Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

how dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A question for the moderators, why does SA attract people with such powerful mental disturbances? That post above reads like some of Schmorkys exs stuff when she was in peak flow.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
i know that it is all mental illness and that one expression of it isn't really more sad & serious than another, but i like the kind of delusions that people had back in the old days better, where people thought they were Napoleon and they were conquering the world, instead of delusions that centres around online forums and video games. the scope was just grander.

it is like that one Lucid Dreaming Megathread where goons were trying to get themselves to be able to dream anything that's possible, and everyone was having trouble visuazling themselves chopping firewood. it just puts a damper of the whole concept of the limitless power of imagination.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TTerrible posted:

A question for the moderators, why does SA attract people with such powerful mental disturbances? That post above reads like some of Schmorkys exs stuff when she was in peak flow.
SA built itself on a counter-counterculture designed in response to the rest of the internet. For most of its history, SA has defined itself by not being like [popular website]. This means we attract people who don't feel connected to those other sites, and some of them are extremely isolated mentally ill people like Dare.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

SA built itself on a counter-counterculture designed in response to the rest of the internet. For most of its history, SA has defined itself by not being like [popular website]. This means we attract people who don't feel connected to those other sites, and some of them are extremely isolated mentally ill people like Dare.

I can see that. They don't seem to take refuge though, it seems we're ripe for being woven into dillusions as a gathering place for all those who conspire against them. Be it a paedophile ring backed by global illuminati zionists or we're all secret puppet accounts of Tribes players.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TTerrible posted:

I can see that. They don't seem to take refuge though, it seems we're ripe for being woven into dillusions as a gathering place for all those who conspire against them. Be it a paedophile ring backed by global illuminati zionists or we're all secret puppet accounts of Tribes players.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Hehe I get it! It's funny because you posted the guy's avatar.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
What do you have against Gary Oldman.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rear end posted:

Hehe I get it! It's funny because you posted the guy's avatar.

It's a funny avatar, so I thought I'd post it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Avshalom posted:

i love vilepilot, he's still around but is apparently receiving treatment now so his bad behaviour is limited to constantly posting in creative convention about this really bad animation of kafka's metamorphosis that he's been making for like ten years now with no apparent progress whatsoever, it looks like a playstation 1 game and the threads usually last about an hour before vp gets furious about goons dissing his magnum opus and gets it all gassed. he doesn't make threads constantly but i've seen him post this weird plastic nonsense and rants about his artistic integrity about a dozen times now and it's hilarious every time

You're welcome. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Friendly Humour posted:

It's a funny avatar, so I thought I'd post it.

I'm not gonna lie I didn't even see the :gary: (or is it :yarg:) until you posted the avatar inline :v:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not gonna lie I didn't even see the :gary: (or is it :yarg:) until you posted the avatar inline :v:

What's the story behind that smiley anyway? Is it some convoluted Derek Smart in-joke?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HorseRenoir posted:

What's the story behind that smiley anyway? Is it some convoluted Derek Smart in-joke?

Star citizen people paid millions to get gary oldman in the game that will never exist.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Star citizen people paid millions to get gary oldman in the game that will never exist.

Didn't he pull out of that project too?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TTerrible posted:

we're all secret puppet accounts of Tribes players.

But I amwas a Tribes player. Does that mean I'm the puppet or the puppet-master?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skoll posted:

Didn't he pull out of that project too?

Allegedly because of the use of his image. CIG released the unedited mocap unwrap that got used in a ton of unflattering edits. Like the ones in my avatar and on the front page of SA. :v:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

the front page of SA

I want to say it so bad....

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Well there's an obvious forums question. Is it still bannable to make dumb jokes about SA's frontpage and when's the last time someone was banned for that joke?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Is there some sort of "event-log" for forums use?
For example, could you tell if someone clicked a subforum, shitposted, and didn't once click the rule thread?

:tinfoil:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ruflux posted:

Well there's an obvious forums question. Is it still bannable to make dumb jokes about SA's frontpage and when's the last time someone was banned for that joke?

I doubt most of us care, but if Lowtax sees it then he might reflexively ban you.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Quote is not edit.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ruflux posted:

Haha, yeah. Of all places, I'm not gonna say it where I know a dozen mods/admins are gonna see it.

Shine posted:

I doubt most of us care, but if Lowtax sees it then he might reflexively ban you.
So it's a $10 gamble basically, even a mod having a bad day can still probably get a ban thrown down?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Everything is chaos.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Front... Page?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

Everything is chaos.

I like to think of it as the "Life Is Perilously Unfair" clause

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

weak wrists big dick posted:

For example, could you tell if someone clicked a subforum, shitposted, and didn't once click the rule thread?

They wouldn't check it if it existed bc it doesn't matter.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

weak wrists big dick posted:

No, and we don't need that kind of paper trail to probate somebody for being a shithead, anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What if it was a really good shitpost (where 'good' is of course subject to the fickle whims of the mod/admin in question)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I hate you all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think people should read/enjoy the front page more, and I still have some vague idea of wanting to increase poster participation with it, but also I think it's cool if people make fun of that President Baby guy, because I'm p. sure he sucks and I don't like his posts. That's right, the admins are corrupt, and we target people, and we're vindictive in all the ways you thought we were. That's just Something Is Awful Dot Com, baby!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think people should read/enjoy the front page more, and I still have some vague idea of wanting to increase poster participation with it, but also I think it's cool if people make fun of that President Baby guy, because I'm p. sure he sucks and I don't like his posts. That's right, the admins are corrupt, and we target people, and we're vindictive in all the ways you thought we were. That's just Something Is Awful Dot Com, baby!

i check it weekly to see which threads have been chosen for the goldmine and photohop friday

sometimes there are good threads that i've missed

and lol that president baby guy is bad

didn't he even have a meltdown somewhere when people told him that he's bad?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

He's constantly melting down over twitter, and he's not even in office.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's constantly melting down over twitter, and he's not even in office.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

i check it weekly to see which threads have been chosen for the goldmine and photohop friday

sometimes there are good threads that i've missed

I remember an article a while back where he asked posters to submit something for the front page if they didn't like his stuff, did anything come of that?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really would like to have some option to enable showing latest front page articles in my control panel since that's the page I usually open first when reading the forums. The articles are really really good and funny, but I think they just don't get enough prominence outside the page very few people open when checking the forums.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I remember an article a while back where he asked posters to submit something for the front page if they didn't like his stuff, did anything come of that?

no idea, i don't click his stuff anymore

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
How many moderators/admins here were, or are, moderators of other forums as well? I'm kind of curious because I've done it twice elsewhere and think back on it with a "yeah that was enough" kind of thing. The fact that moderators can last like a decade here kind of confuses me; the fact that Lowtax is still a marginally functional human being is just one of the mysteries of the universe. I think I spent three years as a moderator or administrator of a forum and find that it's frequently a thankless, dreadful job.

Then again they were also not on forums that had a paywall for posting or as aggressively moderated as this one.

How often do moderators here get threatened with lawsuits? If it happens at all what's the most bafflingly stupid one?

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 25, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How many moderators/admins here were, or are, moderators of other forums as well? I'm kind of curious because I've done it twice elsewhere and think back on it with a "yeah that was enough" kind of thing. The fact that moderators can last like a decade here kind of confuses me; the fact that Lowtax is still a marginally functional human being is just one of the mysteries of the universe. I think I spent three years as a moderator or administrator of a forum and find that it's frequently a thankless, dreadful job.
Trad Games mod Ettin also moderates, or used to, another trad gaming website, RPG.net.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I used to admin a paintball forum for a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I used to moderate a The Thing fan website forum.

• Locked thread