Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's nothing clever, it's just plain fact.

It's not a Christmas movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

I did 6 hours in mine today :(

I think the seat in my car is worn out as it has been getting really uncomfortable recently for long trips. I think I've now exceeded the design life of the car (135k miles in a Toyota Aygo) - Perhaps i should go shopping for a low mileage scrapyard replacement?, or perhaps my arse is just getting too old?

Swap the drivers and passengers seat. Like most cars I assume yours has seen little arse time and it'll feel brand new.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

Alright please tell us the formal definition of a "christmas movie" that goes beyond "takes place at christmas" that Die Hard fails to meet

please give citations in apa format

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Alright please tell us the formal definition of a "christmas movie" that goes beyond "takes place at christmas" that Die Hard fails to meet

please give citations in apa format

Would you/could you watch the film Die Hard (1988) at any point of the year other than Christmas?

If the answer is yes, then it is not a christmas movie

Also the original theatrical release of Die Hard (1988) was in July, so it was never intended to be a christmas movie anyway

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

You have a seriosuly bad opinion on this one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

fridge corn posted:

If the answer is yes, then it is not a christmas movie

There has literally never been a Christmas movie ever made by that metric.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm officially an old gently caress. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with my hips and knees hurting like a motherfucker. :sigh:

Ephphatha posted:

Glad I live in a pretty rural town, my commute is 20/25 minutes by bicycle or 15 (each way) by motorbike and the only reason it takes that long is because I live on the opposite side of town to where I work. The car only gets used when I need to carry something too large to strap to the bike. So, probably <15 minutes in the car, <2 hours on the motorbike, >4 hours on the bicycle (when I haven't injured myself) per week.

When I hear "across town", I think "a few counties away". :smith:

DFW is just stupid big. I can, and have, had multiple jobs at the same time spanning different cities, counties, and area codes. At one point I lived in downtown Denton (Denton County), had one job in Plano (which is mostly inside of Collin County), another job in Carrollton (half of Carrollton is in Denton Co, the other half in Dallas, I think a tiny sliver might be in Collin - that employer was in Dallas Co tho), and yet another in Addison (Dallas Co). The commute along between home and all 3 jobs was around 100 miles, one way, I think. Maybe a little more.

Back in the days of land lines, Denton was a long distance call from all of those cities. Now the DFW metro statistical area extends all the way up to the Oklahoma state line, and includes part of one county in OK. But Denton, along with Denison/Sherman, are still a long distance call if you actually have a copper land line.

I would be loving thrilled just to find a decent paying job in the city I live in, or one of the cities that borders it near me (so cities east and south since I'm at the far SE corner).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 23, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Would you/could you watch the film Die Hard (1988) at any point of the year other than Christmas?

I never watch Die Hard at any other time than Christmas

Checkmate.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I never watch Die Hard at any other time than Christmas

Checkmate.

Yeah but there's no reason why you wouldnt. Theres nothing christmas about it. What if you wanted to have a die hard marathon, would you have to wait until christmas to start it? None of the other films have anything to do with christmas either.

watching it as part of your personal christmas traditions is fine but it's not a christmas movie. It came out in july.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Die Hard is the best Christmas movie

My Christmas movie routine always starts with the first of the three Die Hard movies, followed by the other two, and then followed by the four Lethal Weapons.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
ITS THE MOST SEMANTICAL TIIIIME OF THE YEEEEEAAAAAR

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

We shouldn't even be talking about Christmas today. Happy Festivus everyone

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but there's no reason why you wouldnt. Theres nothing christmas about it. What if you wanted to have a die hard marathon, would you have to wait until christmas to start it? None of the other films have anything to do with christmas either.

watching it as part of your personal christmas traditions is fine but it's not a christmas movie. It came out in july.

It's a Christmas movie - it's set at Christmas, it has Christmas music, it's also a godawful load fuckign better that whatever poo poo is uusally played this time of year.

Tough poo poo if you dont like it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Why was it released in July if it was a christmas movie?

It's such a stretch to call it a christmas movie I don't know why people get so upset about it

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

It's such a stretch to call it a christmas movie I don't know why people get so upset about it

Why does it matter to you so much?

For some of us, it is the most sacred of all christmas movies, for others it is not. That's life.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Scrouged is a really good Christmas film

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Die Hard is a great film set at Christmas time which is fun to watch at Christmas time instead of the usual twee bollocks that's on tv.

Welcome to the party, pal

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fridge corn posted:

On the first day of Festivus a troll did post to theeeeeeee

Its a Christmas movie. People watch it on Christmas, and consider it one. Et ergo, as language evolves, so do traditions. So given that a significant amount of people view it as a Christmas movie, and it has indeed become synonymous with it, one can posit that it has indeed become a Christmas movie.

Checkmate you fuckwit. Go be a grinch somewhere else, I've got some redecorating to do in the Nakatomi plaza!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

On the first day of Festivus a troll did post to theeeeeeee

Its a Christmas movie. People watch it on Christmas, and consider it one. Et ergo, as language evolves, so do traditions. So given that a significant amount of people view it as a Christmas movie, and it has indeed become synonymous with it, one can posit that it has indeed become a Christmas movie.

Checkmate you fuckwit. Go be a grinch somewhere else, I've got some redecorating to do in the Nakatomi plaza!

Of all people I thought you would agree with me considering I'm going against the popular opinion of the masses in an attempt to make myself seem more clever then i really am

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Let me have the definitive statement -- Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

May we all move on now?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

fridge corn posted:

Of all people I thought you would agree with me considering I'm going against the popular opinion of the masses in an attempt to make myself seem more clever then i really am

Lol.

Anyways, to the rest of you - have a bitchin christmas, and I hope your last week-and-change of the year are awesome. Lets hope 2017 improves a little bit - at least - on 2016.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to be on Tumblr??? Too much stupid there

Someone hasn't read the nearly 800-post-long tribute to automotive bullshit that I have hewn for myself from the bones, hair and blood of my foes.

quote:

I wish I could track down the first guy who thought it would be a good idea to “humanize” the automated-safety provisions in our cars. Sure, the time before when the car would just slam on the brakes or pull the wheel out of your hands with no explanation was frustrating, but it was nothing compared to the unbroken chain of teary apologies that my Accent would burp out every time it made me take my eyes off my smartphone and spill my half-caf venti latte all over my tactical yoga pants.

Eventually, it wore on me so much that I began wishing for a major accident, to possibly get the chance of hearing my contemptuous steed’s dying words and smile smugly as it passed into Hyundai Hell. I began ordering it to frequent the Underroads, where the man-driven automobiles were still allowed to run, burping clouds of hydrocarbons and making clattering rackets as they did in the Old Days. Surely one of these people would crash into my car and write it off, just like in the history books.

As we blew through the spiderweb of rock-based roads beneath the Modernway, weaving in and out of traffic, I waited for the moment that human frailty would end my journey. Surely these drivers were weak, inefficient, tired and made mistakes. But as I looked out the side window, I discovered something wondrous in each car we passed. They were looking out the front window. Driving. Totally absorbed in the archaic mechanic practice. I counted: not a single one was on their phone.

At last, after wasting the better part of the morning in an attempt to create a high-speed accident, I pulled into a roadside bar. There, in the parking lot, I could see grease-stained humans working on their own cars. The very thought was unfathomable: my Hyundai was so complicated, with its millions of miles of wiring and billions of lines of microcode, that it could not be serviced except by the pseudosentient Expert Systems at the heart of each dealerships. How could a mere human being understand such a complicated system? I had to ask, though.

“Do you guys know how to keep my Hyundai from being so polite?”

One of the younger guys laughed, then reached into his pocket for a screwdriver. With a quick twist of his wrist, he exposed a hidden panel beneath the dashboard and pointed to a switch reading “RUDE / POLITE.” Mine was set to POLITE. He flipped it immediately and smiled, waving me onward.

The next morning, I was riding to work when a pedestrian darted out in front of my car. Dutifully, my Accent slammed on the brakes, barking a furious “BLYAT!” from its external speaker array. What followed, sounding like a high-velocity barrage of Russian curses, reduced the pedestrian to tears, and for the first time I knew what it must have been like to drive a car back then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Everybody thinks they're really clever when they say this
But I am really clever.

Die Hard, Scrooged, and Muppets Christmas Carol are my standards for "good Christmas movie"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

InitialDave posted:

But I am really clever.

Die Hard, Scrooged, and Muppets Christmas Carol are my standards for "good Christmas movie"

Add the 1964 Claymation Rudolph and we're homies:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058536/

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I like the George C. Scott edition of A Christmas Carol.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Die Hard is a Christmas movie because without the holiday, none of the events of the movie could take place. Change the time of year and none of the characters would be at Nakatomi Plaza at all, except the people who actually work there. It's even explicitly about "traditional family values", with a guy following his wife across the country to try and save their crumbling marriage after years of putting his job before his wife and children. Another great Christmas movie to shake up the usual rotation is Gremlins

And for the record, that "month it was released" argument is really quite baseless. Even family movies that no one would argue about like Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Elf, Home Alone, Miracle on 34th St, and most of the Christmas Carol films weren't released in December because it's been historically harder to turn a large enough profit. Instead, winter has been the dumping ground for bad movies, and most anything that studios aren't confident in gets released in December, January, and February. At least up until the release of Titanic in the late 90's, but that's something else entirely

E: in the immortal words of Mike and Jay from RLM, "gently caress you, it's January"

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 23, 2016

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

InitialDave posted:

You are not incorrect. If I didn't have to work through the night to meet a deadline (because I slept all day...:doh:) I would go marathon all 3 of those right now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks. Didn't catch how the forum modified the URL.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe, it still hurts.

That hurts way more than it should. I know I feel like such a pussy when I stub a toe and feel like I'm dying.

The Door Frame posted:

Which one? The pee hider was pretty funny and I loved the dog that almost gave me stitches, but this dog that will eat everything is... tiresome. I want to love her, but it's hard to enjoy an animal so dumb, and so persistent, that it forced its cage open in the night to eat a box of poisonous raisins and subsequently projectile-launch diarrhea across the house

There is such a thing as "too stupid to live." Mind you, we've done this to them ourselves by overbreeding them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCv10_WvGxo

ilkhan posted:

Our last big dog was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Well known for being bred to hunt lions, for having a ridge of backwards growing hair along their spine, and for being notorious counter surfers. Literally any people food within reach would be gobbled up immediately. Anything on a chair, anything on a table, anything shoved to the back of the range to cool (meatloafs, casseroles, etc). Childproof locks on the cabinets and the only safe spot we found was on top of the fridge. Good dog, but he ate more meatloafs than we did during the dozen years we had him.

I'm continually amazed at how well-mannered our Spaniel mix is. He has never tried to eat anything that was on a table or counter. Part of is that he's too short, but even when it's within reach on a table beside a chair, TV tray, etc., he leaves it alone. HE *might* snag food left on a chair, but only after you've abandoned it for a while. I think he figured out that we'll feed him and just trusts us to do that. We even leave the bag of dog food right next to his bowl, unsecured. He's a great dog.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Swap the drivers and passengers seat. Like most cars I assume yours has seen little arse time and it'll feel brand new.

What car does this actually work on?
Any knobs or levers are going to be on the wrong side, and that's assuming that the floor mounts are the same left-right (rare, nowadays) or that you can swap the sliders (sometimes). You *may* be able to swap the seat base foam, but I've seen even that be unique side to side due to other features. I imagine the more basic (or old) the car is, the more likely this would be feasible.

Time in car chat: I have a 12-mile commute that fortunately does not involve Dallas itself, or anywhere north of Dallas, so it normally takes 20 minutes, 30 on a bad day. I do sometimes have to go to the downtown Dallas facility, but I usually do that during the day when traffic isn't as bad (but still sucks), rather than at rush hour(s). Lately, Waze has been helpful for routing around the usual trouble spots when they occur.

Christmas movies: I'm a traditionalist. We watch "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby almost every year, along with most of the Rankin-Bass animated specials (I have a DVD set.) But Die Hard is a good Christmas movie, too. I plan to actually see A Muppet Christmas Carol and A Christmas Story this year (though probably actually after Christmas.) I haven't seen either yet, somehow.

Siochain posted:

Add the 1964 Claymation Rudolph and we're homies:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058536/

It's gotta be the original version, with the misogynist dialog.
Also, is it just me, or is Santa really a dick in this? I mean, seriously, shaming the kid for a birth defect? Santa?!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Idk I've never actually seen die hard anyway

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Steam store appears to be down. Was going to check a few prices.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

That's OK, I've never seen A Christmas Story.
Die Hard's fun if you like Action movies with a side of (grim) humor. And Bruce Willis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I hate being the guy who tells people they should see a movie, because then they don't see the movie because they resent being told what to do. It's a good movie though, and it's held up surprisingly well over the years.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to be on Tumblr??? Too much stupid there

The greatest day was when IS at work blocked all images from Tumblr because of the porn.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Die Hard is one of the few joys I get out of this time of year. Its a loving great film and a gently caress you to the idea that everything has to revolve around christmas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Someone hasn't read the nearly 800-post-long tribute to automotive bullshit that I have hewn for myself from the bones, hair and blood of my foes.

quote:

I wish I could track down the first guy who thought it would be a good idea to “humanize” the automated-safety provisions in our cars. Sure, the time before when the car would just slam on the brakes or pull the wheel out of your hands with no explanation was frustrating, but it was nothing compared to the unbroken chain of teary apologies that my Accent would burp out every time it made me take my eyes off my smartphone and spill my half-caf venti latte all over my tactical yoga pants.

Eventually, it wore on me so much that I began wishing for a major accident, to possibly get the chance of hearing my contemptuous steed’s dying words and smile smugly as it passed into Hyundai Hell. I began ordering it to frequent the Underroads, where the man-driven automobiles were still allowed to run, burping clouds of hydrocarbons and making clattering rackets as they did in the Old Days. Surely one of these people would crash into my car and write it off, just like in the history books.

As we blew through the spiderweb of rock-based roads beneath the Modernway, weaving in and out of traffic, I waited for the moment that human frailty would end my journey. Surely these drivers were weak, inefficient, tired and made mistakes. But as I looked out the side window, I discovered something wondrous in each car we passed. They were looking out the front window. Driving. Totally absorbed in the archaic mechanic practice. I counted: not a single one was on their phone.

At last, after wasting the better part of the morning in an attempt to create a high-speed accident, I pulled into a roadside bar. There, in the parking lot, I could see grease-stained humans working on their own cars. The very thought was unfathomable: my Hyundai was so complicated, with its millions of miles of wiring and billions of lines of microcode, that it could not be serviced except by the pseudosentient Expert Systems at the heart of each dealerships. How could a mere human being understand such a complicated system? I had to ask, though.

“Do you guys know how to keep my Hyundai from being so polite?”

One of the younger guys laughed, then reached into his pocket for a screwdriver. With a quick twist of his wrist, he exposed a hidden panel beneath the dashboard and pointed to a switch reading “RUDE / POLITE.” Mine was set to POLITE. He flipped it immediately and smiled, waving me onward.

The next morning, I was riding to work when a pedestrian darted out in front of my car. Dutifully, my Accent slammed on the brakes, barking a furious “BLYAT!” from its external speaker array. What followed, sounding like a high-velocity barrage of Russian curses, reduced the pedestrian to tears, and for the first time I knew what it must have been like to drive a car back then.

Man, these are beautiful.
I love the image in my head of a Hyundai screaming Russian curses as it rolls along.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Merry Christmas automotive insanity

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite posted:

Can't help you much with the personal social issues with porsch ownership, but I can certainly give some advice on prospective 996 ownership in general. There is at least a couple of us in the Porsche thread.
The problem is I have been lurking in the Porsche thread for about a month, and after Jimmnybob scored that 996TT it has made me reconsider everything. Yeah I should probably get over the social anxiety of it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd stab someone in the eye with a corkscrew right now to have a sorted 996 to bop around in.
Right? I think how cool it would be to hop in the 911 and run to the store, or drive around the canyons in the Wasatch Mountains in fall would just be an ethereal experience. Or how hot it would be for my wife to drive around in it :pervert:

NitroSpazzz posted:

As a huge BMW fan who's driven both on track and the street I'd be lying if I said anything other than get the 996. The E90/92 is a great car and that engine is :fap: but the 996 is just a complete package of :perfect: A few people who have been comparing the two have usually come down to the E90 if they need space otherwise they get the 996. If I wasn't such a cheap bastard I'd probably be daily driving a 996 or similar.
As my spiritual leader of something I would like to one day emulate your opinion on the matter is not helping! My wife is telling me to let go of the idea of a Porsche and that I could get one later when it makes more sense. I have two kids now, a third on the way so having four doors to get kids in and out of (along with the odd adult passengers) the E90 makes more sense. I am torn because on one hand there will never be another M3 like this (V8, hydraulic steering, blah blah) and they are in the sweet spot of pricing vs. mileage, on the other hand I don't think there will EVER be a 911 as affordable as the 996 right now. Later in life I would like to think that I will be able to afford a turbo Porsche when I am ready for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
counterpoint: 996 headlights :barf:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My wife is telling me to let go of the idea of a Porsche and that I could get one later when it makes more sense. I have two kids now, a third on the way so having four doors to get kids in and out of (along with the odd adult passengers) the E90 makes more sense.
[SNIP]
,on the other hand I don't think there will EVER be a 911 as affordable as the 996 right now. Later in life I would like to think that I will be able to afford a turbo Porsche when I am ready for it.
Counter-counter point: Young children are the only passengers that will fit in the back seat of the 996 comfortably.

Right now, you can fit the whole family in the sports car that you really want. It can be a daily with limited constraints to familial passenger going-abouts. In a few years, they won't fit in the back seat and it becomes a special trip vehicle that is harder to use regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

It's really rather good, but as with many great films, a lot of it is in context at the time of release. Having the main character in a big action film as a relatively everyman type of guy, plus played by an actor who wasn't really an action star at the time, was kind of a different thing when you compare it to the direction such films had been going in the 80s, plus it is a very good film, not just a good action movie.

• Locked thread