Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yo, reread his post

Anyway for an actual suggestion - Spelunky is a fantastic couch co-op game. I also really liked Hammerwatch and Forced (though I dunno if Forced is more than 2 players). TowerFall Ascension is good too. Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed is pretty good if you've got a big TV. Nidhogg is great... even if it's for 2 players the games are super fast so you can move around the controller a bunch. Divekick is similar in that regard. Brawlhalla is basically a super smash bros for the PC (it's F2P with DLC or whatever... I was in the beta and then never put money into it and it still occasionally gets pulled out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
oh man I kind of forgot about sonic all star racing transformed. That's a good suggestion, best kart game and is even fun single player. runs great too on almost anything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Thanks for the suggestions guys! We ended up getting Sanctum 2 for tonight and broforce for another time.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

we got a game that no one suggested and ignored the one multiple people suggested so thanks for your suggestions!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MSG V for 10.80$ over on GameBillet. Use the code Wintersale to knock a couple bucks off the $13.50 sticker price. Credit card (and bitcoin) only.

https://www.gamebillet.com/uk/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain.html?search=phantom%20pain

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh cool, Umihara Kawase is on sale again (60%, matching the new lowest from Thanksgiving). And this time I probably won't miss it for like the third time :downs:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Thank you to Xander77 for Never Alone! It seems to be a companion animal simulator.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I bought tower unite and the very first user house I joined had a little room with naked anime ladies and a not naked one behind a store counter selling smokes apparently. Weird game.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Kinda bummed recettear didn't have any widescreen resolutions available. I'd been hemming and hawing about about buying the game for years but figured for 4 bucks I'd give it a shot. I had watched several reviews and not one of them mentioned this which seems like kind of an oversight to me.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Kinda bummed recettear didn't have any widescreen resolutions available. I'd been hemming and hawing about about buying the game for years but figured for 4 bucks I'd give it a shot. I had watched several reviews and not one of them mentioned this which seems like kind of an oversight to me.

the game wasn't made for widescreen and looks just fine as is. It is a good game and ignoring a good game cause the resolution isn't good enough for you is so weird.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Leper Residue posted:

the game wasn't made for widescreen and looks just fine as is. It is a good game and ignoring a good game cause the resolution isn't good enough for you is so weird.

It's legit not that the resolution isn't good enough I wasn't expecting a 2007 sprite based title to wow me visually I just don't like playing games in not full screen/with bars. I guess it's different with emulated stuff but for something released on pc the same year as the original mass effect I'm a bit more offput by it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Zetsubou-san posted:

Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1
Part 2

Closure - $0.99 (-90%) - puzzle game based on "if it isn't illuminated, it isn't there"

One Finger Death Punch - $1.24 (-75%) - ONE. FINGER. DEATH. PUNCH.

+1'ing both of these. Closure is a great puzzle platformer with a nice monochromatic LIMBO aesthetic, and OFDP is the most fun you can have with just one finger.

Jagwires
May 31, 2009
Is Kentucky Route Zero worth it? Is it even finished?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What are some good "zone out and listen to podcasts" games? Preferably something with a huge UI that I can play from the couch. Hearthstone is my go-to in this category right now.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

What are some good "zone out and listen to podcasts" games? Preferably something with a huge UI that I can play from the couch. Hearthstone is my go-to in this category right now.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the default podcast game.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 23, 2016

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Jagwires posted:

The fourth episode came out a while ago after a really long gap. There supposedly one more due at some point.

It's a really odd game but sort of interesting even if it does disappear up its own arse occasionally.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when stellaris first came out people seemed kind of meh about it. did it get fixed up? should i just play more ck2 instead?

i might get that or i might get pillars of eternity. or maybe nothing i dont know

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How do people feel about Necropolis?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Awesome! posted:

when stellaris first came out people seemed kind of meh about it. did it get fixed up? should i just play more ck2 instead?

i might get that or i might get pillars of eternity. or maybe nothing i dont know

I think the expectations for Stellaris were ludicrous so when the game released (in admittedly rough shape) people reacted like the sky was falling.

It still gets a lot of poo poo for being Paradox's more casual title but its fun in its own right. The problem lies in that there seems to be a skeleton crew supporting the game so patches and content are rolling out at a snails pace compared to EU4/CK2. HoI4 is also suffering from this.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jagwires posted:

It's great; it might not be done for a year or two. There are two free demo-things you can try out that will give you a good idea of the overall mood and tone: Limits and Demonstrations and The Entertainment.

I played the first 2.5 episodes, then decided to dip out until it's totally done, and I could understand anyone who holds off on buying. It was just too hard to hold onto the narrative. Don't regret buying it, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

How complete is Slime Rancher? I kinda have my eye on it.
Right now.. there's about 6-8 hrs of content in it I'd say. You have the ranch, and then the main explorable area outside the exit which will be your main loop for the first couple of hours. Then you'll make enough money to unlock either The Grotto or the Overgrowth, which expands your ranch and also has a path to a new area to explore (and usually a slime key door). So then that's added to the loop. Then you'll find the Slime Gordos, feed them to bursting, and get Slime Keys which will get you access to two more areas, the Indigo Quarry and Moss Blanket which have brand new slimes not available outside those areas. Finally, you'll make enough money to unlock the lab, where you buy blueprints, harvest materials, then use those materials to build stuff that will make your life easier, like teleporters, defensive turrets, etc.

They're at version 0.4.1 right now which they put out this month. 0.5.0 is supposed to add another new area and slime type, and 0.6.0 is supposed to add the final area. I assume they'll use the remaining roadmap to sprinkle more stuff around the world, add more paths, etc. I'm going to guess the thing will be done by the summer, but who knows with Early Access games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Someone mentioned Starbound earlier in one of these threads, and I see it's coming up for a vote tomorrow. I've been putting hours into it recently, and much to my disappointment I'm ready to call it quits.

Popular games often inspire others to follow their lead. We saw it ages ago with Doom and Starcraft, we saw it in a huge way with Minecraft, and we saw it again with Terraria, itself following in the footsteps of Minecraft. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve on a formula unless you completely miss what made the original good, and somehow that happens all too often. Starbound seemed for the longest time to be the one true heir to Terraria, but it's clear now it's fallen into the same trap so many others have.

Starbound sets you as the newest member of the Protectorate, a galactic peacekeeping and civil service force based out of Earth. Your graduation ceremony serves as a brief tutorial before poo poo goes wrong and you escape the destruction of the planet on the first rustbucket ship you find. A quick faster-than-light jump leaves you stranded in orbit around an alien world with no fuel to leave, no tools besides your Matter Manipulator, and an aggressively helpful AI.

From this humble beginning you can make your mark on the galaxy. The main questline helps you get your ship up and running, introduces you to a trade hub with tons of stuff for sale, and sets you on track to confront the thing that destroyed the Earth. In pursuing any of these goals you'll be exploring randomly-generated planets of all sorts, from verdant forest worlds to icy hellscapes to tentacle morasses and more. No matter the composition, each planet will have resources to gather and treasures to uncover, most of which are hinted at in the planetary scan from your ship.

Once you beam down to a planet you'll have to hike your way around from your landing site, either across the open terrain or venturing down into the caves every world is honeycombed with. Numerous creatures inhabit these places and most of them are aggressive, so you'll be needing to take weapons and gear and be ready for a fight. There's a wide range of swords, axes, spears, whips, pistols, rifles, launchers, and so on to equip yourself with, each with randomized stats and effects. I never found anything too outlandish but you can dual wield one-handed items, allowing you to enjoy stabbing and shooting all at once.

Your Matter Manipulator is used to dig, break down walls and objects for collection, and place materials from your inventory. This means there's plenty of construction to do if you want a quaint home on the alien prairies, and you'll need one for all the different crafting stations and upgrades needed to progress. It was here that the game started to break down for me though, because building bases in Terraria was my favorite part and I was super excited to do the same in space. However, having a base in Starbound isn't nearly as convenient, necessary, or useful because of your ship. You need your ship to explore the cosmos and return to the trade hub for important quests and purchases, so every trip to your base is a bunch of extra beaming and warping steps. You can build a teleport pad for your base but it requires a rare drop and a TON of money for just one.

Once I realized what a pain it was going to be to maintain a base, I started to see the same annoyances in everything else. Crafting is a huge one, because there are so many additional steps and requirements just to make basic things. In Terraria you just needed the material, but in Starbound not only do you need materials, but for building blocks you need to have FOUND the item to produce before, and for other items you need blueprints which are randomly dotted around the universe. So you might have dreams of a neon techy space colony but unless you find one to strip AND score the blueprints for all the furniture, you're stuck with your dirt and wood hovels.

Stripping buildings and resources is something you'll spend plenty of time doing, either to make gear from ores or just get cool blocks to build with. But your basic Matter Manipulator is maddeningly slow and the upgrades require tons of modules which are, again, scattered across the universe. And even if you strip down a whole base, it fills your inventory with so many special blocks and items you can barely carry it all. Starbound has a mind-boggling amount of items and furniture and materials to play with but ironically this drags the game down because it makes it so much harder to collect and organize and use. Terraria didn't have the best inventory system but I've spent so much more time in Starbound's just trying to get the junk I want to build to the place I want to build it.

The deeper you dive into Starbound, the more roadblocks you run into. There's a huge spread of side activities like archaeology and pet collecting and cooking and ship upgrades and vehicles but every single one is locked behind quests and random drops and money. Money is easily the worst part, because you need tons for everything you want to do, but at the base difficulty you lose a full THIRD of what you've earned when you die. And you're going to die a fair bit unless you're terribly cautious, because enemies are aggressive and do loads of damage, and even just falling a short distance can end your fragile life. It's crushing because every time I sit down to play I start out optimistic and eager to find or build new things, and then 20 minutes later the same walls start rising up again to get in my way.

There's so much I could talk about in Starbound that ends up ruined by needless complications and restrictions. It's maddening because the game is ostensibly about the freedom to do what you want, explore where you want, and build what you want, but the design simply does not support those goals. Terraria understood how to achieve this, how to give players this freedom while placing new items and options just close enough to strive for. Starbound gives you an entire galaxy of possibilities and then slaps your hand away every time you reach for them, pointing you back to laborious quests or high prices to deal with first. I wish I could like Starbound, I really do, because it's gorgeous and charming and has so much to do, but it refuses to just let you enjoy any of it. Until it learns to ease up I'll be building castles and soaring through the clouds in you-know-what, because it doesn't feel so much like work there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Leper Residue posted:

we got a game that no one suggested and ignored the one multiple people suggested so thanks for your suggestions!

lol we were discussing it amongst ourselves as I asked the thread. Sorry if I hurt your feelings though

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mystic Stylez posted:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the premiere podcast game.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Subnautica looks cool, but how "early access" is it? Does it feel at least mostly like a finished game?

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Hey while they're not deep sale I want to push two games that I think are some of the most underrated games of the year, Aurion and Masquerada.

I've reviewed both in the main Steam thread but to keep it brief both are RPGs, Aurion being an action RPG akin to a Tales game and Masquerada is RTWP with cooldown abilities. Both are linear, Masquerada more so, but both are really engaging with quality narratives. They definitely need more love and are well worth $20/$15.
Thank you for writing about these!
I have absolutely no room for any new games on my plate, especially lenghty RPG ones. But Masquerada and Aurion look different and engaging enough that I simply had to buy them. Hopefully their story'll be a neat ride.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

Now that I think about it, there is a ton of stuff from 2016 I missed. Anything from the past year people recommend in terms of "Best of the year?"

Rise of the Tomb Raider was, hands down, my GOTY this year. Of course, it's also heavily dependent on whether you liked the first one or not since it's essentially a lot more of the same. If you enjoyed that, though, RotTR essentially did the same thing that Arkham City did for Batman: a LOT more of the same and much bigger. I have not bought any of the DLCs yet.

And of course other AAA titles were, like, Dark Souls III and Doom. Those are pretty self-explanatory, but also very good.

In terms of smaller games, Goons seem to really like Thumper if you're into trippy music-hell games. There's also the new Shantae if you want a platformer, but it's not at a very big discount right now since it just came out.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the premiere podcast game.

How is American Truck Sim, anyway? And are the controls any better for gamepads? I could never get Euro-Truck to work well with an X-Box controller without a game profiler, but I really wanna cruise up and down the Best Coast for chill times.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 23, 2016

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Someone mentioned Starbound earlier in one of these threads, and I see it's coming up for a vote tomorrow. I've been putting hours into it recently, and much to my disappointment I'm ready to call it quits.

Money is easily the worst part, because you need tons for everything you want to do, but at the base difficulty you lose a full THIRD of what you've earned when you die. And you're going to die a fair bit unless you're terribly cautious, because enemies are aggressive and do loads of damage, and even just falling a short distance can end your fragile life. It's crushing because every time I sit down to play I start out optimistic and eager to find or build new things, and then 20 minutes later the same walls start rising up again to get in my way.

Yeah no matter how hardcore of a gamer you are just play it on ~casual~ difficulty, monsters will still kill you and you'll lose progress exploring but you won't maddeningly lose large amounts of currency and randomly drop important items when you die.

After playing a couple of the early access versions a few years ago and playing the release version I was very disappointed with the result :(

I mean I definitely got my $15 worth or whatever but there was much more potential there, and they even took out fully functioning and fun systems and features between those versions and the final one, not sure if you can get some back through the Steam workshop now which has quite a bit of content for the game to fill in the gaps.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There's a bundle http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2306/ with Orwell, Hacknet, and Vertiginous Golf.

Any opinions on the things therein? Orwell has a cool style but seems like it could easily be unbearable. Kind of remember decent things said about Hacknet last year. Vertiginous Golf looks mad but probably really short. These all seem like things I could like, just wanna make sure they ain't no duds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RBX posted:

How do people feel about Necropolis?

I am also curious about this.

Mad Max for less than $7 is a steal. It's a little repetitive but it's gorgeous and fits the theme perfectly.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 23, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kater posted:

There's a bundle http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2306/ with Orwell, Hacknet, and Vertiginous Golf.

Any opinions on the things therein? Orwell has a cool style but seems like it could easily be unbearable. Kind of remember decent things said about Hacknet last year. Vertiginous Golf looks mad but probably really short. These all seem like things I could like, just wanna make sure they ain't no duds.

Vert Golf is awful. Hacknet and Orwell are great.

There's a free demo of Orwell that covers the first chapter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jordan7hm posted:

Age of Gladiators - I like sports management games a lot. the idea of a gladiator sports management game has me rock hard

Age of Gladiators is really terrible.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I am also curious about this.

Mad Max for less than $7 is a steal. It's a little repetitive but it's gorgeous and fits the theme perfectly.

Yeah Mad Max looks good on even a mid-range PC. The only thing that made me finally upgrade was Forza Horizon 3, that really likes to borrow your CPU power.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230270/

Do you like platformers? Do you like chill electronica? Do you like colors? Do you like user generated content? Tight controls?

Well N++ (Nplusplus) Is my recommendation for you! Its a game where you play a gold addicted ninja, trying to get to the end of the level.

And its fantastic. Slick, super tight momentum based controls make you feel like an actual god drat ninja. Levels are made of easily recognizable parts and mechanics designed to test your skills, and the developers even designed 250 levels with the explicit purpose of demonstrating to you through play how to do the things you gotta do to survive the ACTUAL LEVELS.

Speaking of ACTUAL LEVELS. There's a ton of them. Metanet has crafted over 2300+ of them, not to mention the game comes with a super in-depth and easy to use level editor and even lets you submit your levels online, and try what other people have made. That's over 10k more levels!

The game is satisfying, responsive, and perfect to pick up and play.

Not to mention its cheap! Normally the game is 15 bucks USD but its a nice 50% off for the sale!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

ArbitraryC posted:

It's legit not that the resolution isn't good enough I wasn't expecting a 2007 sprite based title to wow me visually I just don't like playing games in not full screen/with bars. I guess it's different with emulated stuff but for something released on pc the same year as the original mass effect I'm a bit more offput by it.

japanese indie titles are more often than not 4:3 rather than 16:9

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Oh wow, the complete edition of Alien: Isolation is actually cheaper than the base game. :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Han Nehi posted:

Subnautica looks cool, but how "early access" is it? Does it feel at least mostly like a finished game?

Here is the official dev roadmap through development - you can see what they're adding/messing with and when 1.0 is planned.

From my twenty minutes of play so far, it feels good! The starting area is neat to swim around in, and I've backed away hastily from some of the weirder fishes. :3:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anyone tried Niche in early access? As a biology student I feel like I should give it a whirl.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Haul from the xmas sale so far:

Subnautica

+ three gifted to me by a dear friend
Seraph
Dex
Killer is Dead

Depending on how my budget works out I'll likely go for The House in Fata Morgana, Patterna, Death Road to Canada, and maaaybe the Silver Case or others from my wishlist, but even if I stop here I'm very, very happy. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone got experience with Super Mutant Alien Assault? Love the art style, it's like a souped up 16-bit Amiga title.

• Locked thread