Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought Stinky was going to die last week, she got all cold and such like dying hamsters normally do, but now she's back to normal. She's almost four years old, I believe. She's outlived everyone else in her family, and still keeps on truckin', though she's gotten thinner. Still, every day is a gift!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
That is practically ancient for a hamster. She is a Syrian correct?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, syrian.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Mariette is just so nice.
Never bites, always ready to be picked up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mrfart posted:

totally adorbs

these folks's hamsters are the luckiest hams in the world maybe???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebPaeoFW0H0

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mrfart posted:

I wish Amaya was. She LOVED my wife. Absolutely loved her, even went to sleep on her chest a time or two.

Me, on the other hand? My wife has breathing issues with the dust from used rodent bedding, so I clean the cages. Every time I got Amaya out to clean and put her in her ball, she tried to bite me through the drat ball.

Speaking of which, I should get Kai and Mimi balls. I know pigs don't usually do balls, but they run around a ton in their cages and it'll keep them from getting under the couch.

Again. There's an hour of my life and 8 wasted carrots I'll never get back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What is it they say? Don't tempt fate? Because stinky just died in my shirt(where she usually sleeps). I had a feeling she wasn't doing well when I saw her outside of her nest asleep rather than in it, but I didn't think she'd be gone so quickly, less than five minutes later. What a shame. But we had some good times together, and she lasted a week longer than I thought she would, so I am glad for that.

My mom's more broken up about it than I am, actually. I'm just glad I got to spend so much longer than average with stinky, especially since she almost died two years ago from an infection.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp. Wasn't planning on getting a new one so soon, but my go-to pet shop was on the way to an appointment so I dropped in, and now I have Ted.

I always reach my hand into a store's cage and see which ones sniff but don't bite me and seem cool. All the rest were complete spazzes but this one was chill and didn't bite. I've set up a new cage for him but right now he's exploring my shirt. He's a squeaker, too! I set up an order for a female one, as well.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

D34THROW posted:

I wish Amaya was. She LOVED my wife. Absolutely loved her, even went to sleep on her chest a time or two.

Me, on the other hand? My wife has breathing issues with the dust from used rodent bedding, so I clean the cages. Every time I got Amaya out to clean and put her in her ball, she tried to bite me through the drat ball.

Speaking of which, I should get Kai and Mimi balls. I know pigs don't usually do balls, but they run around a ton in their cages and it'll keep them from getting under the couch.

Again. There's an hour of my life and 8 wasted carrots I'll never get back.
I remember when I was a kid, I had several guinea pigs and they used to follow me in the garden. The biggest one followed me, and the small ones followed the big one.
Imagine a kid with a train of 4 pigs behind him.

Captain Invictus posted:

Welp. Wasn't planning on getting a new one so soon, but my go-to pet shop was on the way to an appointment so I dropped in, and now I have Ted.
Very sorry to hear stinky died. But nice you already have Ted.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

D34THROW posted:

Personally I would stay away from the balls with guinea pigs as it isn't good for their back.

My wife and I had pigs a while back and we used to put them in a harness and tether it so they would have enough room to run but not have enough leash to get under things. Worked pretty well.

The leash and harness was also good during the summer when we would let them go outside for fresh dandelions in the yard. So much wheeking in anticipation for thoes dandelions.

Captain Invictus posted:

I always reach my hand into a store's cage and see which ones sniff but don't bite me and seem cool. All the rest were complete spazzes but this one was chill and didn't bite. I've set up a new cage for him but right now he's exploring my shirt. He's a squeaker, too! I set up an order for a female one, as well.
Sorry to hear about stinky, and congrats on Ted. He is a cutie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't had him for even 24 hours and Ted is already comfortable enough to sleep inside my shirt. :3:

He's just great. And so tiny! I haven't owned a Chinese dwarf hamster in at least a decade so it's nice to have one once again. I'm thinking I might breed them, since I've got experience with raising hamsters with pups.

edit: the instant he gets inside my shirt he won't shut up while crawling around. Just nonstop squeaking, it's the cutest loving thing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 24, 2016

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Aww, you're lucky to have such vocal hams :3:

It's Christmas eve and that means that it is also Runty's birthday today :toot:
I got her a brand new lazy lookout to sleep in. I even made sure to drill the pee drainage holes in her bathroom corner big enough so they wouldn't clog easily.
With any luck this will make cleaning her nest so much easier as the pee will just drain out into a paper towel.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I want to switch up my chinchillas' food to see if I can get the picky eater to start eating his pellets again. Problem is, looks like Oxbow is my only option for not crap chinchilla food. Are there other brands out there that are equivalent?

I'm getting mixed information online about whether or not guinea pig food is acceptable to feed to chinchillas. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So when we got our hamster she was almost completely gray/brown. After less than a week the majority of her body turned white.
And now she started changing again and it looks like she's getting a raccoon mask. Totally cute. Is it normal for hamsters to change like that?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Problem! posted:

I want to switch up my chinchillas' food to see if I can get the picky eater to start eating his pellets again. Problem is, looks like Oxbow is my only option for not crap chinchilla food. Are there other brands out there that are equivalent?

I'm getting mixed information online about whether or not guinea pig food is acceptable to feed to chinchillas. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Mazuri has a chinchilla diet available. Last i heard they were equivalent to Oxbow.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So my 8 year old asked Santa for a hamster for Christmas. Of course Santa went against my wishes and got her one anyway.

Meet Marshmellow the Russian Winter White Dwarf

She isn't very nice and is always either hiding or trying to escape. She spent the last 5 days barricaded in one of the tubes surrounded by her girly bedding pooping and peeing in the tube. We showed the 8 year old how to clean the cage the other night and I guess Marshmellow was paying attention as she has now figured out where the cage door is to get out. She will spend an exhaustive amount of time running around in the tubes and on her wheel now, which is nice, however we catch her swinging from the cage 'ceiling' as if it were monkey bars as she makes her way to the door and nibbles on the latch trying to pop it open. She's basically dead set on running away I guess. Doesn't let the 8 year old so much as pet her without an attempted bite or loud screech noise. I picked her up the other day to put her into her little ball so she could roll around on the floor while the cage was being cleaned and she seemed OK at first, but quickly realized she was out of the cage and tried to make a break for it. I figure this is pretty normal for the most part, but weirdly enough when we got her the pet store she was fine. We even held her in our hands without so much as a blink from her and the person in the store thought that was a good sign she would be super sweet and playful. Not so much.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 4, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's young, hamsters are absolute spazzes while still growing. Once she matures she'll still try to escape as all rodents are wont to do, but it should be manageable. And constant feedback with treats and handling will calm her down when being picked up.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I was sold that cage as well and its too small. Look into the Alaska on zooplus it's a much better size and allows for you to put more bedding in for digging which is their most important natural behaviour.

The screeching is a fear response, it happens. Be patient, she's not doing it because she's mean their brains aren't big enough.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Also kick Santa in the dick and set them to a few hours in Google to research taming techniques and proper care. Neither 8 yo nor ham is winning in the situation Santa created here.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I impulsively bought a hamster. I bought a wired/plastic cage and now kind of regret it. he seems to chew on them. I gave him a carrot, but he's he still goes to bars. he also climbs them.

I'm guessing he wants to escape, but I don't know if it's because of stress or boredom. honestly I might try to make a bin cage or get an aquarium in a week to give him more room.

I let him sniff my hand but he started to immediately climb on me. I let him do it because I know you're supposed to handle them. but I think he wanted to escape. do they always want to escape? Am I holding him against his will?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rodents will always try to escape everything, they're always on the move when not sleeping pretty much. Don't worry too much about it.

Getting an aquarium may be wise, however there is a small chance that the hamster will realize it can scrape its teeth on the glass, which, well, if you have ever heard the screech from scraping glass, it's not pleasant. Only two of my hamsters, ever, figured that one out though, and they tended to eventually stop since I would dump cold water on their head whenever they did it

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Hams will climb anything and chew on anything.
Sometimes at the same time!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
How big is the cage?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

thebushcommander posted:

Meet Marshmellow the Russian Winter White Dwarf

I have this exact same cage. My hamster loves it. So much in fact that if he is outside of it for more than 5 minutes he starts getting stressed and wants to go back in. Only time he climbs on the bars is to get to the upper level.

Bonus action shot

Incitatus fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 22, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I impulsively bought a hamster. I bought a wired/plastic cage and now kind of regret it. he seems to chew on them. I gave him a carrot, but he's he still goes to bars. he also climbs them.

Hamsters don't chew because they're hungry, they chew because like all rodents they need to sharpen their teeth and keep them short. Get him a chew stick.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Jedit posted:

Hamsters don't chew because they're hungry, they chew because like all rodents they need to sharpen their teeth and keep them short. Get him a chew stick.

Some hamsters don't like the sticks. Mine for example won't chew on kiwi tree or willow sticks. I have some snack sticks hanging for him and a mineral stone. His teeth stay in good shape. Pick up a variety of things to chew on, because keeping their teeth in good shape is really important, since their front teeth never stop growing.

Plus with the snack sticks you get to take pictures like this *repost because its adorable*

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Also, people with dwarf hamster experience. Is it advisable to take them in for check-ups because of their susceptibility to diabetes? I limit my dwarf's intake of sugar, so no treats with added sugar, no carrots, fruit etc...The only sugar he really has is a coconut stick and a few various bits of corn in his food (It's a blend specifically for dwarfs.)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
:sigh: Two animals in two weeks really is too much.

I'd just gotten Mimi the piggy out a couple nights prior and she was fine. Totally fine. Or so it appeared. That's the thing with rodents and prey animals; you don't know anything's wrong until it's too late. I opened her cage Thursday night and didn't really think anything of it when she didn't bolt into her house like she usually does. Sometimes she just waits for me.

She was super-light when I handed her to my wife, who noticed scragglier fur than usual. Mimi wasn't really holding on to my wife, instead more sitting there. If you put her sideways and let her go, she'd fall down your tummy. Her breathing was really shallow and rapid. My wife looked at her lips...cyanotic. It was now that we knew she was dying fast.

Wife said she was cold, go get the heating pad, so I did. Put a blankie over it, turned it on low. This is when Mimi started twitching. I sat on the couch next to my wife and Mimi, wrapped up in her blanket on the heating pad...I'm tearing up writing about this but I need to. We told her it was okay. Mommy and Daddy are here. It's okay to let go.

A few short, sharp, gasping breaths later, she did. I'm heartbroken. First our cat Quiggs on the 5th and now Mimi on the 19th. It's too loving much. We only got her in late September and now she's already gone. We don't know what was wrong and probably never will. She seemed fine until the last night.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, if she was relatively filthy/uncleaned, especially around the mouth area, she was pretty much preparing to die. Something serious must have been wrong. Sorry that happened to you man. Sometimes rodents just suddenly go off like that, and it super sucks.

The pet shop I buy my hamsters at actually has a "return policy" as horrible as it sounds, if the pet dies within two weeks of purchase for any reason, they will replace them free of charge. I had that happen to a super sweet little cow-patterned hamster I had bought and I so totally wish I didn't have to replace her. But the one I replaced her with wound up being the first pregnant hamster I got years ago, and led to me having some of the most amazing hams ever, so it was a blessing in disguise.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Update on the marshmellow from the previous page. She's been much better in the last week. She now chases the 8 year old's finger up/down the tubes and has stopped chewing on the bars, though she is going through the sticks pretty quickly. Shes also gotten a little bigger. She was hibernating in her tube still surrounded by bedding, but the next morning the tubes were cleared out and she was busy all day running on her wheel and moving her food supplies around. Also still seems pretty content in her ball even though she still shits non-stop while inside it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

So my girlfriend runs a ethical Syrian hamster non-profit breeding organization, and I wanted to advertise a little that a brand new litter was just born and is almost ready for adoption.

http://www.cheeksandsqueakshamsters.com

Here is their website, they are based in the greater LA area and all hamsters are of a show quality. Hamsters are bred for temperament, health and, good genetic traits such as clearly defined pattern and shape.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're super duper cute. I dunno if anyone in this thread is that serious about hamsters that they're taking them to...hamster shows, though. Hell I didn't even know those were a thing

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

They're super duper cute. I dunno if anyone in this thread is that serious about hamsters that they're taking them to...hamster shows, though. Hell I didn't even know those were a thing

Its not just about taking them to shows, its just a much higher quality animal that is ethically raised and sold (most pet store hams are sold the second they can eat solid food and are not given the extra 2 weeks to learn to socialize and not be little shits). These Hams live longer, are friendlier and, you don't support mill breeders.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gotcha, gotcha. How much do those types usually cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

ColHannibal posted:

So my girlfriend runs a ethical Syrian hamster non-profit breeding organization,

Out of curiosity, is she planning on attending the California Hamster Association meeting this weekend? They would be interested (and you can get cute hamster ribbons).

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Carados posted:

Out of curiosity, is she planning on attending the California Hamster Association meeting this weekend? They would be interested (and you can get cute hamster ribbons).

She is actually the president of the CHA, and the pups will be there!

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

ColHannibal posted:

She is actually the president of the CHA, and the pups will be there!

I'll see her there (and look at cute baby hamsters)!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Gotcha, gotcha. How much do those types usually cost, if you don't mind me asking?

$40 - And in addition to the ham you also get...

1lb food (high grade lab blocks not pet store food)
A litter sample
Seed Mix
Treats
Pedigree and care sheet
A hand made snuggle sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Cool. Shame I'm on the east coast. :(