Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

The Ellison tweet that started this conversation was against term limits, hope this helps :)

elison is a very inarticulate tweeter. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

docbeard posted:

I had a pretty interesting conversation with my cab driver on the way home from a post-work grocery run last night. Non-white dude with a noticeable accent, but I don't know where he was from (and didn't ask); the only personal information he volunteered was that he's an Orthodox Christian.

Anyway, after we chatted about Christmas decorations and the possible origins of the Santa Claus mythology and my being raised Mennonite and what's a Mennonite, the subject of Trump came up. He was almost apologetic at first about his complete disdain for the guy, but we chatted for a bit about how immoral the guy was, how he was probably crazy and definitely a racist and just going to be used by the Republicans, all the usual stuff. He said he was a little nervous about Muslims, but that he thought Trump's Muslim ban was dumb, likening it to stories of Muslim extremists killing people for not knowing passages out of the Quran.

But he was completely unsurprised that Trump had won. He was completely dismissive of Clinton, and not because of her scandals or her lovely campaign, but because of NAFTA, and he kept coming back to the central point of (and this is a direct quote) "Jobs are everything." Trump promised people jobs, therefore Trump got elected, QED.

I didn't get a chance to ask him about Sanders (or Webb), and I don't really have a point to make, except that this was an interesting conversation with an interesting dude, and "Jobs are everything" would probably be a good thing for the Democratic Party to remember going forward too.

that's the easy part

the hard part is figuring out why a jobs message sometimes falls completely flat, and then determining what does and doesn't go into a good jobs message

the thing is, the Dems did talk about jobs. it's just that when Hillary did it no one believed her, and when Obama did it people were outright offended

My Imaginary GF posted:

the only reason why republicans would ask is to reneg on the deal

if southern dems understood politics better, theyd paint republicans as indian givers

yeah I'm sure a racially-tinged insult is a real good political move

punk rebel ecks posted:

The problem is that the people infact don't approve of it, there is a reason why Congress has such as garbage approval rating. It's very difficult - you know what this is pointless forget about it.

Congress as a whole has awful approval ratings, but individual senators and reps usually have good approval ratings in the areas they represent. people don't hate their own Congressmen, they hate everyone else's Congressmen

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
also federal term limits are specifically dumb because many committees require members of congress to learn a huge amount of specialty information about specific industries. it takes a long time to learn that, so constantly replacing people who have obtained that knowledge with new people basically means that corporations will be writing all the legislation.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

It was super jargony yeah

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

My Imaginary GF posted:

since rahm closed down all the schools, most chicago children read at the level of migf. it's a crisis.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah I'm sure a racially-tinged insult is a real good political move

are you so out of touch that you think racially tinged insults are a bad political move in the loving deep south? no wonder why dems keep losing

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

loquacius posted:

he did not vote for Trump because if he did his wife would murder him

everyone you can say this about actually did vote trump probably

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

quote:

Expulsion of Representative James Traficant The House voted to expel Ohio Representative James Traficant for violation of House ethics rules. Ethics Committee members and others presented their cases prior to the final vote of 420 to 1.
:420:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
only one member of congress voted to save james traficant.

gary condit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

blamegame posted:

everyone you can say this about actually did vote trump probably

Bill Clinton probably voted Trump yeah

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Concerned Citizen posted:

only one member of congress voted to save james traficant.

gary condit

who could vote to impeach Top Gun

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No one with half a brain is going to believe a candidate is serious about jobs when they're on record gleefully saying they are going to put people out of work.

It's almost like the message, the messenger and the energy policy all suck.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No one with half a brain is going to believe a candidate is serious about jobs when they're on record gleefully saying they are going to put people out of work.

It's almost like the message, the messenger and the energy policy all suck.

Youre Fired! TM

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Could you actually provide an argument?

Term limits actively encourage empty suit candidates that are purchased by the highest bidder.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

are you so out of touch that you think racially tinged insults are a bad political move in the loving deep south? no wonder why dems keep losing

tell us more about the benefits of strategic racism

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

tell us more about the benefits of strategic racism

ask our next president

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

ask our next president

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:chloe:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
YANNO WHATCHER PROBLEM IS? YA THINK YER TOO GOOD FER A LIL GOOD OL FASHIONED RACE BAITING! THATS TH' CHICAGO WAY

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

Term limits actively encourage empty suit candidates that are purchased by the highest bidder.
How do they encourage that more than no term limits encourage purchasing a candidate as a long term investment

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

YANNO WHATCHER PROBLEM IS? YA THINK YER TOO GOOD FER A LIL GOOD OL FASHIONED RACE BAITING! THATS TH' CHICAGO WAY

who gives a poo poo how ya win, when ya win? sounds like youd rather lose the "right" way than win.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
MIGF is here?????

:swoon:

Missed you, buddy. Still haven't watched that Constant Gardener movie you recommended.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

How do they encourage that more than no term limits encourage purchasing a candidate as a long term investment

do you have any loving idea how political finance works? its all about relations. relations loving change over time! ya gently caress a lobbyist's wife, they catch ya, initiate divorce proceedings, how the gently caress does it matter how many contributions their industry gave ya when they now on an absolute warpath against ya?

like gently caress, so many folk forget that politicians are humans

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

who gives a poo poo how ya win, when ya win? sounds like youd rather lose the "right" way than win.

don't you have a police execution to cover up

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You know, I'll bet we'd win in 2020 if we convinced Donald Trump to run as a Democrat next time. He'd probably do it just for the laugh.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

yanno what works better than fake race baiting? real race baiting. bring back th' dixiecrats, sez i, and we'll never lose an election again

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

My Imaginary GF posted:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

docbeard posted:

You know, I'll bet we'd win in 2020 if we convinced Donald Trump to run as a Democrat next time. He'd probably do it just for the laugh.

Could he run on both tickets, with different VPs?

Trump/Gabbard is more palatable than Trump/Pence, is all I'm saying

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

he said human not whatever that is

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NumberLast posted:

...I now very much want to see Donald Trump debate himself.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Could you actually provide an argument?

Here's a pretty good argument I found:
https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/811956024617955328

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Term limits are bad because without them FDR would still be president.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/811969616863866880

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

daily reminder that rahm adopted all of chuy's policies to save his skin cause rahm is a shook rear end motherfucker who the city hates and is bad

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

NumberLast posted:

No seriously would this be legal?

I need to know for my fanfic

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

reid owns

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

do you have any loving idea how political finance works? its all about relations. relations loving change over time! ya gently caress a lobbyist's wife, they catch ya, initiate divorce proceedings, how the gently caress does it matter how many contributions their industry gave ya when they now on an absolute warpath against ya?

hmm ok but relations change over a faster pace than once every 8 or so years imo so what's the value here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao harry Reid owns when he's not shutting down Yucca Mountain

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Is...Harry Reid, like Obama, bad and cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

jBrereton posted:

It means:
You are never "safe" in your seat, at least not for long, based on building up trust.
You never have time to acquire independent expertise of your own.
Your party needs to constantly provide fresh bodies and I'm not sure if you're aware but they are generally really bad at that.

• Locked thread