Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I would totally see a Sanderson film, especially if it pandered to the magic system. When I watch Marvel movies I get annoyed because they try to have it all (magic, comedy, drama, comedy, romance, comedy, catharsis, comedy, etc), but I feel with Sanderson you could just say, "Hey we're just making a cool looking movie where crazy poo poo happens," and it would be easy to turn off your brain and watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Wasn't the deal that the Cosmere was optioned so potentially we could see a Sanderson Cinematic Universe with a single Hoid actor showing up in all the movies?

I don't think I'd want a Stormlight Archive series of movies. The books are among some of the largest fantasy out there, and they already have to cut 85% of smaller novels like Harry Potter to fit a normal running time. Mistborn would certainly work as a series of movies, but Stormlight Archive is just too ambitious to make good movies out of.

I would be interested in seeing if they stick to the inhabitants of Alethkar mostly being Asian, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reckoners would be fun movies

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I just love that he is very aware of how some of his stuff rubs (some) people the wrong way. On Edgedancer...

quote:

When I decided I wasn’t going to kill myself (and my team) trying to get Oathbringer out in 2016, I committed to writing this novella to tide people over. I think you’ll enjoy this one, unless you’re one of the people that Lift drives crazy. In which case you’ll probably still enjoy it, but also want to punch her in the face for being too awesome.
This is so much healthier than getting bitter on Reddit or Twitter and then refusing to write books or interact with ungrateful fans.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Wasn't the deal that the Cosmere was optioned so potentially we could see a Sanderson Cinematic Universe with a single Hoid actor showing up in all the movies?

I don't think I'd want a Stormlight Archive series of movies. The books are among some of the largest fantasy out there, and they already have to cut 85% of smaller novels like Harry Potter to fit a normal running time. Mistborn would certainly work as a series of movies, but Stormlight Archive is just too ambitious to make good movies out of.
Mistborn and stormlight are both being worked on (VERY early stages). Brandon thinks mistborn will be first but too early to see.

quote:

I would be interested in seeing if they stick to the inhabitants of Alethkar mostly being Asian, though.

That's actually what first attracted the Chinese company to it. Being able to cast a bunch of big name Chinese actors in a franchise is cool.

Brandon wants to make a Stan Lee style cameo in each of his movies, where he "[dies] in a creative way in each film as revenge for characters I have killed."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I just love that he is very aware of how some of his stuff rubs (some) people the wrong way. On Edgedancer...
This is so much healthier than getting bitter on Reddit or Twitter and then refusing to write books or interact with ungrateful fans.

He seems pretty self aware.

His podcast, Writing Excuses, frequently expresses strong feminists views and often their discussion dives into issues of race, gender, etc, though Sanderson himself sometimes doesn't add too much to those discussions.

I think he's very aware of his reputation and some of the less fortunate things he's said in the past, and generally is trying to be a good dude. He's a mormon, and it's very obvious that his upbringing has influenced his novels. But he also seems like the kind of guy who is willing to sit down with people who don't share his viewpoint and have an honest conversation rather than a lecture. In some ways he just comes off as a little naive though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Brandon wants to make a Stan Lee style cameo in each of his movies, where he "[dies] in a creative way in each film as revenge for characters I have killed."
Ha nice, Peter Jackson does a similar thing for all his movies. I like going back and trying to find out which character he's played.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to pickup AU and do some rereads + skim the wikis for other books. I'm starting to mix all of his projects together and it's only going to get worse.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Based on State of Sanderson, looks like his tired of epic fantasy. Next years promise.... more YA and Waxand Wayne, yay. At least Stormlight Archives will keep coming every 3 years or so

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not happy about him doing even more YA crap either but if it helps him unwind and not burn out it's probably better in the long run.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Couldn't he be doing GOOD YA though?

Has anyone read Alcatraz btw? How does it fare compared to Lift/reckoners?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

NeruVolpi posted:

Couldn't he be doing GOOD YA though?

Has anyone read Alcatraz btw? How does it fare compared to Lift/reckoners?

It's aimed at much younger audience. Something like 9-12 year olds. So... Probably no baby murdering.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Personally I really like his YA stuff. Even Arcatraz is decent if you are into his particularly bad brand of dad jokes.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I liked Rithmatist a lot more than the Reckoners stuff, so I'm looking forward to that.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Rithmatist 2 is probably the Sanderson novel I'm looking forward to the most, just because it has by far the weirdest and most mysterious antagonists and backstory.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Depending on how fast he knocks out W&W4 (and that he says 2020 is a hedge) there's a slim chance for SA4 coming out in late 2019 or early 2020--he's written a lot of Szeth stuff for it already as part of Oathbringer's process. Still, kinda sucks that it's starting to drag a bit.

Some mixed signals though--he says he's going to do Elantris 2 and Warbringer 2 in the interim, then says WB2 is not in the cards in the breakdown later. A bit odd but w/e.

Cinematically, shardblades work pretty much like Lightsabers (while being disappearing man-sized fuckoff-elaborate anime swords) so that should be a fairly interesting adaptation. Concur with how tricky it'd be to get sufficient backstory and exposition in while making the movie accessible; SA 1 was a bit clunky at the beginning but it had to be to infodump/kickstart the world and story mechanics.

Plus if it followed the book it would start with a wallrunning Jedi-knockoff and then not get to the cool powers for another 2+ hours. That tends to provoke a critical "WTH" reaction.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 21, 2016

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
The first episode of Game of Thrones kind of did that, cold opening with the supernatural threat and then ignoring it for many episodes. Worked well enough there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OAquinas posted:

Depending on how fast he knocks out W&W4 (and that he says 2020 is a hedge) there's a slim chance for SA4 coming out in late 2019 or early 2020--he's written a lot of Szeth stuff for it already as part of Oathbringer's process. Still, kinda sucks that it's starting to drag a bit.

A Stormlight book every 3-4 years isn't really dragging considering the length of those books and that he's working on several other series at the same time.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Evil Fluffy posted:

A Stormlight book every 3-4 years isn't really dragging considering the length of those books and that he's working on several other series at the same time.

Plus, so far he's been pretty consistent with getting them out and does seem to have an overall plan for the whole thing. I can live with every 3 or 4 years with the way he's been doing it so far.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I survived Wheel of Time (unlike Robert Jordan :(), I can deal with a Stormlight book every three years. Especially since I'm a big fan of the Mistborn series, and also look forward to the Elantris and Warbreaker sequels.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Oh, it's certainly a tremendous pace--especially in comparison to "certain other authors"--but given that its a 10 book series that means the end won't be released until 2038, minimum. Not complaining, but the original book-ever-other-year pace was set to finish in 2028 or so. And there's more Cosmere after it.

I'm just one of those people that needs to see the whole arcing story for completion, so the waiting 3 decades bit is annoying. Ah well...

Edit: VV 3 decades to get Dragonsteel, Mistborn in Spaaaace, and the final cosmere books. Just guesstimating it'll take him an extra decade to wrap things up.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 21, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OAquinas posted:

Oh, it's certainly a tremendous pace--especially in comparison to "certain other authors"--but given that its a 10 book series that means the end won't be released until 2038, minimum. Not complaining, but the original book-ever-other-year pace was set to finish in 2028 or so. And there's more Cosmere after it.

I'm just one of those people that needs to see the whole arcing story for completion, so the waiting 3 decades bit is annoying. Ah well...

Only 2 decades now :)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm looking forward to Rithmatist 2. It was YA-y, but I enjoyed the concept and the story back when the first one came out. Other than Legion (drat comic bubble), I think the Rithmatist world would work very well as a tv series. It would have to be an animated series though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OAquinas posted:

I started reading the Riftwar books a few months before Magician's End came out (though I got Betrayal at Krondor for christmas as a kid, but never bothered getting in to the books) and I can't imagine how exhausting it must be for both readers and writers to go several decades for a series. I guess I'l get to find out with Stormlight Archives though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Doing it as two 5-book arcs was probably a good idea.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been rewording Stormlight and I thought of something else too. The parchendi claim that spren betrayed them and bonded with humans instead. And it's implied that the void spren of Odium essentially enslaveved them. The dustbringers were known to be a very combat effective order, and known to be destructive.

quote:

and when they dealt with others, always were they firm in their claim that other epithets, notably "Dustbringers," often heard in the common speech, were unacceptable substitutions, in particular for their similarity to the word "Voidbringers." They did also exercise anger in great prejudice regarding it, though to many who speak, there was little difference between these two assemblies.

The question that quote left me with is why people would confuse knights radiant with monsters, even if they were destructive. So my new hypothesis is now that the voidbringers proper were humans who bonded voidspren to gain power ala storm form.

Edit;
To add:

I'm just going to block quote the quotes that I'm reading into.

quote:

“The betrayal of spren has brought us here.
They gave their Surges to human heirs,
But not to those who know them most dear, before us.
'Tis no surprise we turned away
Unto the gods we spent our days
And to become their molding clay, they changed us. ”

quote:

“So Melishi retired to his tent, and resolved to destroy the Voidbringers upon the next day, but that night did present a different stratagem, related to the unique abilities of the Bondsmiths; and being hurried, he could make no specific account of his process; it was related to the very nature of the Herald and their divine duties, an attribute the Bondsmiths alone could address.

The thrid quote that I can't find again is that about how they were first helped finding dullform, and then workform, by going out into the highstorms to change.

What I think happened is that while the Parshmen were creations of Odium it was only the bond with the voidspren that was inherently dangerous. Melishi was a bonds smith and was able to use his link to the storm father to break the bond of the voidspren, and then transition them to bonding with the spren that makes them into workform. Essentially stealing away Odium's army and bringing them into the ecosystem of Roshar and the spren of Honor and Cultivation.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 23, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Just my theory, but I think it ties a lot together on Roshar:

The trick with Roshar in general (that we haven't had fully explained yet, but there's little hints), is that even Honor+Cultivation were late additions to the planet. The planet itself was created by Adonalasium pre-shattering, who probably left a bunch of weird magic and lifeforms behind (the highstorm, generic spren which bond with greatshells and parschendi as a natural part of life, the bizarre life and landscape etc.).

Humans along with Honor+Cultivation crashed the party later, shoved the Parschendi to the side (spren prefer to bond to broken humans, it gives them greater sentience i believe?) and started to rework some of the pre-existing magic as their own. They started making their own spren, and somehow the highstorm was associated with Honor in the minds of the people, who is also called "The Almighty", which itself is probably a title he inherited from Adonalasium's distant memory.

Finally Odium crashed the party, Honor went on his way and now there's a couple different magic systems overlapping, and everyone's a little confused on who caused what. The stormfather in particular is kind of a mess, since he's a ghost/memory of more than being. Similarly Parschendi view Odium and the Stormfather with pretty mixed feelings, Odium uses them as tools, but his opponents were kind of behind humans pushing them to the side of their own planet.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Spren bond with "broken" humans likely because they're more susceptible to accessing the Cognitive realm--see the Mistborn Secret Histories.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Roshar has a thinner barrier between the cognitive and physical realms; that the cognitive beings called spren can manifest there (albeit in far reduced form, judging from Jasnah's conversations). KInd of curious to know if the Correspondence surge would work on other planets to go back and forth between Cognitive and Physical on other worlds---normally you need a shardpool or other "perpendicularity" to traverse it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Just my theory, but I think it ties a lot together on Roshar:

The trick with Roshar in general (that we haven't had fully explained yet, but there's little hints), is that even Honor+Cultivation were late additions to the planet. The planet itself was created by Adonalasium pre-shattering, who probably left a bunch of weird magic and lifeforms behind (the highstorm, generic spren which bond with greatshells and parschendi as a natural part of life, the bizarre life and landscape etc.).

Humans along with Honor+Cultivation crashed the party later, shoved the Parschendi to the side (spren prefer to bond to broken humans, it gives them greater sentience i believe?) and started to rework some of the pre-existing magic as their own. They started making their own spren, and somehow the highstorm was associated with Honor in the minds of the people, who is also called "The Almighty", which itself is probably a title he inherited from Adonalasium's distant memory.

Finally Odium crashed the party, Honor went on his way and now there's a couple different magic systems overlapping, and everyone's a little confused on who caused what. The stormfather in particular is kind of a mess, since he's a ghost/memory of more than being. Similarly Parschendi view Odium and the Stormfather with pretty mixed feelings, Odium uses them as tools, but his opponents were kind of behind humans pushing them to the side of their own planet.

By all accounts most, if not all, of the worlds that Shards inhabit existed before the shattering. I don't recall any mention of shards creating a world other than Scadrial.

There's no c in Parshendi, or Parshmen. :spergin:

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
If anyone is looking for another prolific fantasy author, try Phil Tucker. He's published three books so far in his Chronicles of the Black Gate series this year. Warning that he is one of those self-publishing authors (Amazon) and has a few other books out that I have not read.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I found this part in Words of Radiance interesting:

quote:

Sixty-two days, the glyphs read. Death follows.

[sic]

"Ah," said Rushu - a young female ardent with long eyelashes and buttonlike lips. "Look at the sloppy lines! The improper symmetry. Whoever did this is not practiced with drawing glyphs. They almost spelled death wrong - it looks more like 'broken'. And the meaning is vague. Death follows? Or is it 'follow death'? Or Sixty-Two Days of Death and Following? Glyphs are imprecise."

This reminds me of that one death rattle, "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns". There's been some discussion about this online. Is the Broken One Odium or Honor? But if it is Odium, I wonder if the glyphs actually do mean broken. "Sixty-Two days. Odium follows"?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Torrannor posted:

I found this part in Words of Radiance interesting:

This reminds me of that one death rattle, "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns". There's been some discussion about this online. Is the Broken One Odium or Honor? But if it is Odium, I wonder if the glyphs actually do mean broken. "Sixty-Two days. Odium follows"?

The Stormfather at one point does state "Odium reigns" as an answer to Kaladins question on why people fight so much. No clue why or how he's broken though. Something to do with the honor pact most likely and why odiom can't leave the system.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Subvisual Haze posted:

The Stormfather at one point does state "Odium reigns" as an answer to Kaladins question on why people fight so much. No clue why or how he's broken though. Something to do with the honor pact most likely and why odiom can't leave the system.

Odium is not native to Roshar, and he came much later than Honor and Cultivation. Yet there are a ton of splinters of him floating around. Voidspren, the Unmade, etc. I don't recall any splinters of Odium floating around on Sel. So he doesn't need to break off pieces of himself to shatter other shards. Yet he did so on Roshar. Perhaps this was Honor's counterstrike in death, and it "broke" Odium without splintering him?

Otherwise it's curious why Odium should be the Broken One, you would think the title is much more appropriate for Honor.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 29, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Otherwise it's curious why Odium should be the Broken One, you would think the title is much more appropriate for Honor.

Or:

Odium is broken because he (probably unwillingly) holds at least some of Honor's power. It'd also explain the whole "pick a champion and Odium will do the same" thing. Why would Odium give the slightest drat about a fight between champions, let alone abiding by the outcome, unless he was tainted (broken) by a sense of honor? When Honor was shattered something occurred that resulted in at least a shard of Honor being infused in to Odium and it's more or less poisoning him. He has a sense of honor that can be exploited, because a small sliver of his power is a shard of Honor.

It could also be part of why Odium can't leave the system yet (assuming he wants to). He has a duty (IE: honor bound) to see events to their conclusion on Roshar first.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or:

Odium is broken because he (probably unwillingly) holds at least some of Honor's power. It'd also explain the whole "pick a champion and Odium will do the same" thing. Why would Odium give the slightest drat about a fight between champions, let alone abiding by the outcome, unless he was tainted (broken) by a sense of honor? When Honor was shattered something occurred that resulted in at least a shard of Honor being infused in to Odium and it's more or less poisoning him. He has a sense of honor that can be exploited, because a small sliver of his power is a shard of Honor.

It could also be part of why Odium can't leave the system yet (assuming he wants to). He has a duty (IE: honor bound) to see events to their conclusion on Roshar first.

Interesting theory. That would explain much, but I don't think this is actually true. The Almighty said this to Dalinar:

quote:

...Unite them. Create a fortress that can weather the storm. Vex Odium, convince him that he can lose, and appoint a champion. He will take that chance instead of risking defeat again, as he has suffered so often. This is the best advice I can give you.

This makes it sound as if appointing a champion and having him win would be a way for Odium to escape the cycle of Desolations, that he always lost as Honor correctly points out. So he wouldn't choose a champion out of a sense of honor, but because it would be an advantage for him. Especially if Dalinar can fight back well enough that Odium thinks he will lose in the Desolation again.

Edit: There's a second time the Almighty speaks of this (actually the first time, since the quote above is from Words of Radiance and the following is from Way of Kings):

quote:

You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And… without the Dawnshards… Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone

So you are right, Odium is bound by some rules. But apparently all the shard are bound by those rules, even if they have no connection to Honor. At least that's my reading of those two passages.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 30, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Has anybody read Unfettered 2 and the Oathbringer flashbacks in it? My reaction was pretty much :stare: :ohdear: :aaa:

Mild spoilers: I think if I had to choose between fighting Sadeas or the young Blackthorn, I would take Sadeas. Holy poo poo Dalinar!

Also, we meet Rearin's and Adolin's mother :3:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Has anybody read Unfettered 2 and the Oathbringer flashbacks in it? My reaction was pretty much :stare: :ohdear: :aaa:

Mild spoilers: I think if I had to choose between fighting Sadeas or the young Blackthorn, I would take Sadeas. Holy poo poo Dalinar!

Also, we meet Rearin's and Adolin's mother :3:

There's a reason why even when they thought he was batshit, no one would say it to his face--dude is/was such a massive badass that even years later everyone in "warrior kingdom" Alethkar was scared of being on his bad side.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

There's a reason why even when they thought he was batshit, no one would say it to his face--dude is/was such a massive badass that even years later everyone in "warrior kingdom" Alethkar was scared of being on his bad side.

The first two books constantly push that too. Including later in book 2 where Adolin gets to see Dalinar fight in earnest and his immediate thought is basically "I believed I might be as good as my dad was in his prime but I'm not even as good as he is right now." Considering the name and focus of Book 3 I'm partially expecting a scene where a shardless Dalinar kills at least one shard bearer either through some insanely devious planning, or he straight-up murders the bearer on the field of battle in single combat but without the stormlight assistance that Kaladin unknowingly had in his fight because the Blackthorn's just that good at fighting.

...and then we get to see full shardbearer Dalinar Blackthorn cutting through an army like Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors. :black101:

I'm also going to guess that the Thrill is from Odium.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The first two books constantly push that too. Including later in book 2 where Adolin gets to see Dalinar fight in earnest and his immediate thought is basically "I believed I might be as good as my dad was in his prime but I'm not even as good as he is right now." Considering the name and focus of Book 3 I'm partially expecting a scene where a shardless Dalinar kills at least one shard bearer either through some insanely devious planning, or he straight-up murders the bearer on the field of battle in single combat but without the stormlight assistance that Kaladin unknowingly had in his fight because the Blackthorn's just that good at fighting.

...and then we get to see full shardbearer Dalinar Blackthorn cutting through an army like Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors. :black101:

I'm also going to guess that the Thrill is from Odium.

Dalinar owns. It is known.

I'm quite looking forward to the next Stormlight book. I'm so glad book 3 is his book instead of Eshonai or Szeth or Renarin or Adolin or anyone else for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm almost finished Arcanum Unbounded, about to start Edgedancer.

Was pretty cool that there were a bunch of short stories I'd never read. I re-read Emperor's soul but skipped Secret History, and was disappointed that Secret History was such a large part of the page count, but excited to read Edgedancer.