Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Good job Dogfish, we don't normally allow this around here but we're gonna grant an exception for you: go ahead and buy yourself a shiny new car. Something fun you've always wanted. Treat yourself, get a baller package, who loving cares. Enjoy it.

Whoa whoa whoa, lets not get nuts here. It sounds like he finally has a positive net worth for once in his life. Now is not the time to piss that all away.

I'm thinking a better reward would be a nice dinner out, or a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

a nice dinner out, or a video game.

No need to go so lavish- how about a fresh pair of socks and underwear?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Don't get too crazy. Get yourself some new toothpicks. Splurge for the Mint flavored ones if you've really got a wild hair.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pryor on Fire posted:

Good job Dogfish, we don't normally allow this around here but we're gonna grant an exception for you: go ahead and buy yourself a shiny new car. Something fun you've always wanted. Treat yourself, get a baller package, who loving cares. Enjoy it.

That's a ban

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, lets not get nuts here. It sounds like he finally has a positive net worth for once in his life. Now is not the time to piss that all away.

I'm thinking a better reward would be a nice dinner out, or a video game.

Moneyball posted:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Don't get too crazy. Get yourself some new toothpicks. Splurge for the Mint flavored ones if you've really got a wild hair.

All banned

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Guys. Guys. If you think I'd give up my 2009 pre-owned Honda Civic for anything, you're crazy. Crazy! It has a storage compartment IN THE FRONT CONSOLE! You could keep anything in there!!

Moneyball posted:

The temptation to add a 12-pack of sensible ladies' cotton briefs to my Costco list is ALMOST overwhelming, but...

Can't risk it.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

I would spend the time typing out a defence, but I would waste precious food calories that must be conserved, lest I blow my calorie budget for the week.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the news recently that she's expecting twins in May instead of just the one more we were planning for. Finances are the least of our concerns, she can still take a whole year off of work like we did for the first kid. We are already on track to buy a nice used minivan cash in February/March, just in time to fit 3 carseats for a while. :unsmigghh:

Speaking of carseats, gotta buy a few more of those...bye bye bonus money.

e: I can also probably get a discount on the vasectomy from the wife's urology doctor friend!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

devmd01 posted:

I can also probably get a discount on the vasectomy from the wife's urology doctor friend!

New thread title?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I just built myself a new computer without using a credit card (or if I did, I paid off the balance within days). As I've been reinstalling programs that I used to torrent, I've actually been purchasing them all for the very first time. I even bought my copy of Windows.

Feels good to not have to pirate everything.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

...even winrar?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

FateFree posted:

...even winrar?

I use 7-Zip :cool:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
With this check submitted, we will officially not have any credit card debt subject to interest. We still have quite a bit of debt hanging around on cards, but all of it has been either paid in full or stashed away somewhere with no interest or fees.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

With this check submitted, we will officially not have any credit card debt subject to interest. We still have quite a bit of debt hanging around on cards, but all of it has been either paid in full or stashed away somewhere with no interest or fees.

I missed this when you originally posted, but congrats- this is awesome. Can't wait to get there myself sometime next summer! :cheers:

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Paid off my student loans yesterday. Took two years almost to the day.

I am now 100% debt free

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

numerrik posted:

I am now 100% debt free

That's incredibly awesome :hfive:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

numerrik posted:

I am now 100% debt free

Nice job!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just finalized a promotion with a new title and ~12% salary increase. :hellyeah:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Guinness posted:

Just finalized a promotion with a new title and ~12% salary increase. :hellyeah:

Way to go! That's awesome!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pretty :drat: sweet.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Nice work on the no loans, super nice work on the raise. Always make sure your raise doesn't just grow your spending though!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

super nice work on the raise. Always make sure your raise doesn't just grow your spending though!

Most definitely good advice. Fortunately it won't be a problem, I'm already saving about 40-45% of gross. I'll continue to keep about that savings rate, and enjoy the difference. :)

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

I hit 40k net worth this last friday after many years of being poor as poo poo. still have a long way to go as I'm in my early 30s now but the way this graph is looking lately makes me real happy.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

foxy boxing babe posted:

I hit 40k net worth this last friday after many years of being poor as poo poo. still have a long way to go as I'm in my early 30s now but the way this graph is looking lately makes me real happy.

That trend line is sweet! Congrats!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Changed my auto and home insurance today, will save me $515 next year for same/better coverage :toot:

I also submitted my request to my lender to remove escrow from my mortgage, I could never find an escrow statement to see if payments were made on time (get discounts for property taxes if they're paid early) and to me it was kind of a black box. I'd rather just build that into my budget and pay an extra ~3 bills per year.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
After sitting in limbo for what felt like forever, I finally got a start date for my new job. It'll be so nice to have a steady paycheck again, and escaping the midwest is just an added bonus.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

TNO posted:

After sitting in limbo for what felt like forever, I finally got a start date for my new job. It'll be so nice to have a steady paycheck again, and escaping the midwest is just an added bonus.

Congrats on the new gig! Hope you love it.

I sent in my final car payment this morning! Paid it off 2 years early and am now debt free. Frees up $400 or so a month. Stoked.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

spinst posted:

Congrats on the new gig! Hope you love it.

I sent in my final car payment this morning! Paid it off 2 years early and am now debt free. Frees up $400 or so a month. Stoked.

Congratulations on getting rid of that payment! Now to buy a new car, right? :getin:

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

I also submitted my request to my lender to remove escrow from my mortgage

This is interesting, will most lenders support removing escrow? Are there unique requirements to qualify for this with your lender?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

sweet_jones posted:

This is interesting, will most lenders support removing escrow? Are there unique requirements to qualify for this with your lender?

My lender (a rad credit union, if it matters) only had the requirement of being 80% LTV, so pretty much just like removing PMI. All I had to do is fax a letter requesting the escrow to be closed and presumably they're working on it now.

I believe I read somewhere that FHA loans are required to carry escrow for the life of the loan (I have a conventional mortgage).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All it took was a letter and a $200 check once we hit 20% LTV, and they refunded $100 of that 2 months later. Took off $20/mo or something like that, well worth taking the effort.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I cut $63 in dumb cable costs and unused gym fees out of my monthly budget today :toot:

e: and got Verizon to refund a bullshit $15 overage fee

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on getting rid of that payment! Now to buy a new car, right? :getin:

I hope not! My car is in great shape for being 7 years old. Only has 63k miles! I'm driving this puppy for a long time, I hope.

(Though I am putting ~200 bucks away a month for repairs/eventual new car.)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It's the very definition of incremental improvement, but my wife and I both work at the same local government agency. We were approved for raise/cost of living increase this year for 5% overall. Doesn't sound like much, but it works out to about ~$290 net per month, which is great considering we're living pretty comfortably as it is. In fall 2017 my oldest will be starting school which will save us another ~$500/mo on daycare as well.

There will be a supervisor position opening early 2017 which I will be applying for, the immediate pay increase wouldn't be much but I'd eventually max-out about 15% more. We'll see what happens. :toot:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

dreesemonkey posted:

It's the very definition of incremental improvement, but my wife and I both work at the same local government agency. We were approved for raise/cost of living increase this year for 5% overall. Doesn't sound like much, but it works out to about ~$290 net per month, which is great considering we're living pretty comfortably as it is. In fall 2017 my oldest will be starting school which will save us another ~$500/mo on daycare as well.

There will be a supervisor position opening early 2017 which I will be applying for, the immediate pay increase wouldn't be much but I'd eventually max-out about 15% more. We'll see what happens. :toot:

The great idiocy of many people in my generation is to sum these numbers up and decide they mean "nothing." Very nicely done, and keep up the good work.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

dreesemonkey posted:

I work for a local gov't too (one that's in pretty good financial shape) and our COLAs have been 2.5% the past few years with a max performance raise of 1.5% (although even top performers end up getting around 1%). Well done!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The great idiocy of many people in my generation is to sum these numbers up and decide they mean "nothing." Very nicely done, and keep up the good work.

Thanks! Sometimes it's hard to stay positive while we're no where near "max 401k / Roth" money, but there is something to be said for thoughtful planning and spending at all income levels. Don't get me wrong, we're more than double the national median income in a low cost of living area so we're not exactly going hungry. It's just 15 year mortgage and kids in daycare and Roth/529 adds up to about half our net pay. But short term pain will make paying off our house and kids out of daycare so so sweet.

pig slut lisa posted:

I work for a local gov't too (one that's in pretty good financial shape) and our COLAs have been 2.5% the past few years with a max performance raise of 1.5% (although even top performers end up getting around 1%). Well done!

Ours is a little different, even from other local government agencies around here. We have a pay steps A-Q for each payscale code 35, 38, 41, 43, etc. And assuming our annual reviews are positive enough, we get a pay step increase (41A->41B or 35L->35M or whatever) maxing out at Q. They're 2.5% steps, and we got a 2.5% COLA this year so it was a good year. There has been some talk about going to variable performance-bases merit increases, but I doubt it'll happen.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

As far as incremental improvements BFC, how did everyone do with the holidays? We overspent but not by more than $100, which I consider to be a resounding success.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

As far as incremental improvements BFC, how did everyone do with the holidays? We overspent but not by more than $100, which I consider to be a resounding success.

I didn't have many people to buy for this year. I set a $200 budget and still have about half of that left for last-minute gifts so I think I did good :)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I ended up buying a house :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I switched to a slightly less expensive cell phone plan, they lost my order, reimbursed my phone, sent me another, and reimbursed the phone I bought out of the store. (If anyone wants a new iPhone, pm me)

I've cut down on eating out by bringing my lunch most days, and stopped going over my coffee budget by reading at home more.

I also have some contract work coming in on the side that will have a higher hourly than my salaried job.

December has been pretty good.

Might splurge and buy a game that's on sale on steam. Maybe not though. :shrug: