Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Replace the op with that correct mod list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So I stupidly decided that I wanted 81 tiles instead of 25 in a game already going, swapped them out. Game wouldn't load so I put it back, and it still sits at the loading screen. Am I screwed? My next idea to try is disable all mods and see if it'll load, then if it does enable them again after.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not sure the specifics or if it's even true any more, but 81 tile is way more buggy and risky than 25. 25's just unlocking all the vanilla tiles, 81 has to change a bunch of core game poo poo to allow it. 25 seems plenty big enough, and multi-city regions often don't really work out so well anyways since cims don't seem to take distance into account as much as they should when it comes to work or shopping.

Also a ton of mods randomly become incompatible with 81 tile mod. If you just want a huge vanilla city it's an ok mod, but if you're stacking all sorts of other poo poo on top it can get hosed. Like just now I'm reading there's some critical problem between 81 tiles and disable zoning check mod. Who knows why, it's just a fussy mod that likes to ruin stuff.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 23, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks!

Installing it again right now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not sure the specifics or if it's even true any more, but 81 tile is way more buggy and risky than 25. 25's just unlocking all the vanilla tiles, 81 has to change a bunch of core game poo poo to allow it. 25 seems plenty big enough, and multi-city regions often don't really work out so well anyways since cims don't seem to take distance into account as much as they should when it comes to work or shopping.

Also a ton of mods randomly become incompatible with 81 tile mod. If you just want a huge vanilla city it's an ok mod, but if you're stacking all sorts of other poo poo on top it can get hosed. Like just now I'm reading there's some critical problem between 81 tiles and disable zoning check mod. Who knows why, it's just a fussy mod that likes to ruin stuff.

I'm using a real city map to make an improved version of somewhere I used to live and parts of it don't fit in the 25, so I figured I'd try it. Anyway I've removed it now and went back to 25 but it stuck at the loading screen. I'm going to screw with it when I get home but was just wondering if anyone's had infinite loading issues and knows a good way to fix it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I have discovered that my three-year-old loving LOVES it when we click on a train or a bus or a car or what have you, and then follow it all through the city. We talk about transportation and neighbourhoods and jobs and farms and buildings. It's wonderful.

My wife, for some strange reason, is less enamoured than I am with this Parenting Innovation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm using a real city map to make an improved version of somewhere I used to live and parts of it don't fit in the 25, so I figured I'd try it. Anyway I've removed it now and went back to 25 but it stuck at the loading screen. I'm going to screw with it when I get home but was just wondering if anyone's had infinite loading issues and knows a good way to fix it.

The game is super weird when mods fail. Sometimes disabling everything, restarting the game, starting a new city, turning them back on fixes it. When I got back into the game this month I was getting a million errors when I'd start the game or a new city. I disabled all mods, restarted and it was fine. Turned on all mods, and it was still fine. Who knows, game is weird.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Albino Squirrel posted:

I have discovered that my three-year-old loving LOVES it when we click on a train or a bus or a car or what have you, and then follow it all through the city. We talk about transportation and neighbourhoods and jobs and farms and buildings. It's wonderful.

As a stay at home parent I also recommend coaster cams in coaster park sims.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*Cities Skylines but every time you draw a city block you stare at the empty space for 5 min unable to summon up the energy to manually plop and move-it the buildings into a perfect seamless streetwall*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also that links to the transport lines manager!

Rendering fix for convenience:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=714056356

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 23, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The game is super weird when mods fail. Sometimes disabling everything, restarting the game, starting a new city, turning them back on fixes it. When I got back into the game this month I was getting a million errors when I'd start the game or a new city. I disabled all mods, restarted and it was fine. Turned on all mods, and it was still fine. Who knows, game is weird.

Thanks for suggesting I do weird poo poo. Disabled all mods, started a new game, went back and enabled mods, loaded the autosave instead of the most recent save, and it's working. :psyduck:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

Thanks for suggesting I do weird poo poo. Disabled all mods, started a new game, went back and enabled mods, loaded the autosave instead of the most recent save, and it's working. :psyduck:

Yep, loading the autosave, good idea. Now you're thinking weird, and that's the solution to problems in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Place the small silver traffic cone over the hard drive and tap the computer case three times with the ceremonial miniature jackhammer before loading the save.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wanted to get some dank props to detail my city but I guess steam is dead forever now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any easy way to unsubscribe from all mods/assets? I'm thinking of getting back into this but I have like a billion mods and assets that make my poo poo run terribly. I want to start over fresh and try not to go hog wild this time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In the in-game content manager under the Steam stuff there should be a button that says 'unsubscribe all.'

If you have a ton of mods it may take a while during which time it looks like your game has frozen but it should still be working. I thought mine had froze and after 5-10 minutes I closed the program thinking it had just crashed and went to Steam to manually unsub and I only had a few left to unsub.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The "less steam" mod reaaaaaly helps in that regard. The mod panel is super inefficient and any time you check or uncheck a box it triggers a refresh on the status of every single other mod you have and a check-in with the steam workshop. The mod removes a lot of this extraneous checking and gets rid of most of the hang-ups while trying to look at your massive unmanageable mod list. So yeah, you need a mod to more quickly unsubscribe from mods! :thatsskylines:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Double postin'!!!

I made an imgur gallery with the dumb city I'm working on and wrote descriptions. Give it a click and tell me what you think!
http://imgur.com/gallery/xOEwe

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Since the OP is very very old, what DLC is worth getting? I just have the base game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Since the OP is very very old, what DLC is worth getting? I just have the base game.

I think it's mostly if it appeals to you, then grab it. If you want meteors crashing into your city or snow then grab those.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Snowfall has trams which can be very nice and night life has bike lanes. If you aren't excited about making cities with bike stuff or trams skip it. Disasters has nothing of use unless you like explosions and your work being undone.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Baronjutter posted:

Double postin'!!!

I made an imgur gallery with the dumb city I'm working on and wrote descriptions. Give it a click and tell me what you think!
That's beautiful and makes me want to do a euro city (when I finally build out the tropical one I've been working on for months). Your public spaces in particular are great.

Do all buildings support Snowfall by default, or do they have to be designed with snow in mind? I'm feeling winter-y. Probably because of the foot of snow outside.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So how does Move-It work with filling in the gaps in a curved-road block? I understand that you can ship buildings around and clip them into other buildings, but wouldn't that just leave a new gap where a moved building had originally been? How do zones react to having a building half-shifted out of a block? Is this one of those things that only works if you're RICO'ing everything?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

So how does Move-It work with filling in the gaps in a curved-road block? I understand that you can ship buildings around and clip them into other buildings, but wouldn't that just leave a new gap where a moved building had originally been? How do zones react to having a building half-shifted out of a block? Is this one of those things that only works if you're RICO'ing everything?

Mods have you all covered! Really all you need is move-it and disable zone check mods. The building picker mod really helps too. Move it lets you very finely move poo poo around, I only recently figured out you can do this with the mouse not just tapping arrow keys, it also lets you select multiple buildings, save and copy selections, do all sorts of amazing poo poo. You just totally ignore the zoning grid and move the buildings around where they look nice. They can be about 2 tiles away from a road and still work, so it's very flexible. Normally the buildings would de-spawn very quickly since they'd be off the zoning grid, so people were converting buildings into rico's. But now you don't have to, because "disable zoning check" mod disabled this check, so you can move zoned buildings anywhere and they'll work as per usual, even upgrade, it's perfect. With the building eye dropper mod you can just press "t" and grab any building you like and clone it. No need to cycle through bad menus of building missing icons to build an area, the city is your pallet. Usually I zone an area like normal and just fill in the gaps where needed, but sometimes on curves the default zoning grid is hosed and I just hand plop and move every building. If you're doing a big curve you can actually grab a few buildings you've curved and copy paste. If they're all level 1 buildings, as time goes on and they upgrade any repetition will of course go away. You're of course doing this all with anarchy turned on so you can overlap the butt's of buildings into each other on the curve. Or merging two building together to look like one. Some of the symetrical european buildings look real good merged together, like overlapping a tile and a half or what ever to make weird-sized building to fill in weird holes.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
From the sound of it, Move-It is a feature that CO just needs to bake into the base game.

I'm not playing much lately, but I definitely know what two must-have mods I'll need to install whenever I get back to it.

e: Also, of interest to this thread, Citybound is back: http://blog.cityboundsim.com/christmas-2016-announcement/

I figure some of y'all unbookmarked it and might not have noticed. Looks like a good start.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are there any good big ploppable factories? I don't see a lot of industrial stuff on the workshop from a little browse.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not really what you're probably looking for (you mean like those huge auto plants in SimCity 4, right?), but if you search "UK industrial unit" you'll find a couple dozen things that kind of work well as a kind of pseudo modular thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baronjutter posted:

Double postin'!!!

This is some real nice poo poo right here, I'm particularly a fan of how you've wound the metro line through everything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there any good big ploppable factories? I don't see a lot of industrial stuff on the workshop from a little browse.

I don't see any big factories but here's a cool oil industry thing I found yesterday:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793404813
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797381457
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820986974

e:
Soviet Heavy Industry:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663753204

Miyagi Motors Factory Complex:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717231007

ee:
Colossal Mills Cereal Factory:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493135868

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 25, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Definitely gonna be tinkering with Move It then, thank you Baronjutter.

Is there any way to change a city's starting date yet, other than manually adjusting the date on your PC? I very much enjoy making more old-timey-ish cities, and it's all quite fun until I look in the corner and it's now 2029 in Oldtimesville after 13 in-game years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It shouldn't matter at all but the date slightly bugs me too. I wish it just showed number of years you've been playing. Time's sort of meaningless in the game anyways.

Also for BIG INDUSTRY Check out Avanya's stuff, does lots of huge rico industrial plops, warehouses, all sorts. If the link doesn't work just search for Avanya or "factory hall"
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027494461/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Also for BIG INDUSTRY Check out Avanya's stuff, does lots of huge rico industrial plops, warehouses, all sorts. If the link doesn't work just search for Avanya or "factory hall"
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027494461/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

This is great. Piling these together makes a huge looking industrial complex.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

It shouldn't matter at all but the date slightly bugs me too. I wish it just showed number of years you've been playing. Time's sort of meaningless in the game anyways.

One of the mods that was recommended a page or so ago alters the timescale such that the days/nights pass slower and then in conjunction with that there's a mod (or maybe it's the same one I don't quite remember now and I'm away from my home PC) that alters the traffic so people actually go to work in the AM and go home in the PM and so on. The timescale seems fairly realistic in that it takes a reasonable amount of time to drive across town (hour or so in-game versus driving all night and all morning in vanilla).

Not perfect but it seems to be working pretty nicely. At 3-4am there's much less traffic on my roads and there's definitely a rush of people going home or going to work at the times you'd expect if the number of people trying to use public transit at appropriate times is any indication.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 27, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Another update on yet another euro city, lots of pictures in the imgur gallery.
http://imgur.com/gallery/SFcV6

I really like this horseyman

And hills always make a city better, totally flat is easy to build highways on but boring.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

So I've been getting back into this after playing quite a bit more than a year ago when it first released. How do things like this work?

And I see a lot of posts about Rico's and plobbables but I'm not sure what exactly those are.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

subx posted:

So I've been getting back into this after playing quite a bit more than a year ago when it first released. How do things like this work?

And I see a lot of posts about Rico's and plobbables but I'm not sure what exactly those are.

Ploppable means a building you build, rather than one built automatically inside a zoned area.

Ploppable RICO is a mod that allows ploppable buildings to function the same way as zoned buildings, in respect to providing living space, jobs and production. In other words, a building you build that economically works like a zone building, but never gets replaced automatically.
So Ploppable RICO lets you bonsai garden your city, building areas of residential/industrial/commercial/offices that remain the same way forever.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

nielsm posted:

Ploppable means a building you build, rather than one built automatically inside a zoned area.

Ploppable RICO is a mod that allows ploppable buildings to function the same way as zoned buildings, in respect to providing living space, jobs and production. In other words, a building you build that economically works like a zone building, but never gets replaced automatically.
So Ploppable RICO lets you bonsai garden your city, building areas of residential/industrial/commercial/offices that remain the same way forever.

Oh ok, so that's actually a mod as well. That makes more sense now. I am not sure I have the patience to build some of the perfect cities you guys have done in the past week or so with the zoning mod, but wouldn't mind doing a couple of cool industrial areas or something.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just starting up a new city after about a year away from the game and holy poo poo, the Move It! mod is amazing. There are a lot of "why the gently caress isn't this in the base game" level mods but Move It! takes the cake.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Been working on an Eastern European style city, e.g. Euro blockhouse style old town with Soviet tenements and heavy industry. I still have a lot of filling out to do but it's got some nice views now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a new, test version of the Loading Screen mod. The author optimized the loading process, and my custom asset load time has gone from 5-6 minutes to 1. Pretty great.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=833779378