Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Randarkman posted:

- "No, Luke, I am your father"

It's loving amazing that this thread is filled with Star Wars nerds who get poo poo like this wrong and the Many Bothans thing.

The line is just "No, I am your father."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

We don't need no stinken badges

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's a bit sad, actually. When the AT-ST showed up, I saw it as "oh poo poo, reinforcements are coming, ya'll better run" and an escalation of tension to close out of the scene. They see it as a lingering shot of a fanservice robot that serves no greater purpose.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

WampaLord posted:

It's loving amazing that this thread is filled with Star Wars nerds who get poo poo like this wrong and the Many Bothans thing.

The line is just "No, I am your father."

The line is "No Lucas, I am your nerf-hearder"

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think I laughed through the whole lava Vader scene. The fact he's surrounded by lava, the way he pointlessly walked past the admiral guy twice so they could get that shot where he turns around choking him, the corny pun, it was all just too much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Beam me up, Chewie!

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
rogue one was blah as hell but i liked the monk dude and his buddy

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think it's a bit sad, actually. When the AT-ST showed up, I saw it as "oh poo poo, reinforcements are coming, ya'll better run" and an escalation of tension to close out of the scene. They see it as a lingering shot of a fanservice robot that serves no greater purpose.

Yeah that plus the haste in which this episode was put out makes me think they either read too much online griping about it or their screening just had that many insufferable fans in it. I felt a little adrift for the first half but as the movie got focused towards the end I enjoyed it more and more, though Leia was a bit ham-fisted. also i thought the asian duo could have been used much better throughout the film, but their ends were kind of lackluster. the robot seemed to have the best fleshed out story arc, oddly enough, whereas i've always hated c3pos story arc

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Libelous Slander posted:

their screening just had that many insufferable fans in it.

This must have been it. I guess their theater was marking out hard and clapping for a bunch of poo poo during the movie, which can be annoying as hell.

I remember people clapping when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber in Episode 2 and I remember thinking "Really?"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I thought it was weird when the yavin IV loudspeaker is all "may the force be with you" I mean the force isn't the predominant religion of the galaxy it's a forgotten cult luke had to be told about because he ain't never heard of it before.

Making me imagine episode IV as Luke's showing up to vatican city have you guys heard about jesus? I just found out. He's good, apparently.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I thought it was weird when the yavin IV loudspeaker is all "may the force be with you" I mean the force isn't the predominant religion of the galaxy it's a forgotten cult luke had to be told about because he ain't never heard of it before.

You don't remember them telling all of the pilots in Episode IV "May the Force be with you?"

It's clearly something people just say, like God bless you.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Seeing movies with a terrible audience is a reoccurring theme of theirs. They need to find a new theater.
I saw R1 on Saturday in a half full theater where no one spoke. The most offense behavior I witnessed was a Dad repeatedly taking off his jacket and putting it back on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Please, rewatch the original trilogy before you comment about fanservice and continuity errors in Rogue One. Thank you in advance.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Randarkman posted:

- Imperial prove droids
- Wampa monster
- Asteroid worm monster
- Bounty hunters

None of those made it into pop culture.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

Actually the asteroid worm monster has made quite an impact with her show 'Girls' on HBO.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Paladinus posted:

Please, rewatch the original trilogy before you comment about fanservice and continuity errors in Rogue One. Thank you in advance.

I don't have a laserdisc player

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

<----

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

You think your username qualifies as pop culture?

Ask any random joe on the street if they know what a wampa is.

It's not like a wampa is even close to comparable to R2D2 or Vader for recognizability, for instance.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 22, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

You think your username qualifies as pop culture?

Ask any random joe on the street if they know what a wampa is.

I bet a lot more people than you think would say "Oh, the snow monster from Empire Strikes Back"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I bet a lot more people than you think would say "Oh, the snow monster from Empire Strikes Back"

I bet a lot less people than you think would say that. Especially in non-nerd circles.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The pug wearing a wampa costume is the all-time gif superstar

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This a thousand times. Somebody just hosed with an Imperial Armored car hauling poo poo the Emperor wants. Stop those assholes with whatever we've got!

WampaLord posted:

Especially after the Kenner toy commercial I still have flashbacks from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNh3MRNDZOQ

"WOMMMPA!"

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 23, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Double post because I am dumb

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, it is sad that you care so much about what they think.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
star wars is bad

efb: aaaaaaaiiiiiiiddddddsssss

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Giga Gaia posted:

star wars is bad

efb: aaaaaaaiiiiiiiddddddsssss

Actually,

e: wubba wubba

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Watched it again tonight, honestly was pretty good upon a second viewing. I could pay attention more to the characters. While still blah, I found it more enjoyable still the second time around. I fear this will become the generic Star Wars formula with one-off characters and safe plotlines, and won't be surprised in the slightest if they do any of the following plots:

- Battle of Yavin 4 part 2 (where the Imperial fleet shows up while the Rebels are evacuating and scattering across the galaxy)
- Shuttle Tyderium (the mission to steal an Imperial shuttle in Return of the Jedi)
- Buttface and "He doesn't like you" Guy (how they went from Jedha to Tattooine in mere days, like they would have had to immediately board a spaceship from Jedha since it got blown up and the events of ANH are like 2 days after we see them)
- Lando spinoff of the Han Solo movie
- The Adventures of Ben Kenobi and a 10 year old Luke

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I'll probably check out Rogue One at some point, but to be honest all I'm going to be thinking about whenever Vader appears on screen is "budgetary restrictions" and "the man can't even get shoes that fit!"

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Archaic posted:

Lol I hope they make this movie just for the RLM review

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Archaic posted:

- Battle of Yavin 4 part 2 (where the Imperial fleet shows up while the Rebels are evacuating and scattering across the galaxy)

This will be made up of recycled cut scenes and gameplay footage when played with a mouse @ 320x240/15i.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd like to see a spinoff about the bounty hunters who aren't Boba loving Fett

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FuturePastNow posted:

That will never happen. In fact I'd be shocked if they don't make a Boba Fett movie where he's basically Goku because, as clearly established in the movies, he's the most absolute badass powerful mercenary in the galaxy because he hid in trash and fell in a hole.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBoB5zuOFg

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBoMfDyzR9k

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When are we finally getting a spinoff for this guy??

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The Archaic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I want a star war movie that explains what the heck the Force is all about. like what is its deal, just magic or something? where does it come from? cmon Disney I wanna know!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
let me tell you about midichlorians, son

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UtRsuIA-Y

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd watch R2D2 fight a lava snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

PostNouveau posted: