Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MrMoo posted:

New job status: trying to understand completely undocumented crazy code that even includes C++17 pieces. Money making software maintained by two twenty-somethings that does not build out-of-the-box, zero monitoring, far too many sleep statements. Initially it was allegedly targeting performance but with multiple maps being referenced by every request and request data never being purged it clearly is not now. The hardware follows the software, I have an 8 core Xeon workstation with 32GB ram, a $50 HDD, 4×1080p 27" monitors (HP SV27 ~$200 each) and is running CentOS 7. I cannot even use the nVidia drivers on the dual Quadro 2000 cards because the driver and Xorg hates that two are using HDMI and the other two DVI or something, Nouveau doesn't care.

Configuration is stored in MySQL and for no sensible reason orders are stored pretty much write-only in both MySQL and Cassandra.

IDE of choice is QtCreator. They do have Slack, but email is Rackspace hosted Exchange.

wait why is a linux system using XOrg? GPUs are for number crunching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
also, any recommendations on how many years into your career to start applying for roles with "senior" in the title? i don't want to get laughed out the door and currently have a year and a half in full time employment

the job postings don't say anything.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

gonadic io posted:

also, any recommendations on how many years into your career to start applying for roles with "senior" in the title? i don't want to get laughed out the door and currently have a year and a half in full time employment

imo 0-2 is jr, 3-5 is mid-level, 5+ is senior unless you work for a company that throws around titles instead of raises

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
i'd say being a senior is not so much about years on the clock as it is about accumulated maturity, acceptance of responsibility, clarity of communication, absorbed experience, and ability to lead without carrot/stick/bullying.

go for it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

gonadic io posted:

if your current title doesn't say jr (doesn't matter what title you started with, just what you're leaving as) and you think you have enough projects/whatever to demonstrate what you believe is enough for a senior position, go for it

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

meatpotato posted:

That sounds very frustrating

Did they hire you to inject some discipline? Or are you just going to pile on the hacks?

P.S. C++17 isn't something to complain about, is it? I've only been using C++ for a year but vastly enjoy the C++11 and newer alternatives to the old ways.

The technical debt is staggering, the developers are quite interested in me fixing things but I think the "Head of Technology" doesn't really care, I'll find out next week when I'm back in NYC. Apparently they had one dev before promising the world but then left at the last minute due to some golden opportunity.

C++17 just means they are a chasing new GCC releases all the time and their IDE of choice has no idea. It's not a complaint just a bit messy.

leper khan posted:

wait why is a linux system using XOrg? GPUs are for number crunching.

Workstations as a desktop, the only servers are production, UAT, and beta. Apparently they had VMs before but that promoted a copy&paste of the VM mentality and they did not know how to rebuild the VM.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gonadic io posted:

you can try and you'll get laughed out the resume filtering rather than out the door. By the time they bring you in for an in-person interview, you have to assume they at least have read the resumes and seen who the candidate is, not just spending time interviewing everyone, and then it's on them as much as you. There's not a lot of risk applying to rando jobs, and if you have a common name it's probably even simpler since they wouldn't remember you next time around.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

lea esi, [ebp+yourposts]
lea edi, [ebp+gaschamber]
mov ecx, size yourposts
rep movsb

gas chamber exists on the stack for some reason
not using movsd
b+ see me

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MrMoo posted:

The technical debt is staggering, the developers are quite interested in me fixing things but I think the "Head of Technology" doesn't really care, I'll find out next week when I'm back in NYC. Apparently they had one dev before promising the world but then left at the last minute due to some golden opportunity.

C++17 just means they are a chasing new GCC releases all the time and their IDE of choice has no idea. It's not a complaint just a bit messy.

Workstations as a desktop, the only servers are production, UAT, and beta. Apparently they had VMs before but that promoted a copy&paste of the VM mentality and they did not know how to rebuild the VM.

despite what you may have heard, 2016 was not the year of the Linux desktop and neither will be 2017. a machine that powerful is best used by connecting remotely and starting up whatever job you want. if you want to deal with your graphical windowing environment messing around with your number crunching go ahead though I guess.

what assurances do you have that there isn't a bug in the poorly maintained Linux gfx drivers such that your texture memory for XOrg isn't clobbering the memory you're trying to use for learning or analysis. dual use gfx cards never sounded like a great idea to me. best case the thing you actually care about runs 30% slower so you can have transparent glossy windows.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ahmeni posted:

fetch is pretty sweet, it's like xmlhttprequest for humans

stop trying to make fetch happen. it's not going to happen.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Blinkz0rz posted:

imo 0-2 is jr, 3-5 is mid-level, 5+ is senior unless you work for a company that throws around titles instead of raises

when you're in a position that you see devs outside of your company be absolutely incapable of doing any research at all yet a number of them probably have senior in their title it basically makes those things totally meaningless for you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MononcQc posted:

you can try and you'll get laughed out the resume filtering rather than out the door. By the time they bring you in for an in-person interview, you have to assume they at least have read the resumes and seen who the candidate is, not just spending time interviewing everyone, and then it's on them as much as you. There's not a lot of risk applying to rando jobs, and if you have a common name it's probably even simpler since they wouldn't remember you next time around.

really? i thought most decent companies were one and done, and you're blacklisted if you apply and don't get a job (apple does this i think)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

carry on then posted:

really? i thought most decent companies were one and done, and you're blacklisted if you apply and don't get a job (apple does this i think)

Put out job ad, get 200 applications, you pick the best one and the other 199 are blocked forever from applying in the future. It sounds dumb enough that its probably true.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

HoboMan posted:

i need a web app that can run offline, is javascript my only option?

lol it needs to be "secure" too. i said this was literally impossible, am i right?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

meatpotato posted:

P.S. C++17 isn't something to complain about, is it? I've only been using C++ for a year but vastly enjoy the C++11 and newer alternatives to the old ways.
C++17 isn't really a thing yet (the official standard is not even fully ratified, implementations are mostly buggy), so using it is the equivalent of using alpha versions of JS frameworks. (As opposed to using beta versions, which is basically the norm JS land :v:)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

9-Volt Assault posted:

Put out job ad, get 200 applications, you pick the best one and the other 199 are blocked forever from applying in the future. It sounds dumb enough that its probably true.

recruiter puts out ad, recruiter gets 200 applications, recruiter runs 200 applications through a bunch of macros that eliminates 190 applications for completely arbitrary reasons, employer is given 10 and picks 5 to interview, recruiter is given a sack of cash, recruiter instantly forgets the 195 rejected applicants who could apply every day for a year and the recruiter still wouldn't notice.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

carry on then posted:

i would be surprised. you can certainly be blacklisted for being a lovely person, but if you're just failing to meet the bar then they accept that a year or so later you might actually have grown as a developer.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

HoboMan posted:

lol it needs to be "secure" too. i said this was literally impossible, am i right?

looks like you're writing a native app!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
c tp s:

currently deciding between "Computer Science Postgraduate Researcher in Dynamic Programming" or "Computer Science PhD Student in Dynamic Programming"

i mean it's pretty obvious that the first is a phd, since i talk about teaching, speaking at conferences and my published papers

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
c tp s: neural nets are weird dark magicks and I have no idea how to beat a random guess over this dataset or if you even could.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo

gonadic io posted:

I went from 1.5 year position post grad school (M.S. in C.S.) directly to a senior role and have been happily there for six years. I treat my 4 years in grad school as "professional experience" and now am 10+ years. My point is, if you have a PhD you are senior.

Moreleth fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 23, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

help i'm trying to organize my poo poo C project and i haven't tried to organize a poo poo C project really

something seems wrong with filling files with relative directory traversal a la #include "../poop/poop.h"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Moreleth posted:

I went from 1.5 year position post grad school (M.S. in C.S.) directly to a senior role and have been happily there for six years. I treat my 4 years in grad school as "professional experience" and now am 10+ years. My point is, if you have a PhD you are senior.

phd (even in CS) is not a strong indicator of competence in programming

I know a bunch from good schools that just can't.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

carry on then posted:

that's basically only apple. most large companies encourage you to reapply in a year unless you were rejected because you punched an interviewer or something

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

gas chamber exists on the stack for some reason
not using movsd
b+ see me

fair

I should really just have gone for overwriting them with zeroes I guess

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Soricidus posted:

fair

I should really just have gone for overwriting them with zeroes I guess

Since my posts are in no way contiguous, you would just overwrite your return adress. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Luigi Thirty posted:

help i'm trying to organize my poo poo C project and i haven't tried to organize a poo poo C project really

something seems wrong with filling files with relative directory traversal a la #include "../poop/poop.h"

what i've most seen is at the root of your project folder you shove all your .h files into an incl subdirectory and -I that in your makefile

so /home/luigi30/projects/poop/incl/poop.h or whatever, then ~luigi30/projects/poop/Makefile has -Iincl and your #include is just "poop.h"

in c++ you'd have subfolders under incl for representing namespaces i guess

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

Apple does not do this

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

your IDE or makefile setup should let you just #include "poop/poop.h" or even #include "poop.h"

if it doesn't massage it until it does

edit: this is in one of your Github repos right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

your IDE or makefile setup should let you just #include "poop/poop.h" or even #include "poop.h"

if it doesn't massage it until it does

edit: this is in one of your Github repos right?

lol my IDE is notepad and my makefile is vc <big-rear end list of .c files> -lamiga -o game.exe

https://github.com/Luigi30/amigahardware/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

that's basically only apple. most large companies encourage you to reapply in a year unless you were rejected because you punched an interviewer or something

where does this even come from?

if you don't get a specific position for which you were interviewing, feel free to apply for any others at any time

and hell, if it's in an area like tools or frameworks, send me your resume too

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i feel like my job is actually making me worse at programming

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the other day at work a phd sent me a six line script that they wanted me to run on the cluster

literally every line had an error including the import line at the top

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

HoboMan posted:

i feel like my job is actually making me worse at programming

this is a good time to reflect to see if this statement is true

if it is, :sever:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

where does this even come from?

if you don't get a specific position for which you were interviewing, feel free to apply for any others at any time

and hell, if it's in an area like tools or frameworks, send me your resume too

can you hire the fastlane people so there's someone in the Xcode department who knows how humans build iOS apps

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

leper khan posted:

phd (even in CS) is not a strong indicator of competence in programming

neither is having senior in front of your job title

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
another definition of senior is someone who's got thousand deploy stare from a bunch of subjectively large scale full lifecycle projects.

but they'll return to the trenches again anyway.

it's all they know.

maybe we'll win this time.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ahmeni posted:

can you hire the fastlane people so there's someone in the Xcode department who knows how humans build iOS apps

maybe once someone at twitter figures out that fabric is a pointless money pit and lays them all off

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ahmeni posted:

fastlane only looks good because it's in the same ecosystem as cocoapods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well I wrote a makefile but I can't figure out why the object files aren't being created in /obj instead of the same folder as the source files

(yes I know the clean rule is wrong)

• Locked thread