Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When has something been so small it required micro and not mini (which is similar in size to C)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

When has something been so small it required micro and not mini (which is similar in size to C)?

The smallest chargeable thing I have is my Fitbit, and it uses a proprietary (:argh:) connector that's about the same size as mini. Stuff that actually needs micro has to be pretty niche.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some smaller things like bluetooth headsets and such comes to mind. I have a few that would likely have to change their physical design a bit to accommodate the plug.

Keep in mind too that anything small like that will probably have to sacrifice battery to fit the connector as well.

It's just that there's not a huge compelling reason for something that has a 150mah battery and only charges to switch to C. It doesn't need the charging advantages and it doesn't need better (or any) data connectivity.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

He's talking about Lightning
The post he quoted doesn't mention Lightning, it specifically talks about how Apple should have switched to USB-C. Lightning is the "one device" while "expanding that to two devices wouldn't be much better" is in reference to USB-C being on the Macbook and the iPhone.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

To cure the Need for clicky, get one of these.

Outside of that, the One thing I do like about USB-C is as it seems to not only be a bit bigger, but also a lot stronger than the Micro/Mini USB prior to it. However it almost does seem like Apple going with their version of the Lightning cable (where you stick the thin part into your device, rather than your device having it and potentially break) isn't as bad an idea as it does now that USB-C is rolling like it is. But it is always Apple that want' their "Proprietary" connector of some sort so they probably locked down that design for the iPhone and nothing else for a good long time. Oh well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The way USB-C does it is better because the springy part of the contacts are in the cable. So, the piece that undergoes mechanical fatigue is the detachable part.

Yeah, you could break off the tongue of the USB-C connector on your device, but that would be a an edge case. No inserted cable should be able to do it because the port surround would prevent the cable from deflecting enough. So, something else would have to be inserted into the port to snap it off.

It should also reduce fatigue on the port overall. The port surround takes deflection stress, so the part that makes electrical contact with the mainboard shouldn't ever be pushed enough to hurt the internal connection.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hello android thread! I have a problem and I have no idea where to go at this point.

I bought a Nexus 6p off of Swappa. Turns out, the guy had completely forgotten that he had installed the Pixel XL ROM on it. So, I'm trying to get it back to stock android, but I know pretty much nothing about flashing phones.

I'm following this guide: https://theunlockr.com/2015/12/22/unroot-the-nexus-6p/

The problem is, when I'm supposed to get the pop-up that trusts my computer, I'm only getting this:

I've followed the guide, and I followed the other guide about reinstalling and tweaking ADB and drivers, and I've tried it on my roommate's computer as well. I've switched drivers a bunch of times, tried like every combination of every usb config mode, and I'm completely at a loss. I can never get the prompt that will authorize my pc.

Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Even though you've turned USB Debugging on already, it's popping that up when you plug your phone in?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Even though you've turned USB Debugging on already, it's popping that up when you plug your phone in?

Yep. It's every time I turn USB Debugging on.

edit: Rereading the question: if I plug it in and USB debugging is still on, it doesn't pop up any message. I get this message when I turn on USB debugging, regardless if the phone is plugged in or not.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 24, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don't need ADB to install a factory image. Just enable bootloader unlocking in the Developer settings, reboot to the bootloader by holding power and volume down, and flash the stock system image from here. The steps are all on that page.

However, if your ADB drivers aren't working there's a chance the fastboot drivers won't work either. What desktop OS are you using? Assuming Windows go to Device Manager and delete everything related to your phone and then unplug and replug the phone and do that repeatedly until it stops showing up as a recognised device. Now manually apply Google's USB driver from the SDK with the phone in the bootloader and it should just work.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 24, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Go RV! posted:

Yep. It's every time I turn USB Debugging on.

edit: Rereading the question: if I plug it in and USB debugging is still on, it doesn't pop up any message. I get this message when I turn on USB debugging, regardless if the phone is plugged in or not.

It's supposed to tell you that every time you turn on usb debugging. Just leave usb debugging on for now. When you plug the phone in, with debugging on, does anything show up in your notifications when you pull the shade down?

edit: just message me on hangouts and i'll walk you through it.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 24, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Go RV! posted:

Hello android thread! I have a problem and I have no idea where to go at this point.

I bought a Nexus 6p off of Swappa. Turns out, the guy had completely forgotten that he had installed the Pixel XL ROM on it. So, I'm trying to get it back to stock android, but I know pretty much nothing about flashing phones.

I'm following this guide: https://theunlockr.com/2015/12/22/unroot-the-nexus-6p/

The problem is, when I'm supposed to get the pop-up that trusts my computer, I'm only getting this:

I've followed the guide, and I followed the other guide about reinstalling and tweaking ADB and drivers, and I've tried it on my roommate's computer as well. I've switched drivers a bunch of times, tried like every combination of every usb config mode, and I'm completely at a loss. I can never get the prompt that will authorize my pc.

Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

The USB process with Android has always been janky on a scale not seen since late-war Nazi equipment but generally you want to see if a different USB cable will work, or a different port on your computer (back ports seem to work better than front ones).

I know USB is a standard with firm specifications but ADB is really loving sentimental about cables and ports. You want to have USB Debugging enabled before plugging in, too.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
LG said they would refund me for my dead 5X. Great, because I bought a Pixel.

A few days later they say they need my receipt, so I send it.

A few days later, I get a shipping notification. I figure it's either a check, or my dead phone.

It's my phone...and it's been repaired. Guess I'm not getting refunded? At least I have a spare now?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I WISH that any of the resources I had found would have just said "put the image files in the same folder as the other files then click the batch" because that would have loving saved me like two days of effort. Thanks for your help, goons.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

edit: just message me on hangouts and i'll walk you through it.

Thanks again for walking me through this like an idiot baby.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Go RV! posted:

I WISH that any of the resources I had found would have just said "put the image files in the same folder as the other files then click the batch" because that would have loving saved me like two days of effort. Thanks for your help, goons.

Thanks again for walking me through this like an idiot baby.

Technically it does sort of tell you that on the same page you grabbed the firmware from, but I wanted to make sure you got through it (and also didn't initially know that your bootloader was already unlocked).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

The real problem with the new headphones is that they're abandoning an established ecosystem that's been around since the 1950s for a new ecosystem that consists of one device and one pair of headphones. Expanding that ecosystem to two devices wouldn't be much better. Really apart from space concerns there's no reason to abandon the 3.5mm jack.

Oh yeah, but the biggest issue (and PR nightmare) is that they've got an undecided ecosystem even for people who fully buy into it. It's lightning on one hand and usb-c on the other. At least if they'd gone full-c you could just leave the adapter on the end of your earphone cable, or buy usb-c earphones and use them with both your computer and iPhone. Right now it's just dongles everywhere and a guarantee that something will be abandoned.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 24, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
When the pricing on the pixel was still just rumors I was debating an iPhone, and the iPhone 7 sticking with lightning was the deciding factor not to switch. Apple will switch in a year or two, it's inevitable. I didn't want to deal with buying into lightning just to switch (back, I was on a 6P) in another year or two. Thanks for convincing me to stick with Pixel, Apple.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm not too sure where I should ask this, so please don't be too harsh if this is the wrong thread.

I'm on a Moto Z Force Droid running Nougat, and for some reason the Chrome browser is refusing to use the default dialer app instead of Google Hangouts. I just want the regular dialer app to open when I tap on a phone number in the browser, but the only options I get are for either "Open With Chrome" or "Open With Hangouts".

Any idea on how to fix that?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

I'm on a Moto Z Force Droid running Nougat, and for some reason the Chrome browser is refusing to use the default dialer app instead of Google Hangouts.

Any idea on how to fix that?
Settings -> Apps -> [cog icon] -> Phone app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyanogen shutting down, merry christmas!

https://cyngn.com/blog/cyanogen-services-shutting-down

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rest in piss. Maybe hate your customers less next time?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What happened to them

I haven't had an Android phone in four years so I didn't realize they were making GBS threads their pants

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Tunga posted:

Settings -> Apps -> [cog icon] -> Phone app.

"Phone app" says "phone" but tapping on any number in Chrome still brings up "Hangouts" or if Hangouts is disabled/uninstalled, it brings up the app store to try to download Hangout.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 24, 2016

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Cyanogenmod will rebrand and relaunch. There was a Dev who leaked their plans to kickstart it sometime in the new year. The commercial pre-installed OS part of their business is probably dead, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I figured CyanogenMod would continue and the company would be a "haha, remember that poo poo?" story. Apparently not and RIP CM.

The whole corporate distro existed to establish a competitor to the Google Play Services in case Google ever tried to make Play a profit-driven venture. Google's only given a casual, tacit okay to sideloading of their closed-source Play Services for personal non-profit uses like consumers flashing homebrew systems, and there was a fear that if they ever changed that and went commercial then OpenGApps etc would become piracy sites and need to shut down. So it made sense to start an entire new services platform, app marketplace, etc in the event that Google someday unleashed the lawyers on modders trying to put a quasi-stock OS on their OEM/telco phones.

Fortunately, this never happened, because Apple never allowed anyone else to make any money. Almost nobody making Android hardware is making any money from it, Apple is making more than 100% of the smartphone industry's profits this quarter because their competitors actually are losing money, and so there's no reason for Google to charge OEMs for Play. Google loses a lot of exposure in the cheap cellular market if they put a price on Play Services and make OEMs drop out. And thus there wasn't any reason for Cyanogen OS to exist.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 25, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aaronicon posted:

Cyanogenmod will rebrand and relaunch. There was a Dev who leaked their plans to kickstart it sometime in the new year.
They already have a blog post up. LineageOS.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Can someone explain the story behind CM? Literally my only knowledge of it is putting it on my first android phone like 6 years ago. I thought it was just modded android but apparently there's more to the story

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, google photos doesn't work with SD cards and Xperia Album sucks arse. Is there a basic, fast, self-contained phone gallery app that's basically a replacement for the System Gallery we used to have and isn't some pushy commercial piece of poo poo?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 25, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
An old release of quick pic, or leaf pic, which I'm trying out

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Old quickpic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-quickpic-v4-5-2-classic-version-t3204543

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Has anyone had issues with the auto-adjust brightness functionality on their Pixel? I'll turn on my phone in the middle of the night and it'll be super bright but won't do any adjustment to the brightness so I'll manually turn it down. Then later in the day when I look at my phone, it's super dim, and the phone doesn't recognize that it should make it brighter again.

I've double checked, and the auto-adjust functionality is on - am I just expecting it to act too quickly?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are you sure you're not holding in a way that's occluding the sensor?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, google photos doesn't work with SD cards and Xperia Album sucks arse. Is there a basic, fast, self-contained phone gallery app that's basically a replacement for the System Gallery we used to have and isn't some pushy commercial piece of poo poo?

I like Piktures

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
Any opinions on the LG V20? I might be getting one this week.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Teenage sister in law asked what phone is good with a good camera and good selfie camera for $100 :commissar:

Any suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tupacalypse posted:

Any opinions on the LG V20? I might be getting one this week.

Literally the only thing I know about the V20 is that there are more Note 7's in use now, even after the explosions, than LG has sold of the V20. It's one of those phones that no one has any interest in but I'm sure you'll get someone who bought one to chime in saying they like theirs.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Teenage sister in law asked what phone is good with a good camera and good selfie camera for $100 :commissar:

Any suggestions?

Someone's used iPhone?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any suggestions?

A Logitech c920

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My coworker has a V20. He seems to like it, and mentioned that it is fast.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any suggestions?

Moto G Play from Amazon for $99?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All CM web and backend materials are gone apparently in an act of petty malice, as Cyanogen Inc apparently decided that if the project leads were going to badmouth them then they weren't going to host their shizz any longer.

Taffer posted:

Can someone explain the story behind CM? Literally my only knowledge of it is putting it on my first android phone like 6 years ago. I thought it was just modded android but apparently there's more to the story

CM started as a dude's mod for the first T-Mobile android phone. Soon it turned into a project for a whole bunch of devices. Cyanogen himself was briefly employed by Samsung and has kept at least a little distance from what the project was doing, and even more distance as it went commercial, much in the same way that Wozniak has not been a big part of day-to-day Apple for decades.