Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

Okay, I'm kinda fed up.

One of my flatmates is paranoid schizophrenic, or so he claims. He also claims that the doctor diagnosed him with restless leg syndrome that has nothing to do with the ten cups of tea with four sugars that he has daily.

Since I moved into this flat in March, he's been screaming at his legs at odd hours of the night and it's pissing everyone the hell off because we all lose about 4 hours of sleep to him each and every night he does this poo poo. He refuses to take a walk outside and just stamps around the room screaming at the (thin) walls. He is currently screaming the house down for the third day in a row.

Now, I could use earplugs, but then I don't hear the alarm in the mornings. I could shout at him to shut the gently caress up and otherwise intimidate him into screaming down the streets, but if he's an actual nutcase there could be legal action involved if I do so. I could point this out to the landlady, but I suspect she already knows given that the rent hasn't increased all year (And is probably the lowest I've seen in the area).

How do I silence this guy.

Legally.

Without my rent going up.

edit: Okay and humanely I guess - but whatever.
You probably do not have a huge number of options other than moving out or convincing him to move out. You can try the legal advice thread, talking to a lawyer, or talking to your local tenants' rights organization, but for the most part, roommates are treated as a single entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Our second story gets a lot warmer over the night/in the morning than downstairs. Particularly, our daughter's room gets quite warm - the monitor (which to be fair is mounted up near the ceiling) often reads temperatures in the upper 70s (F). Is there anything I can check or change to get the system to heat more evenly? I know that heat rises, but this seems a little ridiculous, and doesn't comport with what I remember growing up.
We can put a man on the moon, etc, etc, it would seem we could keep your whole house at 72F, but I have never lived in a place where that worked. The box fan is a great $10 solution to a $2000 problem. I have ceiling fans in every room, that would help particularly well wherever the thermostat is and also in your daughters room. Beyond that, your heat registers (it's forced-air heat, yes?) should have the ability to close part of the way or all the way, start monkeying with that until you achieve temperature regulation. i.e. close daughter's room vent 80%, close other upstairs vents 50%, leave downstairs wide open, see if that helps. I have my guest room closed 100% and with what seeps through the closed slats it is perfectly temperate in there. WTF.

WarpedNaba posted:

crazy flatmate stuff
If you find a way to manage paranoid schizophrenia without medicating the patient, you should publish a paper.

If that doesn't work, move.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The restless leg thing is really common in schizophrenics (so, in my experience anyway, is big sugar/caffeine abuse).

Do you get on other than the night screaming?

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 21, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

WarpedNaba posted:

Okay, I'm kinda fed up.

One of my flatmates is paranoid schizophrenic, or so he claims. He also claims that the doctor diagnosed him with restless leg syndrome that has nothing to do with the ten cups of tea with four sugars that he has daily.

Since I moved into this flat in March, he's been screaming at his legs at odd hours of the night and it's pissing everyone the hell off because we all lose about 4 hours of sleep to him each and every night he does this poo poo. He refuses to take a walk outside and just stamps around the room screaming at the (thin) walls. He is currently screaming the house down for the third day in a row.

Now, I could use earplugs, but then I don't hear the alarm in the mornings. I could shout at him to shut the gently caress up and otherwise intimidate him into screaming down the streets, but if he's an actual nutcase there could be legal action involved if I do so. I could point this out to the landlady, but I suspect she already knows given that the rent hasn't increased all year (And is probably the lowest I've seen in the area).

How do I silence this guy.

Legally.

Without my rent going up.

edit: Okay and humanely I guess - but whatever.

Silly question, but have you tried taking to him about it (without yelling at him)?

Other than that, I'd look at moving out. If you're both on the lease, it's as much his place as it is yours and so it would probably be very difficult to kick him out.

But get him to stop? If he won't listen to reason I don't think there's anything you can do but leave. And consider subletting next time, if you can, so that you can kick out an annoying flatmate

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Wait till he is having a crazy fit and call the cops?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
One of the biggest causes of restless legs is antihistamines. I quit taking Benadryl to help me sleep and my restless legs have quieted down by about 90%. Probably completely unrelated to your situation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

yelling at your leg in the middle of the night is not illegal, what are they going to do write a ticket for a noise disturbance? I dont see how that would improve the situation

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 21, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

I could shout at him to shut the gently caress up and otherwise intimidate him into screaming down the streets, but if he's an actual nutcase there could be legal action involved if I do so.

What possible legal ramifications could you have for telling your roommate to gently caress off into the street?

"Abloo bloo bloo my roommate yelled at me"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

yelling at your leg in the middle of the night is not illegal, what are they going to do write a ticket for a noise disturbance? I dont see how that would improve the situation

Earwicker posted:

"My roommate has been screaming for hours, I am afraid he might hurt himself or others" will likely get some cops sent over and a chat with them might get him to curb his screaming fits or if he really is nuts, get him hauled away.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

"My roommate has been screaming for hours, I am afraid he might hurt himself or others" will likely get some cops sent over and a chat with them might get him to curb his screaming fits or if he really is nuts, get him hauled away.

thankfully the cops cannot just "haul away" a person for being mentally ill and yelling in their own residence - he's not actually a danger to anyone and wrongly claiming that he's violent or something would be incredibly hosed up

before trying to have the guy dragged off in handcuffs i would suggest having a conversation with him, and maybe asking them to go to their doctor to discuss medication options for the restless leg syndrome

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Give it a few months and just accuse him of being a communist and he'll probably conveniently disappear. Leave some Marxist literature lying around in his room.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Give it a few months and just accuse him of being a communist Muslim and he'll probably conveniently disappear. Leave some Muslim literature lying around in his room.

FTFY

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

thankfully the cops cannot just "haul away" a person for being mentally ill and yelling in their own residence - he's not actually a danger to anyone and wrongly claiming that he's violent or something would be incredibly hosed up

Screaming all night is pretty hosed up to. Either he is for real crazy and might take a poke at a cop, which gets him out of the house, or he is normal enough that having them called might get him to be a little more considerate.

I mean if OP is too timid to just lay down the law himself, I don't see many other options.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Crumble a magnesium tablet into his food. Poof, restless legs gone.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is sarcasm done differently in other languages?

In English word emphasis matters a lot and can completely change the meaning of a sentence.

"I definitely didn't do that"

Is the German equivalent of that pretty much the exact same thing?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

In Half-Life 1 why are the military forces hostile? Why are they killing the science dudes instead of helping them?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
To keep them from blabbing about what Black Mesa was doing to the public- it had obviously failed catastrophically, so killing them makes life a lot easier for the military, the politicians, and the government in general.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Polio Vax Scene posted:

In Half-Life 1 why are the military forces hostile? Why are they killing the science dudes instead of helping them?

There's an extension for Half-Life called Opposing Force that has you playing a Marine who's part of the clean-up crew. It's been a long time since I played it, but I think you're just supposed to wipe out everything at the facility to prevent any leakage or something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Polio Vax Scene posted:

You've never seen something like the X-Files where the gummint super research program goes wrong and they decide to flatten it?

"Institute Omega protocol! Nothing gets out alive!"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Methanar posted:

Is sarcasm done differently in other languages?

In English word emphasis matters a lot and can completely change the meaning of a sentence.

"I definitely didn't do that"

Is the German equivalent of that pretty much the exact same thing?

I think there's a linguistics thread in the academic subforum of A/T, but the basic answer is that "yes" sarcasm sounds a little different in different languages.

It's not an ideal source, but some details are mentioned at amp.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1yya9e/do_other_languages_indicate_sarcasm_in_speech_the/

dirby fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 22, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Aside from the usual "government black ops teams are not nice people" stuff, remember that black mesa is also ground zero for a zombie apocalypse in the form of headcrabs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

NonzeroCircle posted:

The restless leg thing is really common in schizophrenics (so, in my experience anyway, is big sugar/caffeine abuse).

Do you get on other than the night screaming?

He's a bit of a mooch - constantly leaving his room and awkwardly hanging around whenever he gets wind that I'm cooking or baking or bringing in my groceries. I'll indulge him a bit if I'm in a good mood, but he's kinda lost out of my good graces by this point. His mother basically supplies him with everything at this point, all he ever makes for himself is beans on toast - I've dropped hints that I'd be happy to teach him how to cook if that'd get him off my back, but then he backpeddles so fast it's like he's trying to murder the first four rows of the Tour De France.

Hyperlynx posted:

Silly question, but have you tried taking to him about it (without yelling at him)?

Haven't yelled at him, but I have suggested that he walk outside to burn off whatever's fueling the twitch. He just claims it would annoy the neighbours, despite an open park not 100 metres away.

I pointed out that better our neighbours get incensed than the entire household, to which he put his earphones on and went back to his room.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What possible legal ramifications could you have for telling your roommate to gently caress off into the street?

"Abloo bloo bloo my roommate yelled at me"

Stranger things have happened.

Also, if he makes up some bullshit about how I made him fear for his life it's really just his word vs mine. And that does fit the definition of assault if someone's in the mood for sob stories.

Also, sending him screaming down the streets at 10pm could bite me in the rear end as a disturbance of the peace.

bongwizzard posted:

Because he's not actually dangerous, just supremely annoying. Besides, calling in the cops would either get rid of him (Rent goes up) or just waste everyone's time.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 22, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
God drat dude could you be any more of a nebbish?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Your options are:

1. Move out
2. Deal with it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

"I don't want to take any steps to resolve it, someone tell me how to fix it!!!"

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Please post this in E/N.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a 24"x35" poster

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60298291/

Will this frame fit it?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Not sure if this can go here or if SH/SS is better

I'm new in my position as an all around IT guy, and there is an in-house built program that needs an update so it points to a new server. It is built in VB and was originally published using visual studio. Unfortunately, due to office politics, the license for Visual Studio is kind of a mess, and my boss who has the reigns on the money is out on vacation, so I can't just get a new license for it. Is there some other alternative to Visual Studio that will let me open, edit and save/publish a .sln file? I know what needs to be fixed, I know how to do it, but saving/exporting is disabled.

Free would be preferred, but money isn't really the problem so much as time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Vegetable posted:

I have a 24"x35" poster

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60298291/

Will this frame fit it?

Product dimensions
Picture without mat, width: 24 "
Picture without mat, height: 35 ¾ "

Picture with mat, width: 19 ¾ "
Picture with mat, height: 27 ½ "
Mat opening, width: 19 ¼ "
Mat opening, height: 27 ¼ "
Frame width: 25 ¼ "
Frame height: 37 "

Picture without mat, width: 61 cm
Picture without mat, height: 91 cm
Picture with mat, width: 50 cm
Picture with mat, height: 70 cm
Mat opening, width: 49 cm
Mat opening, height: 69 cm
Frame width: 64 cm
Frame height: 94 cm

Yup. You remove the inner white frame (mat).

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I'm not sure at all what the right place to ask this is, but I really want to talk to someone who works (or has worked) as a ticket taker at a large (>10k seat) venue. If you're in the New York area, I'll take you out for a beer but if not, I'd really like to ask a bunch of questions by dm or skype, etc.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

Okay, I'm kinda fed up.

One of my flatmates is paranoid schizophrenic, or so he claims.

Don't live with schizophrenics, real or imagined.

Run the gently caress away

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is not a current ordeal I'm dealing with, but it just popped into my head and I'm curious about it.

A while back I had my car stolen and when the police recovered it they took it to an impound that would not release my own severely hosed up car to me until I gave them something like $800. Was there any sort of loophole I could have exploited there? I find it hilarious that the solution to solving crime there is to further victimize victims.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I am not a lawyer, but I suspect your only recourse would be to seek civil damages against the person who stole your car. If you can't find them you're probably SOL. That being said, since civil doesn't require charges to be beyond reasonable doubt if you can find someone who probably stole your car you might be able to get damages, even if they can't actually be convicted. Of course I could be totally wrong on that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You might get a judgement but good luck getting the money. You can safely presume that someone stealing cars doesn't give a gently caress about a judgement and doesn't have a reliable income stream to garnish.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
2006-2007 Radio Sbovoda did a piece on a study done in the Israely army.

Because so many people in every generation serve in the army the Israely army had a lot of information and had performed a statistical study of eye conditions, like shortsightedness, among their conscripts. I seem to remember one of the conclusions was that there was a correlation of pregnancies ocurring during the sunny months and conditions of the sight.

My google-mojo has failed in English and in Russian, does anyone know anything more about the radio program or the study itself?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect your only recourse would be to seek civil damages against the person who stole your car. If you can't find them you're probably SOL. That being said, since civil doesn't require charges to be beyond reasonable doubt if you can find someone who probably stole your car you might be able to get damages, even if they can't actually be convicted. Of course I could be totally wrong on that.

Oh yeah. They never found them, but I know that they technically would be responsible. In this case I just mean is it really that normal for the burden of a crime to fall on the victim or am I just being naive?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think it generally depends upon whether your municipality has a government owned impound lot. If they don't, they got to put the car somewhere and I think it's safe to assume no one really wants their neighborhood streets lined with burned out cars waiting to be claimed by their owners.

Most places do have laws about the maximum fees allowable for towing and impound, but I think they vary wildly from place to place.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm making this post to search my history in this thread to resolve a problem my idiot coworker has recreated.

That said, I love you guys.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

This is not a current ordeal I'm dealing with, but it just popped into my head and I'm curious about it.

A while back I had my car stolen and when the police recovered it they took it to an impound that would not release my own severely hosed up car to me until I gave them something like $800. Was there any sort of loophole I could have exploited there? I find it hilarious that the solution to solving crime there is to further victimize victims.
Call your city councilperson and bitch. This would best be done while your car was still in hock, but can still be done after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah getting your car stolen is such a ream. In some cities when you report the theft to the police they attempt to call you if/when they find the vehicle. They give you so much time (30 minutes the last time it happened to me) to come get the vehicle before it's towed and you incur fees.