Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

what youre telling me is that ee's are dicks and make this poo poo hard just to torture us poor codetouchers

I think he is telling us that EE's sometimes take major pain to make life easy on codetouchers. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i need a web app that can run offline, is javascript my only option?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

prefect posted:

i need to find a reason to write a bunch of java, because trying to re-learn this stupid poo poo when i have to deal with it is too frustrating :(

the reason is: it's good.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Xarn posted:

Still? Hasnt that been in effect fir the last year or so.

Possibly. Their site says they stopped opening new accounts for OpenShift V2 on "August 1," but they don't give a year. The blog post describing how to use OpenShift in Ceylon is from last November, though. Always nice to come across something that looks neat like that and then turns out to be a bust!

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

eschaton posted:

S Y M B O L I C S

That's a little wacky. I don't know lisp well enough to understand how that could accelerate things, but I believe that those people knew what they were doing.

Under what circumstances did you learn about Symbolics' machine code? Hobby? Used to work there?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

eschaton posted:

oh holy gently caress what are you using SunCC and Sun Studio for

I spent a while a year ago trying to find a version I could run on my SPARCstation 20 and in retrospect was kind of happy that my only choice was really a contributed GCC build, and that I could probably resuscitate the LLVM/clang SPARC support if I really wanted a more modern compiler

I think I've said in here that our current production hardware (though we're very very close to burning that poo poo in a bonfire forever) is a 15 year old Solaris SPARC box

Well that poo poo issolaris allllll the way dooowwwnnnn

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I took notes while I was converting our main software to linux/intel/gcc on the stupid bullshit outright code mistakes that suncc allows you to get away with, i should see if i can dig up that list for high comedy yosposting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also while I'm here I'll repeat that until about six months ago the team (and I) had been using IBM/Rational Clearcase for versioning for the last decade

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

i need a web app that can run offline, is javascript my only option?
you could package a web server with your distribution, otherwise probably, yeah.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you could package a web server with your distribution, otherwise probably, yeah.

is the idea here that i spoof a server on the client's machine that the app will post back to if the remote one is unavailable?

e: wait if i'm doing this then i may as well run a normal executable and that kinda defeats the purpose huh?

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ciaphas posted:

also while I'm here I'll repeat that until about six months ago the team (and I) had been using IBM/Rational Clearcase for versioning for the last decade

would you believe ibm has something even worse internally?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'd be more surprised if they didn't tbh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

is the idea here that i spoof a server on the client's machine that the app will post back to if the remote one is unavailable?

i mean, i've never done it, because at that point why not just write a native application. but i guess i can imagine a reason for it.

running a web server on a client machine is probably a bad idea though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if your target's web browser is new enough then uh i guess you'd use service workers and poo poo

and localstorage of course

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
remember to use -webkit-poo poo, -moz-poo poo and -ms-poo poo because the w3c poo poo specification was only just finalized and also the moz implementation is only compliant with the penultimate draft specification right now

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

loving w3c is the worst

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

I took notes while I was converting our main software to linux/intel/gcc on the stupid bullshit outright code mistakes that suncc allows you to get away with, i should see if i can dig up that list for high comedy yosposting

One Open Sores project I use has an open PR to support SunStudio 11 and 12. Some of those commits made my jaw drop.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

use jcup and jlex to write a compiler! that was the most fun i had with java. challenge: write a ruby->python transpiler or something equally worthless and strange.

honestly just writing your own little language would probably be p cool and good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hell yeah, i wrote a reader for interleaved IFF format images and set up a linked list of bitmaps with unique IDs for my game engine to look up

thankfully commodore supplied a library for parsing IFF files with amigaos that does all the heavy lifting, i just had to figure out how pointers to pointers and everything work lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Xarn posted:

I think he is telling us that EE's sometimes take major pain to make life easy on codetouchers. :v:

yes, because allowing the PC to increment backwards makes things easier on code touchers...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xarn posted:

One Open Sores project I use has an open PR to support SunStudio 11 and 12. Some of those commits made my jaw drop.

yeah those are.... pretty bad!

most of my problems came from the other direction though, code written in sun studio that was absolutely 100% invalid c/c++ but it compiled anyway and it just happened to work, when g++ immediately goes into full wtfm8 mode

just wish I could remember some examples / find my notes because some of them were similarly jaw dropping

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

eschaton posted:

yes, because allowing the PC to increment backwards makes things easier on code touchers...

x86 asm is weird, annoying and poo poo to write in. x86 as a platform bends over backwards to make stuff easier on people who don't write ASM. :shrug:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

meatpotato posted:

That's a little wacky. I don't know lisp well enough to understand how that could accelerate things, but I believe that those people knew what they were doing.

Under what circumstances did you learn about Symbolics' machine code? Hobby? Used to work there?

hobby, I do Lisp and LispM stuff in general for fun, I own a Symbolics XL400 know several others with various kinds of LispM hardware too as well as people hacking on emulation and so on

last year I included a Compute Stick configured to boot straight to a TI Explorer emulator with my yosmas gift

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have GCC 2.9.5 installed on the Amiga but I've never used it since it's from 1998 and just came with the IDE I downloaded so I don't know how well it actually works

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i still can't believe someone wrote a google drive filesystem driver for 68k amigas

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

HoboMan posted:

loving w3c is the worst

w3c is mostly irrelevant now. the whatwg specs are what browsers actually implement.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

is w3c still whacking off over the semantic web and other poo poo that will never happen?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the alt-right are trying to end the semitic web

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Plorkyeran posted:

w3c is mostly irrelevant now. the whatwg specs are what browsers actually implement.

tbf this is because the whatwg decided to just write down what browsers actually do, so it's kind of trivially the case

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

pokeyman posted:

tbf this is because the whatwg decided to just write down what browsers actually do, so it's kind of trivially the case

that was only how they started. new features mostly aren't developed by a browser vendor just shipping something and then going "hey we did this add it to the spec".

(only mostly because chrome does do that sometimes)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
fetch is pretty sweet, it's like xmlhttprequest for humans

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have GCC 2.9.5 installed on the Amiga but I've never used it since it's from 1998 and just came with the IDE I downloaded so I don't know how well it actually works

i did half my phd coding using gcc 2.9.5 (the other half was matlab)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ahmeni posted:

fetch is pretty sweet, it's like xmlhttprequest for humans

xhr isn't too bad if you wrap it up in a promise but yeah, fetch is cool.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Xarn posted:

x86 asm is weird, annoying and poo poo to write in. x86 as a platform bends over backwards to make stuff easier on people who don't write ASM. :shrug:

lea esi, [ebp+yourposts]
lea edi, [ebp+gaschamber]
mov ecx, size yourposts
rep movsb

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

New job status: trying to understand completely undocumented crazy code that even includes C++17 pieces. Money making software maintained by two twenty-somethings that does not build out-of-the-box, zero monitoring, far too many sleep statements. Initially it was allegedly targeting performance but with multiple maps being referenced by every request and request data never being purged it clearly is not now. The hardware follows the software, I have an 8 core Xeon workstation with 32GB ram, a $50 HDD, 4×1080p 27" monitors (HP SV27 ~$200 each) and is running CentOS 7. I cannot even use the nVidia drivers on the dual Quadro 2000 cards because the driver and Xorg hates that two are using HDMI and the other two DVI or something, Nouveau doesn't care.

Configuration is stored in MySQL and for no sensible reason orders are stored pretty much write-only in both MySQL and Cassandra.

IDE of choice is QtCreator. They do have Slack, but email is Rackspace hosted Exchange.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 23, 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MrMoo posted:

New job status: trying to understand completely undocumented crazy code that even includes C++17 pieces. Money making software maintained by two twenty-somethings that does not build out-of-the-box, zero monitoring, far too many sleep statements. Initially it was allegedly targeting performance but with multiple maps being referenced by every request and request data never being purged it clearly is not now. The hardware follows the software, I have an 8 core Xeon workstation with 32GB ram, a $50 HDD, 4×1080p 27" monitors (HP SV27 ~$200 each) and is running CentOS 7. I cannot even use the nVidia drivers on the dual Quadro 2000 cards because the driver and Xorg hates that two are using HDMI and the other two DVI or something, Nouveau doesn't care.

Configuration is stored in MySQL and for no sensible reason orders are stored pretty much write-only in both MySQL and Cassandra.

IDE of choice is QtCreator. They do have Slack, but email is Rackspace hosted Exchange.

lmao

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Soricidus posted:

lea esi, [ebp+yourposts]
lea edi, [ebp+gaschamber]
mov ecx, size yourposts
rep movsb

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MrMoo posted:

That sounds very frustrating

Did they hire you to inject some discipline? Or are you just going to pile on the hacks?

P.S. C++17 isn't something to complain about, is it? I've only been using C++ for a year but vastly enjoy the C++11 and newer alternatives to the old ways.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
terrible quant status: it is surprisingly hard to convince friends and family they are bad at picking stocks and should stop doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

coffeetable posted:

terrible quant status: it is surprisingly hard to convince friends and family they are bad at picking stocks and should stop doing it

same but the lottery.

• Locked thread