Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just beautiful. Is that rust on the Leo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Good job nothing happened to the turkish army recently that could possibly have affected its morale or performance eh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jesus Christ someone's angrier about your spaghetti recipe than I was about the election.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

FastestGunAlive posted:

The oaths for officer and enlisted are different but the expectation is the same- if you obey an illegal order you will be held accountable.

Where does knowledge come into play? Does it matter if it can be reasonably demonstrated that the obeyer didn't know the order was illegal?

Are there any recent cases of soldiers getting acquitted because the order was found to be illegal?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

MANime in the sheets posted:

Where does knowledge come into play? Does it matter if it can be reasonably demonstrated that the obeyer didn't know the order was illegal?

Are there any recent cases of soldiers getting acquitted because the order was found to be illegal?

Good question; I don't really know. Military justice isn't my thing. Maybe someone else can chime in. There are constant ROE briefs given when you deploy so I feel like it would be obvious but then again, fog of war and all that. And although it's well instructed, it's not the easiest thing to tell a superior no or to report them, depending on the circumstances

All I can think of is "peacetime" law breaking like buying and selling military property, in which I've seen both buyer and seller punished. Fraternization is another one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best example is Mai Lai. A junior officer got jail time and a few dudes who stood down American soldiers at gun point were fine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh, Turkey. Maybe this kind of thing wouldn't happen if you didn't purge half your military for the benefit of Erdogan's little Reichstag Fire.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How does a force like isil maintain any sort of armored presence? Don't MBTs require a crap ton of specialized maintenance and resources or they kinda just fall apart?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They probably capture a bunch of in-shape equipment from the forces supplied by the major powers.

It only needs to be better than what the enemy has so it doesn't necessarily matter if it works optimally, plus stuff like T72s are going to be more mechanical and less fancy electronical than modern MBTs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

KildarX posted:

How does a force like isil maintain any sort of armored presence? Don't MBTs require a crap ton of specialized maintenance and resources or they kinda just fall apart?

think of them as motorized guns and not MBTs. its a big, hard to destroy emplaced gun that can be moved somewhat easily. they do not use them in attacks much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also you can evidently weld a remarkably large amount of steel plate onto a toyota hilux before it craps out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You basically got it for free, you're not doing armored maneuuvers with it and you don't care about its longevity.

Wonder how they learn to use them.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Don't underestimate their knowledge and experience either. They may very well have former tank crew and tank mechanics (or general mechanics) in their ranks. They may not be able to get years of use out of these things but some use is better than none

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You mean russian tanks don't just have a big red button in the cockpit with CYKA BLYAT written on it that fires the gun?

Videogames have lied to me.

E: Sorry two buttons, CYKA makes the tank go, BLYAT makes it shoot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OwlFancier posted:

Also you can evidently weld a remarkably large amount of steel plate onto a toyota hilux before it craps out.

Only takes one Abu Hajaar though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like those weird kangaroo toyotas you see sometimes. I kind of want to do a deadliest warrior where ISIS improvised armour goes up against actual WW2 stuff.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I do like those weird kangaroo toyotas you see sometimes. I kind of want to do a deadliest warrior where ISIS improvised armour goes up against actual WW2 stuff.

ISIS vs the Afrika Corps

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I've seen some pretty amazing small drone videos lately. How do western forces plan to deal with them the cheapest way?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

You basically got it for free, you're not doing armored maneuuvers with it and you don't care about its longevity.

Wonder how they learn to use them.

The blog posts I've seen analyzing the vehicle use by ISIS have indicated that they have a fuckton of vehicles, from cars to tanks, so they feel like they can waste them on otherwise worthless attacks. They regularly make "attacks" that consist of only one to five vehicles charging an enemy position, which are often decimated to no gain. The infamous Abu Hajaar video was one of these, consisting of a handful of armored improvised fighting vehicles straight out of Mad Max that all got blown up or disabled before ever reaching the enemy and likely didn't cause a single casualty.

ISIS tactics are incredibly wasteful, which is why the "caliphate" would likely fall apart if another Operation Iraqi Freedom happened. But nobody wants to repeat 2003-2011 except maybe Trump.

JaucheCharly posted:

I've seen some pretty amazing small drone videos lately. How do western forces plan to deal with them the cheapest way?

There's a lot of debate and differing ideas. Nobody was really prepared for the drone revolution, as for the longest time drones were huge unmanned airplanes or expensive small devices only carried by soldiers. The sudden advent of small, inexpensive drones on the commercial market with HD cameras that can become scouting tools right out of the box was a bit of a surprise over the last few years. And many of them are so small that typical SAMs can't even lock onto them.

Different ideas include wide area jamming, various ballistic means like anti-air guns and shotguns, and directed interference tools that look like rifles and use highly directed radio jamming waves to effectively disable exactly which drone is being aimed at. Apparently at least one anti-drone jamming rifle has been deployed to Iraq.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Jesus Christ someone's angrier about your spaghetti recipe than I was about the election.
the correct reaction :italy:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best example is Mai Lai. A junior officer got jail time and a few dudes who stood down American soldiers at gun point were fine.

Lt. Calley had his sentence reduced to a few years of house arrest on appeal.

If you loved "The Things They Carried", check out "In the Lake of the Woods" also by O'Brien. It's a fantastic novel and covers an officer dealing with PTSD and the revelations about his involvement in an atrocity.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In the Lake of the Woods will be forever ruined for me because I was forced to read it in high school. I want to like it, but even seeing its name dredges up memories of the bad old days in 11th grade English Lit class.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
See also, the Haditha massacre. Everyone was charged, even if they were just "following orders" and then it was all dropped except for the senior man and then his case too was dropped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a lot of debate and differing ideas. Nobody was really prepared for the drone revolution, as for the longest time drones were huge unmanned airplanes or expensive small devices only carried by soldiers. The sudden advent of small, inexpensive drones on the commercial market with HD cameras that can become scouting tools right out of the box was a bit of a surprise over the last few years. And many of them are so small that typical SAMs can't even lock onto them.

Different ideas include wide area jamming, various ballistic means like anti-air guns and shotguns, and directed interference tools that look like rifles and use highly directed radio jamming waves to effectively disable exactly which drone is being aimed at. Apparently at least one anti-drone jamming rifle has been deployed to Iraq.

I look forward to the return of AA tripods.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ISIS vs the Afrika Corps

Rat Patrol: The Next Generation

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OwlFancier posted:

I look forward to the return of AA tripods.

But they never went out of fashion? By the time ground attack aircraft became too fast for AAMG's, helicopters entered the scene and they were also seen potent against APC/IFV's. And yes, you can hit a drone with one although it's far from easy and if the drone can zigzag and still keep its camera steady (can they?) then it may become a waste of ammo.

But some IFV autocannons can fire smart munitions that detonate at set distance or near a target like VT fuse, if the drone is big enough to trigger the radar fuse then I think that should be the most effective solution.

Btw. while discussing future warfare I recently read about this Australian research team that has developed a nano filter that changes invisible spectrums of light into visible light without any power source, unlike the former bulky, expensive and power hungry night vision systems. It's still years from being utilized, but it would be quite a game changer if it really works and doesn't cost much more than polarizing sun glasses.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...207-gt5vsf.html

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Btw. while discussing future warfare I recently read about this Australian research team that has developed a nano filter that changes invisible spectrums of light into visible light without any power source, unlike the former bulky, expensive and power hungry night vision systems. It's still years from being utilized, but it would be quite a game changer if it really works and doesn't cost much more than polarizing sun glasses.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...207-gt5vsf.html

That sounds like it would be incredibly cool to use in interactive theatre or something if it became cheap enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean sort of specifically the habit of making a massive person-sized AA tripod for something like an MG42 which you probably wouldn't get today, I don't think that say, the M240 has one.

I want to see a SAW gunner having his mate with a massive tripod strapped onto him in case they come up against a quadcopter.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 23, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean sort of specifically the habit of making a massive person-sized AA tripod for something like an MG42 which you probably wouldn't get today, I don't think that say, the M240 has one.

For drones, you'd probably want to take the bird hunting theory and fire a cloud of shot instead of just using rate of fire on a machine gun. I'm thinking along with proximity-detonating flak shells, you could do automatic shotguns. For comedy option, 5.56mm shotshells for an M249.

Or 25mm autocannons with canister! :black101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah so you're suggesting the return of the punt gun in a military application, weld a drainpipe to the front of a hummvee and fill it with shrapnel, get out and push the car silently up to a suspected insurgent position, then fire the gun and take out an entire squadron of quadcopters in one shot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yah, there was one even for Bren. A magazine fed LMG doesn't make the fiercest AA platform but I suppose if don't mind interrupting every few seconds to change magazine...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Oh yah, there was one even for Bren. A magazine fed LMG doesn't make the fiercest AA platform but I suppose if don't mind interrupting every few seconds to change magazine...

They actually made 100-round drums for the Bren specifically for anti-air!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKn3BBaC_U

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aside from drum magazines of the time being agonizingly difficult to reload if I remember right, why on earth didn't they issue them for normal use?

The bren has a quick swap barrel and everything, it seems designed for a much higher capacity than it used.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

That sounds like it would be incredibly cool to use in interactive theatre or something if it became cheap enough.

I'd expect it's similar to something that's getting use for color blind people to let them see more colors by moving wavelengths.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Aside from drum magazines of the time being agonizingly difficult to reload if I remember right, why on earth didn't they issue them for normal use?

The bren has a quick swap barrel and everything, it seems designed for a much higher capacity than it used.

If you watch the video you'll notice that it also necessitates changed optics. The original magazine is so high that it had to be offset to the left side of the barrel. But the drum magazine is so wide that it would get in the way of that. So I would guess they didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing them all in the midst of a war, plus other reasons like having to use a loading tool and a fully loaded weapon would then be quite a bit heavier and less mobile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I considered the optics but given the bren's original design apparently only realising the optics might be needed at the last minute I wondered if that would be a concern :v:

But if the drum wasn't invented until later in the war I guess that makes sense, thought it was contemporary with the gun.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Probably wasn't reliable enough, plus it's easier to haul/swap out 30-round mags on the fly - if something *does* gently caress up with Can'o'Whoopass, you may or may not have a big box of mags as a backup.

Oh hey, just too late for Christmas-truce delivery...

Forgotten Weapons on the drum mag

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth posted:

I'd expect it's similar to something that's getting use for color blind people to let them see more colors by moving wavelengths.

As far as I know those things just hypersaturate the image. You can't get me to see more colours because I literally don't have the third receptor in my eye.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Drum fed weapons jam more often, especially if the drum is fully loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I literally don't have the third receptor in my eye.

Well at least you've got an excuse for having terrible taste in wallpaper, then.