Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

power botton posted:

I have a few customers using O365 globally and 0 using Box.

ive worked with at least 3 vendors in the past year that all use box so when they shared folders with me it integrated with my company box account

box is much better than one drive, but that's not saying much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ahmeni posted:

just use slack

can't its blocked in a zillion different ways and also a violation of a bunch of stupid policies

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

abraham linkedin posted:

rereading this and remembering that enterprise computing is an incestuous cesspit of idiot hellfuckers

there's a reason i don't put 'mumps experience' anywhere near my resume :barf:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Merry Christmas thread! I'll be posting from home today, and if all of your deliverables are met feel free to cut out around 2pm tomorrow.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

ive worked with at least 3 vendors in the past year that all use box so when they shared folders with me it integrated with my company box account

box is much better than one drive, but that's not saying much

onedrive is pretty needs suiting for us so far. we share stuff w/ external people all the time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

Merry Christmas thread! I'll be posting from home today, and if all of your deliverables are met feel free to cut out around 2pm tomorrow.
Also here's a large complex task that i'd like to be mostly finished by the new year. I'll be unavailable for comments or clarification as I'm literally on the tarmac about to fly off to an island with no cell reception, see you on Jan 2nd!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

At a previous employer the IT policies were stupid strict. Like, the process to move something to the cloud would take so long the person who was running the project would quit before it happened and then it would just die. Also, I was there for 5 years, saw 2 CIOs and 3 CISOs.

What departments started doing was just implementing stuff, moving production over, decomission the old system and then wait to get in poo poo. Eventually audit or risk would find out that they switched without following the correct processes and get in trouble, be told to move off the cloud until an assessment was completed, only to come back with the fact that they couldn't and that they'll submit an in place assessment and make the recommended fixes a priority.

This is how we got poo poo like:

- Workday (SAP wasn't happy about this shadow project especially since they were in contract negotiations with SAP to renew when Workday went live/prod, they literally paid private contractors to migrate the data so SAP wouldn't know about it)
- Slack
- Skype for Mobile
- AWS for some sites
- ActiveID for phones (tokens on your phone!)
- Box (or dropbox I can't remember)

And stuff I've since forgotten.

thank you for this thread btw, its super cathartic

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

minivanmegafun posted:

Skype for Bae

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

holy loly my last company moved everything to onedrive, completely mandatory. me and like six other people were told to add our stuff to a file and provided a link. i check it and it tells me the destination doesn't exist because that's the message it gives when someone else is editing the file

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Does OneDrive still have a list of file types/suffixes you can't store (including Office templates)? because lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

At a previous employer the IT policies were stupid strict. Like, the process to move something to the cloud would take so long the person who was running the project would quit before it happened and then it would just die. Also, I was there for 5 years, saw 2 CIOs and 3 CISOs.

What departments started doing was just implementing stuff, moving production over, decomission the old system and then wait to get in poo poo. Eventually audit or risk would find out that they switched without following the correct processes and get in trouble, be told to move off the cloud until an assessment was completed, only to come back with the fact that they couldn't and that they'll submit an in place assessment and make the recommended fixes a priority.

This is how we got poo poo like:

- Workday (SAP wasn't happy about this shadow project especially since they were in contract negotiations with SAP to renew when Workday went live/prod, they literally paid private contractors to migrate the data so SAP wouldn't know about it)
- Slack
- Skype for Mobile
- AWS for some sites
- ActiveID for phones (tokens on your phone!)
- Box (or dropbox I can't remember)

And stuff I've since forgotten.

thank you for this thread btw, its super cathartic

lol

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
my company seems to be trying to use basecamp to do some organizational stuff

i hate it

my father in law is using Slack for organizing development of content for an app that my wife is helping with. I looked at it briefly and it's 1000x better but unfortunately no person in my company would understand how to use it. Like, as a person who codes some, it makes total sense. but these poor PMs and the construction leads would NEVER get the hang of it, so i'm just keeping my mouth shut.

plus there is that tendency at our company to do over-drive on organizational concepts so then you are doing 3 times the work documenting a simple thing in a completely unnecessary way.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
my company rolled out onedrive a while ago and it's not bad? i mean i strictly use it for my own storage, and not a lot of that. but then i'm also not using it to share files or anything.

otoh my perceptions may be off kilter in this regard because prior to this our infosec team would only let us use their own preferred app which was some slow as poo poo web based form thing that was a constant pain in the rear end to use at all times, requiring logins for each session (can't do that native windows poo poo), etc. and in spite of being marketed to employees as a way to get files to offsite vendors, this always involved so many hoops that just emailing the loving files was more reliable.

this was not helped by the fact that collaboration with division partners was not really feasible with this tool, so our one division let us in to their instance of Box for a particular project, at which point the grass got so loving green over that fence that we started getting executive-level encouragement to ignore infosec at which point we could reveal that we had rogue installs of dropbox all over the place anyway.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 23, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

my company is rolling out a hybrid/homebrewed EOS and teal combo

the "barely able to grasph slack" chat and other stuff reminded me of this. fuckin check that poo poo out and lol

one of the teal books cites valve as a good example - whcih i like valve and their org structure but you gotta be real picky about who you hire into the club for it to work luckly we are only 25 people big so we can do culty poo poo like this and get the koolaid to taste p good to everyone involved

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

googled it to see how hard it is to find info and woweee. its like dr ford is giving motivational speaches to management

quote:

The most exciting breakthroughs of the twenty-first century will not occur because of technology, but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human.
John Naisbitt

The Teal paradigm refers to the next stage in the evolution of human consciousness.[1] When applied to organizations, this paradigm views the organization as an independent force with its own purpose, and not merely as a vehicle for achieving management's objectives. Teal organizations are characterized by self-organization and self-management. The hierarchical "predict and control" pyramid of Orange is replaced with a decentralized structure consisting of small teams that take responsibility for their own governance and for how they interact with other parts of the organization. Assigned positions and job descriptions are replaced with a multiplicity of roles, often self-selected and fluid. People’s actions are guided not by orders from someone up the chain of command but by ‘listening’ to the organization’s purpose. Unlike the highly static nature of Amber, Orange and Green organizations, the organizational structure in Teal is characterized by rapid change and adaptation, as adjustments are continuously made to better serve the organization's purpose.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seems predicated on the idea of work being the thing you live for

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ho-lol-ocracy

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

seems predicated on the idea of work being the thing you live for

"do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"
-a goddamned dumbfuck moron

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"
-a goddamned dumbfuck moron

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the closest thing were doing to anything even vaguely modern is rolling out a project life cycle management suite of tools which is certain to be a horrific pile of rear end that were paying a deece eight figgies for and I cannot loving wait for it to be just as terrible as the fresh hell of a share point dumping ground that it is replacing / n+1ing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we will likely continue to not have a slack /hipchat /usable communication tool

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
as webshit goes slack is p freakin deece, but the best thing about plain irc is that the executives and product managers will never use it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

JewKiller 3000 posted:

as webshit goes slack is p freakin deece, but the best thing about plain irc is that the executives and product managers will never use it

setup a znc bouncer and your half way to slack but nobody else benefits

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

my father in law is using Slack for organizing development of content for an app that my wife is helping with. I looked at it briefly and it's 1000x better but unfortunately no person in my company would understand how to use it. Like, as a person who codes some, it makes total sense. but these poor PMs and the construction leads would NEVER get the hang of it, so i'm just keeping my mouth shut.

plus there is that tendency at our company to do over-drive on organizational concepts so then you are doing 3 times the work documenting a simple thing in a completely unnecessary way.

My former employer was one of if not the largest slack team (over 10k members, plus at least 3 other teams for the company) and our PMs didn't have that much of an issue with it. If you're not trying to set up bots, API stuff or doing crazy formatting of text it's a pretty intuitive chat client.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
idk, most of the time in our case it's literally better to get people in a room together to go over physical paper. Sad, unfortunate truth is that a man who works with wood his whole life and struggles with setting up his smartphone is going to view having to use a PC to communicate as an obstacle rather than a tool.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

watching this unfold in real time at a company is really something. they even have meetings that are meant to be group therapy/couples counseling but they have a much hipper name for them. I think it might only work if everyone involved is required to take hallucinogens regularly. that's to say, the poo poo don't work if egos are involved

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

we are moving to some new tool for documentation in the new year, and the excuses from the team that are running the project are already flowing in. "if you cant store the file type you need in this, just put them in sharepoint and add a link in the comments field". gently caress you, one of the only deliverables this project had was to replace sharepoint.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Thanks Ants posted:

we are moving to some new tool for documentation in the new year, and the excuses from the team that are running the project are already flowing in. "if you cant store the file type you need in this, just put them in sharepoint and add a link in the comments field". gently caress you, one of the only deliverables this project had was to replace sharepoint.

mmmmmmmmmmmm yeah, that brings back some good memories of similar.

it also reminds me of why i've been repeatedly shot down in my suggestions that we as an organization commit to a singular operations wiki.

"well my big concern is that if something changes, like lets say the network team makes us all change IP addresses again, we don't have a single way of editing all of it", and therefore the ops team was asked to rely on 1) sharepoint docs that are even harder to keep integrated, and 2) the knowledgebase in our oft-changed ticketing system.

glad i got out of ops but gently caress if i'm not in the same boat in that regard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"this time we introduce one system to replace three existing ones i swear we will only run all four alongside each other for a short transition period"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

"this time we introduce one system to replace three existing ones i swear we will only run all four alongside each other for a short transition period"

lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Thanks Ants posted:

TOO REAL.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you have n problems, which you'll solve by replacing them with 1 knowledge base

now you have n+1 problems, which you'll solve by replacing them with 1...

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
when i was in ops i spent some time putting together documentation for the help desk, not so that they could fix poo poo, but so that they could classify stuff correctly.

a year or so later my manager suggested i write it up and i pointed out i had. the help desk said they had nothing of the sort.

we went digging around their office and eventually found it in the cabinet where they keep most of their documentation, which is of course locked at all times with a key only their manager had.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

when i was in ops i spent some time putting together documentation for the help desk, not so that they could fix poo poo, but so that they could classify stuff correctly.

a year or so later my manager suggested i write it up and i pointed out i had. the help desk said they had nothing of the sort.

we went digging around their office and eventually found it in the cabinet where they keep most of their documentation, which is of course locked at all times with a key only their manager had.

loving Smooth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mod saas posted:

you have n problems, which you'll solve by replacing them with 1 knowledge base

now you have n+1 problems, which you'll solve by replacing them with 1...

+1

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
that in turn reminds me of another knowledgebase moment. one of the directors had decided to shell out to some consultants, the sort who work independently and will basically claim they can do whatever to latch on to one corporation, to work on the KB poo poo. this morphed into redoing our DR documentation, and so he set up an interview with me about it.

"so what would the timeline be for you to get <big app i will call Blue for the gently caress of it> up and running again?"

"well what kind of a disaster are we talking, really?"

"if the datacenter was gone."

"gone? like, totally flattened? probably years, because aside from the fact that we'd need to find or build a whole new hosting solution before anyone can begin work, I'm completely dependent on <list of other apps including our whole PeopleSoft instance>. Blue can do exactly gently caress-all without those things. and then since that'd mean the content systems are gone, they'd have to rebuild that system and hope they have a recent backup, even though i know for a fact the backups are sketchy as gently caress for that system..."

"ok but no, really."

"no, really. the communications people may literally be in a position where they have to recreate every image and every document from scratch. not that any of that will matter in the least if the login system can't..."

"ok so what if it was just Blue?"

"just Blue? the 16 redundant servers hosting my app all simultaneously evaporate while the whole of the rest of the datacenter is totally ok?"

"no but like the datacenter is gone too"

"... years. I just said..."

"ok fine, just Blue then, it's gone, how long does it take to fix it?"

"i could get the basics up and running in about two weeks AFTER the hardware guys have gotten me access to new servers, and i doubt it would survive the load of the whole corporation..."

"<writes down two weeks> OK GOT IT THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME."

maybe we need a thread for disastrous recovery plans.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jesus lomarfio

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my disaster recovery plan is to burn down the office so there's no record of the lack of a disaster recovery plan

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

my disaster recovery plan is to burn down the office so there's no record of the lack of a disaster recovery plan

My dr plan involves whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I test my dr plan annually :smuggo:

• Locked thread