Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Motronic posted:

You can get a not-a-pile-of-poo poo used car for $3,000.

OK. This is exactly as straightforward as I always hope these kinds of answers will be.. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FCKGW posted:

Recommendations for tires? I bought some Kumho Tires 3 years ago and one of them is nearly bald already so I'd like to replace the whole lot. 2008 Ford Focus SE, I was looking at the continentals on tirerack unless there's something or somewhere better.

I've had a set of these on my 2002 Focus since May, you really can't beat them for the price. Quiet, decent grip for all seasons and handles wet/snow about as well as you could ask an all season tire to.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Motronic posted:

It's actually pretty easy to rekey most door locks. You could probably do it yourself.

Yeah? I'll have to look into this. I'll probably grab a junkyard door handle if I can rekey it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Geographically

Having lived long stretches in WI and IL, I assumed tire studs were illegal in the US and possibly legal in the Fabled Canadas. Why the west Great Lakes bloc agreed on this is beyond me.

Because you're supposed to take the snow mobile out in winter. Not the car.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maybe for Minnesota or Michigan. The rest of us is because of the volume of people driving on studs would tear apart roads even faster than the daily freeze/thaw cycles already do, and we have +10 million people living in the greater Chicago area alone. That's ignoring all of those living in the tri-state area or traveling on the dozen or so interstates that get funneled through it

Paramedics are cheaper than roads, so more people become injured or die to save the states some easy money on infrastructure :ms:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sausage king of Chicago posted:

I have a 2013 Scion TC, which I barely drive. I think it has like 27k miles on it and I bought it brand new. Over a month ago it was parked on my street and someone smashed into the driver side quarter panel, right on my rear tire. There was a decent amount of damage and it cost like 4k to fix and it was in the shop for about a month. I had it towed to one of those shops that deals directly with my insurance company (I have GIECO if that matters). I have the estimate somewhere, but I remember that they had to do some work on the rear suspension.

I got it back a couple of days before Thanksgiving. I live in Mass and drove it to NY for the holiday, then drove back and had no real issue. Didn't really drive it again until this past Thursday when I drove to NY again. I went to leave on Sunday and about 15 min in, while on the highway, every time I'd hit a bump my car felt like it was swaying - like if you are driving and it's really, really windy out. It got pretty bad and I felt like I was going to lose control a couple of times so I turned around and went back home to my mom's, then took her car because I needed to get back home to Mass.

Anyway, I came back to NY last night and had my car brought to a shop around here. I explained the situation to the mechanic and showed him the estimate and all of the pictures from the accident and repairs done by the other shop. He just called me up and said that the rear suspension came loose and was flopping around which was causing the swaying. He said he could tighten it up, but he doesn't know what kind of damage was done as it was loose and that he wouldn't feel comfortable unless he changes the whole suspension, which would cost over 4k with parts and labor. GEICO should be going down to look at what's going on, but I'm not sure if they will cover that or not.

So I really don't know what to do. If my insurance doesn't cover it, I don't have the money right now to get it fixed. But, I also don't want to be driving around in a car that I could lose control over. Does this sound like something I NEED to get done - get my whole suspension replaced? Or could I just have the guy tighten it up and it should be fine if done properly? Also, how the gently caress does this even happen? Like how does something like that get over looked and not fixed correctly the first time? Seems like kind of a big deal...

Call your claims adjuster and the body shop, explain the situation. Geico, like most insurance companies, gives you a lifetime warranty if you use one of their preferred shops (and if Geico paid them directly and you only had to pay your deductible to the shop, you used a preferred shop). Many (every one I've used) good body shops also give their own lifetime warranty on their work.

Give the body shop a chance to make it right, but make drat sure they get it towed from where it's at now, and pay for whatever you paid for the tow (you kept the receipt or put it on a card where you can pull it up online, right?) plus whatever you've paid the current shop. If they push back, call Geico immediately and tell them the situation and let them know you tried to get the body shop to honor their warranty.

e: just realized your car isn't in the same state as the original body shop. Call Geico's claims # or your claims adjuster and tell them what's going on. You should be able to get reimbursed for the tow and probably for the mechanic's time, but it would be best if they send someone out to look at it before you approve any work.

Tricky Ed posted:

Drain/refill only for sure at 30/90k. Pretty sure the filter was on the to-do list at 60k, but I can't find that service doc and given the rest of that dealership's work I wouldn't be surprised if they lied anyway. Guessing this means I should check with my mechanic about having that done?

If you're comfortable doing an oil change, you can do this yourself. It's a lot messier, and the filter is up inside the transmission (usually held on with a handful of bolts). But if you're not, expect a bit more labor than you'd normally get for a drain/fill.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 22, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I left my radio and blower on while parked while I wrote out a card to mail out. I wasn't around for long, maybe 10 minutes. I go to mail it out, come back, battery is dead. poo poo.

I call AAA to give me a jump. He says the battery is bad. I buy a new one and my dad helps me swap it out. After we're done he speculates it could be a lack of water in the old battery, which is dry. So we end up putting the old one back with water in it and hoping Oreilly takes back the new one.

Presuming the battery has been dry for a while, now that it has water will it be more or less ok? I don't expect it'll last as long as it would if I had known to look for this, but should it return to normal function?

I'm going to get it tested tomorrow after work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

skooma512 posted:

So I left my radio and blower on while parked while I wrote out a card to mail out. I wasn't around for long, maybe 10 minutes. I go to mail it out, come back, battery is dead. poo poo.

I call AAA to give me a jump. He says the battery is bad. I buy a new one and my dad helps me swap it out. After we're done he speculates it could be a lack of water in the old battery, which is dry. So we end up putting the old one back with water in it and hoping Oreilly takes back the new one.

Presuming the battery has been dry for a while, now that it has water will it be more or less ok? I don't expect it'll last as long as it would if I had known to look for this, but should it return to normal function?

If a battery has been run dry it's never going to be anywhere near as close to reliable as a new one. Just keep the new one and either get the core charge back on the old one or use it to power your bluetooth speaker when you go camping.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

skooma512 posted:

If the battery you bought from oreillys has been installed in a vehicle, they're supposed to deny the return. This applies to anything with electricity flowing through it, but batteries are the big one. From your description the battery was towards the end of its life cycle, adding water to it is just going to slightly prolong its life before it leaves you stranded again. I'd say just get your $18 back for the core and not have to worry about it again in a few months when the old battery would crap out for good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What CPP said. Many car batteries today are supposed to be maintenance free anyway, despite the removable caps, and just topping it off with plain water will ruin it anyway (if not now, in a month or two). You need distilled water, and ideally a hydrometer (and sulfuric acid to replace any that's boiled/evaporated). That battery really can't be trusted again, even if you did use distilled water, a hydrometer, and replenished the acid.

I would suggest taking the vehicle to O'Reilly (or your parts store of choice) and asking them to check out your charging system. That battery shouldn't have been dry; they don't usually go dry unless they're being overcharged. If the alternator checks out fine, then that battery was probably just at its end of life. Sometimes when they get old enough, enough debris flakes off of the plates to cause an internal short, which can boil off some of the liquid (and of course, kills the battery pretty quickly). Also, if the battery is physically bulging on the sides, that's a good sign that it's trash.

How old was the battery?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Good advice guys.

Yeah we just put drinking water in the old battery. Considering it's a 3 year old OEM battery and I can't (ethically at least) return the new one I might as well just put the new one back in. I'll remember to use only distilled water.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

skooma512 posted:

it's a 3 year old OEM battery

Unless you live in an extreme environment (very hot or very cold for large parts of the year) that battery should have lasted at least another year or two. You should definitely get your charging system checked - a bad battery can destroy an otherwise good alternator, and now that you're about to replace the battery a potentially bad alternator could kill the new battery in short order.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

skooma512 posted:

Good advice guys.

Yeah we just put drinking water in the old battery. Considering it's a 3 year old OEM battery and I can't (ethically at least) return the new one I might as well just put the new one back in. I'll remember to use only distilled water.

Chances are, your new battery is not designed to be opened up like that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

God I hope so.

It has a flap like the OEM one but the top is covered with a sticker. The picture on the oreilly website has a warning to not put water in, but who knows if it's a generic model with the part number swapped.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I cannot remember the last time I saw a battery that was actually intended to be topped off by the user. It's just not a thing that needs to be done.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Stupid car question, kinda car policy related: Should AEB systems be considered BTO for vehicles with semi-autonomous systems? I'm wondering whether, and under what circumstances, automatic electronic brakes (AEB) should over-ride throttle sensor input and act as brake-throttle overrides (BTO) in electronic control systems (ETS/ETCS).

If I'm advocating NHTSA to adopt some rule changes to FMVSS, I'd like to know what issues gearheads may see from my proposed rule change. Namely, changes to FMVSS No. 124 & No. 126. I don't want to stop folk from being able to do burnouts; I want asian automotive manufacturers to adopt some goddamn better software development and V2V practices. Like loving hell Toyota, Bookerman showed your code to be recursive as gently caress for safety-critical systems.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nice acronym salad

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

skooma512 posted:

God I hope so.

It has a flap like the OEM one but the top is covered with a sticker. The picture on the oreilly website has a warning to not put water in, but who knows if it's a generic model with the part number swapped.

Yeah, outside of a few cheaper motorcycle/powersports batteries, everything we sell is a "maintenence free" battery, meaning you don't add water to it. (If you haven't guessed, I kinda work for oreillys.)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

spankmeister posted:

Nice acronym salad

Welcome to Federal policy development, home of the acronym soup

Its a really interesting issue, I find. You've got OEM's begging for a legislation at industry conferences and in public, meanwhile you also got issues like this popping up:

https://betterembsw.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-case-study-of-toyota-unintended.html?m=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NCTf7wT5WR0

A vehicle in 10 years may not function like anything produced today, while there is a transition period anticipated in which autonomous, semi-autonomous, and non-autonomous vehicles will have to share the road. Best to be proactive now to avoid unnecessary instances where your German vehicle detects bridge spacers as vehicle rear taillights and full-engages AEB, or your Corvette's left rear brake tends to engage when driving down the highway with certain conditions. I only trust American software development practices, and want to ensure American vehicles are best positioned to produce the greatest economic benefit for our great nation in the coming decades.

Fortunately, there are few barriers for automated vehicles to comply with FMVSS, as long as the vehicle does not significantly diverge from a conventional vehicle design.

Unfortunately, light vehicle brake systems (§571.135) have been identified as having potential issues for automated vehicles with conventional designs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I cannot remember the last time I saw a battery that was actually intended to be topped off by the user. It's just not a thing that needs to be done.

Yeah, batteries have been sealed and not intended to be refilled for like 40 or 50 years. It's not something anyone should be doing at this point.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Welcome to Federal policy development, home of the acronym soup

Its a really interesting issue, I find. You've got OEM's begging for a legislation at industry conferences and in public, meanwhile you also got issues like this popping up:

https://betterembsw.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-case-study-of-toyota-unintended.html?m=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NCTf7wT5WR0

A vehicle in 10 years may not function like anything produced today, while there is a transition period anticipated in which autonomous, semi-autonomous, and non-autonomous vehicles will have to share the road. Best to be proactive now to avoid unnecessary instances where your German vehicle detects bridge spacers as vehicle rear taillights and full-engages AEB, or your Corvette's left rear brake tends to engage when driving down the highway with certain conditions. I only trust American software development practices, and want to ensure American vehicles are best positioned to produce the greatest economic benefit for our great nation in the coming decades.

Fortunately, there are few barriers for automated vehicles to comply with FMVSS, as long as the vehicle does not significantly diverge from a conventional vehicle design.

Unfortunately, light vehicle brake systems (§571.135) have been identified as having potential issues for automated vehicles with conventional designs.

MISRA solves everything, right?

right?????

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Anyone ever own or work on the old Focus SVT? I might buy one tomorrow for $2000, but it's throwing P0171. Runs like a champ but the code is there. Any ideas?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

lovely fuel pressure due to bad/failing filter or pump, crappy MODZ like a cold air intake with a way oversized intake tube, bad O2 sensor, vacuum leak, exhaust leak before the O2 sensor and failing fuel injector/s off the top of my head are common causes for a "too lean" code. Check for bad modifications first imo. Then realize that if that basic mod has been done poorly, realize that most other mods have been done poorly.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Otis Reddit posted:

Anyone ever own or work on the old Focus SVT? I might buy one tomorrow for $2000, but it's throwing P0171. Runs like a champ but the code is there. Any ideas?

Never owned/worked on a SVT but I've had a MkI Focus since 2004 and know a bit about them.

What year? If not 2004 make sure its had the clutch TSB done.

Other things to check off the top of my head - valve cover has a tendency to leak down the side of the head, which then causes the thermostat oring to swell which breaks the thermostat housing. There will be a fairly constant drip of coolant if this is the case. The SVT has a dual-runner intake manifold and where the runner control servo clips to the intake likes to break off (google "SVT focus IMRC fix" for more info) and if I had to guess P0171 could indicate a faulty exhaust VCT solenoid - the SVT Zetec used VCT on the exhaust side only in lieu of EGR and the solenoid failing was relatively common. I'd also check the spare tire well, a leaky hatch seal will result in the well filling with water.

Finally a word of warning - SVT specific parts are becoming increasingly scarce, to the point where there are a few salvage yards that specialize in parts for them.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

:smith: ah well, the 2011 Ranger I wanted that was two hours away from home was in perfect condition except for the extreme, irreparable frame/etc rust. Back to stalking used car listings.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
5 years rusted out? Wtf

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I thought you said it was a Ranger, not a Tacoma.

That's pretty extreme for something that new,. :stare:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Ford's cars and light trucks are now covered by a 5 year, unlimited mileage corrosion warranty. It only covers rust not caused by 'environmental fallout,' whatever that means. I'm not sure if that applies to the '11 Ranger.

"Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal
panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a
manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship.
For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where
there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our
policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne
material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"body sheet metal panels" sounds a whole lot like it only applies to the body itself. Doesn't mention a thing about the frame.

Also, depending when it was originally sold, the date it was put in service could easily be in 2010. My 2006 car was built in June of 2005 (:wtf:), and legally sold to the original owner in October of 2005.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Generally is there a time limit on how long you have to get something that's been a part of a recall fixed? I got a notice back in mid 2015 about the ABS system on my 2007 mitsubishi eclipse, and it told me to watch for another letter that will let owners know that parts are available at authorized Mitsubishi dealerships to make the necessary repairs if needed. I got the second letter sometime earlier this year (I want to say spring). I didn't act on it at the time because the two closest authorized dealerships were both over an hour away.

A Mitsubishi dealership is now opening up here soon and if there is no time limit on how long you have to get the repairs done, I'm going to take my car in to get the necessary inspection and/or repairs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You're fine, but I'm shocked someone is opening a new Mitsubishi dealership in TYOOL 2016.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if a vehicle is recalled, there generally isn't an end date. I'm sure at some point it becomes untenable but I've never heard of anyone getting denied on it due to age.

If it's not actually a recall, though, there might be a time limit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Honda told me to piss off about the ignition barrel recall, but tbh it was on a 98 CR-V :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah? I'll have to look into this. I'll probably grab a junkyard door handle if I can rekey it.
Bring your key to the yard and see if you get lucky, it might fit one donor. Find out if you can get a cylinder from another kind of vehicle and put it in an avalanche compatible door handle, too. Make sure you get the pushrod from the cylinder to the latch too.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Stupid car question, kinda car policy related: Should AEB systems be considered BTO for vehicles with semi-autonomous systems? I'm wondering whether, and under what circumstances, automatic electronic brakes (AEB) should over-ride throttle sensor input and act as brake-throttle overrides (BTO) in electronic control systems (ETS/ETCS).

If I'm advocating NHTSA to adopt some rule changes to FMVSS, I'd like to know what issues gearheads may see from my proposed rule change. Namely, changes to FMVSS No. 124 & No. 126. I don't want to stop folk from being able to do burnouts; I want asian automotive manufacturers to adopt some goddamn better software development and V2V practices. Like loving hell Toyota, Bookerman showed your code to be recursive as gently caress for safety-critical systems.

I need to think about this and put together a serious response at work on tuesday.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kastein posted:

Bring your key to the yard and see if you get lucky, it might fit one donor. Find out if you can get a cylinder from another kind of vehicle and put it in an avalanche compatible door handle, too. Make sure you get the pushrod from the cylinder to the latch too.

I need to think about this and put together a serious response at work on tuesday.

You've got 29 more days before he can respond anyway :science:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone know what kind of car this is? Neighbor caught them breaking into some community mailboxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deq8_t1O9-0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like a late model Nissan Sentra to me, but kinda hard to tell.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how Mercedez-Benz dealership service actually works? I am trying to figure out what service my dad's 2015 E-350 needs. The manual lists what needs to be done at what miles, and being relatively new he wants it done at the dealer. Every service dealer lists 'A' and 'B' service as what they offer; which from the list of services included just sound like $200 and $600 oil changes and don't line up with the specific services listed in the service manual unless I am missing something. Google is not being helpful at all since people are talking about 'A' and 'B' service intervals but apparently Mercedez-Benz stopped referring to those specifically in their service manuals after 2014?

edit: For some reason I put all the dates off by 10 years, fixed.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 26, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The A service is typically just your standard oil change/tire rotation. B is same but with air filter, cabin air filter and brake fluid. I doubt the 05 models had the 10k schedule current models do, so you're probably just best off to request the specific items in the manual.

Tell your dad to go anywhere else because $200 for basically an oil change is insane.

Also, Mercedes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The A service is typically just your standard oil change/tire rotation. B is same but with air filter, cabin air filter and brake fluid. I doubt the 05 models had the 10k schedule current models do, so you're probably just best off to request the specific items in the manual.

Tell your dad to go anywhere else because $200 for basically an oil change is insane.

Also, Mercedes

'05 was a typo, it's a '15. I'll see what I can do. I'm just surprised a luxury car brand makes it so hard to get the service you actually need.

There's a thread out there on bimmerforums where people compare the cost of the 'A' and 'B' service in their region. It's shocking how all over the map it is. The low is around $130 for an 'A' service and the high is around $300. For a 'B' service the range is $300-$800.

From the few data points I have from internet threads and what I know about the prices in my local area, there has to be some level of collusion to keep 'A' and 'B' service prices the same in a region. I feel like this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 26, 2016