Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For y'all not reading Cave Carson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Cave Carson is becoming the best Young Animal book. Which is something because Doom Patrol is also very good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Does anyone know how long JLvSS is going to be? Also, other than the obvious team books, what other books will tie into it heavily?

I see a six issue main book, but I think that double ships too.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
JLvSquad ships weekly, actually. Which, in the times of endless Civil War II delays, feels refreshing as all hell.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/811945669023961093

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're no closer to knowing anything about it. Boo!

edit: The Kamandi Challenge #1 preview
http://www.cbr.com/the-kamandi-challenge-1-preview/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 23, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So the thing about Justice League vs Suicide Squad is that...wouldn't this version of Superman know all about Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad already? To him, all this has basically already happened before. Wouldn't he know about the bombs in their heads and all that?

Hell, even if he doesn't...shouldn't he be able to hear Waller talking to Deadshot about it through his earpiece?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Hell, even if he doesn't...shouldn't he be able to hear Waller talking to Deadshot about it through his earpiece?

He could hear Wintergreen talking to Deathstroke through his headpiece, so the answer is yes unless the writer forgets.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or see the bombs with his x-rated vision

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why did this happen and why did that happen. Dr. Manhattan did it. That's the answer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After Lex, Superman isn't gonna judge people based on the versions he knows, and it wouldn't be fair to switch on his super senses to spy before they try to kill him!

Making the weekly shipping thread just now, I wasn't expecting to see #2 coming next week. I guess having a different artist every issue helps to keep things rolling.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 23, 2016

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

After Lex, Superman isn't gonna judge people based on the versions he knows, and it wouldn't be fair to switch on his super senses to spy before they try to kill him!

Making the weekly shipping thread just now, I wasn't expecting to see #2 coming next week. I guess having a different artist every issue helps to keep things rolling.

I appreciate not every comic reader likes to see multiple artists on the same weekly shipping title, but after seeing the drawn out delays of the seemingly endless Civil War 2 event on the Marvel side, give me an event done in around one month every time.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

So the thing about Justice League vs Suicide Squad is that...wouldn't this version of Superman know all about Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad already? To him, all this has basically already happened before. Wouldn't he know about the bombs in their heads and all that?

A lot of stories would never be told if all the heroes used their power and knowledge to not just the best of their ability but often times to the least.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That said I don't think it's unfair to check to see if people have bombs in their heads. Bomb smuggling is not some unalienable right.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 23, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

frameset posted:

I appreciate not every comic reader likes to see multiple artists on the same weekly shipping title, but after seeing the drawn out delays of the seemingly endless Civil War 2 event on the Marvel side, give me an event done in around one month every time.
Yeah I think two alternating artists, who have similar styles to keep things cohesive, is always best for event books.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Most people are gonna read events as "graphic novels" and have no comprehension of delays. I'd say it's more important to keep things consistent for them, but these days actually having your comics-launching-as-a-result-of-the-end-of-the-event come out after the thing is wrapped up would be a unique accomplishment.

edit: Linewide Comixology 60% off sale on everything except Rebirth titles after #3s.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-60-Off-Sale/page/13611?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 23, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I still don't get the reluctance to discount Rebirth issues, but I went ahead and got issues for Deathstroke and Green Arrow. Any other Rebirth recommendations, aside from those two and Superman?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

lotus circle posted:

I still don't get the reluctance to discount Rebirth issues, but I went ahead and got issues for Deathstroke and Green Arrow. Any other Rebirth recommendations, aside from those two and Superman?

Detective comics and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern corps are as good as Superman. Batman is enjoyable, but isn't for everyone.

The young animal books Doom Patrol and Cave Carson are both amazing. Shade is ok.

The thread praises Trinity and All-Star Batman, but I haven't read them.

Edit: I'm also enjoying the mini formally titled Adam Strange, but that probably isn't on sale and I'm a sucker for DC space comics.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 24, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lotus circle posted:

All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, New Super-Man, Teen Titans, and Trinity are really good. I think Tom King's Batman is great too, but that seems to be really love it or hate it right now.

They aren't branded with Rebirth, but I'd also check out all the Young Animal books, Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Midnighter and Apollo, and Sixpack and Dogwelder.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vertigo is in there, so Tom King's best DC comic, Sheriff of Babylon.

Also, Shade is the best YA comic :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vertigo is in there, so Tom King's best DC comic, Sheriff of Babylon.

Also, Shade is the best YA comic :colbert:

:wrong:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shade and Doom Patrol are the strongest YA books.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tom King's Batman is either going to be amazing or utterly awful but I don't think it's going to be clear which one until the story he's telling is done. The individual issues have been hit or miss, some great stuff, some not so great, but he's obviously got something he's working towards. I just can't really say at the moment whether I would recommend someone read it.

I can definitely recommend All-Star, Detective Comics, Superman, and Trinity without reservations. I would recommend Nightwing if you're a fan of the character and the flashback half of Wonder Woman.

Batgirl's two books didn't grab me the way the Tarr and Stewart issues did, I've dropped both of them at this point.

I've never been able to stay awake reading a Green Lantern book so I havent hosed with any of the Rebirth stuff but people say Hal Jordan and the GLC is good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh, don't forget to buy the Bloodlines reboot in the sale. :shiftyeyes:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This week's Cyborg was one of the dumbest and just hastily written I'd ever read, but strangely enjoyable in just how haphazard it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're not widely discounting Rebirth stuff because in January they're gonna start giving it away for free.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Rhyno posted:

They're not widely discounting Rebirth stuff because in January they're gonna start giving it away for free.

Like the first three issues of each series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Like the first three issues of each series?

They'll be letting people read the first trades for free very soon.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/29/the-entire-dc-rebirth-line-to-be-made-available-digitally-for-free-legally/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I gave up on Batman because buying weeklies when the story might only end up good when it's done kind of defeats the point. If it has good buzz down the road I'll pick up the volumes after monster men in trade.

I didn't think it was bad... it was good, but not double shipping good. That's money that could go to two indie books or something instead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's not as huge as you'd think. Do most young people even have library memberships in this day and age?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's not as huge as you'd think. Do most young people even have library memberships in this day and age?

A library card is free. My town has a 17 branch library. If people want to read this stuff you only need to visit the library one time and you're golden.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No matter how easy it is, I still bet the userbase for digital libraries is incredibly small and won't make much of an impact.
Nice if you have the gumption to take advantage of it, but aren't there weird real library holdovers like a limited amount of copies that can be 'lent out' and you can only have a handful of things per month?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Yeah I have hoopla available and can read 2 books a month. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what is li brary???

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nice if you have the gumption to take advantage of it, but aren't there weird real library holdovers like a limited amount of copies that can be 'lent out' and you can only have a handful of things per month?

If your county has a healthy tax base, you're probably better off than you think wrt library services. My library card gets me 10 Hoopla checkouts per month*, and that's including lots of Archie, Vertigo, Boom, and Image stuff that's relatively new in trade or just behind the single issue releases.

*To say nothing of physical media and other digital services... having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man I loved Ventriloquist vs Psycho Pirate

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I'm pumped for this DC 60% sale. I have my eye on the last half of Vigilante, 80s Checkmate, Peacemaker mini, 80s Deadshot mini, and the 19 issues of the 80s Manhunter that they have (it has 25 issues but I will have to wait 6 weeks for all of them).

I may also pick up what they have of the 80s Blue Beetle or part of the Captain Atom series.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Roth posted:

All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, New Super-Man, Teen Titans, and Trinity are really good.
It's so nice to see goon recommendations for this book that aren't mine. :allears:

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
How was Captain Atom's New 52 series? Was it any good, or should I just get his original 80's run?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Food Guy posted:

How was Captain Atom's New 52 series? Was it any good, or should I just get his original 80's run?

New is poo poo old is slightly less poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

New is poo poo old is slightly less poo poo.

I thought people were praising it at the time saying it was basically a good Dr. Manhattan comic.