Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Trastion posted:

What he means by this is start earlier than you think. It is better to hold it in a low heat oven or in a cooler wrapped up for a couple hours than to have everyone waiting to eat because your meat isn't ready.

Yeah that's what I meant, thanks for the clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, I'm using a WSM. I'll probably bump my starting times by about an hour to have more room to wiggle.

honestly, I'd do two hours if you can. pork shoulders can take forever...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Struggling trying to figure out when I'll start my brisket to have it ready for dinner around 6:00. I like the overnight cook but that's probably too far in advance. Should I bite the bullet and get up at 4am-ish and throw it on? I don't have it yet, but I requested the butcher order one around 13-14 lbs. I believe it'll be the biggest brisket I've cooked. First brisket on my 22" WSM.

Will a full ring minion method get me all the way through this cook? do y'all ad lit or unlit charcoal?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
^^^^ Basically the same advice as the other guy, START EARLY and hold it in the cooler/oven if it gets done ahead of schedule. It won't.

Yeah shoulders will stay good for a while. Just don't shred it until guests are about to arrive, or after they do. Let them see it in it's glory before you tear it to shreds. :)

Do you have some thermal gloves or some other meat shredding devices? If not you may want to invest in some. I use some thermal gloves but others use those meat claws and stuff. You can use a couple forks (better with BIG BBQ style forks) but it can be a pain and no heat resistant gloves can burn the fingers a bit.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
How long is too long to hold it though?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

qutius posted:

honestly, I'd do two hours if you can. pork shoulders can take forever...

5am gives me around 13-14 hours to hit a meal time of between 6-7. Should I add another hour and start at 4 then?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

Two weeks.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
For brisket I do a fully loaded Soo's Donut and start the night before, usually around 10 PM if I am serving midday. That is for around a 13-15 pound trimmed brisket.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Am I OK to time it pretty precisely for a ribeye steak? I was planning on smoking for 4-5 hours. It's about 19lbs.

edit: roast, ribeye roast, not steak. Sorry.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 23, 2016

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Got the Slow 'N Sear a few weeks ago as an early Christmas present, and man does this thing turn smoking on a Weber into easy mode. So far, I've done a brisket flat, a whole chicken, a whole turkey, and a rack each of spare and baby back of ribs, all with few to no vent adjustments (weather permitting). The brisket and ribs in particular came out amazing - highly recommended!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

I wrap in foil, towels and put in a cooler. 4 hours later and it's still too hot to handle.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Word. I'll start at midnight tomorrow night for christmas eve dinner.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

IT BURNS posted:

Got the Slow 'N Sear a few weeks ago as an early Christmas present, and man does this thing turn smoking on a Weber into easy mode. So far, I've done a brisket flat, a whole chicken, a whole turkey, and a rack each of spare and baby back of ribs, all with few to no vent adjustments (weather permitting). The brisket and ribs in particular came out amazing - highly recommended!

they're pretty slick! I love mine, even on a super windy day I haven't had to gently caress with the vents much.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm about 3 hours into my first smoke. Some questions:

1. On a WSM are you supposed to use all 3 of the bottom vents together, or do you basically close 2 of them and use a single vent to control temperature?

2. I'm still getting pretty thick white smoke coming out. Is this normal? I completely filled the charcoal chamber with kingsford blue + 3-4 chunks of cherry with the top parts of the wood exposed then removed 1/2 chimney's worth of charcoal to start. I started the 1/2 chimney and let it run for about 5-10 minutes then dumped them into the chamber. I haven't had much problem maintaining close to between 220 and 230 aside from a spike or two. Top vent is completely open, and the bottom has one vent completely open and the rest shut. It is lightly raining and is about 40F outside

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 23, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I closed up 2 of my bottom vents completely, and just manage heat with the remaining 1 vent.

For the thick white smoke, it sounds like from temps and setup that you are probably fine. I'd bet that the "smoke" is actually mostly just steam from the water pan/meat condensing immediately due to how cold the outside temp is.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Trip report - TL;DR not that good but not the worst

Timeline:
4:00 AM - Wake up, put rubs on pork shoulder which were salted the previous day
4:30 AM - Full ring of coal put into WSM and lit using minion method
4:50 AM - 2 ~6.5lb pieces of shoulder go onto bottom rack of WSM. Air temperature is measured at the level of the grommet on new WSMs. One of the shoulders has a probe in it.
11:00 AM - Removed breastbone from spareribs, trimmed fat, added salt + rub.
11:30 AM - Spare ribs go onto top rack of WSM. Racks were cut in half and didn't really fit on the grate without overlapping. Added a couple more chunks of wood
12:00 PM - The rain turns into loving snow. My temps start dipping into the low 200s. I started a short nap and had someone to yell at me if it dropped below 200.
1:30 PM - I start another chimney of charcoal and dump it in. Some of it didn't land in the ring. Temperatures go back up to 220-240. Success
5:30 PM - Pork butt is still showing 172F on the maverick. Watered down sauce goes on the ribs. Rotated the ribs on the grate
6:30 PM - Pulled the ribs from the smoker. Dinner ensues shortly thereafter.
7:00 PM - Mid-dinner the air temp starts dropping below 200 again. I went and poked the coals a little which got it up to 210 for about 10 minutes.
7:30 PM - Removed the shoulders from the smoker as the temps were dropping below 190 with all the vents open. Stuck a mini-thermocouple in and one read 180F and the other read 160F. Cleanup ensues

Results:
I think the ribs varied between okay just a little better than bad. The meat near the bones were mostly OK--not really that tender but not that tough either. The tips varied between really tender to somewhat dry and tough. I am betting a lot of it has to do with what was near the edges of the WSM as well as what was on top/bottom when they overlapped. I did not foil my ribs, and they spent most of the time in the same positions with a little overlap between each half rack.
I haven't actually eaten any of the shoulder, but they look fine. The 160F one is probably fine to be sliced but not pulled, and the 180F one can probably be pulled. Both have a noticeable smoke ring

My takeaways/thoughts:
  • Don't smoke in the winter. It was dark when I started and dark when I ended which sucks. Also it was either lightly raining or snowing the entire time
  • Get St Louis cut spares or back ribs to avoid overlapping. Or buy a rib rack
  • Use the cajunbandit coal ring. I had it but didn't use it and it's a fair amount larger than the stock one. Refilling is actually kind of a pain due to the size of the door and water pan.
  • Water pan does not need to be refilled nearly as aggressively as I was doing. I ended with a near-full pan.

Here's a pic of the 160F shoulder since it looks the nicest even if it may not be the best to eat

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 24, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
toss it in the oven to finish the cook if you're unable to keep the smoker temp high

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
My brisket is already at 180 after 4.5 hours (probe position is probably off tho). My maverick had the temp at 280ish for the first hour or 2... hotter than I meant but I just let it go cause the baby was being fussy. Got her down to 225ish for the last hour or so... 220 now actually. Seems to be going fast but maybe the stall will come back to bite me.

E: actually closer to 170 in middle... moved probe and double checked with instant

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 24, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I got one of these for Christmas:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013T93TDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uTiyybGVFNQTP

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Wow, that's a steal. If it's any good I may have to pick one up. Throw a rib roast on there and let us know how it worked out!

I got a bunch of BBQ stuff myself:
  • Looftlighter
  • Little Griddle Kettle-Q
  • Lots of rubs and sauces (Meat Mitch, Booty Rub, Three Little Pigs, etc)
  • Frogmats
  • Weber grill extender (think Hovergrill)
  • Arteflame grate replacement for my Weber 22.5" grills (this is really cool, can't wait to give it a shot)

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 26, 2016

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
3F outside and I have my Broil King KEG nailed at 268F (adjusted for elevation) with a hefty brisket cap inside. Did not feel confident doing the flat when this cold out, so I chopped it off and froze it, but now that I see my smoker temp is rock steady where I want it I kind of wish I had done the opposite and froze the cap. I am happy with how this is starting off and really the only downside is it is just my wife and I, a huge cap, and she only likes smoked meat so much.

Thank god for my iQ damper control.

edit: and windless days

Edit2: Foiled at 156F (stall began), and shut her back up tight again. Unfortunately all that oxygen caused the smoker to crank to 300F. At least it is a constant 300F :)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 26, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

In need of a good chicken wing recipe. Just got my first smoker and want to try something quick/easy with wings.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I would never smoke wings. Thread is low and slow and wings really should be high and fast.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fog Tripper posted:

I would never smoke wings. Thread is low and slow and wings really should be high and fast.

You can smoke high and fast, though? I've done wings a bunch of times, and while high and fast may not be the explicit topic of the thread, making wings in the smoker is a perfectly viable option.
If you freeze them before, you can give them a nice hint of smoke, and then dump in a load of charcoal at the end to finish them off and get the skin nice and crispy.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've smoked wings in the past with good success. I usually just toss them in some rub and put them on there and cook around 250 until I'm getting a good temp read.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I do wings in my Weber kettles Vortex-style - I don't have a Vortex (gotta get one, more toys!), but I load the coals up in the Weber charcoal baskets, set them in the middle, then place the wings all around the outside of the grate. I get those coals as hot as I can and blast the wings for 45 minutes to an hour, turning the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes or so. I set a chunk of wood in the centre of the grate directly above the coals. The wings come out crispy and awesome every time with great flavour.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Even smoking wings for an hour or two in an electric smoker and finishing them over propane tastes great and is an improvement over just grilling them.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I do them in a salt and pepper rub at 275-300 until they are done. If I do them in the WSM I usually need to roll them around on the grill a bit to give the skin a little extra pop, but if I do them in my offset I just let them finish on the rack right next to the fire box and the skin gets perfect that way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cold smoke those wings

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You can smoke high and fast, though? I've done wings a bunch of times, and while high and fast may not be the explicit topic of the thread, making wings in the smoker is a perfectly viable option.
If you freeze them before, you can give them a nice hint of smoke, and then dump in a load of charcoal at the end to finish them off and get the skin nice and crispy.

Yeah I guess you could smoke them for flavor and then blast to cook them.
When I do wings I just chuck them on a hot grill with a couple chunks. Then again I smother in Franks afterward.
:shrug: More grilling than smoking.

-----------------------------------------------

How do folks normally smoke liquid? Wide pan for more surface area or just stir every so often? Was considering experimenting with honey.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

When I do wings on the WSM smoker I brine, smoke for about an hour and a half, drop the grate down on top of the coals and finish the wings there to get grill marks and crisp the skin. I've not been able to get them as crispy as I want but they aren't that rubbery chicken low and slow tends to produce.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smoked Turkey -

Rub:
• 1T paprika
• 1t smoked paprika
• 1/2t black pepper
• 1/2t ground mustard seed
• 1/2t ground coriander
• 1/4t cayenne
• 1t garlic powder
• 1t onion powder
• 2T (40g) brown sugar
Seasoning:
1/4c diamond kosher + 1T baking powder, spread liberally all over (I did three days before cooking)

I made a jus by throwing the backbone, neck, wingtips in pan with 2 onions, some celery, and carrots then pour in 2-3Qt boiling water before putting the bird on (you can see it in the pic above under the bird).

I smoked indirect with legs hanging out towards the fire at 330F and it took 1:40m (pulled when coldest part of breast hit 150). Used about 1 lb of apple and hickory chunks (50/50) I was definitely impressed that the breast was done around the same time the legs were going to 175 or so. And the skin was crisp!! Would spatchcock again:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I've been reading through Aaron Franklin's book and it really has me day dreaming about opening up my own bbq place. Has anyone in here been to Franklin BBQ? The cynic in me wonders if his bbq is actually that good or if he just lucked out by getting the right amount of hype in the right location.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It actually is that good.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

lifts cats over head posted:

I've been reading through Aaron Franklin's book and it really has me day dreaming about opening up my own bbq place. Has anyone in here been to Franklin BBQ? The cynic in me wonders if his bbq is actually that good or if he just lucked out by getting the right amount of hype in the right location.

I have never been there to try it. However, I live in a place where people love Dickies and Panda Express. Everytime I bring in homemade food that I learned to cook back east, people gush with compliments. I could easily make a fortune here if I knew anything about the restaurant business.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

It is that good, and it's in a hype feedback loop because of the quality. The only downfall is the incredibly well managed line of easy going, generally happy people hanging out for 5 hours before they eat.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I will chip in and say like everyone else that it is that good. What's really impressive to me is how consistent he is with his BBQ. I really wish I had a chance to try the turkey as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They also sell beer in line before they open if you run out. The neighborhood rented chairs, people are playing cornhole, kids passing footballs. It's like tailgating but instead of seeing a lovely UT team you get delicious BBQ.

Also I don't know if it's like this now but when I went a few years ago he was there and came out to talk BBQ with me and showed me the smokers. It was cool and neat.

The brisket is amazing. I really liked the turkey and it serves a nice way to break up the other meats. Basically everything but the ribs for me. I've had much better ribs for whatever reason. I also like his Carolina style sauce. All 3 are good. You can buy them bottled at HEB if you want to get bigger bottles to go.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. I live in Austin and have done the Franklin line 4 times now.

It really, truly is actually worthy of all of the hype. I wasn't expecting it to be, and I got dragged out by friends to sit out at 6:30am on a cold and rainy Saturday morning the first time. I was pretty cranky by the time I got food, but holy poo poo.

There's plenty of discussion about it in the Austin YCS thread if you want to go through the finer points, but my TLDR is below:

Brisket: The star of the show. The lean is better than any brisket I've had anywhere else, but the moist pretty much pushed the boundaries of how good I thought something could possibly taste. It's the beefiest thing you will ever taste. The fat is perfectly rendered so you don't get the fatty bubble gum thing. Salted a lot, jussssstttt under "too salty", and a good hit of black pepper. Without any hesitation, my favorite thing that I have ever eaten.

Pork Ribs: Lives in the shadow of the brisket, so are completely overlooked, but these are also the best pork ribs I have ever had anywhere. They are done in the central Texas style too, heavy on the pepper, so not like your normal pork-loving states' fare.

Sausage: Really disappointing actually. I get a solitary link every time I go hoping that it gets better, but it never has. Very little snap, not enough fat, grainy and kinda dry.

Turkey: I love smoked turkey, and this is very good smoked turkey. That being said, the best possible turkey is not 50% as good as the brisket and ribs here are, so kind of a waste. Get a 1/4lb to try it out, but it's really not worth the stomach space on a trip to Franklin.

Pulled pork: drat good, but again pales in comparison to the brisket and ribs. I can make pulled pork that's 99% this good myself, so I don't both with much on a trip to Franklin.

Sauces: All top notch as far as sauces go,. The vinegar sauce for the pork is a standout.

(Edit) Sides: As evidenced by the edit, totally forgettable. The beans are okay,the slaw is okay, the potato salad is pretty good. I don't know if they are actually mediocre, or they are amazingly good for what they are, but just being compared to the meats they cannot keep up. Either way, you didn't wait 5 hours for potato salad.

The Line: It can be bad. Don't go in thinking about it as "I have to wait in line for 5 hours for food." Go with friends and enjoy the novelty of hanging out and drinking beer starting at 7am. If it's the weekend, you really do want to be there by 6:30 to get a spot in the shade, and guarantee you get all the meats.

Summer is the worst time to go because of both the heat, and UT is out of session. Going on a Tues/Wed/Thurs during the school year is WAY better. You can get there at 10, still get a spot in the shade and get food by 12:30. I went this September on a Tuesday, showed up at 7:00am because I thought I had to, but was the second person in line. Shade didn't fill up until 10:15ish, and by the time we were done eating at 12, the line was probably only 45 minutes before serving. My friends were a little pissed that I got them up there that early unnecessarily.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Worst time to go is sxsw or ACL imo. Even with the kids out of session for sxsw it's pretty bad.