Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Without Overtime you'd get a period at the end where the game is already decided but still going on for no reason (ie there's no way you could capture the point within the remaining time). Overtime keeps the game tense until the end and allows there to be a resolution to the last teamfight, I think it's just an objectively better system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Without Overtime you'd get a period at the end where the game is already decided but still going on for no reason (ie there's no way you could capture the point within the remaining time). Overtime keeps the game tense until the end and allows there to be a resolution to the last teamfight, I think it's just an objectively better system.

I think this is what they were trying to prevent with time bank as well since in stopwatch there's a certain point where you already know you lost, but with timebank you can theoretically take a cart all the way from the start to the final checkpoint during overtime

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kenshin posted:

Hah, I actually like the accelerating version. I like overtime but I don't want it lasting forever.

Yeah, I forget how bad it used to be. It basically rewarded "people keep filling in one by one" instead of any kind of real strategy. The respawn times seem longer, too?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I forget how bad it used to be. It basically rewarded "people keep filling in one by one" instead of any kind of real strategy. The respawn times seem longer, too?

Yeah. As soon as Overtime hits, all respawn times are increased by a little bit. Maybe 2 seconds?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's also a big contributing factor to 1 hero limit

the neverending hell of over tracer time needed to end

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Got plat, so I'm content. Time to troll the hell out of comp for the rest of the season.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Overtime loving rules, don't be an idiot. Comebacks are very exciting, even if you are on the receiving end. If don't like the game taking a little longer, spend your time doing something you actually enjoy.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rufio posted:

Overtime loving rules, don't be an idiot. Comebacks are very exciting, even if you are on the receiving end. If don't like the game taking a little longer, spend your time doing something you actually enjoy.

There's nothing cool or fun about people switching to Dva, Tracer, Winston just to draw out a match. Overtime sucks.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Rufio posted:

:yeah:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
No but really if you think Overtime is good you're objectively wrong.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Verranicus posted:

You're literally using objectively incorrectly.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Verranicus posted:

No but really I think Overtime is bad and am objectively wrong.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Whatever, I got the skin I wanted just now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't like Overtime but there are degenerate cases both when you do have it and when you don't, and the patch that made it so it counts down faster the longer it lasts (plus 1HL) solved like 90% of the problems with the original implementation.

So it's okay, basically.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rufio posted:

Comebacks are great when they involve more back and forth and fighting. Comebacks are bad when they involvs picking an elusive/fast character and jumping around on the point for 2 minutes until the other team dies from attrition.

Although most of those situations are bad map design.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Verranicus posted:

The only time overtime is bad is on 2CP maps, which is because of 2CP maps, not overtime

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think removing Overtime would make those maps worse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, because the problems are due to the map layout, which is what should be changed, not the mechanic of overtime.

gotta get a forward spawn for defense 1st point and move spawn for 2nd farther away from it and you're guchi

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think this is what they were trying to prevent with time bank as well since in stopwatch there's a certain point where you already know you lost, but with timebank you can theoretically take a cart all the way from the start to the final checkpoint during overtime
That's true. I guess you could try a hybrid system for control points where you still have timebank but the stopwatch is used to break ties (so you can always try and go one point beyond your opponent even if you miss their time). Payload seems fine as-is because ties are very unlikely.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i've never had a route 66 or eichenwalde game not go into overtime.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my Warcraft guild posted:

i've never had a route 66 or eichenwalde game not go into overtime.

the only way to avoid overtime for sure on payload is to wipe the enemy team right before the timer runs out, so it stands to reason that you'll get that sometimes. especially on 66, which has a very short walk back on the final objective for the attackers

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Overtime is only even slightly an issue because of a few invincibility abilities that make maps like Route 66 or Hanamura take forever because of the tiny spawn to point distance for the attackers. If invincibility abilities didn't count for taking points, it wouldn't even be something people care about.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you couldn't capture or defend points while invincible that would help games significantly, yeah.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

If you couldn't capture or defend points while invincible that would help games significantly, yeah.

Actually that would be stupid as hell and needlessly cut off a large chunk of design space.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kashuno posted:

Actually that would be stupid as hell and needlessly cut off a large chunk of design space.

Like what?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i love playing overwatch. woosh woosh kablam zoom.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If being invulnerable didn't help hold/cap points Mei would go down in usefulness, the ability to create unique niche stall heroes that make use of invul to make up for low damage to hold points would be gone, any hero that could possibly have an invul ult would be gone, etc.

The Walrus posted:

i love playing overwatch. woosh woosh kablam zoom.

same tbh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Tranquility allowing Zenyatta to cap things is one of the reasons that ult is good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Tranquility allowing Zenyatta to cap things is one of the reasons that ult is good.

:agreed:

Can you imagine if Zen turned his ult on during a hold and immediately stopped being able to hold the point what a stupid thing that would be

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 23, 2016

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Zen nutcracker skin is insanely good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i tried like three times, unsuccessfully, to make it through the first game so i never played the sequels :shobon:

The first two games are honestly pretty boring, but I loved Inquisition.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It literally blows my mind that people would be silly enough to unironically argue that overtime is bad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious about Bastion. I get why he's bad in general but I'm surprised that he's completely unusable in high-level play. It seems to me like there should be some defensive scenarios where he's good behind some shields considering his raw DPS.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're a character that is effective by sitting in one spot and won't be able to respond if someone manages to sneak past your shields. If you get caught in recon mode your gun will do jack poo poo to save you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bastion gets destroyed by any hero with movement and/or the ability to react quickly, in a game that at the top level greatly favors movement and fast reaction times.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kashuno posted:

You're a character that is effective by sitting in one spot and won't be able to respond if someone manages to sneak past your shields. If you get caught in recon mode your gun will do jack poo poo to save you.

Pretty much. At best, a bastion caught off guard will take their enemy with them, which is not a winning strategy on Defense.

Bastion is just too easily countered by too many characters to last. The entire Offense roster is good against him, half of the Defenders are, Zenyatta can kill him as fast as he tears down a Reinhardt shield or a D.Va matrix, and Ana can just put him to sleep and make him irrelevant. Literally half the cast can beat him with minimal help and any amount of teamwork makes their job easy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there any good way to punch through that first chokepoint on Eichenwalde? My games there just wind up a meatgrinder.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Phara, Dva, and Junkrat can jump over the busted house to flank. Otherwise, best bet's probably to speed boost through.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bruceski posted:

Is there any good way to punch through that first chokepoint on Eichenwalde? My games there just wind up a meatgrinder.
Go to the right and fly a Pharah or D.Va across the death pit, focus down a support, cause a distraction, use comms to get your team to push at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Flanking with Pharah and/or DVa usually pulls more than an equal amount of defenders away from the choke (or lets you get picks as injured players fall back and aren't paying attention to you) and so your team outnumbers them at the choke. Then your team just needs to push through together and you should be good. I've never really had a huge amount of trouble at the first point, it's later that's really rough.