Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Not sure if any of you guys are enjoying the multiplayer survival youtube series with Wastedspace / Morphologis / Captain Shack but if you are can you happen to tell me what mods they are using?
The two I'm really curious about are the giant silo door they have and the "heavy" suit that Wasted is using. My google / Workshop-fu is failing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I think the suit is Sektan's Worker Suit and the ramp is MCM Boarding Ramp.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Those are them! Thanks!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

My naval scale is much smaller than any of yours. I really just don't have the time or patience to build anything truly massive. I've been working on a corvette, but it is really just a ship for two people to go around deep space in (no hydrogen this time).

Anyways, thanks guys. Hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: It's got two small ion thrusters in the rear cluster! That should slow you down from 100m/s in, I don't know, a few hours? Just use the jump drives.

Jump drives preserve inertia.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Spookydonut posted:

Jump drives preserve inertia.

crashing doesn't.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I stop my spaceships like I stop on ice skates, by slamming into a wall/another person.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
They STILL haven't addressed or fixed the bug of having your ship just randomly decide to float up and away when unlocking landing gear....for real?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Do we have a discord?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I don't think there is a goon specific SE Discord.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I made this thing in survival. I'm not a creative person, I just like making things that do other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q35aUBcYQF8

The only problem is sometimes I'll load my game and I'll be spinning in circles going 100m/sec and explode shortly after. No idea why.

Next steps.
1. Closing off the Engineering section
2. Paint Job
3. Large tug boat for moving things into the maw.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So this game runs like rear end on my computer. I have everything on low and I don't have any mods. Are there any tricks to making this a bit smoother? I have a pretty decent machine too, just not good enough it seems.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I guess make sure your drivers are up to date. I'm using a 980M and even with that contraption I made above i get zero slowdown. I think there's a lot of settings that allow further away things to use less resources. What I usually do for any game is turn everything down to pretty slow then turn things on one at a time until i see what is causing problems.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I guess my problem is it's slow as hell and everything is as low as it can get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I guess my problem is it's slow as hell and everything is as low as it can get.

What're your PC specs?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
What about your world settings? Do you have draw distance and density way up high? eventually it'll all just slow down due to RAM stack overflow, but I agree that PC specs would be good to know.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

GTX 660 Ti (2GB I think)
i5 2500k at 3.3 Ghz Quad core
16 GB of RAM

Draw distance is lowest I think, I only saw draw distance for foliage.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I mean if you can afford it, get a new video card. That will help you a lot I think.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

That was up next on the list for upgrades. I'm assuming the game is heavier on the GPU than the CPU?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That was up next on the list for upgrades. I'm assuming the game is heavier on the GPU than the CPU?

Yup. What kind of world parameters are you running? Size? Trash Cleanup set to on?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Absolutely. A better card will be night and day, and you wouldn't even need something super expensive to get to where it runs smooth.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Me and a friend started a new world and pasted a bunch of fuckoff giant ships to test out the new netcode. It works really really well. Docking to something with a docking port and pulling it now works as expected (rather than having to use merge blocks everywhere and risking multiple explosions anyway, because those were also glitchy), crashing gigantic poo poo can still cause clients to stutter or sometimes just lock up for seconds at a time, but the end result isn't just random poo poo anymore, you get nice crashes instead.

It's really quite playable now. Last things I have to thoroughly test are batteries and wheels, though I don't have too much hope for either, yet. e: oh and pistons/rotors, but I think those should work fine now, considering docking ports also work.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 21, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Truga posted:

Me and a friend started a new world and pasted a bunch of fuckoff giant ships to test out the new netcode. It works really really well. Docking to something with a docking port and pulling it now works as expected (rather than having to use merge blocks everywhere and risking multiple explosions anyway, because those were also glitchy), crashing gigantic poo poo can still cause clients to stutter or sometimes just lock up for seconds at a time, but the end result isn't just random poo poo anymore, you get nice crashes instead.

It's really quite playable now. Last things I have to thoroughly test are batteries and wheels, though I don't have too much hope for either, yet. e: oh and pistons/rotors, but I think those should work fine now, considering docking ports also work.

Is it safe to not be seated in a moving ship, or is walking around during flight still a terrible idea?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. What kind of world parameters are you running? Size? Trash Cleanup set to on?

Err, not sure. Was just running through the "Campaign". Which I'm assuming is the tutorial

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Is it safe to not be seated in a moving ship, or is walking around during flight still a terrible idea?

We were walking around inside a crashed slowly spinning ship flying through space at ~70m/s and the character view catching up with ship rotation was a bit "steppy", probably due to slow artificial gravity direction update rate? but other than that it was surprisingly glitch free to the point it felt bizarre. I'm sure if you make your ship fly at 300m/s or have it spin at 50rpm you'll still get thrown about, but you can also just not do that while walking around tbh :v:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm getting weird stutters where the game locks up (and my non-game monitor playing netflix freezes too) but then things like fire burning and particle effects are still rendering while everything else is frozen.

nvidia gts 750 ti 2gb
16gb ram
core i7 3700

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tried loading my fatass Battlecarrier to see how it likes the new models and renderer upgrades. Verdict: Not bad, still a tad chuggy.

The shields are so powerful the regeneration outpaces vanilla missile damage :allears:. Nevermind the armor being like 3 layers thick in most places. It's 5 layers thick in some. The weapon placement is based on the simple idea of "gently caress that guy, regardless of direction." ; The 4-barrel Bofors are AA-targeting guns, the Vulcan gatlings are for popping incoming ordinance, and the single-barrel 300mm cannons are just secondary capital guns. The rows of Heavy Defense Turrets are gratuitous broadside dakka :orks101: mass-saturation banks. It'll also maintain altitude in 1G Gravity, for loving up stuff planetside.

Two gravity cannons that fire big 3x3x7 shells. The horizontal barrel doors along the center line are Eikester's Nuke Launchers, the 2x2 ones in the corners are Little David cannons for some player-controlled forward fire. The gravity shells also contain Nuke Launchers. Shell fires, sensor detects target within range, Launcher fires into adjacent block inside the shell. Things nearby go away. :unsmigghh:.

The Flight Deck has pads near the bay doors for your regularly-used stuff. Ships to go pick at pirates with, mining/work pods, etc.

The Hangar Deck below it has eight pads for your stored ships, along with repair/equipping facilities. Stuff you don't need regularly, like ground vehicles or whatever.

The two-deck-tall CiC, which I still haven't bothered configuring the LCD's with text info yet.

The Engine Room. Twelve Hyperdrives mean the thing's got a range of like 2,000,000 km.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So it turns out that mounting two engine pods on rotating swivels, each with eight hydrogen tanks fueling twelve large hydrogen thrusters, is both awesome and highly impractical. The problem comes mostly with resupplying the engines, since I managed to build the rotors onto regular material and not conveyors. The alternative - a neat little extendable connector rig - had a tendency to jostle about and catastrophically explode, which is bad when it's right next to the hydrogen tanks. My plan to build swivelling blastshields for the direction opposite the exhaust stream had the same problem.

It certainly fixes the problem of needing front engines to brake though. Just press a button, flip the engines, and it's solved. Of course, you can't manually control them, so they only have an on/off switch - but that's fine. In theory you could also do some crazy spins and turns by turning off one and not the other or pulsing them while they rotate, since the use of rotors makes centre-of-mass/centre-of-thrust an actual thing as compared to the default physics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For Clangmas we're just getting bugfixes, it seems.

quote:

Summary
Hello Engineers! This week is in the sign of more bugfixes and improvements - as planned after the Beta release last week. We fixed a lot of bugs that have caused thousands of crashes - and we will continue until we will find and crush them all! :)
If you want to help us, please make a report on our forums after you encounter a bug or have a quality of life improvement tips: http://forums.keenswh.com/forums/bug-reports.326950/
Thanks a lot again for your support over all these years leading towards Beta release and Happy Holidays from everyone here in Keen Software House. Have fun! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2ecLkBz2Q

Fixes
- fixed dedicated server is not starting
- fixed crash in Havok
- fixed "laser antenna" crash
- fixed medium cargo container and oxygen generator ignoring the conveyor connection
- fixed disappearing ships in multiplayer
- fixed character clipping through physics
- fixed moddable fonts

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to set a dedicated server so it auto restarts on updates? That'd be pretty rad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Is there any way to set a dedicated server so it auto restarts on updates? That'd be pretty rad.

Just set a timer to restart it on Thursday night/friday morning when the patch usually occurs.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hey so I was toying around with the idea of setting up a custom multiplayer map for potential shenanigans, and was looking for goon input. The core idea here is that I was to bring things a little closer to the 'old' Space Engineers, with a bigger focus on salvaging/stealing poo poo over enormous mining projects (which are still cool and a nice way to make large amounts of a given resource).

First off, the map (which I've tentatively titled Hades Sector) is built around three large moons:

Acheron, a standard Moon-type rocky moon with large ice caps;
Plegethon, a Titan-type moon - looking like a miniature Mars with rusty red sald/rock outcrops and scatterings of blue-green solid ice 'lakes';
Styx, an Europa-type moon with a thick exterior shell of solid ice, and valuable ores deeper underneath the ice layers.
In addition, the Lethe Debris Field is a dense collection of asteroids and wrecks of various sizes and shapes sitting in the space between the three moons. This will be custom-built and very dense - I want an Elite RES-style field where you can't chuck a rock without it bouncing off three different asteroids and dinging a pirate.

Each moon is 25km in diameter so about half again the volume of your standard 20km-diameter moon. The moons themselves sit in a roughly equal triangle, about 60-80km apart; it might be 'unrealistic' but let's face it, a) it looks cool to have two enormous sister moons dominating your sky, and b) It's not like you actually need thousands of kilometers of empty space between points of interest.

Respawn ships are either custom designs or entirely disabled. Instead, each moon has a small (likely indestructible, let's face it, somebody will end up dropping an orbital on top of one of these things) salvage platform with basic amenities and equipment situated in an interesting spot on the surface (next to a lake or canyon, in a big crater, whatever). Near the salvage platform is going to be a large shipwreck (likely just a Big Red dropped from 50km or so) and maybe a couple of 'crashed' small asteroids for easily accessible starting resources.

Besides this, the surface of each moon is going to be littered with the remains of crashed NPC ships and fallen debris field objects - some of the former may well still have active defenses. These give the players opportunities to salvage or repurpose ships without worrying about mining into the lunar surface, and adds a bit of interest/challenge when that Minelayer you were trying to salvage starts summoning combat drones.

In addition, each moon has, on the pole further away from the starting station (a 'safe' distance away) a large space pirate salvage facility. These will be heavily defended by turrets and will start spawning attack drones when you approach within 5km or so, along with smaller more lightly defended storage facilities scattered across the moonscape. These will contain plenty of ready-processed resources to loot, assuming you can fight your way past the defenses. The debris field will also likely have a handful of these larger pirate drone stations and smaller storage facilities, along with whatever the RNG decides to bless it with. NPC cargo ships and pirate drone attacks will be enabled, though I don't think meteor storms are worth the hassle right now.

Specific design goals are:
* A relatively 'dense' map with lots of varying things to do - there are relatively quiet safe spots where you can just build, build, build, but if you want something more exciting, action isn't far away
* Multiple roughly equal starting positions make the map also viable for a 'team versus team' style game, where each team claims a moon and dukes it out in the debris field
* Variety in starting positions also supports multiple playstyles or simply to give players more space without tripping over one another - one moon can be a sandbox for building all sorts of poo poo while Shenanigans are focused on the others.
* Lunar bases still have certain gravity-related challenges to deal with while not being nearly as processor-heavy as full-blown planets - frankly I don't feel planets in and of themselves yet offer much interest over more classic lunar/asteroid shenanigans. The only things planet have that moons don't are a) heavier gravity, and b) active atmospheres and potential for spider/turbowolf attacks, which aren't really worth the hassle.

What do you guys think?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Did they remove the start where you start in a survival pod falling through the earth planet atmosphere? Or am i just very dumb and missing it.

If so where the hell is it and how do i get it back.?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Did they remove the start where you start in a survival pod falling through the earth planet atmosphere? Or am i just very dumb and missing it.

If so where the hell is it and how do i get it back.?

You pick the Star System start and pick Planet Lander for you spawn ship. Mars Lander and Alien Lander are the same thing but for different planets.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

You pick the Star System start and pick Planet Lander for you spawn ship. Mars Lander and Alien Lander are the same thing but for different planets.

Ah ty. The only way I like survival is when I do the whole crash land thing and see how long it takes to get a piece of poo poo into space.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

What do you guys think?

I would play the hell out of that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ah ty. The only way I like survival is when I do the whole crash land thing and see how long it takes to get a piece of poo poo into space.

:yeah:
I like doing a bootleg space program, too. It's a fun co-op project to see what kind of weird garbage pile you can get into orbit.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Yeah, I would be all over that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

Hey so I was toying around with the idea of setting up a custom multiplayer map for potential shenanigans, and was looking for goon input. The core idea here is that I was to bring things a little closer to the 'old' Space Engineers, with a bigger focus on salvaging/stealing poo poo over enormous mining projects (which are still cool and a nice way to make large amounts of a given resource).

First off, the map (which I've tentatively titled Hades Sector) is built around three large moons:

Acheron, a standard Moon-type rocky moon with large ice caps;
Plegethon, a Titan-type moon - looking like a miniature Mars with rusty red sald/rock outcrops and scatterings of blue-green solid ice 'lakes';
Styx, an Europa-type moon with a thick exterior shell of solid ice, and valuable ores deeper underneath the ice layers.
In addition, the Lethe Debris Field is a dense collection of asteroids and wrecks of various sizes and shapes sitting in the space between the three moons. This will be custom-built and very dense - I want an Elite RES-style field where you can't chuck a rock without it bouncing off three different asteroids and dinging a pirate.

Each moon is 25km in diameter so about half again the volume of your standard 20km-diameter moon. The moons themselves sit in a roughly equal triangle, about 60-80km apart; it might be 'unrealistic' but let's face it, a) it looks cool to have two enormous sister moons dominating your sky, and b) It's not like you actually need thousands of kilometers of empty space between points of interest.

Respawn ships are either custom designs or entirely disabled. Instead, each moon has a small (likely indestructible, let's face it, somebody will end up dropping an orbital on top of one of these things) salvage platform with basic amenities and equipment situated in an interesting spot on the surface (next to a lake or canyon, in a big crater, whatever). Near the salvage platform is going to be a large shipwreck (likely just a Big Red dropped from 50km or so) and maybe a couple of 'crashed' small asteroids for easily accessible starting resources.

Besides this, the surface of each moon is going to be littered with the remains of crashed NPC ships and fallen debris field objects - some of the former may well still have active defenses. These give the players opportunities to salvage or repurpose ships without worrying about mining into the lunar surface, and adds a bit of interest/challenge when that Minelayer you were trying to salvage starts summoning combat drones.

In addition, each moon has, on the pole further away from the starting station (a 'safe' distance away) a large space pirate salvage facility. These will be heavily defended by turrets and will start spawning attack drones when you approach within 5km or so, along with smaller more lightly defended storage facilities scattered across the moonscape. These will contain plenty of ready-processed resources to loot, assuming you can fight your way past the defenses. The debris field will also likely have a handful of these larger pirate drone stations and smaller storage facilities, along with whatever the RNG decides to bless it with. NPC cargo ships and pirate drone attacks will be enabled, though I don't think meteor storms are worth the hassle right now.

Specific design goals are:
* A relatively 'dense' map with lots of varying things to do - there are relatively quiet safe spots where you can just build, build, build, but if you want something more exciting, action isn't far away
* Multiple roughly equal starting positions make the map also viable for a 'team versus team' style game, where each team claims a moon and dukes it out in the debris field
* Variety in starting positions also supports multiple playstyles or simply to give players more space without tripping over one another - one moon can be a sandbox for building all sorts of poo poo while Shenanigans are focused on the others.
* Lunar bases still have certain gravity-related challenges to deal with while not being nearly as processor-heavy as full-blown planets - frankly I don't feel planets in and of themselves yet offer much interest over more classic lunar/asteroid shenanigans. The only things planet have that moons don't are a) heavier gravity, and b) active atmospheres and potential for spider/turbowolf attacks, which aren't really worth the hassle.

What do you guys think?

I think you should go with a planet and one or two moons, just because it's the traditional NASA-style challenge then. Room to set up groundside bases for everyone, along with free oxygen, and it gives a better separation of regions in the map than a Moon's low gravity and starlit lack of atmosphere.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you should go with a planet and one or two moons, just because it's the traditional NASA-style challenge then. Room to set up groundside bases for everyone, along with free oxygen, and it gives a better separation of regions in the map than a Moon's low gravity and starlit lack of atmosphere.

But my creative vision
:goonsay:

Naw, I appreciate the input. I was toying around with the idea of adding a planet into the mix, actually - a planet, three moons (the game actually comes with three different skins/biomes for moons so there's a distinct biome/theme/resource balance separation) and the debris field. You're right, having a workable atmosphere does make things different and a 'real' planet has a lot of useful materials and resources to access, with all the hazards that come with it - I'm just unimpressed with the classic 'drop down on the planet and figure out how to dig down' type of a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

But my creative vision
:goonsay:

Naw, I appreciate the input. I was toying around with the idea of adding a planet into the mix, actually - a planet, three moons (the game actually comes with three different skins/biomes for moons so there's a distinct biome/theme/resource balance separation) and the debris field. You're right, having a workable atmosphere does make things different and a 'real' planet has a lot of useful materials and resources to access, with all the hazards that come with it - I'm just unimpressed with the classic 'drop down on the planet and figure out how to dig down' type of a start.

The workshop has quite a few different planets and moons that are really well done too if you're looking for more than the standard ones.

The only possible problem I can see with your idea is all the wrecks. I'm not sure how that would affect server sim speed. Most of the server clean up mods are just scripts that remove old grids that either don't have an active beacon or haven't been used in awhile since random grids really seem to impact server performance. When me and my brother ran a custom system we had to have the clean up mod run a few times a day to keep the sim speed up. Are you planning on hand placing the asteroids or just going with one of the settings? Any ideas who you're thinking of going with for a server provider? We used pingperfect and overall they were pretty good for the price. Once you get it up and running you might want to think about allowing donations for the server cost. I think most providers have a paypal link or whatever for donating though. I only say that because they can get kind of pricey depending on the player count and the package you pick.

Sounds like a really cool idea though and I'd play on it for sure. I'd even throw a few bucks towards the server if you ended up going that way.

• Locked thread