Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember being told somewhere that the Deng deal wasn't bad because he could contribute while not blocking the young guys and they'd still have enough money next summer for someone else

The general idea was that he would start until (if ever) Ingram was ready to provide some stability to the starting unit and give Russell someone to pass to who wasn't an offensive problem, and someone who could also create his own shot if necessary. Didn't work out early in the season, but he has been showing signs of life lately.

A reasonable projection for the Lakers is probably ~17 mil next offseason (going by the July salary cap projection, although I seem to recall a more optimistic projection came out recently), and that's assuming Nick Young takes his player option. If they wanted to clear up more they have some interesting things they could do via the stretch that could open up a lot of money but, considering who's likely to be available and who's likely to move (especially in light of the new super extension), I'm not exactly expecting they'll even need 17 mil though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

While still overpaid, Deng has atleast started to look like the guy he was last season recently. Getting into double digits consistently with some rebounding and reasonable defense. I'm still much happier with having him on that contract than having tried to get Evan Turner or Kent Bazremore, 2 of the guys a lot of Lakers fans were clamoring for last offseason.

Actually his stats in 11 games in december are fine, 10 and 5 on 47% FG and 36% from 3pt

I would've rather had Bazemore for defense, but he turned the Lakers down even though they offered more money than Atlanta because they didn't pick his option up a couple years ago. Which I mean, would've been a bad move for them to do at the time but what're you gonna do, I can't blame the guy for feeling like that.

I think part of why Bazemore is having such a rough year now, is that Atlanta's offense got Dwight Howarded.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dante Exum's out a week due to plantar. All point guards will die in Utah.

Hire a sacrificial d-leaguer to take the next hit.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
well it's all over kristaps is down

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Nick Young is talking about how thick a Botero sculpture is on Instagram

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

well it's all over kristaps is down
George Karl strikes again

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

straight up brolic posted:

Nick Young is talking about how thick a Botero sculpture is on Instagram

Is it thick?

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I hate Meyers Leonard and would trade him for magic beans at this point

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Knicks when Rose is inactive or plays fewer than 10 minutes: 1-4, (three double digit losses)

Knicks when Rose plays more than 10 minutes: 15-9

Derrick.... Rose.... IS..... BACK BABY ?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/812117887389298688

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol this is cute. pop is right.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Hey, so did Harrison Barnes turn out to be good or not? I haven't heard much about him after the first week or 2.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thibs watching tape on pop saying he doesn't watch tape while bellowing at him wordlessly angrily shaking a tape while swaddled in his black track suit made of tape

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Femur posted:

Hey, so did Harrison Barnes turn out to be good or not? I haven't heard much about him after the first week or 2.
he is good, but worse than Kevin Durant

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Femur posted:

20 ppg on slightly worse percentages than last year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

now that the bulls appear headed for the lottery, it's time to start scouting for the draft. Here's the list of guys I think Gar is interested in:

http://www.cyclones.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
http://www.golobos.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Blazers are 8th seed at 13-17

that means the lakers are like 2 games back for the playoffs despite a billion injuries

the pelicans and timberwolves are 3 games back

the next 4 months are going to be a trashfire for that spot

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The West is pretty weak, makes you think

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Vucevic is a reckless untalented black hole and my opinion on him has nothing to do with what he did to my son

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

I love pop

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Last 2 years of that deal could be real bad.

$18,000,000/season to be one of the worst shooters in the league already.

Bashez posted:

I don't think Harden is much better offensively, with the exception of free throw rate which is still ungodly. For as much as people complained about Ginobili going to the line Harden still gets there 30% more. I think prime Ginobili in Houston's offense would be doing basically the same thing. The only significant difference between the two is that Ginobili was actually a great defender.

Their FG scoring is pretty close. Harden's FT production on a per 48 minute basis is nearly the best ever.

code:
FTNP/48		Player
4.64		Dolph Schayes
4.61		James Harden
4.55		Kevin Durant
4.51		Mack Calvin
4.43		Adrian Dantley
4.40		Paul Arizin
4.40		Corey Maggette
4.31		Jerry West
4.08		Bob Pettit
4.05		Michael Jordan

0.84		Alton Lister
0.84		Wilt Chamberlain
0.79		Bill Russell
0.77		Elmore Smith
0.76		Wes Unseld
0.64		Mark West
0.53		Dale Davis
0.39		Olden Polynice
-0.08		DeAndre Jordan
-0.10		Ben Wallace
FTNP/48 = (FT - .44 * FTA) / MP * 48

Also, very good at going to the line a ton:

code:
Player			Seasons with 790+ FTAs
Wilt Chamberlain	10
Oscar Robertson		6
Karl Malone		6
Shaquille O'Neal	4
David Robinson		4
Dwight Howard		4
Bob Pettit		4
Moses Malone		4
Michael Jordan		3
Adrian Dantley		3
Walt Bellamy		3
James Harden		3
Harden is still young and he also plays in a much slower era than some of those guys.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 23, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Manu's game was so artful, aside from the flopping, that's more comedia del arte, his passes, his weird personal rhythm. Harden is better, but we'll happily bore our kids with stories about Ginobli's magic passes when Harden is just another hall of famer who played a lot of very good basketball.

Manu has so much charisma, James Harden is the boring guy at the party with the most outlandish outfit

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

20 ppg on slightly worse percentages than last year

However he's right there with Wiggins for worst ws/48 for a 20 ppg player

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Stay Me7o, not Furious. The alternate title to Fast and Furious 7

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

Stay Me7o, not Furious. The alternate title to Fast and Furious 7

available only as a digital e-book

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone on reddit made a post to highlight how basketball dumb Ben McLemore is

code:
Player	        Min	Shooting Fouls	And-1’s	   % And-1	   3pt fouls
Ben McLemore	388	21	             9	      .429	   3
Darren Collison	627	23	             5	      .212	   1
Garrett Temple	689	36	             7	      .194	   2

quote:

Ben McLemore commits an inordinate number of fouls that turn into three-point play opportunities (“and-1’s”) and fouls an inordinate number of three point shooters compared to other guards on the Kings. These are the types of stupid plays that drive me as a viewer crazy.

Nearly half the time Ben McLemore fouls someone in the act of shooting, they freaking make it. In fact, Ben McLemore’s own shooting percentage (42.3%) is LOWER than the percentage of opponents’ shots after he’s FOULED them (42.9%). How is that even possible?

Who wants to trade for a potential 3-and-D guy???

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man everyone hates George Karl
https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/812088830945873924

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

available only as a digital e-book

Nah, he will release it chapter by chapter like Dickens. Delivered weekly to your watch for consumption. Stay Me7o

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Dumb struck that the Jays couldn't keep Edwin for that price

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Dumb struck that the Jays couldn't keep Edwin for that price

Lol at him pulling a durant

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh Wes Johnson. :allears:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/812181689539641344

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I really appreciate that George Karl said some dumb old man poo poo so that everyone in the league will be asked about it and receive a free pass to air their grievances

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I really appreciate that George Karl said some dumb old man poo poo so that everyone in the league will be asked about it and receive a free pass to air their grievances

Somebody should ask LA Defenders coach Coby Karl for thoughts on the issue.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Well it is festivus

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tae posted:

Blazers are 8th seed at 13-17

that means the lakers are like 2 games back for the playoffs despite a billion injuries

the pelicans and timberwolves are 3 games back

the next 4 months are going to be a trashfire for that spot

The Lakers, Pelicans and T Wolves are 11th, 12th and 13th, too.

NBA 3.0 in that #9 spot. What a mess down there

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

I can't stop laughing at the exasperated gesture he makes to the ref

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
oh my lourdt deandre done killed pau

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NickRoweFillea posted:

oh my lourdt deandre done killed pau

Nick you can't just post stuff like this in the N/V thread without a link

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
At least a few of the west teams are basically done with their hard games in a few weeks and I think you'll see the bottom of the west bump up a little bit.

They need to bring back that one couple that scheduled all the games because there were a lot of subtle things that were missing this season. There used to be rhyme and reason to when a game was, now it just feels very random, and random isn't good when it leads to thinks like not being able to go home and catch a game before Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It does seem like teams are playing eachother fairly close together (lots of home-and-homes), which is kind of an interesting change. Has there been a nerd analysis of the schedule differences this season yet?

• Locked thread