing slowly enough, but god that sucks.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I thought spell casting was mostly to depress spell hunger though?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Digging is cool, plz don't remove

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Many of my wins are actually with Cheibriados aside from that lovely initial period when you find an altar on D:2 and don't have any good tools to help out survive Grinder... Chei is good even outside of speedruns.

Putting aside race/class combos and skilling choices, I can honestly say most people I've spectated have no clue how to properly play Cheibriados characters, though that usually doesn't extend to anyone who's managed to win once. There is more than one way to go about it, but overlooking TD is probably the biggest offender.

Malmutation ideas:
  • Tab Addiction.
  • Reckless: Lowers health warning
  • Disco/LSDrobin theming.
  • Tavernitis
  • Awfulitis: like shoutitis, but with more stylish Nazi references: first they came for the mountain dwarves, but I did not speak up...
  • Accursed: runs into more legendary player ghosts.
  • Poor vision: no warning when a distortion weapon comes into view.
  • Clownitis: randomized player color and weapon brand.
  • Thin skin: character automatically mesmerized by trolls, add more trolls.
  • Luddite: slowly reverts gameplay to older versions, seeing wands that don't exist.
  • White Knight will take blows for all allies like guardian golems or so spirit weapons. May overheat and explode.
  • Hypothetical optimal man: name changes to meow, may restart floor every time you gain the wrong stat.
  • troll: nothing seems different from your average roguelike player. Is this so supposed to do anything?

Some of these are actually things that I wouldn't mind seeing and could be dangerous as gently caress. Mainly: Reckless, Accursed and Poor Vision.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

Some of these are actually things that I wouldn't mind seeing and could be dangerous as gently caress. Mainly: Reckless, Accursed and Poor Vision.

Reckless and Poor Vision are just interface screws that don't actually affect good play if you are willing to introduce more tedium. I'm not sure if you are allowed to manipulate level gen with a mutation either. You might be able to rework it into it occasionally spawning ghost around you, but that sounds more like a curse than a physical mutation.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Floodkiller posted:

Reckless and Poor Vision are just interface screws that don't actually affect good play if you are willing to introduce more tedium. I'm not sure if you are allowed to manipulate level gen with a mutation either. You might be able to rework it into it occasionally spawning ghost around you, but that sounds more like a curse than a physical mutation.

Make malmutates curses.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I thought we had a good idea a while back about malmutate by turning the initial blasts of it into temporary mutations that go away with enough XP a la draining or stat loss but if you got hit with another malmutate when you had enough mutations it would possibly cement them from temporary to permanent. Obviously needs some work fine-tuning it but I thought it was a nice mix of not punishing people for walking into line of sight of a shining eye or having to tank an OoF while reminding you that you have to avoid being repeatedly mutated in one sitting or else these things will stick with you.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think i'm gonna hunker down and start grinding out some practice. I've gotten to where getting to lair/orc is consistent but I've kinda hit a plateau.

My practice strategy has been to mindlessly o-tab until I either die or get a decent piece of loot and then start playing carefully after I have a good piece of gear to work with. Speeds up the early game quite significantly.

What should my skill progression look like as a halfling skald? I've been focusing on charms and spellcasting first to get my starting spells all memorized and at a decent success rate then focusing on short blades and stealth to kill poo poo quicker. Is this about right for the early game?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Look how big the apple tile is.

Jeez

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Floodkiller posted:

You jest, but one or both are probably next on the chopping block.

Good, I hate it when characters get utility from things.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

I am honestly more concerned about losing the wand of hasting for mummies over heal wounds. You had Oka, which compensates for this on the melee side. I saw Finesse was used 35 times at 25-27; when did you feel it was necessary for surviving the encounter over just spending excess piety on a reasonable threat?
Considering that I could use blowguns to incapacitate all pan lords(and got some needles outside of oka), finesse didn't feel huge in the postgame. There were probably times where I would have died without it but I also could have survived those times with other god abilities(or just training more evo and picking up box of beasts/sack of spiders, which I neglected)!

like I said before, I will do another Mu run without Oka if that is what is needed to convince people.

Internet Kraken posted:

Mummies are absolutely a case where I'd use every acquirement scroll on wands ASAP because having a source of heal wounds simply makes the game much safer.
You don't usually get enough acq to get it in a 3-rune game which is the only kind of game that matters for winrate(because if you're playing purely for winrate you'll take the win instead of extending your game and risking making a dumb mistake), and in extended the amount of healing heal wounds gives you is not that great and you have so much XP anyways that that part of the game that you're very powerful with or without heal wounds.

I do not see which part of the game Mu is greatly affected by loss of heal wounds wand.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Haste is the bigger loss IMO, but I don't think I've ever played a mummy so my opinion on that is limited.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

like I said before, I will do another Mu run without Oka if that is what is needed to convince people.

Please don't suffer for other people's opinions. I was asking in curiosity, not in disagreement.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Prism posted:

Haste is the bigger loss IMO, but I don't think I've ever played a mummy so my opinion on that is limited.

IronicDongz posted:

Lacking haste matters more, but the game is certainly still winnable...

:)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been splatting mummy abyssal knights like crazy for the last hour. I'll prove them all wrong.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Yeah, I saw that, but almost everyone seems to be focusing on heal wounds despite that.

In other news, the thread has done good for newbies because autofight_stop now defaults to 50%, not 30%, to teach new players to run earlier. Also the fencer's gloves and guardian golem descriptions were updated so that you know a) they stack with regular riposte and b) they can explode at low health, respectively.

Also you can acquire helmets now. Hurray!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Prism posted:

In other news, the thread has done good for newbies because autofight_stop now defaults to 50%, not 30%, to teach new players to run earlier. Also the fencer's gloves and guardian golem descriptions were updated so that you know a) they stack with regular riposte and b) they can explode at low health, respectively.

This is great news! Setting my autofight-stop % to 65 was the biggest step in securing my first win.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
one of the interesting things about dcss: circus animals was that the dev wasn't actually that experienced with the game, and so he came at some things from a very different perspective from what you'd find in this thread or other parts of the 'crawl community'. in particular, he was startled by how weak healing was past the early game. Healing potions/wands don't scale, so past a certain point, !hw is gonna be healing 10% of your hp or less per quaff, often not even enough to keep up with incoming damage. this is very different from how other games work, and the dcss:ca felt that healing/curing needed to be buffed dramatically - they were 'practically useless' later on!

Prism posted:

Also the fencer's gloves and guardian golem descriptions were updated so that you know a) they stack with regular riposte and b) they can explode at low health, respectively.

well, the fencers' gloves already described that they stacked with long blade riposte - i guess LogicNinja never actually read the description?

quote:

They have a natural affinity with the riposte, allowing their wielder to retaliate against some missed attacks with any weapon, or to retaliate against all attacks when using a long blade.

the problem was that riposte chance got nerfed from 50% to 33% a while back, so the stacked chance went from 100% to 67%, so fencer's gloves + long blade no longer retaliates against "all" [missed] attacks :)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 22, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

Yeah, I saw that, but almost everyone seems to be focusing on heal wounds despite that.

You couldn't acquire helmets before from an Barmour acquisition? Or can you specify what type you're looking for?

Actually, now that I think of it it'd be cool to be able to narrow down an acquire request to an armour slot specifically...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

one of the interesting things about dcss: circus animals was that the dev wasn't actually that experienced with the game, and so he came at some things from a very different perspective from what you'd find in this thread or other parts of the 'crawl community'. in particular, he was startled by how weak healing was past the early game. Healing potions/wands don't scale, so past a certain point, !hw is gonna be healing 10% of your hp or less per quaff, often not even enough to keep up with incoming damage. this is very different from how other games work, and the dcss:ca felt that healing/curing needed to be buffed dramatically - they were 'practically useless' later on!

well, the fencers' gloves already described that they stacked with long blade riposte - i guess LogicNinja never actually read the description?

the problem was that riposte chance got nerfed from 50% to 33% a while back, so the stacked chance went from 100% to 67%, so fencer's gloves + long blade no longer retaliates against "all" [missed] attacks :)

Yeah, that's one of the unique things about Crawl to me and part of the reason I'm not really upset about losing the HW wands. Healing has never been a primary tactic, even to the point of sort of being relegated to one god choice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

Ah, that's on me, I wasn't paying attention to the commit and only noticed that the description was changed.

FulsomFrank posted:

You couldn't acquire helmets before from an Barmour acquisition? Or can you specify what type you're looking for?

Actually, now that I think of it it'd be cool to be able to narrow down an acquire request to an armour slot specifically...

It was in fact bugged to only give you hats even if you could equip helmets.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 22, 2016

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was I was good enough at this game to incontrovertibly rebut an argument like this. This does make me feel a lot better about the change. I thought about the last (and only) time I got close to a win, when I ate it to an Ancient Lich on Zot:5 as a GrBe. No amount of high tier wands would have saved me from myself and I don't recall even using them during the run. But I guess that's the philosophy behind the change, huh?

Edit: Wow, I pulled my morgue for that game and it's super enlightening. Died to a crystal spear for 89(!) damage, plus a number of questionable things like wearing gourmand in Zot:5. Humorously, I also may be misremembering because the three types of wands I was carrying are Heal Wounds, Teleport, and Haste. I only evoked wands in total exactly 12 times though.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

Please don't suffer for other people's opinions. I was asking in curiosity, not in disagreement.
don't worry, I enjoy doing stuff 'to prove a point'. it's the same reason* I made this video when someone said they felt like beating lil hunter came down to the luck of what weapons you got.
I might actually do mummy abyssal knight myself because corrupt is such a fun ability

*I am incredibly petty

• Locked thread