Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
As you gain fishing skill you get passive perks that make your lures more enticing. So if you're a low fishing level and find a place where you can reliably get some bites, you might want to try and fish it dry for the skill boost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JetsGuy posted:

Oh God, thanks for the info. Yay for another artificial way to make the game longer! You have to rountinely go to every place again! Woo!

Are hunts mandatory if you don't want to do them? I guess some as a source of cash, but cash doesn't seem *that* tight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Are hunts mandatory if you don't want to do them? I guess some as a source of cash, but cash doesn't seem *that* tight.

They're not, but they're a thing to do. If a thing is there to be done, some people are compelled to do it.

I take hunts when I can, but the only one I've actually enjoyed is the one in Lestallum where I finally got to reunite with my hate-incarnate besties the Tonberries.

And of course the first thing I hear when I encounter them is Prompto commenting on their cute little knives.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Terper posted:

Turn voice volume down to 0 while fishing for a 100% better experience

But we need to get to the bottom of whether His Majesty used to fish or not.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

"I did this thing for 90 minutes even though nobody made me boy did it ever suck!"

"This thing in the game I bought is too tedious and why is it that way?"

ImpAtom posted:

They said they were going to buff the Ring which... I don't really think would help much to be honest, the ring's strength isn't the issue.

Well they probably aren't going to patch in smaller maps. Honestly just having holy do more than 500(???????????????) damage would make the "stealth" sections of killing the axe men much more tolerable. After the 4th or 5th time of dodging it gets very tedious. And change death to work on more stuff. Or a shorter cast time on both spells. Or both. The chapter is long but honestly it's just that the combat is so freaking obnoxious in places that I wanted to quit. It's by far the most time I spent just running from fights.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I thought they said they were going to add more ring powers, not just buff the pre-existing ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ugato posted:

"This thing in the game I bought is too tedious and why is it that way?"

Well they probably aren't going to patch in smaller maps. Honestly just having holy do more than 500(???????????????) damage would make the "stealth" sections of killing the axe men much more tolerable. After the 4th or 5th time of dodging it gets very tedious. And change death to work on more stuff. Or a shorter cast time on both spells. Or both. The chapter is long but honestly it's just that the combat is so freaking obnoxious in places that I wanted to quit. It's by far the most time I spent just running from fights.

Your all-MP insta-kill spell works on pretty much everything there. it's tedious but works.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How does magic potency scale? Does an 80-potency spell deal twice as much damage as a 40-potency spell?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My combat hot take is that I like fighting giraffes because I can aerial all day and the other characters don't stand around like idiots.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What's the difference between the plus and non plus holiday packs

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Plus has a chocobo moogle carnival in Altissia.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Plus has a chocobo moogle carnival in Altissia.

actually both of them have the carnival

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ZenVulgarity posted:

Read back a couple pages, someone quoted the content lists for both packs.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

actually both of them have the carnival

Oh in that case it just looks like it's festive clothes for the carnival, photo frames for Prompto's photos and a few extra accessories.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ZenVulgarity posted:

Right now it's a few extra accessories.

Noct gets accessories that speed up armiger rate, but lock the team var, and another that does the opposite.

There's also an accessory that nullifies friendly fire for the party (though they'll still have the lingering effects)

They also add accessories that grant bonus AP for finesse and time.

Theres also going to be a carnival in January, but no one really knows if there's gonna be any difference for the carnival if you have the holiday bonus plus pack at this point.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I tried two separate base invasions and both of them ended with a fight against that no-name Empire commander and his buddy with their two walking tanks. The ones where you get the flying Regalia as a reward.

What are you supposed to do about that loving attack that insta-Dangers you if you're nearby irrespective of whether you're blocking or not? Below a certain health level they just use that attack exclusively. I bullshitted my way through it with about 20 Hi Potions and five Elixirs but I'm guessing that's not how you're supposed to do it. Warp Strike and Pointwarp hit-and-runs with a lightning greatsword worked to some extent but not really.

At least I'm kinda getting the hang of dealing with Magitek Assassins. I kinda get what they're for; they're an enemy that you have to actually employ some technique against as opposed to just warp striking in and mashing the attack button.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Subjunctive posted:

No of course they're not mandatory but in the grand tradition of RPGs, the best parts generally come from grinding the lower crap over and over until you get the good thing.

And yeah I guess it's a tad crazy but I always feel the need to do sidequests when they're available and never advancing story unless I absolutely have to.

Don't want to get locked out later!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

And yeah I guess it's a tad crazy but I always feel the need to do sidequests when they're available and never advancing story unless I absolutely have to.

:same:

I'm almost done with what I can do. I have about a dozen hunts left which will take me to around halfway rank 5. I think I'll need to finish chapter 3 after those to open up other areas and hunts before I can rank up again. I found castlemark (lvl 55) and balouve is still there (lvl 50). I may try those once these hunts are completed. Not sure what's else is there to randomly run into as far as dungeons go. I have 5 royal arms so far and the Ultima blade already.

I'm really, really enjoying this game for some dumb reason.

EDIT: Actually I just ranked up and rank 5 only needs 40 stars so I should be able to hit rank 6 before finishing the chapter.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 23, 2016

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Everything was going soooo well until two elder coeurls did a great "you shall not pass!" impression all over my party.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Finally beat this today. Overall it was pretty cool. I wish they would have had a chance to flesh out the missing bits of the story.

My only minor gripe is that I wanted Bahamut to be an awesome dragon ala Neo Bahamut or any of the FFVII ones, but when he showed up he was just Dragon Voltron

Keeping my fingers crossed that they add some DLC summons.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently the bonus to the rings only works if noctus wears it :gonk:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

wait the AP Rings? lmao.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

Oh God, thanks for the info. Yay for another artificial way to make the game longer! You have to rountinely go to every place again! Woo!
fun.

It isn't routinely to be honest. Only like 2 of the quests even require you to kill the dungeon boss, tbh and you can double up on those if you're patient. Plus they're only the Thicket and the Myrtlewood which aren't exactly long and go by pretty quick.

What's probably more annoying is the Jabberwocky bounty forcing you to replay the entirety of the Costlemark cube maze because you don't have some sort of shortcut opening up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 23, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wait the accessory only works with it equipped

I mean, that sounds entirely fair, but i guess you were expecting something diff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Pretty sure this isn't true, unless it's changed since I played last night. Got bonus AP every time when Gladio and Ignis had em equipped.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How does magic potency scale? Does an 80-potency spell deal twice as much damage as a 40-potency spell?

Anyone?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Potency dictates if your spell is a Fire, Fira or Firaga spell for example. Like 0-99 is Fire, 100+ is Fira, etc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You guys

are the best

*sniff*

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Potency dictates if your spell is a Fire, Fira or Firaga spell for example. Like 0-99 is Fire, 100+ is Fira, etc.

Speaking of which, looks like I need to sink in a couple hours playing Justice Monsters 5 so I can get that stupid toy that boosts your magic up crazy and lets it limit break.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

negromancer posted:

Speaking of which, looks like I need to sink in a couple hours playing Justice Monsters 5 so I can get that stupid toy that boosts your magic up crazy and lets it limit break.

I think Jabberwock hide has that effect too

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So speaking of, I'm assuming other magic comes along at some point or do you just get the elemancy and have to use catalysts to get anything like Holy/Ultima/Flare or status magic Haste/Mute?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

negromancer posted:

Farming the Zu beak is probably the fastest. Adamantoise is pretty quick too, but there is a chance it won't drop so you will waste your time.

Fishing up the Pink Jade Gar is not recommended gently caress that fish

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Farming the Zu beak is probably the fastest. Adamantoise is pretty quick too, but there is a chance it won't drop so you will waste your time.

Fishing up the Pink Jade Gar is not recommended gently caress that fish

Do you have to keep repeating the hunt to farm Zu?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They fixed that Zu beak hunt so it's much slower to do it now. Probably still faster than getting 99 chests in the 10k Justice Monsters 5 though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JetsGuy posted:

So speaking of, I'm assuming other magic comes along at some point or do you just get the elemancy and have to use catalysts to get anything like Holy/Ultima/Flare or status magic Haste/Mute?

You're stuck with the base three magics. You can use catalysts to get status effects on the magic (I think you can get Poison and Stop at least), but nothing else that varies a lot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

The only time magic in the game is Stop. Haste would be kinda wonky with the games combat rhythm tbh

Flare is what you get when you limit break a predominantly fire element spell.

Holy/Doom/Alterna are the ring magics, which is a mechanic introduced much later. Alterna is basically X-Zone.

No official Ultima sadly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

JetsGuy posted:

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're stuck with the base three magics. You can use catalysts to get status effects on the magic (I think you can get Poison and Stop at least), but nothing else that varies a lot.

Flare exists as a high end catalyst item. I think it's one of the limit break items?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Flare exists as a high end catalyst item. I think it's one of the limit break items?

Flare, Electron, and the ice one (don't remember the name) are the limit break versions of the third tier of spells.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

negromancer posted:

Do you have to keep repeating the hunt to farm Zu?

Yea. You used to be able to camp then you can just keep warping back to your car to turn in the quest, then back to the camp site to save you a long trek and kill the Zu.

RatHat posted:

They fixed that Zu beak hunt so it's much slower to do it now. Probably still faster than getting 99 chests in the 10k Justice Monsters 5 though.

Oh? What did they change exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for the magic info y'all. I'm gonna just assume I'll run into catalysts that will limit break my magic but until then quadcast III it is.

• Locked thread