Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

McBain only got better (on paper at least) in the conversion from Mk2 -> Mk3; what's wrong with him? I played a fair bit of him ~2 years ago and generally did well.

Problem was everyone and their mom's was/is running some grievous wounds... which completely counters his feat. I think hes okay now as I think that might be toning down a bit. I played a couple games with him the other day and was quite pleased with what he could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

rydiafan posted:

War Room Army

Minions - Arkadius Heavy Hitters

Theme: No Theme Selected
75 / 75 Army

Armory - Steamroller Objective

Dr. Arkadius - WB: +32
- Targ - PC: 4
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 2)
- War Hog - PC: 15
- Road Hog - PC: 16
- Gorax Rager - PC: 7
- Gorax Rager - PC: 7

Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 4
Maximus - PC: 4

Farrow Bone Grinders - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5

---

Try this if you own it, Gareth. Armory can give the road hog magical weapons, and Targ can ancillary it. Maximus has a magical weapon, Lanyssa has Ice Bolt. You're golden.

Cool. He's probably reluctant to play that list again against me because it was so unfun for both of us, but we can try it again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Don't pigs have primal in a pig? Is the gorax really better? It has such bad stats

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Isn't the pig one a little more expensive? I think the point is to have 2 models that can cast it as cheaply as possible

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Isn't the pig one a little more expensive? I think the point is to have 2 models that can cast it as cheaply as possible

Battle Boar is the same cost and has better stats. Can also get berserk and overtake which is helpful for clearing infantry which this list (and most Ark lists) can struggle with. I'd straight swap the two goraxes for battle boars (who also look way cooler on the table)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
There must be a reason that arkadius can take gora- hahahaha

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

Pig is the same price and is a little better at killing infantry, Gorax is a little better at taking on armor. In general I think it comes down to which models people own

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What armor is taken on by pow 12s

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
They cost the same 7 points. Stats are almost identical Gorax has 1 higher pow on the fists (pow 12) and pain response. Whereas battle boars have 1 higher arm and adrenalise. They would both work, I have no idea what ghost cryx armour is, but base str 9 means the Gorax is a better Primal Shock target.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Ideal for a charging gorax on an armored target is 5 pow 16 equivalents. Ideal for charging battle boar is 4 pow 15s. It's a pretty big gap. 28.5 damage versus an armor 18 beast on all hits vs 17.5 with the boar. You're possibly threatening a piece trade with a gorax versus a 12/18 heavy beast and you're nowhere close with the boar.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 22, 2016

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hoboskins posted:

They cost the same 7 points. Stats are almost identical Gorax has 1 higher pow on the fists (pow 12) and pain response. Whereas battle boars have 1 higher arm and adrenalise. They would both work, I have no idea what ghost cryx armour is, but base str 9 means the Gorax is a better Primal Shock target.

When MK3 dropped I was of the opinion that battle boar negated the gorx. Having played 50-some games with Arkadius since then, I've changed my mind. The +1 str and pain response makes a gorax a far better beast against high armor targets, and that's what exists right now. Overtake and berserk is nice, but I'm not seeing enough infantry to justify it. Usually what I do see can be handled with the road hog and primal shock.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Didn't gorax get shield guard with arkadius in Mk2 as well?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah. Was sad to lose that. Now they're nearly identical. Gorax has +1 strength and -1 armor, and trades berserk and overtake for pain response.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Get you a theme force;

Armory - Steamroller Objective

Dr. Arkadius - WB: +32
- Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Road Hog - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Road Hog - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)

Maximus - PC: 4

Farrow Bone Grinders - Leader & 5 Grunts: 8
Farrow Slaughterhousers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 11

THEME: The Thornfall Alliance

I didn't get a free solo but not sure if Maximus counts towards the points since he is a solo and not a unit.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

McBain only got better (on paper at least) in the conversion from Mk2 -> Mk3; what's wrong with him? I played a fair bit of him ~2 years ago and generally did well.

The main problem I had was that his feat has 3 main weaknesses:
1) It is countered by anti healing / grievous wounds
2) It is random how many models it effects, so it sucks when it only hits 6 guys
3) You need to use it on steady models / have everyone within 7 of boomhowler or they miss most of their turn after the feat anyway.

The rest of him isn't bad, I think if you are min/maxing he ends up being a worse version of bart / magnus, who both have very good jack buffs and much better feats for defense that also work on warjacks. I just have a personal dislike of casters with very limited feats after being victim to casters with 'take a free turn' feats.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 23, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Got Mulg and an Earthborn for 47 bucks today aww yiss

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
From the now terrible Cygnar facebook group, which was screen shot from the PP forums:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

deep down i knew karchev being good and playing like hes supposed to in the books couldnt last

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does Caine 2 have the only shot type that requires focus to activate?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Does Caine 2 have the only shot type that requires focus to activate?

Fairly certain he is, but I might be wrong because I only play Cygnar and Cygnar merc accessories.

Honestly, I'm glad he got nerfed. Being able to potentially get 18 damage rolls a turn from a single model is nuts. Nine is much more tolerable.

If the errata was up to me, I would have made trick shot a cost four spell that lasts the entire turn, and replaced the trick shot rune attack with critical brutal. But it's not up to me, so I must depend on the expertise of PP testers.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Since High Reclaimer didn't get nerfed, I'm going to hop on the bandwagon. How's this sound:

War Room Army

Protectorate of Menoth - isded
75 / 75 Army

The High Reclaimer - WJ: +32
- Hierophant - PC: 3
- Guardian - PC: 15
- Reckoner - PC: 16
- Dervish - PC: 7
Wrack - PC: 1
The Covenant of Menoth - PC: 4
Wrack - PC: 1
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4
Exemplar Vengers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Exemplar Cinerators - Leader & 4 Grunts: 16

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

Got Mulg and an Earthborn for 47 bucks today aww yiss

:yeah:

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Anyone picked up the troll command book? Worth picking up?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I talked about it a while ago! If u click the little question mark under my avatar/sig and go back past like 100 poo poo posts you can prolly find the ones about the book (also poo poo posts)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Short answer is it is pretty neato

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Short answer is it is pretty neato

I agree, I don't regret getting it. Will buy the Cygnar one as well.

Also the same place I got those models has two blitzers that need to get cleaned up stripped/reprimed but they're only 17 bucks a piece so uhhhhh

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No don't.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

No don't.

I want them for Grim 2 shut up

along with two units of trollkin maxwell finns

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

I agree, I don't regret getting it. Will buy the Cygnar one as well.

Also the same place I got those models has two blitzers that need to get cleaned up stripped/reprimed but they're only 17 bucks a piece so uhhhhh

Do it.

S.J. posted:

I want them for Grim 2 shut up

along with two units of trollkin maxwell finns

Do iiiiiiit.

Its no coincidence that the two most prolific posters in the thread have the top opinions about good models (trolls)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

All I know is a unit of those dudes puts out 5d3 rat 8 POW 15s onto a heavy or whatever that's been hit with mortality and it won't be able to heal the damage.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

All I know is a unit of those dudes puts out 5d3 rat 8 POW 15s onto a heavy or whatever that's been hit with mortality and it won't be able to heal the damage.

Yeah they are so awesome its unbelievable. They are also gonna be crazy good with jarl and weald secrets.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
They over corrected badly with khador.

Karchev's feat is garbage now. It's just a boosted damage roll, which you already get if you charge. So in a lot of cases it's doing nothing.

Mat 5 pow 16 unstable berserkers are unplayable at 9 points, when marauders exist. That's a shame because I liked using them with vlad1 and butcher1. I've got two painted metal ones plus a magnetized plastic kit.

Increasing behemoth's cost is literally pointless because a lot of people just took behemoth as their battlegroup and played down a few points.

Also, why do people act like the ogrun bokur is the best thing for skorne? We have cyclops brutes.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah Marauder seems really under costed.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah Marauder seems really under costed.

Khador is undercosted. And Karchev is fine, just take MAT 7 stuff with him now which, considering that means Juggernauts, is probably something you should have been doing already.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah I don't think I'll ever stop being butt hurt that ruin costs four less than ghetorix.
I never end up using whatever is supposed to be busted in circle so I get to complain.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

chutche2 posted:

Also, why do people act like the ogrun bokur is the best thing for skorne? We have cyclops brutes.

It's like when raluk came out and troll players were unironically considering taking him to bring vanguards, forgetting that bouncers existed.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah but Bokur is 5 pts and is a boss

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

susan posted:

Khador is undercosted. And Karchev is fine, just take MAT 7 stuff with him now which, considering that means Juggernauts, is probably something you should have been doing already.

Alternately, you could take Juggernauts with anyone else and have a feat that does something. It made no sense to nerf Karchev and the berzerker chassis. As was pointed out, if you charge his feat does absolutely nothing.

It's unfortunate that they were so unwilling to look at any options that would change the FA amount (or have them cost more points once you got over a certain number taken) since the problem wasn't a couple Mad Dogs/Berzerkers, or Karchev, it was 15 of them under Karchev (or whatever high number you want). They're not worth 9 pts at all (especially when the Marauder is 10 and got a bit of a buff). The Mad Dog list was definitely a problem, but instead of making the list unplayable/toned down, they made the main elements of the list unplayable (even if you weren't using them in the overly strong fashion).

That said, most of the other changes don't seem to impact much so I'm not too unhappy with the errata overall.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I see Troll players all happy that they can take a Bokur instead of the Bouncer. But that's dumb because the Bouncer is amazing for its price. It's a good scenario piece and an excellent way to start a piece trade. Model so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Privateer didn't want to risk pissing people off who had bought fifteen Mad Dogs is the problem