Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

I still to this day can't believe there's a second Nier game and it looks THIS amazing. I'm fiending for my shift to end so I can try the demo.

"I would like a sequel to Nier made by Platinum Games" is the kind of thing I'd laugh at before it happened just for how amazingly implausible it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this robot fighting lady might possibly be too sassy

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That one robot on the right pulling a Bart Simpson arm swing. :allears:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
My only hope is that Nier Automata will still have crazy bullshit like the game occasionally turning into a bullet hell shmup or text adventure.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
P sure it will considering Platinum has a thing for putting space shooter sections in their games. :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a reason to ever stop shooting in Nier 2: Electric Android Boogaloo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lurdiak posted:

1 - Ace Attorney 6: Spirit of Justice
2 - Doom
3 - Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows Darkest Dungeon
4 - X-com 2
5 - Stardew Valley

Uh... I think I can only do a top 5. I played a lot of slightly older games this year.

E: Wait, Plague of Shadows was last year...

Lurdiak posted:

GOTY 2017 will be Chrono Trigger for the 23rd consecutive year.

Lurdiak speaks the truth.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mr E posted:

To give your clawed hand some much needed relief

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

To give your clawed hand some much needed relief

Between MonHun and Dank Souls my hands are permaclaws.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My only hope is that Nier Automata will still have crazy bullshit like the game occasionally turning into a bullet hell shmup or text adventure.

We've seen a boss fight which is a straight-up bullet hell fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq3_phBQA_Y

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's Platinum, they'd throw the project in the garbage if someone told them they couldn't put a shmup section in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Squarecells is a really good chill Picross game

But man what I really want is another Hexcells game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its plat and taro yoko said he had wanted to make a 2d shooter but wasnt allowed so absolutely

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol, I found this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Needs more Zelda.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is there no Telltale walking dead thread?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

GOTY 2017 will be Chrono Trigger for the 23rd consecutive year.
The future refused to change

Kraps posted:

Is there no Telltale walking dead thread?
there's a thread for point and click adventures in general somewhere, that would probably fit the bill

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Last one was I think the Season 2 thread and yeah that was.

Yeah.

Just bringing up Kenny made the thread go on fire.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

How many eps of s3 are out?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Turned out a good friend of mine was selling her Wii U, so I bought it from her cheap! Yay! :)

Also turns out that I didn't unlink my NNID from the original one correctly, so now I can't get my games back and use the new Wii U yet! Boo! :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kraps posted:

How many eps of s3 are out?

Just the one, and it's hilariously awful

doesn't matter who you went with at the end of 2, they die almost immediately

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Mr E posted:

You can do a counter version of the shoot that does a good chunk of damage with a bit of AoE but to do it you need to be not shooting before the perfect dodge animation.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought they released 2 episodes at launch for this season?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh maybe they did. Thought it was only one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Again? God drat it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Telltale

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The beginning of TWD season 3 is the most Telltale Games thing ever, it would be infuriating if it wasn't so expected at this point

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There is one hour and forty minutes left on my Witcher DL and I'm torn between staying up to play it or trying to wake up really early to play it.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Jokes on Telltale, my Clem went solo :smug:

Plus she's right, groups suck.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started the Witcher 3 and just went with the default options, like Simulate Witcher 2 save and whatnot. A nude lady started telling me what to do so instead I jumped up and down on a table and played with the menus a bunch, then looked at a beautiful mountain view and accidentally jumped off the balcony and died. It looks like there are a lot of crafting materials to find and lots of things to level up in as I complete quests. I am looking forward to it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TWD S1 is great, but I think like a lot of comic book properties, they thought that they needed to make things more dour and bleak, when it was already like that to start with, and that's how you get stuff like in season 2 when Clem has to loving do surgery on herself, or how things can never just 'end' for a character until they're killed off

like the concept of even a bittersweet ending isn't possible in the world of comic book licensing because the show has to always go on, forever. i dont even know how people can enjoy the Walking Dead TV show where they keep finding a new safe haven and then something happens and it all goes to poo poo and they leave, over and over and over

its like how 24 became more and more of a cartoon of itself because they ran out of things to make jack bauer get revenge for but NO he still cant just walk away ever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I started the Witcher 3 and just went with the default options, like Simulate Witcher 2 save and whatnot. A nude lady started telling me what to do so instead I jumped up and down on a table and played with the menus a bunch, then looked at a beautiful mountain view and accidentally jumped off the balcony and died. It looks like there are a lot of crafting materials to find and lots of things to level up in as I complete quests. I am looking forward to it.

The Bloody Baron is one of the best RPG stories I've ever seen and it's only one of the like dozen major questlines

I should really get back into Witcher 3, I didn't get more than 20% of the way through that but I think open world distraction/ennui set in

Never touched any of the DLC either

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is the Witcher 3 approachable if I couldn't be arsed to finish Witcher 1 or install Witcher 2?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is the Witcher 3 approachable if I couldn't be arsed to finish Witcher 1 or install Witcher 2?

The relevant bits of W1 and 2 can be very quickly summed up, yes, and general world-knowledge is plenty accessible in game through the encyclopedia or whatever they call it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You shouldn't pick "Simulate Witcher 2 Save" if this is your first time playing a Witcher game. The labelling is confusing but what the option does is introduce a short scene after the prologue wherein you're asked questions about your choices in Witcher 2. If you've never played Witcher 2, you'll have no idea what any of it means. Selecting "off" merely gives you a bit of a default world state that doesn't depend on prior knowledge.

Unless it's the other way around, I don't know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who could not be arsed to finish Witcher 1 or 2, yes, very. The game is clever about reminding you of who returning characters are, often without having you resort to looking at their history in the ingame guide. It's well-written enough that you can get the gist of what happened in 1 and 2 without harming your interest in 3 whether you didn't finish them or didn't play them at all.

edit: But even then, the stories of 1 and 2 straight up don't have much bearing on 3's anyway in the broad strokes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It takes a while to get used to the nonsense fantasy place names but it's doable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Witcher 1 probably isn't worth playing through, unless you have a compulsive need to see badly modeled titties.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

TWD S1 is great, but I think like a lot of comic book properties, they thought that they needed to make things more dour and bleak, when it was already like that to start with, and that's how you get stuff like in season 2 when Clem has to loving do surgery on herself, or how things can never just 'end' for a character until they're killed off

like the concept of even a bittersweet ending isn't possible in the world of comic book licensing because the show has to always go on, forever. i dont even know how people can enjoy the Walking Dead TV show where they keep finding a new safe haven and then something happens and it all goes to poo poo and they leave, over and over and over

its like how 24 became more and more of a cartoon of itself because they ran out of things to make jack bauer get revenge for but NO he still cant just walk away ever.

Intel&Sebastian made a great point about TWD the tv series in that it seems like a character study in what makes a monster. Rick and co come upon increasingly ordered forms of society created by ethically compromised people but they never measure up to Rick's standards so he leaves them all in ashes and in the end we'll be left with a huge trail of dead and the inescapable conclusion that Rick is the greatest monster of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tap my mountain posted:

Blizzard's newest overwatch comic confirmed Tracer as a lesbian and nerds are losing their poo poo over it :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E83CtWFkQW0

Quest For Glory II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWpUB_Xdqs

• Locked thread