Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

She's Gone Away sounds like something straight off The Fragile. I really didn't think that Trent had this kinda thing in him any more but this is really great, I wish it was a whole album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So is he getting a divorce orrrr

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
So when are we supposed to get Deviations?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

echronorian posted:

So is he getting a divorce orrrr

Don't worry, it's Not The Actual Events

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'll need a few more listens to digest this, but it's not grabbing me immediately.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Wow, this loving went off.

I think Dear World, and The Idea of You are my favorites. Definitely was happy to wake up to this in my inbox.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I'll need a few more listens to digest this, but it's not grabbing me immediately.

Is it different from your expectations, is it just not your thing, or do you think it's just... not good?

\/\/\/\/
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to argue about it or invalidate your opinion or anything. I've only listened to the one track linked in here and dug it, just wondering. :)

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 22, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Is it different from your expectations, is it just not your thing, or do you think it's just... not good?

I just can't understand a word that's being said. I prefer music that reveals itself slowly, so don't think I'm complaining.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Haha, I was really stoked to download the Deviations tracks today, especially because my holiday travel schedule changed and I had an extra day to do it. Well-played, Rezzo.

I'm not planning on getting the new EP until January when I can better afford the vinyl (assuming the "physical component" is sold out by then) but "Burning Bright" is way interesting, definitely didn't expect anything like that. I was assuming more Trent & Atticus playing on their laptop. This is probably the biggest stylistic shift NIN has done since Year Zero.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Did the Deviations download show up for you?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Leon Einstein posted:

Delayed until tomorrow, per my email this morning.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
hahaha the album basically sounds like the guy from "The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)" flipping out. That was an interesting ride to work!

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Really digging this new NIN but

Leon Einstein posted:

I just can't understand a word that's being said.

I can't sing along if I can't hear what you're saying T-Rez

Leon Einstein posted:

My email said it was getting delayed a day, so tomorrow I guess

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I just thought my browser was misbehaving when the Deviations 1 link kept downloading a PDF, but the file is actually a message from Trent:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

digging that new youtube track, sounds like the stuff I used to listen to during freshman year of high school when I would go home and cry in my pillow because I went another day without someone my penis.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so this one is just trent and atticus right?

its very good

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Not being able to understand TRez vocals is a good thing in my book. I've always liked his voice, but every album has more than a few moments with lyrics so bad it actively distracts from any good that may be surrounding them.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
this EP is really good and I like it and it's good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The only real problem with this ep is that it's not a full album

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I approve of the buried vocal mix. I like his voice tonally but I'd rather not here his lyrics. Production is gnarly. Good poo poo.

Sir Lemming posted:

Don't worry, it's Not The Actual Events

Touche. Though if he was, and this is what he makes because of it, I'm in

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Didn't they just have their fourth kid or something?

The Kins posted:

It's a free stream. It should be at the top of the "Radio" tab in both the iOS music app and the iTunes desktop app's "Music" section. Should be similar through the Apple Music Android app, but I don't have one of those devices so I can't check.
Where'd you see this? I'm hoping to check it out whenever it goes up (any minute now, apparently) but I hadn't read anything about this beforehand.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 22, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I swear I heard Mariqueen singing in parts.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know this seems crazy but it is entirely possible for a dude to write a song referencing a "she" or "her" that is not his wife or even, necessarily, an actual person at all. the song could just as easily be about heroin or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Earwicker posted:

i know this seems crazy but it is entirely possible for a dude to write a song referencing a "she" or "her" that is not his wife or even, necessarily, an actual person at all. the song could just as easily be about heroin or something.

Was The Perfect Drug about a drug... or a woman?

Makes you think.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Sanctified is about his crack pipe. Seriously.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
So uh, did everyone else's digital copy come with the artwork for Still?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, kinda lazy IMO.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The NIN wiki (actually linked from NIN.com so I figure it might as well count as an official source) is listing four variant covers total: http://www.nin.wiki/Not_The_Actual_Events#Artwork

I assume the main white one is the vinyl. Not sure what the others are, unless each digital file format gets its own version or something.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
So are people far less lazy than me trying to find if there's any hidden steganography in the artwork or music?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

So uh, did everyone else's digital copy come with the artwork for Still?

I'm assuming that's intentional rather than just lazy repurposing of existing artwork.

e: Does She's Gone Away remind anyone of The Fragile (the song, not the album) a bit?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When did Trent give up on the whole "Halo" numbering thing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Entropic posted:

Aw man, I didn't know this happened. I really liked this.

I also thought that it would be neat (and potentially stupid!) for you to start with a number and count down to something.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Hesitation Marks was Halo 28 and without anyone holding a physical copy of the new EP it's pretty safe to assume it will have a Halo number too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BANME.sh posted:

Hesitation Marks was Halo 28 and without anyone holding a physical copy of the new EP it's pretty safe to assume it will have a Halo number too.

Does he still actually put halo numbers on the packaging, or is it just fans keeping track now?

Come to think of it, the most recent NIN release I own a physical copy of is probably [AWITHA_TEETHA].

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like the buried vocals, more bands should be doing that IMO. For example, listen to anything Metallica's put out in the last decade. I don't need to hear every nuance, breath, and inflection of James Hetfield's singing voice twice as loud as the rest of the music. It sounds unnatural. Not that the vocal mix has ever sounded unnatural on a NIN album, really -- it just happens to be something I'm a fan of.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Entropic posted:

It was still around as of Hesitation Marks (28). For all we know the physical liner notes for the new EP might say something.
[e;b]

Entropic posted:

Does he still actually put halo numbers on the packaging, or is it just fans keeping track now?
He does - "halo 28cd" is printed on the side of the Hesitation Marks CD packaging.

btw did anyone actually get these in MP3 format? The FLACs are basically devoid of metadata so I was wondering if anything interesting was tucked away in there.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 22, 2016

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Earwicker posted:

The album is about Harambe IMO

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

echronorian posted:

The album is about Harambe IMO

gently caress you

Anyways, this ep is real good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did anyone else not get download links for the majority of their order? I got the new album, but not Broken, Fragile, or the PDF apology for Deviations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Entropic posted:

[AWITHA_TEETHA].

This cracks me up every time it comes up.

New EP is dope, pretty surprised he described it as "impenetrable" because its not too far from his usual sound, the single is probably the most obscure of the bunch. Dear World is very Hesitation Marks sounding imo and Shes Gone Away sounded pretty similar to other NIN to me (awesome song too).