Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The joke is singer pop stars shacking up with brutal dictators and corrupt goombas in the Caribbean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just what it sounds like - rapping about conspiracy theories

diabolic is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsHqtB9xMUs

immortal technique does some too

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 05:46 on Dec 23, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/vulture/status/798395743807635456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/871006394

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm willing to wager that immortal technique hung out with cooler kids than Nerdcore Theater Idiot and Rachel Maddow Clone #431

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they hit all the high notes too

he mentions the following other videogames in the article: Super Mario 2 and Super Mario 3D World, Firewatch, Inside, That Dragon Cancer, dys4ia, and PaPo&Yo

so apperently he also mentions he wont allow his daughter to play mario games because of this but he will play her play a bunch are arty poo poo and a sad game about a dying child. WTF is wrong with this knobend.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so apperently he also mentions he wont allow his daughter to play mario games because of this but he will play her play a bunch are arty poo poo and a sad game about a dying child. WTF is wrong with this knobend.

Woke gamers, they play games but go on all the time about how gamers are all horrible people despite playing a shitload of video games.

Cyron has issued a correction as of 07:22 on Dec 23, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

like the concept of the article isn't even that bad it's just that he wrote it like such a snide self-indulgent jerk-off

it's the equivalent of writing an op-ed about how appalled they are that the new Bladerunner doesn't feature a female lead like the new star wars movies did, listing off a bunch of obscure art house films as examples of what every movie SHOULD be like, and how they refuse to let their daughter see it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2frJ3e0hxPE

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

like the concept of the article isn't even that bad it's just that he wrote it like such a snide self-indulgent jerk-off

it's the equivalent of writing an op-ed about how appalled they are that the new Bladerunner doesn't feature a female lead like the new star wars movies did, listing off a bunch of obscure art house films as examples of what every movie SHOULD be like, and how they refuse to let their daughter see it
also, a newspaper op-ed page shouldn't be copping the same subject matter and surface-level analysis from websites like Slate and HuffPo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so apperently he also mentions he wont allow his daughter to play mario games because of this
she's going to grow up to be an actual nazi in rebellion or something if he censors cartoon games from her for woke reasons
that's loving sad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cyron posted:

Woke gamers, they play games but go on all the time about how gamers are all horrible people despite playing a shitload of video games.

yeah except most of these jackoffs dont even play most games, they just play "indie" poo poo on steam or art stuff, then get asshurt when something like DOOM isnt like that.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

pretty much. the dude is hipster moral parasite. unless its "ART" its poo poo and should be ignored or "changed"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

she's going to grow up to be an actual nazi in rebellion or something if he censors cartoon games from her for woke reasons
that's loving sad

yeah i am curious how many of these kids are gonna end up being hard right from their jackoff "woke" parents. i know alot of the nerds fell in with the nazis/alt right (started out i mean) as a gently caress you to the Woke prudes who want to piss all over there various hobbies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i never thought i'd miss the days of Jack Thompson throwing fits over Doom, GTA, Mortal Kombat etc. thanks, terminally woke parents of 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

get that OUT of my face posted:

i never thought i'd miss the days of Jack Thompson throwing fits over Doom, GTA, Mortal Kombat etc. thanks, terminally woke parents of 2016

even on this site i see people raging about how nerds using the word "triggered" is the same as using the word "rape". i left the goon guild in guild wars 2 after i was given a warning for saying a i sleep with someone's mom joke. gently caress the woke, they are making more nazis then trump and alex jones.

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
My parents were reasonably woke back in the 80s and didn't want me playing with barbies because they thought it lead to a bad self-image or something, that lasted until I was like six and kept asking and asking for one and they finally had to get me a bunch. What I'm saying is that most of these guys are hot air and as soon as their kids can start pestering them for toys they'll give in because not one of them actually believes the stuff they're spouting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/24/8834027/video-game-violence-dehumanization

http://keithburgun.net/feministssocial-progressives-stop-making-excuses-for-violence-glorification/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/12/11914658/electronic-arts-e3-press-conference-gun-violence

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/14/gamers-mourn-orlando-victims-at-e3-and-see-no-link-between-gaming-and-gun-violence.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...t-10319985.html

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610273457582944256?lang=en

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610271596675117056?lang=en

dont worry. there is plenty of wannabe thompsons. they are just liberal instead so its ok and people will ignore them or cheer them on because they are "progressive".

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 08:15 on Dec 23, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so apperently he also mentions he wont allow his daughter to play mario games because of this

So some good came out of this saga after all.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

[The problem with these white people, these American blockheads, is that three out of five of them are idiots, and only two are in their right minds,]" Duterte said during a speech at the Convergence of Nanay Volunteers as Community Drug Watch in Pampanga.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Big Fat Iguana posted:

My parents were reasonably woke back in the 80s and didn't want me playing with barbies because they thought it lead to a bad self-image or something, that lasted until I was like six and kept asking and asking for one and they finally had to get me a bunch. What I'm saying is that most of these guys are hot air and as soon as their kids can start pestering them for toys they'll give in because not one of them actually believes the stuff they're spouting.

look that's understandable, eating disorders are some terrifying poo poo and you can make a case about presenting impossible standards and stuff
it's not the same as being too morally superior to play a goddamn cellphone mario game

like i'm not even against talking about the sexism in games and movies and maybe even avoiding things when they get a little gross or hateful. i don't even say gendered slurs.

but i find not even explaining that some people don't have the same viewpoints and maybe didn't think things through and just skipping to not letting the kid play the loving game because if she plays it she might... what? i find this stupider than my own parents fear that if i read harry potter i'd get demon possessed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

look that's understandable, eating disorders are some terrifying poo poo and you can make a case about presenting impossible standards and stuff
it's not the same as being too morally superior to play a goddamn cellphone mario game

like i'm not even against talking about the sexism in games and movies and maybe even avoiding things when they get a little gross or hateful. i don't even say gendered slurs.

but i find not even explaining that some people don't have the same viewpoints and maybe didn't think things through and just skipping to not letting the kid play the loving game because if she plays it she might... what? i find this stupider than my own parents fear that if i read harry potter i'd get demon possessed.

this. there is some hosed up sexist or gross poo poo in media when it comes to sexism. but like you said some of these people are going way to retardly far with it., they have basicaly become the left wing version of evangelicals.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's a way to talk about issues while remaining respectful and considerate of the "less enlightened" people. Such articles realize they need to fulfill a certain didactic function to be effective, and that in order to be didactic, they need to start out from a broadly relatable point and work gradually, in a structured fashion, to the for many people transgressive opinion that is their point.

However nowadays so many articles, like the Mario one, are written for the sole purpose of masturbating the author's ego and to challenge the world to a pissing match over wokeness, and as a result are antagonizing to everybody who doesn't already agree with him, and even to many people who do in fact principally hold the same views.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

another thing: this was a line of dialog in Smash 4. the greater context of their games matters and it's quite progressive. he did a whole lot of whining about nothing

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Cyron posted:

gently caress the woke, they are making more nazis then trump and alex jones.
now do you see what happens when you fire all the tone police?????????????

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

this is the stuff that really confuses me. it's like seeing the pendulum swing completely the other way. it used to be conservatives saying that games were violent and had to be banned, and progressives were adamant that it wasn't the case. now it's the people who claim to be progressive arguing those points.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

reactionary authoritarians coming of age today grew up learning that Republicans and the Right aren't cool and so they have taken on the trappings of the Left

people keep looking at politics from a generational point of view which is dumb as poo poo, politics is about human psychology

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

this is the stuff that really confuses me. it's like seeing the pendulum swing completely the other way. it used to be conservatives saying that games were violent and had to be banned, and progressives were adamant that it wasn't the case. now it's the people who claim to be progressive arguing those points.
And before that, in the 80s, it was Gore's wife, Tipper who was advocating for the labeling of record covers of releases featuring profane language, especially in the heavy metal, punk and hip hop genres. And it was generally perceived as a censorship campaign. And people remember her more for that than for advocating for mental health, homelessness, women and children. Tipper was also an LGBT rights activist while her husband was in office, despite him being not particularly in favor LGBT rights at the time. All that "censorship!" nonsense because she heard her then 11 years old daughter singing Darling Nikki by Prince. Well at least it wasn't Pussy control. Left and right it's always THINK OF THE CHILDREN or MY 8 YEAR CHILD.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Dec 23, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they hit all the high notes too

he mentions the following other videogames in the article: Super Mario 2 and Super Mario 3D World, Firewatch, Inside, That Dragon Cancer, dys4ia, and PaPo&Yo

Preventing a child from playing Super Mario games for vague political reasons is probably the most hosed up thing I've ever heard.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

In the 90s it was Joe Lieberman, then a prominent democrat, who was usually standing with those "family media" organizations to yell about violent video games and tits in movies.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Toplowtech posted:

And before that, in the 80s, it was Gore's wife, Tipper who was advocating for the labeling of record covers of releases featuring profane language, especially in the heavy metal, punk and hip hop genres. And it was generally perceived as a censorship campaign.

To be fair, it's not like she was all "this music is great too, we just want to protect kids from explicit stuff". She would have banned it if she could.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

[The problem with these white people, these American blockheads, is that three out of five of them are idiots, and only two are in their right minds,]" Duterte said during a speech at the Convergence of Nanay Volunteers as Community Drug Watch in Pampanga.

Close enough

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cyron posted:

i left the goon guild in guild wars 2 after i was given a warning for saying a i sleep with someone's mom joke. gently caress the woke, they are making more nazis then trump and alex jones.

this post is p much the distilled essence of why your apparent view on this subject is retarded and histrionic whether you noticed or not lol

hint: compare the sociopolitical influence as well as the regulatory and military power of the next president of the united states to "the goon guild in guild wars 2"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You should be able to sleep with anyone's mom that you want, except your own.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

THe concept of the article is actually terrible.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Cyron posted:

i left the goon guild in guild wars 2 after i was given a warning for saying a i sleep with someone's mom joke.

The goon guild in guild wars 2 has always been an extremely #woke #brand and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

To be fair, it's not like she was all "this music is great too, we just want to protect kids from explicit stuff". She would have banned it if she could.

well thats how alot of these people are. if they could they would ban that poo poo fast, but they settle for "criticism" and trying to browbeat and shame various devs. gently caress em. some of there points are solid but their are much better ways to go about it. plus most of these clowns arnt even fans of the medium. they just play the poo poo their hipster friends make or walking sims. those arnt bad but that isn't a solid bedrock for opinions on games, espcialy if you wont let your daughter play a loving mario game.

The_Franz posted:

In the 90s it was Joe Lieberman, then a prominent democrat, who was usually standing with those "family media" organizations to yell about violent video games and tits in movies.

yeah. you think that poo poo is coming back? like the right owns the place now. and i am sure some will want culture war stuff back. i am curious if the "progressive" will support it or not. i mean trump said on twitter it causes school shootings. My hope is the DNC goes left and ditches these loving clowns.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Carmant posted:

The goon guild in guild wars 2 has always been an extremely #woke #brand and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Didn't SA used to be extremely WOKE for a while and now that shits finally starting to die here except parts of D&D. i mean i got this red text for being right about this poo poo. so whatever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Didn't SA used to be extremely WOKE for a while and now that shits finally starting to die here except parts of D&D. i mean i got this red text for being right about this poo poo. so whatever.

There are people in D&D claiming that the entire forum has become alt-right with the banning of the Hillary toxxers

That statement does not yet uh, appear to match up with reality

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Not to be outdone by the Time, the Washington Post asks important questions of the Brands.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

There are people in D&D claiming that the entire forum has become alt-right with the banning of the Hillary toxxers

That statement does not yet uh, appear to match up with reality

I remember my first probation being in WOKE GBS when the Occupy Wall St protests were happening and looked like they would amount to nothing lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol you've been using this thread as a dumping ground for posts complaining about sjws