Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

The best part of EX-Aid for me right now is that Kiriya is literally just Doctor House but he's played by a Japanese man.

Like he's a loving direct copy; some super intelligent dude who doesn't play by the rules with a secret past trauma that makes him think everyone's a liar and there's no use telling the truth who just willingly breaks laws to get what he wants and is obsessed with solving difficult illnesses more then helping patients. Plus he turns into a Motorcycle like House's obsession with them and wears sweet rear end clothes like Hawaiian shirts and red leather jackets.

Just make the show about Laser already. He's clearly the best dude.

Dr. House is just American Black Jack anyway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kamen Rider Lazer spin off movie thanks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lazers upgrade should have been a side car

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Kamen Rider Lazer spin off movie thanks

I'd take a Lazer spinoff movie that's just depicting him going around and lackadaisically getting poo poo done in the off-screen gaps while the other Riders are being morons fighting each other. With plenty of weird outfits and bad sarcastic jokes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
only if his movie-only upgrade is a side-car

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if lazer and snipe even slightly toned down their bullshit they could easily work together. their goals don't clash at all.

i don't really see that happening though, as all character development has to involve emu.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
An earnest or honest team-up is not going to happen without a major moment for the character because Snipe's entire thing is trying to prove he's the only one they need because he's still really mad that CR basically kicked him to the gutter once the whole initial incident had wound down, though that may be because they were concerned him using the proto-gashat for Bang Bang Shooting was killing him. His attitude becomes a lot easier to accept when you realise where Taiga is coming from with his history.

Also Hiiro isn't nearly so bad as you might think, they've been giving lots of small physical cues here and there that Emu is breaking down his walls but a combination of hubris and an obsession with vengeance has made the process slower. Hubris and pride seem to be the main failures of pretty much every single Rider in this series and I like that. Then again it might also be because I just got done watching KR Blade from start to finish in a big marathon and those guys never had their poo poo together and it was fantastic and I never want these Doctor Idiots to get it together enough to fight as a cohesive unit till the last few episodes if at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

The best part of EX-Aid for me right now is that Kiriya is literally just Doctor House but he's played by a Japanese man.

Like he's a loving direct copy; some super intelligent dude who doesn't play by the rules with a secret past trauma that makes him think everyone's a liar and there's no use telling the truth who just willingly breaks laws to get what he wants and is obsessed with solving difficult illnesses more then helping patients. Plus he turns into a Motorcycle like House's obsession with them and wears sweet rear end clothes like Hawaiian shirts and red leather jackets.

Just make the show about Laser already. He's clearly the best dude.

Too bad he works in a morgue and is thus a filthy untouchable for working with dead bodies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Don't know if it's been mentioned before but the full version of EXCITE (Ex-Aid's opening song) is out now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QBJC9Wt4U

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 21, 2016

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Imo the writing has been the absolute weakest part of Ex-Aid so far, I really just haven't been feeling it. The action scenes, suitwork, effects, and suit design (yes I love the suits even with how garish they are) have been a real blast but the actual plot and characters have been either boring or stupid. Doesn't feel like the video game gimmick has been handled that well, either.

I really want to like Ex-Aid, I really really want to. But it's just not really clicking.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Imo the writing has been the absolute weakest part of Ex-Aid so far, I really just haven't been feeling it. The action scenes, suitwork, effects, and suit design (yes I love the suits even with how garish they are) have been a real blast but the actual plot and characters have been either boring or stupid. Doesn't feel like the video game gimmick has been handled that well, either.

I really want to like Ex-Aid, I really really want to. But it's just not really clicking.

Yeah I'm finding it difficult to see this being A Good Show if things keep going the way they are because the show's been riding entirely on "This is so loving stupid and I love every second of it" spectacle which can only go so far. Then again we're barely a fifth of the way through and even Ghost got good for a time around this point so we'll see what happens.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 21, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if it turns out to not be good overall that doesn't mean it will be bad start to finish. drive started out kind of lackluster too, so you never know.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ex-Aid's the first Kamen Rider I'm watching "live" so I have a soft spot for it, but I agree it kinda needs a kick in the pants right now. Maybe next episode will do that? I did just complain a bunch about it, but at the very least it might be a catalyst for interesting changes in the show's format and a way to get away from or damp down the early Monster of the Week stuff..

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Ex-Aid's the first Kamen Rider I'm watching "live" so I have a soft spot for it, but I agree it kinda needs a kick in the pants right now. Maybe next episode will do that? I did just complain a bunch about it, but at the very least it might be a catalyst for interesting changes in the show's format and a way to get away from or damp down the early Monster of the Week stuff..

It could be worse. Your first Rider series that you watched live could've been Wizard. Like me :suicide:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Xelkelvos posted:

It could be worse. Your first Rider series that you watched live could've been Wizard. Like me :suicide:

Considering the dipshit that was working on Wizard also has his hand in this one, it's like living it all over again.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Condolences.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Considering the dipshit that was working on Wizard also has his hand in this one, it's like living it all over again.

Emu is more interesting than a protagonist than whoever the gently caress was in Wizard, so that's an improvement. I like how Emu's optimism and positivity are seen as good but flawed and that he dislikes having to bluff and lie to get the three stooges to work together. Meanwhile Wizard is :geno: to the max.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Deleter posted:

Condolences.

Emu is more interesting than a protagonist than whoever the gently caress was in Wizard, so that's an improvement. I like how Emu's optimism and positivity are seen as good but flawed and that he dislikes having to bluff and lie to get the three stooges to work together. Meanwhile Wizard is :geno: to the max.

Yeah, Wizard had the best Rider suit(s) in years, but the character himself was almost as :effort: as Takaharu in NinNin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, Wizard had the best Rider suit(s) in years, but the character himself was almost as :effort: as Takaharu in NinNin.

And (as has been said every time it comes up), it's not like Haruto's actor is bad. The few episodes where he gets to ham it up, he's amazing. The problem is that A. There's so few of them and B. he's otherwise written as :geno: to the max

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's the thing about Wizard. It demonstrates that its cast could be useful and entertaining, it just chooses not to bother more often than not. The opening to Ultimatum is especially disconcerting since you have the secondary cast actually doing things during a fight, while in the show they just sit or stand around.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
(ExAid Spoilers) So DoReMiFa Beat has been consigned to my second favourite jingle now.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Xelkelvos posted:

:gonk::hf::gonk:
I had just finished W right before Wizard too. What a loving drop that was.

Xelkelvos posted:

And (as has been said every time it comes up), it's not like Haruto's actor is bad. The few episodes where he gets to ham it up, he's amazing. The problem is that A. There's so few of them and B. he's otherwise written as :geno: to the max

I keep saying that Haruto is as bland as those plain sugar donuts that he eats.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm just mad Wizard pissed away talent like Shunya Shiraishi.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So evidently Goldar is called that in the movie because he's just literally made out of gold.

I get the idea there, since her minions are made out of clay the important guy is forged from a more valuable substance, but it just makes the toy at least look like it wasn't painted.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Maybe I need to try watching Wizard again now that I've seen a lot more Kamen Rider, but I liked what I saw of it (up to getting the infinity dragon form) way more than Ghost. As much as I love Alain I was generally more entertained on an episode by episode basis by Wizard. Might be that I was watching it with friends and things were fresh and new to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"It's more entertaining than Ghost" is really damning with faint praise.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Wizard and Ghost both have the pieces of what should have been a cool show. Infinity Form is probably my favorite rider suit of all time, and the way it leans into its "mirrors reflecting into each other" theme is really cool, but it has the same problem as Ghost's Mugen form. That is, in a shorter/less crass format of show, they would have been reserved for like a 2 or 3 episode finale because both of those forms imply the type of power that should result in their respective Riders pretty much ascending to godhood like what happened to Gaim.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'm pretty much digging every bit of EX-AID right now and I think the writing is actually pretty good (my favourite Rider series is Drive if that helps diagnose my brain damage). But regardless yeah this was the big end of the first arc of the show, and the preview for the next episode looks like it's about to shake things up as it goes into the next big arc. I suspect the next arc's big thing is just going to be figuring out what the hell's up with Emu. Specifically I mean. I figure they'll stick to the usual form and keep what the heck is going on with the Bugsters off the table for a while.

Just don't hope for everyone to stop being self-impeding dickheads any time soon cause everyone getting their poo poo together is just not happening for a while, I feel.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

So evidently Goldar is called that in the movie because he's just literally made out of gold.

I get the idea there, since her minions are made out of clay the important guy is forged from a more valuable substance, but it just makes the toy at least look like it wasn't painted.

Gold Plastic Syndrome is a feature now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So it looks a bit better, but it still looks like they forgot to paint him.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So the thing is is that those Power Rangers still look like blobs of melted plastic, but they still have some elements of color that break up their design, like their chestplates and the bits of silver. Goldar is just a lump of gold. He might look good, or at least more detailed, in the actual movie, but he looks awful as a toy.

I know Power Ranger toys are the cheapest poo poo imaginable but this is a laugh riot.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oushi Black is a robot, built for wrestling.

:allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Meet the Kyuuuuuuuuuurangers!

*Shishi Red is said to be “born lucky,” which gives him special guidance in fights. He is called The Very Lucky Greatest Star!
*Ookami Blue is a Jyujin (literally “BeastMan”) who specializes in “wild” combat. He is nicknamed The Space Wolf.
*Oushi Black is a robot, built for wrestling. His title is Raging Bull Wrestler!
*Tenbin Gold is an android nicknamed The Mechaman with the power to control other machines.
*Hebitsuki Silver is an alien with a special power to paralyze opponents- earning him the moniker Psychic Guy.
*Sasori Orange is a veteran warrior who uses poisonous techniques- earning him a reputation as The Stinger Soldier.
*Chameleon Green is a ninja-alien who can change her body colors to hide in plain sight. She is called The Surprise Ninja.
*Washi Pink is an android designed with enhanced speed & flight capabilities, nicknamed The Super Flying Warrior!
*Kajiki Yellow is a chef, and fights chiefly with blade weapons. He’s been labeled The Finishing Move Chef!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So they saw that having beastmen as Rangers worked so they threw everything they could find in.

I love this Sentai.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I say this every other year, but this is the sentai I'll watch as it airs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Saint Seiya Rangers sounds amazing and I can't wait to see how they fumble it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The costume design is good and the characters sound good, so of course it's going to be bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The costume design is good and the characters sound good, so of course it's going to be bad.

drat you for being right

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Tonight in "Things I had never considered wanting until I knew about them": Final Fantasy 14 and loving Garo are having a crossover event.

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/812541928663351296

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm not a huge Garo fan, but I'm really looking forward to that event. Rad armor and mounts are always good.

e: I'll even give Garo another shot because of this.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I didn't bother to resub for the yokai watch collab but im marking the gently caress out for some Garo glams

• Locked thread