Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Overdrift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONBWBj9LnXQ
Adam Savage explores the Rocinante with a 360° camera. This sounds pretty awesome but it's not available in Canada, has anyone been able to find an international mirror that works with the 360°?

I used Hola in my desktop browser which was fine, but would be cool to see natively with my cardboard headset on mobile...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Must've just been a staggered rollout on Amazon Prime availability; my video app just updated, and I can watch for free now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Region blocking is the dumbest poo poo, specially for minor promotional things.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm rewatching this because I'm reading the new book, and while there are a bunch of choices that are great, the casting for Avasarala is the most perfect thing.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: no human has been farther than low Earth orbit in forty‐four years.

The youngest person to exceed that altitude is now eighty years old.

Yeah, we've pretty much abandoned space, except for, you know, the massive satellite network, the orbital space stations, and the robotic probes we send to other planets.

If computer tech had never advanced beyond what we had in the early 70s, we'd need a lot more humans in space for what we have, but sending humans into space is expensive and dangerous and things like asteroid mining and extra-solar exploration can be entirely or almost entirely automated. Honestly the least plausible part of The Expanse is how many humans are in the Belt. I could see the big ships and stations needing a small crew just to manage everything (and keep an eye on the expensive equipment), but most of the workaday asteroid mining should really be being done by robots.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
We've yet to really monetize space, which is necessary for its colonization. The sat network is valuable, but it is ultimately a means to augment the ground-based economy. In order to really colonize space, it needs to provide something unavailable earthside. Not the moon, it's too carbon poor to support a proper biosphere, and He3 concentrations are still too low to be economically viable. Heavy metals are a good option, most of the Earth's heavy elements have sunk to the planet's core, completely out of reach, while the remnants of the dwarf planet that was shattered into the asteroid belt have all their juicy golds and palladiums and platinums exposed, waiting for some enterprising soul to ship it to market. Orbital manufacturing plants may be another good option, you can vary the g's on an object as it is produced, which could be of value.

I have a suspicion that getting over the initial hump to colonize space is the real hurdle. Right now, it is not economically viable to get into space, and Earth remains the centre of the human world. But, once we have successfully colonized the solar system, the sheer amount of resources outside of gravity wells will make Earth an economic backwater. The tricky part is getting from A to B, there is not yet any economic incentive to take the first few steps.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, one significant hurdle is that the Belt is actually pretty far away. Ceres has an orbital time of more than four Earth years whereas Mars' orbit is a little less than two. Under fairly optimal conditions for both objects, it would still take about twice as long to get to Ceres as Mars (already a long trip), but because Ceres and the other Belt objects have long, eccentric orbits, the ideal travel window is much smaller and if you miss it you have to wait several years before you can try another trip. You'd also likely have to make that same years long wait to get back. Right now, the biggest issues are travel time (too long for a human crew) and fuel use (even if you can get there and back on a single tank, actually mining and retrieving materials adds to your fuel use, which means you have to carry more weight in fuel, which adds to your fuel use, etc.), so practical asteroid mining (at least in the Belt) will almost certainly require massive leaps in propulsion technology.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I started watching this and it's a bit slow. When does it pick up?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Around the third or fourth episode. The first two episodes are mostly introducing the setting and the characters. After that, there's more direct action (as opposed to people watching things happen or arguing about what to do) and the mystery plot becomes more focused as they actually start piecing things together. You also get to know the characters better so there's way less "what's this dude's deal again?" to wade through.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I actually thought the second episode was way too much of a "stranded in space" cliché and it nearly put me off. Shouldn't have taken a whole episode.

"Donkeyballs" however was memorable.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Evernoob posted:

I actually thought the second episode was way too much of a "stranded in space" cliché and it nearly put me off. Shouldn't have taken a whole episode.

It doesn't even happen in the book. I don't know if they thought it would help with characterization, or if they just needed to stretch things out to have the season end where they wanted it to, or what.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm rewatching this because I'm reading the new book, and while there are a bunch of choices that are great, the casting for Avasarala is the most perfect thing.

It's a shame she can't curse like a sailor.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Toast Museum posted:

It doesn't even happen in the book. I don't know if they thought it would help with characterization, or if they just needed to stretch things out to have the season end where they wanted it to, or what.

They wanted to establish the crews characters and give all of them some time to shine and show their competency. In particular they wanted to flesh out the doctor more ahead of the events that would follow. As it was it helped really with Amos.

I genuinely liked that change and some of the ways it shifted around when events occurred from in the book.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I used Hola in my desktop browser which was fine, but would be cool to see natively with my cardboard headset on mobile...

Just an FYI...
I'd stop using Hola if I were you.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Skinty McEdger posted:

They wanted to establish the crews characters and give all of them some time to shine and show their competency. In particular they wanted to flesh out the doctor more ahead of the events that would follow. As it was it helped really with Amos.

I genuinely liked that change and some of the ways it shifted around when events occurred from in the book.

Yeah, I almost mentioned Shed. For all that he doesn't last much longer than in the book, he's definitely a more interesting character on the show.

I'm iffy on some of the changes to Amos. For all that he hasn't said a ton, he's already noticeably freer with details about his past than his book version, for instance. Overall, though, I have to agree that the show benefits from the protagonists behaving less like a party of player characters at the outset.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Best thing the show did was introducing Avasarala early. I could listen to her speak for hours.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

We could totally build a civilization in big orbiting O'Neil cylinders, the theory is all sound and we even have the tech to do most of it right now. I'm sure there's be unexpected engineering and biological hurdles though. Biospheres get easier the bigger they are, but even a huge 10x2km tube or what ever is a spec compared to the earth. And even if we had thousands of pairs of tubes in orbit that were stable and self-sufficient, the earth will always be a treasure for its biodiversity. Everything in space will be a very simple "life web" or what ever entirely devoted to supporting humans and nothing else. Does it make air? Can we eat it? If not, we're probably not going to go to much trouble getting it rooted up in space with us. And yeah, terraforming mars is a pipe dream even with like 500 years from now super tech. It's going to be space tubes all the way down.

What I think the interesting question is how space resources will be distributed. Will they be used to make earth a paradise and clean up the environment as most all heavy industry and resource gathering is done in space, or will space go all FYGM and build their own paradise while earth becomes obsolete for anything other than biology and tourism. Or will space be oppressed and used to prop up an ever-expanding earth, addicted to them space resources? I think it would really depend on the political and economic situation in the future.

The main reason we don't build our current space stations are permanent instillation is we still don't know how to stop the bacteria, mold, and fungus from slowly eating the station.

http://www.rense.com/general8/mir.htm
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast26nov_1

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DrPlump posted:

The main reason we don't build our current space stations are permanent instillation is we still don't know how to stop the bacteria, mold, and fungus from slowly eating the station.

http://www.rense.com/general8/mir.htm
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast26nov_1

Rense.com? That guy makes Alex Jones look sane.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lilikoi posted:

Best thing the show did was introducing Avasarala early. I could listen to her speak for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKJoEO21s0

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://youtu.be/x3v9gUNAZGg

Short new trailer, seems to show Prax and Dresden (although we saw Dresden in season 1). Also shows some of the scenes from book one that didn't make it into season 1. Miller in the middle of the blue sparkles of the protomolecule before he joins with the Julie thing. I'm also guessing that shows the scene with Dresden right before Miller shoots him in the loving face

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oooooooo lots of fireflies!

Also, how long this gets region locked, because I'm in Europe and could watch it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oooooooo lots of fireflies!

Also, how long this gets region locked, because I'm in Europe and could watch it.

reporting you to the fcc, you are stealing content meant for my special eyes. If u saw it that means there wasnt enough bits for a american!!!

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Aw, did Miller cut his terrible/amazing hair?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Lilikoi posted:

Looks like

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm excited for Season 2 because it means the return of Fred Johnson to install people's cable, between the hours of 12 and 4.

After installing the cable, he will murder you.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Having just rewatched the first season, one thing I noticed is that the stand-in for middle fingers has become that circle-with-your-thumb-and-index-finger thing that kids used to use in the locker room to get an excuse to slug each other in the arm. It's brilliant.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

like this?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, with the other three fingers outstretched, actually. Like this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I didn't notice it while watching, but it looks like maybe they were going for the ASL sign for "rear end in a top hat":

Edit: goddamn, I forget that phone screenshots are huge.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 27, 2016

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That could be the case, actually, with the Belters' tendency to use physical gestures to supplement their language and all.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you can't see someone do it wearing bulky space suit the belters have replaced it with something cooler.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The Muffinlord posted:

gently caress. Alright, let's get this over with, where do you live.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lilikoi posted:

It's amazing

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Muffinlord posted:

You motherfucker!

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Don't think I have to explain this particular Belter expression

Under thrust so what

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Didn't realize Terry loving Chen was casted. Hype is immense.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Space Pussy posted:

Are all your plans this vague?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Space Pussy posted:

Apparently he's playing Prax. Kind of weird casting; I don't really get a nebbishy scientist vibe from him.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, he's one of these scifi This Guy-s. Seeing him somewhere makes me assume, usually correctly, that a whole lot more of the standard Vancouver scifi alum is around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Space Pussy posted:

Indeed, didn't know we needed "generic asian martial artist space dude with a sword and a hidden past" up in this already great series.

• Locked thread