Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grem posted:

Marital property is usually divided equally, yea. Idiot MRA's seem to think marital stuff is "my" stuff. Alimony is a little sketchy but the concept is that both parties were accustomed to a certain standard of living and a divorce should not unnecessarily burden either party. There's usually a time limit unless you were married x (varies by state) amount of years. Alimony can be adjusted if either parties income changes. And yea, income can be imputed so if you're a banker and quit to take a job at Starbucks and ask for alimony to be adjusted well you can just get hosed.

The part where it can be adjusted is where the Imgur community is getting all huffy on Fraser's behalf. Apparently the alimony was set at $50,000 a month back when he was still getting paid like a movie star, but now that he's box-office poison due to his lovely choices he only earns a quarter million a month so he somehow can't afford it?

He filed to have it reduced in 2013 - apparently there's a clause in the divorce agreement to lower payments automatically if his income falls below a certain level, but he hasn't hit it yet, so the court basically took a look at his finances and told him to suck it up. Naturally Imgur's lovely community is taking this as the perfect opportunity to rant about his "bitch ex-wife" because any chance to poo poo on women is gold.

It honestly makes me wonder if Dave Foley's story isn't similarly exaggerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

both of my grandma's parents were from Sweden and that's a fact I am prepared to put on my asylum application in 2-4 years

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

RFC2324 posted:

I wonder of he realizes you can have a gay/ lesbian marriage with adopted kids in skyrim

Bioware romances are much easier to run into than the weird off-the road romances of Skyrim, I never even "married" anyone in that game or adopted kids. Weird as gently caress IMO

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kontradaz posted:

Bioware romances are much easier to run into than the weird off-the road romances of Skyrim, I never even "married" anyone in that game or adopted kids. Weird as gently caress IMO

Like in Mass Effect 2. I was just looking to keep my "rep" with Jacob up so I started asking about his past and all that.

Then all of a sudden Commander Femshep. Saviour of the world, bends over the table and does her best Joey Tribbiani impersonation. Like "how you doin?"

And I'm mashing the keys all "abort! abort!" and I had to avoid him after that.

Maybe a Bethesda style "give them a token to unlock romance dialogue" wouldn't have been very immersive but at least it works.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ularg posted:

Florida is a "Right to Work" state so I think technically they could fire you for being "Too pregnant" or your pregnancy getting in the way of work or taking too many days off because of it.

Do you mean "at-will"? "Right to work" usually has to do with union dues, I think.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zephyrine posted:

Like in Mass Effect 2. I was just looking to keep my "rep" with Jacob up so I started asking about his past and all that.

Then all of a sudden Commander Femshep. Saviour of the world, bends over the table and does her best Joey Tribbiani impersonation. Like "how you doin?"

Maybe a Bethesda style "give them a token to unlock romance dialogue" wouldn't have been very immersive but at least it works.

I had the same thing happen in Dragon Age 2 with Anders. I was just a fellow mage trying to overthrow the system and suddenly we're loving. I suppose there's worse outcomes than getting laid, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

I can't remember exactly which game it was, but there was some RPG released a few years ago where the game determined who you romanced (and would therefore be your partner at the end of the game) by whoever you had the highest relationship score. This resulted in people getting bizarre ending scenes where they were loving a crazy-eyed jester because they just kept talking to him.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

I wish you coulda done it as male shep. I wanted to be an absolute floozy and hit on everyone and everything while looking like Arnie from Terminator, half robotic and glowing evilly. „ COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME“

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't remember exactly which game it was, but there was some RPG released a few years ago where the game determined who you romanced (and would therefore be your partner at the end of the game) by whoever you had the highest relationship score. This resulted in people getting bizarre ending scenes where they were loving a crazy-eyed jester because they just kept talking to him.

Dragons dogma, best western jrpg

Mostly it was tavernkeepers and merchants at the start

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
But Bioware makes it really obvious when you are trying to flirt now with a giant heart icon:

The only way you can accidentally romance characters is if you accidentally mashed the corresponding dialogue option several times throughout the course of the game.

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean "at-will"? "Right to work" usually has to do with union dues, I think.

I suppose they are both. But when they talk about the At-Will aspects they do so under the name Right To Work.

quote:

A highly controversial issue across the different states has been how to deal with nonunion members in contracts between unions and employers. While unions would clearly prefer to force employers to hire only union members, employers argue that if a union was allowed to impose such a restriction, an employer’s freedom and ability to run a business would be severely constrained. The unions, on the other hand, argue that if employers could freely hire whomever they wished, they would obviously hire nonunion members -- because they could get around having to follow the wage and hours conditions the unions bargain for in their union contracts with employers.

In response to this controversy, about half of the states within the U.S. have passed legislation commonly referred to as "right to work" laws. Generally speaking, these laws prohibit making it a job requirement that someone be a union member -- i.e. employers can hire nonunion members (as well as union members). Florida has such a law on the books in its Constitution, which states that employees’ right to bargain collectively through a labor union shall not be denied or abridged. It should be noted that Florida's constitution also denies state employees the right to strike.

quote:

Florida is an “at-will” and “right to work state.” This is possible because these two terms mean completely different things. Florida is an “at-will” state, which means that you or your employer can terminate your employment relationship for a good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all. It leaves the door wide open on both sides. This obviously has its advantages and disadvantages.

quote:

Article 1, Section 6, of the Florida Constitution sets forth everyone’s right to work in our state. This means that an employer cannot refuse to hire, or terminate you, just because you do not want to pay and participate in a union. On the other hand, this also means that you can join a labor organization and bargain collectively without fearing for your job. This hence, is your “right to work” in Florida. You have a right to work which is unaffected by union membership. Conversely, it does not stand for the notion that you can be fired or quit your job at any time. That is what “at-will” employment sets forth as previously discussed.

I guess I'm a little more confused about the topic than I originally thought. My father likes it because he doesn't have to be a union member as a freelance and gets more work because of it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Why would a collective bargaining deal and the wage there in only apply to union workers? That just creates an incentive to hire non-union workers. It should apply to all workers at the company who signed it.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Zephyrine posted:

Why would a collective bargaining deal and the wage there in only apply to union workers? That just creates an incentive to hire non-union workers. It should apply to all workers at the company who signed it.

Sounds like a really easy way to screw union workers using the letter of the law. Don't want to join a union? You'll be treated like poo poo at work and won't have certain legal protections to do anything about it. Want to join one? No one will hire you.

Oh! Oh...

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Electric Lady posted:

Sounds like a really easy way to screw union workers using the letter of the law. Don't want to join a union? You'll be treated like poo poo at work and won't have certain legal protections to do anything about it. Want to join one? No one will hire you.

Oh! Oh...

Though it wouldn't make a difference if you were in a union or not to an employer if their collecting bargaining deal applied to all workers regardless.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The part where it can be adjusted is where the Imgur community is getting all huffy on Fraser's behalf. Apparently the alimony was set at $50,000 a month back when he was still getting paid like a movie star, but now that he's box-office poison due to his lovely choices he only earns a quarter million a month so he somehow can't afford it?

He filed to have it reduced in 2013 - apparently there's a clause in the divorce agreement to lower payments automatically if his income falls below a certain level, but he hasn't hit it yet, so the court basically took a look at his finances and told him to suck it up. Naturally Imgur's lovely community is taking this as the perfect opportunity to rant about his "bitch ex-wife" because any chance to poo poo on women is gold.

It honestly makes me wonder if Dave Foley's story isn't similarly exaggerated.

wait hold up, he actually does have a clause saying 'yea if your income dips under this point this agreement is clearly unmaintainable for you and we'll fix it up for you' and he's still bitching? So the original agreement 100% accounted for him living in kinda a boom or bust industry and his main beef is it's slightly more annoying to pay his wife her share?

Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

wait hold up, he actually does have a clause saying 'yea if your income dips under this point this agreement is clearly unmaintainable for you and we'll fix it up for you' and he's still bitching? So the original agreement 100% accounted for him living in kinda a boom or bust industry and his main beef is it's slightly more annoying to pay his wife her share?

Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

Also if those numbers are right, he's still got $200,000 a month. I'd loving kill a hobo for an income of $2.4 million a year. Maybe try not drinking caviar-infused scotch out of disposable golden shot glasses, buddy.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd loving kill a hobo for an income of $2.4 million a year.

You're a despicable person tbh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

You're a despicable person tbh

Henchman of Santa posted:

Goons struggle understanding hyperbole - an 8,000 part series

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm assuming, like all stars, it's the property tax and maintenance. Like when Nick Cage had to sell a bunch of homes because it was millions per year to keep them up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea but he also did dumb poo poo like buy his own pyramid tomb in Louisiana and all so you gotta factor that in.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Zephyrine posted:

Though it wouldn't make a difference if you were in a union or not to an employer if their collecting bargaining deal applied to all workers regardless.

It would make a difference to the union if all employees benefited without having to pay dues or participate in strikes. Don't know if that swings that part of the negotiation, but I think it's actually in the union's interest not to apply wage increases to all employees.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Trump voters:

hehehe

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Lol just wait for their reaction when the USA implodes in the next 2 years.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What exactly prompted those tweets? Did the Donald say something in particular?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Lol just wait for their reaction when the USA implodes in the next 2 years.

"im"plodes?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I sure hope it doesn't, I like it here.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well that one referenced the tweet in which he says china should just keep the US drone they seized because he didnt' want that drone anyways.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

When China captured a US drone out of international waters, he tweeted that we can just let them keep it. This was I think after Obama's administration had managed to negotiate for its return. He's also using Twitter to talk about how much he wants to start a nuclear arms race and eliminate the US recognition of "One China" in relation to Taiwan.

Basically Trump is tweeting whatever stupid thought comes to his head and risking an international incident before he even takes power.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes, every tweet by Trump

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

zakharov posted:

There's also near zero protection from being fired unless you can prove it's because you're of a protected class. As you can imagine, it's not hard make up a BS reason to get around that. Workers protections that are standard in first world countries do not exist here.

My mom wanted me to admit to potential employers during interviews that I have Asperger's. "They can't refuse to hire you because of it, that's illegal." I told her that all they have to do is say, "We will keep your application on file and get back to you" without ever giving a reason as to why they don't want to hire you. She's of the generation where she was able to work her way up without a college degree and didn't understand how most job applications are done on the Internet and that if you go into a business and ask for an application they will tell you that it's online.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

My mom wanted me to admit to potential employers during interviews that I have Asperger's. "They can't refuse to hire you because of it, that's illegal." I told her that all they have to do is say, "We will keep your application on file and get back to you" without ever giving a reason as to why they don't want to hire you. She's of the generation where she was able to work her way up without a college degree and didn't understand how most job applications are done on the Internet and that if you go into a business and ask for an application they will tell you that it's online.

Don't ever take your mom's advice for anything other than like a cooking recipe if she cooks well but even that should be debatable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bean_shadow posted:

"You have to go and pound the pavement! Walk in and get an application!"

And then you get thrown out because it's private property.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It would make a difference to the union if all employees benefited without having to pay dues or participate in strikes. Don't know if that swings that part of the negotiation, but I think it's actually in the union's interest not to apply wage increases to all employees.

Yes, "right to work" is aimed at starving unions of dues.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

No, they don't.

You and your friend are both disgusting assholes, tbh.

Your pedophile husband doesn't have superpowers. People with empathy don't have mental breakdowns because they heard a bad thing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That's not how empathy works fuckeroo.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The second one is also a handy map of "where the people live".

Stoatbringer has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Dec 23, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Imgur again.

http://imgur.com/gallery/b6LpHpT

Top comment:

:psyboom:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Is this from Narcissism Tumblr?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The lack of self reflection is astounding.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

GreenMetalSun posted:

No, they don't.

You and your friend are both disgusting assholes, tbh.

Your pedophile husband doesn't have superpowers. People with empathy don't have mental breakdowns because they heard a bad thing.

Beep Boop: Emotional Quotient Set to 45%

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

chitoryu12 posted:

When China captured a US drone out of international waters, he tweeted that we can just let them keep it. This was I think after Obama's administration had managed to negotiate for its return. He's also using Twitter to talk about how much he wants to start a nuclear arms race and eliminate the US recognition of "One China" in relation to Taiwan.

Basically Trump is tweeting whatever stupid thought comes to his head and risking an international incident before he even takes power.

I'm waiting to hear from my "the military is great and if you listen to the media telling you the F-35 sucks you're a communist" buddy why it's now cool to diss the F-35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

True, but in that case, why should I join a union and have to pay dues if I get the same benefit? It kills unions slightly more slowly but no less surely.