Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

All three of them are precious and wonderful and I hope they're all happy forever.

Yayaka is at least in BFF for life territory for the other 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cocona, papika, yayaka, fist bumps, wedding dress armor yeah they're all great but, i think we need to look at the real important scene this episode

DR. HIDAKA WITHOUT HIS GLASSES

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So Papika really is like 30 years old huh?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

So Papika really is like 30 years old huh?

Eh. The way I see it, being de-aged and losing her memories is basically the same thing as being reborn as a new person who then fell in love with Cocona. It's not like she's ever been framed as an older person than Cocona mentally. Even after regaining her Papikana memories, it comes off like her more recent memories are the stronger part of her current personality.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh. The way I see it, being de-aged and losing her memories is basically the same thing as being reborn as a new person who then fell in love with Cocona. It's not like she's ever been framed as an older person than Cocona mentally. Even after regaining her Papikana memories, it comes off like her more recent memories are the stronger part of her current personality.

Yeah that's how I see it. She's got a sort of reincarnation thing going on.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
They still haven't made it clear why she's a young amnesiac though. As far as I can tell it's just "Magic happened because PLOT".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pavlov posted:

They still haven't made it clear why she's a young amnesiac though. As far as I can tell it's just "Magic happened because PLOT".

Yeah I was sort of expecting them to get around to that. Presumably that shoe will drop next episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

...Spoiler warning, literally any answer the show can give you at this point will be reducable to "Magic happened because PLOT." Like, I had just been assuming that whatever magic explosion poo poo broke Mimi also broke Papikana, just in a different way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Spoiler warning, literally any answer the show can give you at this point will be reducable to "Magic happened because PLOT."

Well, we briefly see her in the same kind of crystal thing that Cocona was imprisoned in. Maybe that caused it?

I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be some master plan by non-evil,original Mimi to protect her daughter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, we briefly see her in the same kind of crystal thing that Cocona was imprisoned in. Maybe that caused it?

I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be some master plan by non-evil,original Mimi to protect her daughter.

Papika was already a child in that shot, though. Anything's possible, but I'll be really surprised if she didn't revert immediately after she tackled Mimi before they exploded.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have the ultimate plan to protect my daughter, and all it requires is my best friend being reborn into a child to become my daughter's ultimate wife

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

daily dose

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Colonel posted:

i have the ultimate plan to protect my daughter, and all it requires is my best friend being reborn into a child to become my daughter's ultimate wife

look you come up with some wild ideas when you can literally make dreams real

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
re: the credits being huge, apparently oshiyama has been pretty open about how they've needed tons of help getting these last four episodes done on twitter, if you can read japanese

and there was also this https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/811604021207105536

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even Mob lent a hand

https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/811754916410585088

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope Reigen isn't too worried about Mob getting involved with FlipFlap

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Parmetan/status/812034113800728576

I bet Yayaka is going through some COMPLICATED emotions right now.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I did notice a weird bit of still animation in the middle of 12 and was hoping that we aren't running into another Benmashi Cecil situation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not uncommon for shows to hit these kinds of production issues, we're just lucky they ran into them at the final stretch and not four episodes in, especially for oshiyama's first stint as a series director

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. Everything I've watched this year that hasn't been made by KyoAni has had SOME kind of rough patch to it. The show's still got great art direction and the big scenes still look good, so it's not really a big deal to me.

I WILL be interested to see what the blu-ray versions look like after additional time to finish some cuts and do touchups and such.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Pyronic posted:

was hoping that we aren't running into another Benmashi Cecil situation.
Hopefully things aren't THAT bad and they will finish the episode on time.

And this show was quite ahead in terms of schedule too.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 22, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think there's too much to worry about because it's clear that despite whatever trouble they've hit in these last four episodes, this show is a bit of a passion project for everyone involved and i doubt they're going to let it end off with anything but a bang. bigger shows have hit worse production troubles earlier on, i'm confident they'll be able to manage

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

Yeah on further reflection it's a bit silly.

Papika's love is genuine AND she wants to fulfil her promise to Mimi.

EDIT: \/ all of their outfits have had a butterfly-like motif. Especially the ones in this episode.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 23, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
No comments about Yayaka's henshin being a butterfly? You're off your game Nox!

Also the keyframes in the episode preview show the return of GAR Uexkull

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that's how I see it. She's got a sort of reincarnation thing going on.

I like it as some small vindication about my early observations that Papika is kinda like a Time Lord.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cool, after seeing some shows end with pretty disappointing reactions this season, to see pretty much everyone who's been into the direction of the second half of flip flappers shouting "holy poo poo"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it's cool, after seeing some shows end with pretty disappointing reactions this season, to see pretty much everyone who's been into the direction of the second half of flip flappers shouting "holy poo poo"

Yeah. The show definitely seems to have been extremely hit or miss with the critics, but the people its hit with have been hit SUPER hard.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cocona resembles her mother, and Mimi turned out to be straight. I can't fault Papika on that front.

Circumstances just kinda worked in her favor from there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not crying, you're crying.

https://twitter.com/illegenes/status/812159624241549312?s=09

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"So I'm not afraid anymore!
You finally squeezed my hand in return-
I'll never let go of this hand that joins us."

:kimchi::unsmith::kimchi:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

also

https://twitter.com/FLIP_FLAPPERS/status/811930627465326592?s=09

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like that the twins have come around in the last episode. With the older sister getting a truly awesome angry face at her brother getting hurt again and then telling the Hoodman to gently caress off.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Been forgetting to post this for a week now, then had to stay away til I caught the new episode...

Every time Cocona is on the boat, there's a song that plays that sounded so drat familiar. I finally tracked down the doppelganger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyRkWSpagis

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Spiritus Nox posted:

"So I'm not afraid anymore!
You finally squeezed my hand in return-
I'll never let go of this hand that joins us."

:kimchi::unsmith::kimchi:
The ED lyrics are also super :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OagAquBVprA

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like that the twins have come around in the last episode. With the older sister getting a truly awesome angry face at her brother getting hurt again and then telling the Hoodman to gently caress off.

I like how after his whole organization got mulched everybody is just totally ignoring that guy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the best part was that they were inspired by Yayaka's rebellion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best face turn was NyuNyu just randomly bumming around with Salt for no reason other than boredom.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's hard to beat somebody up with yayaka in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7W09g1TMk

That didn't take long.

• Locked thread