Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Oh, sure, I can go along with that. I just mean any kiss anywhere. Anything that is absolutely something that can't be glossed over. Even 'the kiss' in episode 7 is ambiguous. I'm just sad we didn't get closure on that, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
wasn't gonna happen, even in the 2am timeslot, I think. At least not in 2016. give it a few years

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Just echoing the same thoughts, it was a nice ending but not a great one (I wanted a kiss).

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Hello, thread. I didn't really think to look for a thread for this show because I don't visit the anime forum often enough, and I have yet to read the whole thread, but holy drat do I want to share my experience with Yuri on Ice.

I'd seen this show appear on Crunchyroll and put it on my queue thinking it looked interesting, but didn't watch it right away. I picked it up when a friend told me that it was really good.

Honestly, I really didn't care for the first episode. It just really didn't strike me, but I watched a few more and it started to grow on me. After seeing the whole thing, I can say that no show has ever captivated me like this. I just loved the story, the characters, the animation, and the music. When I was waiting for episode 11, I rewatched the whole thing and that's when I enjoyed episode one- knowing more about the characters, who they were, and their motivations made it more fun.

I sincerely love the fact that Victor and Yuri genuinely care about each other and everyone they know completely accepts it. Nobody says anything like, "But you're both guys!" or objects to it whatsoever. It's awesome that Pichit is just really freaking excited that his buddy got engaged. I think it's just such an awesome way to portray things. :3:

Episode 10's ending made everything make so much sense, and it was just completely adorable. I think "Be my coach, Victor!" is my favorite scene in the whole show.

I'm really glad my husband wasn't home last night while I watched the last episode. I was sobbing while watching Yuri's free skate, and I screamed at my TV when the couples skate scene started. It was pretty intense. I'm not really ashamed, because it's a pretty big compliment to the show that its character development and emotions can make the viewer so involved.

There had better be a season two! I need more of this!!

As an aside, I really enjoyed Suwabe Junichi in this role. I'm an otome game junkie (no thanks to Vibrating Sheep and his wonderful LP!) and his biggest roles that I'm familiar with are the tough guy from Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3 and the smarmy horn dog (ugh) in Uta no Prince Sama, both of which utilize a deeper voice. It was really fun to hear him change it up and speak in a lighter, more carefree manner. It actually took me until episode 4 to catch on that it was him, so I'm glad he's got more range and isn't as typecast as I thought. :shobon:

I also loved Toyonaga Toshiyuki's performance. Really, everyone was fantastic, but the little things the quaver in his voice during emotional scenes were great.

Please pardon the long post, I basically have nobody to talk to about this in real life besides two bums who haven't watched until the end yet. Also am I the only one who spams "You Only Live Once" on the ipod all day? :allears:

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 22, 2016

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Cheese Pain posted:

Also am I the only one who spams "You Only Live Once" on the ipod all day? :allears:

Theme of king jj forever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's not how animation, budgeting, or quality works

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Girlfriend just watched the finale and I took the excuse to rewatch it with her. Her opinion was more or less the same as mine, only she didn't know it was the finale so she was like "Wait what? The episode was loving great but it wasn't an ending at all." which like...kind of sums up my issues with it I guess haha.

Cheese Pain posted:

Please pardon the long post, I basically have nobody to talk to about this in real life besides two bums who haven't watched until the end yet. Also am I the only one who spams "You Only Live Once" on the ipod all day? :allears:

Well, I'm not doing that...because I'm playing Theme of King JJ instead. Haha but I love the soundtrack of the entire show.

Cheese Pain posted:

I sincerely love the fact that Victor and Yuri genuinely care about each other and everyone they know completely accepts it. Nobody says anything like, "But you're both guys!" or objects to it whatsoever. It's awesome that Pichit is just really freaking excited that his buddy got engaged. I think it's just such an awesome way to portray things. :3:

This was one of my favorite things about the anime as well. It looked really nice to just focus on the two being happy and having feelings for each other without anyone being weirded out by it. I was a huge fan of that.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Legs Benedict posted:

Theme of king jj forever

That reminds me: As a Canadian, I liked that JJ is portrayed as an egotistical rear end instead of being an ultra polite maple syrup lover.

Maybe his childhood had something to do with it?
http://vikktuuri.tumblr.com/post/154779456813/miss-cigarettes-but-why-nobody-is-talking-about

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Them of King JJ or bust!

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
If you aren't blasting King of JJ with Canadian flags a-flyin' I question how you live your life.

Cheese Pain posted:

As an aside, I really enjoyed Suwabe Junichi in this role. I'm an otome game junkie (no thanks to Vibrating Sheep and his wonderful LP!) and his biggest roles that I'm familiar with are the tough guy from Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3 and the smarmy horn dog (ugh) in Uta no Prince Sama, both of which utilize a deeper voice. It was really fun to hear him change it up and speak in a lighter, more carefree manner. It actually took me until episode 4 to catch on that it was him, so I'm glad he's got more range and isn't as typecast as I thought. :shobon:

Same, I really enjoyed Suwabe's performance and I'm glad he got a role that was a little more nuanced than what he might normally do. I can't imagine anyone else as Viktor, he really added to the character. That can be said about most of them, actually (my only exception is Hosoyan as Otabek; he did a great job but you can't really tell it's him) so hats off to everyone involved in casting.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Shall We Skate???

Yes, yes we shall :allears:

The entire soundtrack is tops though and I'm glad the theme we hear the most (Yuri on ICE) is *really* good. Though it makes me wonder what the original composition was since he didn't use it in the last competition because it wasn't good enough. Clearly his friend is talented enough to compose fire, so what did it sound like? The only theme I'm not too in love with is Anastasis (sp?).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't know why people are so hung up on how you don't actually see the lips touch in The Kiss. I mean, I know it probably comes from a place of just wanting an anime to stop dancing around the question and just lay it on the table with regards to queer relationships, and I get it, but really don't think there's any room for ambiguity there. You see their lips in like very deliberate detail drawing together, the room goes silent, and then cuts to gasps and slack-jawed surprise from everyone watching. I don't think you could get more unambiguous without putting a neon sign over them flashing "THIS IS NOT JUST QUEERBAIT"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hopeford posted:

This was one of my favorite things about the anime as well. It looked really nice to just focus on the two being happy and having feelings for each other without anyone being weirded out by it. I was a huge fan of that.

I think it's also to soothe any concerns from the viewer with regards to Victor as a Russian in a homosexual relationship. "Hey isn't this literally illegal back in Ru-" "Shhhhhh... Just enjoy the show"

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

that's not how animation, budgeting, or quality works

I don't know much so I assumed it was them straining the resources and leaving some janky frames in?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Celery Jello posted:

I don't know much so I assumed it was them straining the resources and leaving some janky frames in?

Picking out weird looking frames or distance shots really doesn't mean anything.

This tweet is a much better example of YoI's production problems:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/811648700296626181

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/811648869524246529

Yeah they had so little time to work on this final episode that they had more than three key artists per *minute* of the show. That's nuts.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 22, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Fangz posted:

Picking out weird looking frames or distance shots really doesn't mean anything.

This tweet is a much better example of YoI's production problems:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/811648700296626181

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/811648869524246529

Yeah they had so little time to work on this final episode that they had more than three key artists per *minute* of the show. That's nuts.

Wonder if the production was a mess from the start or if the finale was like that because they had to redraw a couple scenes to change the last episode to make a season 2 more feasible.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Yuri in episode 12: "I'm a dime-a-dozen Japanese figure skater."

Proceeds to set a world record score.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hopeford posted:

Wonder if the production was a mess from the start or if the finale was like that because they had to redraw a couple scenes to change the last episode to make a season 2 more feasible.

I think we first saw problems with the production with episode um... 4? Where they missed the crunchyroll deadline and ended up submitting a preliminary version that hadn't had final checks and some post-processing done. I think it's been a difficult production all the way through.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Fangz posted:

I think we first saw problems with the production with episode um... 4? Where they missed the crunchyroll deadline and ended up submitting a preliminary version that hadn't had final checks and some post-processing done. I think it's been a difficult production all the way through.

Huh I didn't know about that. I only started watching once the anime was around episode 9 or 10, so I must've missed that. How big were the differences between the final version and that one? Did they ever end up fixing the cruncyroll version?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fangz posted:

I distinctly remember reading about them rushing out episode 10 just minutes before the deadline, and general grumbling that they have trouble in producing the content. It's been going on for a while. Even if an they reworked the finale to account for a second season, the production problems definitely predate the finale itself.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hopeford posted:

Huh I didn't know about that. I only started watching once the anime was around episode 9 or 10, so I must've missed that. How big were the differences between the final version and that one? Did they ever end up fixing the cruncyroll version?

I think it was mostly minor stuff. Reworked fog in the bathhouse scenes, a few faces got reworked to be more on model, I think one character was wearing the wrong costume in a bit.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Adel posted:

If you aren't blasting King of JJ with Canadian flags a-flyin' I question how you live your life.

Same, I really enjoyed Suwabe's performance and I'm glad he got a role that was a little more nuanced than what he might normally do. I can't imagine anyone else as Viktor, he really added to the character. That can be said about most of them, actually (my only exception is Hosoyan as Otabek; he did a great job but you can't really tell it's him) so hats off to everyone involved in casting.

I might be the odd one out, because I was hoping JJ would break his leg during the final. :laugh: The whole soundtrack is amazing, though. I love the two In Regards to Love songs especially.

Suwabe is also an award-winning singer, so I'd totally be down for drunken karaoke with Victor next season. That would be awesome.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Yuri in episode 12: "I'm a dime-a-dozen Japanese figure skater."

Proceeds to set a world record score.

This is one of my favorite things about Yuuri, he's such an unreliable narrator when it comes to judging his own achievements. He paints himself as this boring loser that can't do anything right and then it turns out he's just Japan's ace, no big deal right.

Edit:

Cheese Pain posted:

I might be the odd one out, because I was hoping JJ would break his leg during the final. :laugh: The whole soundtrack is amazing, though. I love the two In Regards to Love songs especially.

Suwabe is also an award-winning singer, so I'd totally be down for drunken karaoke with Victor next season. That would be awesome.

You evil monster :allears:

Mamo is also an amazing singer so I fully expect a King of JJ cover from him. Actually, they should just do a dumb radio drama of Yuri!!! At Karaoke. And then do a live so Suwabe can ham it up while singing the OP.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 22, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Fangz posted:

I think it was mostly minor stuff. Reworked fog in the bathhouse scenes, a few faces got reworked to be more on model, I think one character was wearing the wrong costume in a bit.

That's interesting, thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fangz posted:

Was that the episode where Victor was magically observing Yurio's rehearsal in Russia?

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Yuzuru isn't skating in the Japanese Nationals, though still excited to see Shomo Uno skate.

Shomo doing some new combos:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x561bf0_4f-4t-3t-4f-3t_sport

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Shoma is adorable and I hope he does well in the Nationals.

Edit: Apparently some livestreams have popped up. I can verify that this one works in the US.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

wasn't gonna happen, even in the 2am timeslot, I think. At least not in 2016. give it a few years

I 'unno, it's not exactly unheard of for anime to include gay couples locking lips onscreen, even when gay romance is not the core premise. No.6, From The New World, and Bodacious Space Pirates come to mind. I mean, yeah, all of those are sci-fi, but is that really that huge a gap in anime? BSP is especially striking - it just seems odd to me that the gay couple in the mild, charmingly bland show about fantasy space physics and fantasy space business management would share more explicit, on-screen romantic affection than the main gay couple in the thirsty, passionate show about thirsty, passionate ice-skaters.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 23, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah the lack of on-screen kisses etc aren't some weird hand of censorship god stuff, it's a choice the creators made. tbh I don't feel like excusing them for being coy about it in ep7 and then holding any further ones for an unconfirmed s2.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

cut the middle man and just make a slice of life show set in Nichome imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Btw it's kind of fun to do Google street view in the city Hasetsu is based off of, Karatsu.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So there's the JJ being a south park character as a kid but it needs to also be said that his last name sounds like "the king" in french :lol:

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

dogsicle posted:

yeah the lack of on-screen kisses etc aren't some weird hand of censorship god stuff, it's a choice the creators made. tbh I don't feel like excusing them for being coy about it in ep7 and then holding any further ones for an unconfirmed s2.
I wanted an on screen kiss between Yuri and Victor, but I also understand why the creators didn't do it. Kubo is a huge fan of gay stuff so the kiss didn't happen not because of trying to just have the show as bait but rather that they are the main couple and ambiguity sells and keeps people hooked in. They are wearing their rings at the end, so they are still together but who knows if they are still coach/student or competitors (or both? Turns out you can do both in America; not sure what the rules are for Russia). The story of Yuri and Victor felt incomplete because it is. There's very few manga/anime where the mains get together and have a clear relationship in the mid point of the story. The only one coming to my mind is "Jitsu wa Watashi...".
I get why a lot of people wanted to see a kiss and are upset that it didn't happen. YOI felt really fresh for how they treated gay characters and romance. I'm hooked for season 2 and I hope that we get some OVAs to tide us over for however long it takes to get season 2.

Something else that's drat adorable if true (it's hard to tell), it looks like Yurio is wearing Otabek's scarf in the last scene.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I came here to post that screencap

and this one

:3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

I wanted an on screen kiss between Yuri and Victor, but I also understand why the creators didn't do it. Kubo is a huge fan of gay stuff so the kiss didn't happen not because of trying to just have the show as bait but rather that they are the main couple and ambiguity sells and keeps people hooked in. They are wearing their rings at the end, so they are still together but who knows if they are still coach/student or competitors (or both? Turns out you can do both in America; not sure what the rules are for Russia). The story of Yuri and Victor felt incomplete because it is. There's very few manga/anime where the mains get together and have a clear relationship in the mid point of the story. The only one coming to my mind is "Jitsu wa Watashi...".
I get why a lot of people wanted to see a kiss and are upset that it didn't happen. YOI felt really fresh for how they treated gay characters and romance. I'm hooked for season 2 and I hope that we get some OVAs to tide us over for however long it takes to get season 2.

Something else that's drat adorable if true (it's hard to tell), it looks like Yurio is wearing Otabek's scarf in the last scene.

There's also My Love Story (Ore Monogatari), Girl Friends, and Lovely Complex. In fact, the main couple in My Love Story get together in the very first few episodes, and the main thrust of the show is about them negotiating the various challenges of their relationship.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Oh my god it gets better the more I look at it. It has selfie sticks and it's a love story between Phichit & his phone.

I think Phichit really ended up being my favorite character in the whole show.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Phichit was incredibly charming :3:

I'm kinda glad JJ got knocked back a little but his fans' response was really touching :unsmith:

All the free skates were really powerful and I liked the little bit of personal drama Yuri and Viktor went through in the last couple episodes, can totally get being frustrated that the finale leaves their relationship unnamed but I really liked where they left them with regards to their careers. Hopefully their confidence in getting another season isn't misplaced

Oh, who was the dark haired boy watching online with the dog? I'm definitely interested in seeing everyone again at this Four Continents thing he mentions

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

personally I think ambiguity is more frustrating and this is a problem that could easily be solved, but here we are. I'm not interested in making justifications because I feel like they dropped the ball, in a sense, with these last two episodes. the s2 announcement better come sooner rather than later, because even that is just another thing about this show that's frustratingly ambiguous. the fact that I'm on the hook for a potential second season is not a good feeling either.

e: and ultimately it's not about a kiss, it's just about there being something explicitly defined/not shied away from in the relationship. a love confession is more lowkey and would've worked fine.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Dark haired boy is Seung-gil Lee, a Korean skater. He's a cutie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tomie knows me posted:

Dark haired boy is Seung-gil Lee, a Korean skater. He's a cutie.

Yeah! :3:

I would also like to pet his good dog

• Locked thread