Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mulva posted:

It's lady Batman and Robin fighting sexual assault on a college campus, and it has a body count by the end of the first episode so they aren't afraid for poo poo to get very real quickly.

Are the sexual assaults shown? My wife was interested in the show from the description, but she has real trouble watching graphic rape scenes in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

It's only like GoT in that it has a large cast of characters.

People who compare unrelated shows are the worst type of idiots.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Are the sexual assaults shown? My wife was interested in the show from the description, but she has real trouble watching graphic rape scenes in anything.

Boy is that a hierarchy I don't want to think about, but I wouldn't say graphic. They don't show every assault, nor is it just rapes [One episode focuses on a sorority brutalizing it's pledges], but they do sometimes show a bit of the assaults. I would say watch the first episode, which is about as graphic as it gets on that front, and you'd know your wife better than anyone.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I haven't gone past episode 3, but episode one is the most graphic, if you could call it that. The act isn't shown, if I'm remembering right, it's her being held down and remembering the vulnerability she felt as physically, she's being held down too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good Behavior is superb tv. Michelle Dockery is crushing it.

This is why I can't do TV lists anymore, last min gems throw a metric spanner in the whole thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wormil posted:

I've been recording Falling Water but have forgotten why and no one talks about it. Is anyone watching it?

I am. One of my favorite shows of the year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Dirk Gently any good?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Dirk Gently any good?

Here's the discussion from the last page.

MiddleOne posted:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency looks like a milquetoast police procedural when you browse over it on Netflix but it turns out is is anything but. How have I never heard about this show before, Elijah Wood is really killing it as the audience stand-in here. :stare:

This is why I usually stick with anime

Shageletic posted:

The author is a genius so I've been hesitant to watch the show, considering I've only heard disappointed takes. You like it though?

MiddleOne posted:

Literally never heard of the books, show is great though. It's just one long 8-episode crazy ride.

Escobarbarian posted:

The Dirk Gently adaptation is by Max Landis so keep that in mind before diving in

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah I assumed it was about some hippie guy solving crimes with nature, I don't know why. It's pretty drat good, enjoyed it a lot. The plot is not AT ALL what I expected it to be.

bull3964 posted:

The events of the books were referenced in the first episode. So, if Norse Gods and ghosts with time travel agendas are in continuity, I assume nothing is off limits for the show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Here's the discussion from the last page.
I thought I read about it in this thread but many pages ago :negative:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

precision posted:

Fleabag is on Prime. Watch it. It's basically what if Sweet Dee from Always Sunny were British and had her own show. And even more funny than that sounds now that I type it out.
Isn't that literally The Mick? (Minus the British part)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ep2 of shut eye: WHAT THE gently caress!?

I think I'm gonna have to keep watching this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The OA . gif

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mu Zeta posted:

The OA . gif

So loving bad.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Is the OA like Sense8 through the lens of insanity?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

Is the OA like Sense8 through the lens of insanity?

Rocksicles posted:

People who compare unrelated shows are the worst type of idiots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OA and Sense8 are both terrible so it's a valid comparison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The OA was kind of cool at first. Like the title card and credits appearing almost an hour into the first episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sense8 is great though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

Sense8 is great though.

Agreed. The xmas special is tomorrow!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The S2 premiere of Man in the High Castle played with my emotions.

Haha, are they kicking off this season by killing off Juliana?

Now Joe's dying? This season is going to be great.

drat, Joe's not gonna die.

And now Juliana's not dead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

Ep2 of shut eye: WHAT THE gently caress!?

I think I'm gonna have to keep watching this.

It's good stuff.

Might have to make a thread about it for the five posters interested in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The OA . gif

The low frame rate and compression make this look like a clip from a 90s FMV game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some dude kept pming me for mod approval for a Survivor thread yesterday. I barely post on this board any more so I guess they got me confused with OldSenileGuy :V

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't there already a Survivor thread running anyway? For the GenX/Millennial thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaggitz posted:

Some dude kept pming me for mod approval for a Survivor thread yesterday. I barely post on this board any more so I guess they got me confused with OldSenileGuy :V

It sounds like the person PMing you was the old senile guy!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

It's good stuff.

Might have to make a thread about it for the five posters interested in it.

Is there a Hulu thread? I feel like the two Hulu originals I've watched are both very good and worth discussing, but I don't think they could support their own threads. Between being short shows, and the limited number of people here who pay for hulu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was going to make a thread for Shut Eye but you're welcome to it if you want, Shag.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Shut Eye's fab.

It always worries me when streaming services, or basic cable, release shows really late in the year, generally after all the best-of lists have been finalised, since they inevitably get overlooked by nearly everybody. Shut Eye's one, Good Behavior's another, and then there's The Man In The High Castle and Falling Water, which were both really good shows this year.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lycus posted:

The S2 premiere of Man in the High Castle played with my emotions.

Haha, are they kicking off this season by killing off Juliana?

Now Joe's dying? This season is going to be great.

drat, Joe's not gonna die.

And now Juliana's not dead.

This season's real good. You're in for a treat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

Sense8 is great though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I finished watching Search Party today, and man that has gotta be the most aggressively unpleasant show I've watched this year. By the end I just loathed every single person in the show, which I guess was maybe the point? For some reason?
I was a bit amused at how the show came out around the same time as Dirk Gently and also manages to be its thematic antithesis.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

raditts posted:

I finished watching Search Party today, and man that has gotta be the most aggressively unpleasant show I've watched this year. By the end I just loathed every single person in the show, which I guess was maybe the point? For some reason?

Have you seen a little show called The OA yet?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I recently finished watching through The OA and actually thought it was pretty good. It managed to have some really intense and memorable scenes despite being based around a rather depressing story of mental illness. The places the story goes are quite insane but then again you have to consider that almost the entire thing is framed through the mind of an actual insane person and the viewer is interpreting through their vision. It's not something you can watch and take literally, which is not going to appeal to quite a few people I will admit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Have you seen a little show called The OA yet?
Dude you don't joke about stuff like that

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Dude you don't joke about stuff like that

Hey Josh Lyman, tonight my wife and I watched the pilot of The West Wing, introducing us to your namesake. I've seen a few bits and pieces over the years, but it's one of those shows I've never sat down to watch.

Man, I needed that. It felt like a feel-good fantasy, like The Flash (season 1) or The Force Awakens or something. Just about as unrealistic these days, but so cathartic and uplifting and joyous.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Flayer posted:

I recently finished watching through The OA and actually thought it was pretty good. It managed to have some really intense and memorable scenes despite being based around a rather depressing story of mental illness. The places the story goes are quite insane but then again you have to consider that almost the entire thing is framed through the mind of an actual insane person and the viewer is interpreting through their vision. It's not something you can watch and take literally, which is not going to appeal to quite a few people I will admit.

I want to watch the OA that you watched.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hey Josh Lyman, tonight my wife and I watched the pilot of The West Wing, introducing us to your namesake. I've seen a few bits and pieces over the years, but it's one of those shows I've never sat down to watch.

Man, I needed that. It felt like a feel-good fantasy, like The Flash (season 1) or The Force Awakens or something. Just about as unrealistic these days, but so cathartic and uplifting and joyous.

It's really good and you should keep going and maybe also listen to The West Wing Weekly podcast for each episode.

For all of Sorkins faults, the first 3 seasons of TWW is good TV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lady, the god that you pray to is too busy being indicted for tax fraud!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Lady, the god that you pray to is too busy being indicted for tax fraud!

We absolutely marked out during the climax of that, when POTUS showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Flayer posted:

I don't agree at all that she's mentally ill.

e: The West Wing starts out so energetic and positive but by season 3 it's the same grimdark drama of every other show.

• Locked thread